Old 15th October 2013, 20:57   #1
tyerod

Multiple audio file libraries or folders

My wife and I would like to set up different library folders on winamp so we could each have access to our own music files for transfer to and from our portable devices. The files are stored in separate folders on the computer and we would prefer to not have to wade through the others music to find and transfer files. I'm still trying to figure this out but thought I'd ask to see if there is an obviously easy way I'm missing.

Now that I have done more searching I created a sub folder with a new instance of winamp. Seems to be working so far. Now to start populating it.
tyerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 21:51   #2
tyerod

Nope, not working. Changes to one instance carry over to other. Still trying to create two separate libraries if anyone has ideas.
Old 15th October 2013, 22:15   #3
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

What you need it´s actually a good idea to implement, I think it would be called "Library Profiles".. Seems like most users don´t share their Winamp so much to need it since it´s the first time I´ve heard of it >)

What you´ve done is what I would suggest, but you already said it´s not working.. AFAIK the only possible way would be to use different Windows user accounts, but even that I´m not sure would work..
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 22:17   #4
DrO

there is the /INIDIR= command-line switch which can be used to have one Winamp install (same plug-ins) run with a different configuration. that is generally the suggested way to do it without necessarily having to use separate Windows accounts - though if the two are clashing then that would be the only way to go.

Victhor: the request comes up every now and then so it's not that uncommon and generally using different settings folders for each person generally achieves it (not 100% ideal but it generally suffices).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 22:29   #5
tyerod

Thanks for the responses. I believe I was able to set winamp to a working solution using the Smart View feature (that I now know exists). While everything loads into the same library it can be displayed in various sub-folders based on the full path file name. Since my wife's and my music are stored in different folders on the computer it can be sorted out by which folder it resides in. I made that more difficult than it should have been.
Old 15th October 2013, 22:32   #6
DrO

and there's that option as well, heh.
Old 15th October 2013, 23:16   #7
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
..and generally using different settings folders for each person generally achieves it (not 100% ideal but it generally suffices).
By that you mean different Windows users? Or different installs in separated folders?
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 23:20   #8
DrO

you can have different users, different installs under the same user, same install and different config folder and some form of combination amongst all of those.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support