Old 17th August 2004, 07:49   #1
TriiiME3

new laptop?

im looking for a new laptop to get..but im not sure which one to get!!! im more about the technology stuff so umm can someone tell me the differences of a centrino vs. a regular ht pentium 4.

here are the two specs...first one is dell
Intel® Pentium® M processor at 1.40 GHz
14.1" XGA TFT Display
512MB DDR PC2100 SDRAM
40GB Hard Drive
Modular Floppy Drive
Modular 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
32MB DDR ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 AGP 4X Graphics
Integrated Stereo Sound
48WHR Lithium Ion Primary Battery with Expresscharge Technology (6 Cell)
Internal Fax Modem and 10/100/1000 NIC included
Productivity Pack including WordPerfect® and Quattro Pro®
Windows® XP Home Edition
On-Die 1MB L2 Cache
Dell Truemobile 1300 802.11B/G 54mbps Mini-PCI Wireless Card
Front-Mounted Stereo Speakers for a complete multimedia experience

gateway...
Intel Pentium M 1.5 GHz processor with Centrino Mobile technology, 1 MB SRAM level 2 cache and 400 Mhz processor side bus

Hard Drive:
40 GB Ultra ATA hard drive

Memory:
512MB 333 MHz DDR SD-RAM (expandable to 1024 MB)

Optical Drive:
Front slot loading CD-RW recorder/DVD player combo

Operating System:
Windows XP Home Edition

Monitor:
15.4" XGA TFT wide screen (1200 x 800 resolution and 16:10 aspect ratio)

Additional Features and Specifications

Dedicated audio/video control panel
Built-in V.92 56K modem
Integrated 10/100 ethernet - for broadband and networking access
Full sized keyboard and touch pad pointing device
Built-in sound with stereo speakers and subwoofer
Stereo headphone, and SPDIF digital audio outputs
3 USB v2.0, 2 IEEE 1394 FireWire (1 4-pin and 1 6-pin), plus 1 each parallel, S-video TV out, SD socket and VGA ports
Built-in 802.11g wireless networking card - lets you surf the web anywhere in your home if you have a wireless network
6 months AOL internet access (new accounts only)
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 8x AGP with 64 MB DDR video memory - for the latest games and graphics
Lithium-ion battery with AC pack
Measures approx. 13.93"L x 10.04"W x 1.38"H
Weighs approx. 6.7 pounds

which one should i get...dell is about 2000, and the gateway is only 1700
TriiiME3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2004, 08:01   #2
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Re: new laptop?

Quote:
Originally posted by TriiiME3
...first one is dell

gateway...
Get neither of them if you can help it. Gateway has an abysmal after-sales service, and Dell is.... well.... Dell....

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2004, 08:12   #3
TriiiME3

damn..what should i get then...ive been lookin at sony vaios as well
Old 17th August 2004, 08:16   #4
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Re: Re: new laptop?

Quote:
Originally posted by ethan_h
Get neither of them if you can help it. Gateway has an abysmal after-sales service, and Dell is.... well.... Dell....

< Long time Dell laptop user, never had so much as a sniff of a problem, unless you count the hard drive in one of them getting the click of death and finally giving up the ghost, but that on a 6 year old machine that had been dropped more than once in it's life time.

I still have an old Latitude LM (I think) that gets used on a daily basis, performs like a good 'un

On the other hand, my IBM stinkpad that I have through work has been nothing but grief since the day I got it, I believe the only part that is original on it now is the battery, still that's getting changed soon for some new spanky HP thingy, lets see how that performs, couldn't possibly be worse...
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2004, 08:17   #5
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

alienware

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2004, 08:25   #6
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

I second that.

I have two Sony VAIO notebooks on my network (each were flagship machines when I bought them, a GRX670 in Oct 2002 and a GRT390Z in Feb of this year), and I've been completely happy with both of them. But if I were buying today I'd get an Alienware notebook. More bang for the buck, I believe.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2004, 09:42   #7
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
...please don't buy Sony Computer crap. I've heard sooooo many complaints about them enough to make my ears bleed.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2004, 10:26   #8
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

See, it's exactly like the hard drive issue. Everyone's heard something bad about every drive (laptop) from someone. In fact they're all about equal, just everyone ends up hating one more than everything else. But in the end, Deskstars (Dells) aren't actually that bad...

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2004, 10:34   #9
TriiiME3

alienware huh? im only looking for something to use at school, library...you know, around campus. i dont game that much on it and the occasion dvds on it. so im not looking for an amazing notebook. im lookin towards the gateway one rite now..but i heard gateway is hard to put new parts in and what not...and remember, im a student, MONEY is an issue...
Old 17th August 2004, 14:52   #10
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Acer 1710 series

but... ..get one of the smaller ones, I'm currently carrying mine in a doctors medicalcase. And it weights a tone. Serves me right for geting one with a subwoofer...

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2004, 22:10   #11
TriiiME3

acer series, i have never heard of them? i think all laptops are the same for their purpose, its just their brand names that make them all hyped or now..i must go research on acer now. and alienware will cost me an arm AND a leg...so f that
Old 17th August 2004, 23:05   #12
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

http://www.alienware.com/product_det...KU-PERFORMANCE

I'm Back?
Old 17th August 2004, 23:53   #13
TriiiME3

expensive..anything cheaper guys/gals? unless i can pay it off slowly
Old 18th August 2004, 00:53   #14
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Financing options are always avilable. Its just with laptops you should get top of the line. I cant stand bargain laptops, so clunky, so slow. Dells are good and so are gateways and toshibas are good to except the 17inch variety or so I hear. Just try to get a Pentium M and not a Celeron or P4 laptop.

I'm Back?
Old 18th August 2004, 00:58   #15
TriiiME3

ive been eyein this sony vaio up...k23 series with wifi and what not. but its a p4 2.8 ghz.
Hard Drive: Though not world-beating in size, the 60 GB enhanced-IDE hard drive offers more than enough capacity for storing documents and productivity software for road warriors.
Processor: The 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 processor is one of the fastest processors currently available on the notebook market--a definite plus for a video-centric PC. It also has a 512 KB L2 cache and a 533 MHz front-side bus speed.
Memory: The 512 MB of built-in memory is a good start for power users. It has two memory slots in total, with a maximum memory expansion up to 1 GB (2 x 512 MB).
CD/DVD Drive: It comes equipped with a combo DVD/CD-RW drive, which enables you to play DVD-ROM discs and DVD movies as well as burn data and record music to CD discs. The CD-RW drive has 24x write, 10x rewrite, and 24x read speeds. The DVD-ROM has an 8x playback speed.
Keyboard & Mouse: This notebook has an 86-key keyboard and electro-static touch pad.
Sound and Graphics
The K23 features ATI IGP 345M graphics card with 64 MB of shared video memory (meaning that memory is taken from the PC's main RAM). It has a maximum resolution of 1280 x 800 pixels. Sony's exclusive XBRITE LCD technology delivers ultra crisp and super bright graphics. It also has an AC'97 sound card that's integrated into the main board, and comes with two built-in stereo speakers.

Connectivity and Expansion Slots
The K23 has an integrated 802.11g wireless LAN (which is compatible with the more widespread 802.11b and offers faster data transmission rates). You get a decent--but not overpowering--offering of connectivity options, including both high-speed USB 2.0 and FireWire:

3 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players
1 FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.Link) ports for connecting digital video camcorders and other peripherals
1 VGA monitor port
1 PCMCIA (or PC Card) slot (Type I/II)
1 headphone jack and 1 microphone jack
1 Memory Stick slot (Memory Stick Pro compatible)
It also has an integrated 56K modem (V.90) and an RJ-45 LAN network port (for a 10/100 Ethernet connection to networks and DSL/cable modems).
Old 18th August 2004, 03:11   #16
Boricuaso

i got a toshiba a35 out dated $1250 for it the dvd dont read dvds any more but its still under warranty, i have been using this comp every day at work for like 10 hours running in row,ether watching movies or some thing on it, mostly graphic desing , and music dl, and it has been preaty good, never lags on aplications and it can take a hell of a biting, 2.3ghz p4 prossesor dvd-rom, cd-r, cd-rw. dvd-rw are a pluss, but mine is external, 15" or something size oh well i have seen smaller. but not a bad computer.
Boricuaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2004, 03:40   #17
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
See, it's exactly like the hard drive issue. Everyone's heard something bad about every drive (laptop) from someone. In fact they're all about equal,

just everyone ends up hating one more than everything else. But in the end, Deskstars (Dells) aren't actually that bad...
I agree. I think I've heard more bad stories about Sony than any other electronics/PC company. But I own a LOT of Sony stuff...2 VAIO PCs, NAT router, home theater system, 5.1MP digital camera, camcorder, 3 CLIE PDAs, and I've never had a defect with a single product. The times I've had to call Sony support because of my own occasional lack of knowledge about something, I've never waited on hold more than about 3 minutes (and usually they pick right up), and the service is always spot on.

That doesn't mean Sony will be great for everyone else, it means I've had a combination of good buying decisions for my own needs and luck.

Looking at comparisons and reviews of product quality and service are still wise, but widespread "lemon stories" I usually take with a grain of salt, since some of the world's lemons have ended up being great products for me.

(I'd still buy an Alienware PC over a Sony at this point, though. )

@TriiiME3: Have you considered eBay, or a company that sells refurbished PCs? Even Sony does this themselves. Going to a company would be safer since you'd get a warranty, and pay less than new for a near-equivalent-to-new PC. eBay is riskier, but I only buy from established sellers I've bought other things from before, and they're the ones I trust. I've never bought a PC over eBay, but I've heard people who have say they got great deals that way. It's like anything else...do your homework and check out as much about the seller as you can before placing a bid. But only if you couldn't find a great deal on a refurbished PC from a company, first.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2004, 05:01   #18
m0e
This Space For Rent
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to m0e Send a message via AIM to m0e Send a message via Yahoo to m0e
It’s been a little while since I looked at notebooks but I believe all the inexpensive Pentium M machines use onboard video and shared ram, neither of which is good for gaming or other graphics intensive operations. If this doesn’t matter try and find a Pentium M, the P4 processors use the batteries much faster than the Pentium mobile. Stay away from Celerons altogether; they are crap compared to any other modern processor. Another option might be eMachines, they sell a fairly inexpensive AMD notebook with a mobile 64bit processor. I have known a couple people that had eMachine desktops, and while they weren’t anything special, they performed within specs just fine.
m0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2004, 07:35   #19
TriiiME3

alrite, aweesome...im still looking around and i will most defnitely be getting a centrino of some sort...
Old 18th August 2004, 08:16   #20
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran

I've never bought a PC over eBay, but I've heard people who have say they got great deals that way.
You should try it sometime, I bought my last Dell laptop off ebay last year, 8 months old, came with all the leads/manuals/discs/carry case yada yada yada, brand new clean install of XP pro, and all for less than half retail price, in fact I saw the same laptop being sold in stores nearby for about £300 more than I paid for it.

A risk as you say, but if you buy from someone reputable, then you can pick up some real bargains.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2004, 08:16   #21
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Quote:
Originally posted by m0e
It’s been a little while since I looked at notebooks but I believe all the inexpensive Pentium M machines use onboard video and shared ram, neither of which is good for gaming or other graphics intensive operations.
The Pentium M is a CPU that is much more efficient then its P4 counterpart, in fact it is better for mobile gaming then the P4. As I have stated before the Pentium M's do more work per clock cycle then the P4's (which are inevitably going to be phased out) and have a lower power consumption. Thus I suggested staying away from P4's (esp in notebooks) and P4 based celerons. Centrino's are not a CPU but an intel notbook configuration that contains specific wireless capabilities and the Pentium M CPU. AMD64 is also an excellent CPU that I suggest giving consideration too, it is a powerful hybrid 32-bit/64-bit processor which will get your foot in the door as PC's migrate to 64 bit in the next 2 to 3 years.

Observe a Pentium M dust a Pentium 4 (at a lower clock rate no less, just to show that Hz isnt everything)
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_cont...46E74B81713D7F
http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/...s_quake3_arena
Mp3 Encoding
http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/...ntrino-14.html

I too am planning on purchasing a notebook in the near future. Gaming is a consideration in my notebook to be and the specs I am looking for are as such:

Athlon 64 CPU 3000+ <--> 3400+
Ram 512MB <-->1GB
64MB <->128 RADEON 9700 Mobile or Geforce FX 5650 GO
60GB HD <--> 80 GB HD
15" WXGA Display

Check out the Acer Ferrari 3200 (nice notebook)

as for notebook reliability I would check out the following articles.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1186140,00.asp
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...15,pg,1,00.asp
EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2004, 18:20   #22
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

15 inches is where its at. Just try out the keyboard if you can as there are laptops with funky key configurations. I settled with my little now broken vaio because of the keyboard and the size. I failed to check the battery life though.

I'm Back?
Old 18th August 2004, 20:12   #23
TriiiME3

those articles were freaking helpful! even though every single brand isnt perfect, im still leaning towards anything centrino. toshibas will be my first choice, and then sony then gateway..unless you guys can suade me otherwise
Old 19th August 2004, 04:44   #24
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
I too like Toshibas, I know a handfull of people who own toshiba notebooks of varying age and they endure quite well (if only they used AMD64 chips ).The Pentium M's and the Centrino configuration is an excellent mobile choice , esp for college in that most campus's now have wireless access (free fast internet is always nice).

EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2004, 05:25   #25
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:
Originally posted by TriiiME3
those articles were freaking helpful! even though every single brand isnt perfect, im still leaning towards anything centrino. toshibas will be my first choice, and then sony then gateway..unless you guys can suade me otherwise
Yes, a Toshiba! Toshiba makes excellent computer products. Anything but a Sony...Gawd. I'd even take a Gateway over a Sony. But with the Harddrive thing, I was always told by computer builders to use either Maxtor, Samsung, or Western Digital. Advice that hasn't failed me yet...
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions