Old 20th July 2003, 14:32   #1
##\hombre/##
Banned

Does SQR Soft crossfade plug-in cause crackles in 2.91

I'm running 2.91 here and usually use the SQR Soft crossfade plug-in because I like this effect so much.

When ripping CDs recently I noticed that there were slight crackles, much like what you might hear when you encode a "copy protected" audio CD. But the CDs I worked on were not "protected".

When listening to the very same .mp3 files with Windows Media Player 8, there were positively no crackles. Only the music was audible.

.mp3 files from P2P networks did not have crackles. They are usually encoded with a high CBR.

So I came up with the conclusion that LAME was at fault here. I used 3.93.1 with "--preset standard -m s". This is an encoder and a setting which I don't often use. On a different computer I use WinAmp 2.81, SQR Soft crossfade plug-in, LAME 3.91 with "--alt-preset fast standard" and the .mp3 files created there do not have crackles either.

Now I'm a bit unsure. Of course it looks like the SQR Soft plug-in causes crackles on my home computer with WinAmp 2.91 because changing the Output plug-in to DirectSound made the crackles go away. But on the other hand couldn't it be a combination of WinAmp, LAME and its settings? I somehow can't believe that software that's available for years suddenly begins making trouble.

What do you think? Did anybody research this topic yet?
##\hombre/## is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2003, 15:16   #2
Mr_007
Banned

Yes this is big problem!
has idea for fix this bug?
Mr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2003, 12:42   #3
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
The SQRSoft crossfader is a bit outdated by now, and mystically, it causes problems with newer soundcards. As far as I know, development ceased. I had the same problem with it using a Terratec XFire DMX 1024 soundcard, not the newest, but it used to work flawlessly with an older Soundblaster 64 PCI .

I highly doubt it's your LAME settings, "--alt-preset (fast) standard" is a nearly-flawless option to encode MP3s. And since other players as well as Winamp using its default output plug-ins play back these MP3s just right, I doubt it's LAME.

Also check your DirectX configuration (Start menu -> run -> type "dxdiag.exe", check the sound tab) if settings are cool .

You didn't change your computer's hardware lately, didn't you? Includes new drivers for your soundcard.

Try Winamp's built-in DirectSound plug-in, it offers gapless playback and fades as well.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2003, 13:03   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

afaik, SqrSoft ACF uses WaveOut Output method, not DirectSound Output method.
Do you get crackling if you use WaveOut (out_wave.dll)?

Stick to using DirectSound Output under Win2k/XP.
Note: WMP uses DirectSound Output.

If the problem doesn't exist with out_ds, you can be guaranteed that the problem is due to one of:
i) poor WaveOut implementation in Win2k/XP
ii) bad soundcard drivers
iii) a bug in the 3rd-party Sqrsoft plugin
iv) all three

Of course, this is pure conjecture, seeing you didn't include any relevant system specs.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2003, 14:37   #5
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
Indeed, WinXP and 2K prefer DirectSound as output method, Wave Output is rather crappy under these OS'.

And since SQRSoft's Crossfader uses Wave Output, it might be a flaw with WinXP/2K. But since you didn't include any system specs, nor what OS you are using ...

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support