Old 2nd August 2003, 03:53   #1
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

Unhappy Killer Instinct: id very much like some help

i recently purchased a used copy of n64's killer instict gold (a game which i happen to have fond memories of) sadly it did not work. i went to return it and they told me to try it after a cleaning by the gamestop girl, and gave me suggestions on how i might give my system a cleaning if it still did not work (masking tape on not so thick cardboard with alcohol) after i did as i was instructed i got it to work once. (i sat there and watched it in its glory and it was good) when i went to play later.... it did not work. i returned it for another copy (had to search quite a bit to find another) and that copy failed to work as well. what is it about this cartridge? do you have any exclusive knowledge that you could share? i would very much appretiate help or suggestions to help make it work. when i turn it on the green video "video 2" text goes away and the screen remains black. it does play on other (newer) 64's to the best of my knowledge and my other 64 games do play without flaw. i have used old and low alcohol rubbing alcohol does this make a difference? i do have an expansion pak though im sure one is not needed to play this game. have you ever played it its a more than descent fighter. *omit commands you to help him make it work.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2003, 21:12   #2
sgtfuzzbubble011

They told you to use masking tape and alcohol to clean your N64? More than likely, the problem is dirty or worn out connectors. If you said other games work fine on your N64, then it's probably the KI game pak that's messed up. Take a look at the connectors on the bottom of the game pak and see if any of them look worn out or have any build-up on them. If they're worn out, you might have to find another game pak. If they're just dirty, you can try finding a cleaning kit at a local game store to clean them. You might also want to try inserting and removing the pak a few times (without turning the power on while doing this, of course) to help get better contact between the connectors on the system and the pak. Other than that, I'd end up taking both the system and pak apart to clean them, but that gets a little more complicated... plus, most people don't have the proper tools to take them apart.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2003, 21:56   #3
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

it was more than just the one copy of killer intinct. 2 different carts of KI did not work. ill keep on trying, if i cant get it to work ill just give it away to someone with a better nintendo or buy another 64. thank you for the suggestions. ..... what kind of tools?

Old 2nd August 2003, 22:17   #4
sgtfuzzbubble011

No problem.

Oh, and the tools? Well, the main tool you'll need to take apart the N64 and the game paks is a special type of 6-point socket bit for the special screws that they use to put the systems and game paks together with. I got mine (picture attached) in a set with 27 other hard-to-find bits (including the tri-wing used in the GBA) off of ebay.
Attached Images
File Type: png pic0.png (58.3 KB, 291 views)
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2003, 22:47   #5
Tarron_D
Major Dude

I rented a copy of killer instinct a long time ago that also wouldn't work. I just gave it back to them. I don't know if its related though.

"If everything I didn't give a shit about died, the only thing that would be left would be me, my dick, and maybe some pizza!" -Two (Visit www.ranting-gryphon.com, it rocks.)
Tarron_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 07:11   #6
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

i actually solved this strange mystery eventually. it was an incompatible issue with the offbrand rumble pack i use. as long as you start the game without it, it runs fine. happened upon this thread in a random search. pardon my bumping of the ancient.

Old 17th August 2014, 14:40   #7
fc*uk

I would say this is a perfect example where it is appropriate for you to download an emulator and a rom of KI. Though, if I remember correctly, the N64 emulators worked fairly poorly back in 2003...

They now have USB/bluetooth N64 controllers for your computer.

Sadly, I have done this for many of the cartridge games I was fond of growing up… except for my games date back to the 2600
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 22:51   #8
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

since the last time i checked, (long apast) even the original killer instinct (snes) never really worked all that great when you tried to cheat it on a pc. im not sure about gold though.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center