Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 2nd October 2010, 20:03   #41
watchout

Awesome wrapper there DrO! Like most of us it has been annoying the hell out of me getting that registry error every time I started Winamp. It even made me use Winamp less as it felt like a hassle opening it up (yep it was that bad). Just liked to say thanks!
watchout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 20:55   #42
Primoz

WHy not just put it in the startup folder?
Primoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 08:25   #43
Dapxin

thank you!
Dapxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 19:46   #44
DrO

just released v0.9.1 of the wrapper which adds two new strings for localisation of the find skin dialog (found by pawel) otherwise no other functional changes so i guess i've done something right with the code for a change, hehe.

see http://www.nunzioweb.com/daz/enhancer/ for more details, etc

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 14:39   #45
mzcl-mn

Cheers for the Enhancer Wrapper

Hello DrO, and to all who share the appreciation for the work that he's done with the wrapper.

I, for one, was dwelving for a long time with the registry information access issue along with others that DrO listed. And I appreciate very much your work.

Cheers!
mzcl-mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 21:56   #46
DrO

glad to hear it

-daz
Old 21st February 2011, 08:08   #47
H4rDw4rE

Thanks for reincarnartion of this great plugin.
Using this plugin from first releases and till today, but as many knows its has problems with windows 7, till you make it work again.
Thanks again, and keep up good work.
Don't know for others but I use this plugin with ffdshow audio decoder and media player classic, but it crashed media player classic every time, so I wonder is anybody tested it with media player classic and ffdshow?
I know also that I can not ask to look this "problem" but will be very thankful if you take a look and maybe find way to work with ffdshow.
Thanks again for making this plugin work again.
And sorry for my poor English.
Best regards.

Right now I find out what you said about wrapper "(this excludes the wrapper for the plug-in due to how it is tied closely to the Winamp client to work)".

Sorry for asking for taking a look to plugin and ffdshow...
H4rDw4rE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 08:38   #48
DrO

if you're using ffdshow to load the wrapper then it won't work as the wrapper update is only intended to work inside of Winamp 5.5 and higher due to the apis it uses. i doubt ffdshow replicates all of the apis needed and that would be why the wrapper plug-in will not work in MPC.

alas there's not anything i can do as it's a Winamp plug-in so i only make sure that the plug-ins will work in Winamp.

-daz
Old 21st February 2011, 10:07   #49
H4rDw4rE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
if you're using ffdshow to load the wrapper then it won't work as the wrapper update is only intended to work inside of Winamp 5.5 and higher due to the apis it uses. i doubt ffdshow replicates all of the apis needed and that would be why the wrapper plug-in will not work in MPC.

alas there's not anything i can do as it's a Winamp plug-in so i only make sure that the plug-ins will work in Winamp.

-daz
Most important is ability to plugin work with winamp, and many thanks for that.
Everything else considering this plugin is what I saw when using winamp plugins with other apps capable to use winamp plugins.
H4rDw4rE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 14:19   #50
MisterXDTV

I need help I am unable to get enhancher to work...

The plugin is installed correctly as is the wrapper but the sound doesn't change at all when I turn it on/off and move the sliders... Nothing changes...
MisterXDTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 14:35   #51
DrO

OS? Winamp version? using a language pack? used inside of a DSP stacker? what bit rate is Winamp set to use i.e. is it 16-bit or 24-bit?

i've had 2 reports of it not being right when used on Vista (though i don't have access to a Vista box to confirm that) though it works ok on Win7 and my XP box when i last tried it out.

-daz
Old 30th July 2011, 02:32   #52
anon_88

Enhancer plugin + Compatibility Wrapper working older versions present problems

One thing I would like to see, Enhancer plugin + Compatibility Wrapper working with older versions:

# Compatibility Wrapper 0.9 and 0.91 do not work with older versions of Winamp.
# Compatibility Wrapper 0.8 work with older versions of Winamp, but not lets you change the preset.
# Compatibility Wrapper 0.8 + original enhancer (renamed to enh_dps.trb) = work with older versions of Winamp, but not lets you change the preset.
# Compatibility Wrapper 0.8 + Fixed version of Byblo (renamed to enh_dps.trb) = work with older versions of Winamp and lets you change the preset, but have problem in minimized.

Would be really cool if someone fix this.
Sorry my bad english (Google translator).
anon_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 07:45   #53
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon_88 View Post
# Compatibility Wrapper 0.9 and 0.91 do not work with older versions of Winamp.
That is not going to change and those versions fixed all of the quirks you're experiencing with the window not minimising or allowing presets to be changed.

The wrapper needs apis from Winamp 5.5 and higher and there is no reason to be using any version of Winamp prior to that (and 5.5 is 4 years old now so even that is old). Additionally i only provide plug-in support for plug-ins on Winamp 5.5 and higher and will not waste time (i don't have) creating plug-ins for versions of Winamp which are so buggy and horrible to use / develop against.

That may come across as being harsh but as i do all of my plug-in development in my freetime (which is next to zero at the moment), i'm not going to spend time on something which i cannot justify on any level.

Install the current Winamp into a differnet folder from your current version, make sure you uncheck everything you don't need (starting with the 'lite' install type) and then you've got a 2.x style install.

-daz
Old 1st August 2011, 12:57   #54
anon_88

I understand. Anyway, the appeal remains to those who have some interest.

Take this opportunity to let my enhancer skin style bento. (Modified from the skin: www.winamp.com/plugin/enhancer-skin-bento/221939)

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bento.bmp
Views:	696
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	49018  
anon_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 09:07   #55
Kyouma

having issues getting it to work with MP3s for me. working on FLAC fine though.

Windows 7 x64 Pro.
Winamp 5.621
Kyouma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 09:20   #56
DrO

not working in what way?

however if i had to guess then i'd possibly go with you having 24-bit output enabled which i don't believe the Enhancer plug-in can support. if that is the case then there's not a lot which can really be done as i've no way to alter such things without the original source code of the DSP - the wrapper just fixes a few things which can be externally patched.

if that isn't it then you're going to have to explain what you mean as just 'having issues' isn't particularly helpful.

-daz
Old 25th November 2011, 00:27   #57
ineedsupportplz

Just want to say thanks DrO for this "wrapper"
ineedsupportplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 12:41   #58
josephkarthic

Regarding Enhancer 0.17 Automatic Volume control

This might be a dead thread but im waking it again just to revive this awesome plugin where you cant get anywhere in the web..

Dear DrO Kindly disable the automatic volume adjustment in Enhancer 0.17…You might already have a version without automatic volume control..Its not a big deal for you as you have totally revamped this plugin..

Kindly send that version and also upload that version in your plugin page as it may be useful to many people like me..I'm sure about it..that feature is really unwanted as it sucks down the bass especially Harmonic deep punchy bass which is the best feature in this plugin..please don’t ignore this request..kindly modify the code and send us the plugin..many thanks and expecting a reply..
josephkarthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 13:12   #59
DrO

to quote the reply i'd already sent to the email i received before seeing this post so others don't need to re-ask the same question:
Quote:
I'm sorry but what you're wanting is not something i can provide you. I only provide a wrapper plug-in to resolve issues with Enhancer and it working with newer Winamp and Windows versions (making it not throw a registry error or it not docking to the Winamp windows, etc).

I do not have the original source code for the Enhancer plug-in (if did then i would not have needed to write a wrapper plug-in to resolve it's issues) and without that, it is not possible to change the actual functioning of the Enhancer plug-in like the volume control as you would like.
-daz
Old 17th August 2012, 14:06   #60
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi josephkarthic,

If you read the help page provided with this great plug-in (click on the Help button), you will learn that the volume control is a very important feature. It can prevent over amplification which in turn protects you from causing distortion and possible damage to your speakers if you over enhance your music.

If you don't care about that and want maximum amplification, just set the volume control as far to the right as possible.

Two email addresses for the plug-in's developer are also provided at the bottom of the help page. Stop asking DrO for things beyond his control.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 14:30   #61
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Two email addresses for the plug-in's developer are also provided at the bottom of the help page. Stop asking DrO for things beyond his control.
which have never gotten a response from when i've tried them before starting the wrapper. i see why people think like way josephkarthic has with his contact and that's a failing on my part for not making ir absolutely clear so i don't think the tone of the last part of the reply you made was quite justified (comes across very terse, almost DrO-like, heh).

-daz
Old 17th September 2012, 22:06   #62
Mateus_RP

I just came here to show my appreciation for this wrapper made by DrO. I have been a user of the enhancer plug-in for a long time, since it was released. Until now its been the best plug-in ever made for winamp. Today i downloaded this wrapper and it is a must have for all the enhancer users. Thanks very much DrO.
Mateus_RP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 14:00   #63
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
... i don't think the tone of the last part of the reply you made was quite justified (comes across very terse, almost DrO-like, heh).

-daz
Sorry, I somehow missed this post a couple months ago. That part of my reply was rather rude. I apologize to user josephkarthic and you, DrO.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 6th October 2012, 14:02   #64
DrO

no need to apologise, i found it quite amusing

-daz
Old 7th October 2012, 08:58   #65
navin_hot

Thanks a ton DrO for this wrapper. I was looking for a fix for the "cant access registery" error for years since i upgraded to Win 7.. Finally i found it, though it took me 2 years to find this since it was developed ..
Enhancer is a must have and would any day prefer it over any other DSP's i have used.
navin_hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 03:33   #66
infoleather

Every time I open Winamp I get this error message from the enhanced "Error: Can not access the registry information ..."
infoleather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 03:44   #67
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoleather View Post
Every time I open Winamp I get this error message from the enhanced "Error: Can not access the registry information ..."
Install DrO's wrapper for Enhancer. It takes care of the compatibility issues with Vista/Win 7 for this old plug-in.

http://nunzioweb.com/daz/enhancer/index.html

Old 13th January 2013, 19:02   #68
Indyrod
Major Dude

wow, haven't posted on this forum for a few years, but just wanted to login to thank DrO for an amazing job on resurrecting this great plugin working great again, especially with Win 7 64 bit. I like using the presets, and just wondered, is there a way to tell your current preset in action? When checking out other presets than the one I am using, I forget the one I started with sometimes, since I can't see the one all ready in action before I started fiddling around with it. thanks, and again, great job with the wrapper.
Indyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 20:32   #69
DrO

really not sure as it's been over 2 years since i last looked at any of this let alone remember what's saved in the configuration file or not - as the ideal option would be it reselecting the preset in the dialog. have made a note but who knows if i'll get around to trying to do it.

-daz
Old 12th March 2014, 08:33   #70
defalkner

Special Thanks to DrO from a VERY long time Enhancer user:
DrO I registered on the forum tonight just to say THANK YOU. I originally downloaded this plugin in 2002, and I have the original file I downloaded then that I always used (or attempted to), until tonight.

As WinAmp got older it had problems running this plugin and I was able to get it going but barely. Newer Windows didnt help things either. Well tonight I purchased a high quality DAT/Amp and thus lost my ability to use the very high quality graphic equalizer that came with my previous Creative Labs cards (which produced some very rich clean bass). So I dusted off the Enhancer plugin I loved before and with the latest WinAmp Pro it refused to work - until I found this thread and your fix. Amazing - 12 years ago I began using this and have found nothing that comes close. Standard EQ's in audio programs like WinAmp, iTunes & Windows Media Player are unable to adjust the ultra low frequencies I need (mostly for ambient techno and sort), this, where Enhancer fit the bill. What you did was something I was going to attempt years ago when I tried several times to contact the original author and made requests for the source code (since it was abandon why not). And as most everyone here has tried with no success. You have really, really helped me out.
defalkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 12:05   #71
neutralin0

Enhancer Registry Error Fix

I found a way to fix Enhancer's registry error, without using a wrapper or messing with permissions.
You simply have to change 4 bytes in the DLL file (dsp_enh.dll).

If you don't care about the technical details, just skip to the bottom and download the patched file.

As DrO pointed out in a previous post, the problem is that Enhancer stores its settings in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" part of the registry.
More specifically, Enhancer tries to create and have write access to these 4 registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ioscasoft
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ioscasoft\Enhancer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ioscasoft\Enhancer\Version 017
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ioscasoft\Enhancer\Version 017\Skin File

Starting with Windows Vista, any attempt to modify the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" part of the registry, requires administrator privileges (UAC prompt).

If Enhancer used "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" to store its settings, instead of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", then it wouldn't require administrator privileges and there would be no errors.

As Microsoft explains here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

- HKEY_CURRENT_USER is defined in WinReg.h with a value of 0x80000001
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is defined in WinReg.h with a value of 0x80000002

Because the DLL file (dsp_enh.dll) is compiled in little endian, we must reverse the byte order:

- HKEY_CURRENT_USER is defined as 0x01000080 (little endian)
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is defined as 0x02000080 (little endian)

1. Open the DLL file (dsp_enh.dll) with your favorite hex editor.

2. Search for this hex value: 02000080 (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE).
You will find 4 occurrences which coincides exactly with the 4 registry keys created by Enhancer.

3. On each of the 4 occurrences, change the first byte from "02" to "01"

4. Save.

From now on, Enhancer will only try to access the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" part of the registry.
You can easily check this with regedit.

Here's the patched file:

Enhancer_017_HKCU.zip
https://mega.co.nz/#!tItHFIgA!KTMWJw...fQ7PF6DkTjuSnY
neutralin0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 12:11   #72
DrO

the wrapper fixes a number of other Winamp + Windows integration issues than just the registry issue which led to the initial creation of the wrapper, so it's still far better to make use of the wrappered version than a binary patched version just for one aspect of the issues the plug-in has imho.

plus the registry -> local settings file redirection the wrapper does is far better for allowing for the Enhancer plug-in to work in a portable solution which storing in the registry does not allow for (and is one of the reasons i didn't go for binary patching in the first place).
Old 4th October 2014, 14:21   #73
neutralin0

Yes, I know your wrapper is a better fix when you're using Enhancer with Winamp.
Your work and continuous support throughout the years has been outstanding and is very much appreciated.

The problem is that the wrapper doesn't work with other audio players that can also run Winamp plugins (rhymes with toolbar3000 ).

I just thought the "official" Enhancer thread would be a good place to post the fix, for future reference to others.
Old 4th October 2014, 14:30   #74
DrO

not working well in other players is a failing of them and not of Winamp as really a Winamp plug-in should be aimed at working in Winamp properly rather than being compromised to work inside of Winamp-clones / programs that support only a subset of the Winamp plug-in API.

is like why the SHOUTcast Source DSP doesn't work in other players since the 2.x release as it gives a far better integration (as well as reduction of resources, etc) by using the API that Winamp provides vs a limited version that works else where.

not knocking what you've done, but for anyone wanting to use Enhancer in it's intended usage i.e. with Winamp, then i really don't think your binary patched version is a viable solution.

and you can say foobar2000 on here.
Old 4th October 2014, 15:50   #75
neutralin0

Quote:
not working well in other players is a failing of them and not of Winamp as really a Winamp plug-in should be aimed at working in Winamp properly rather than being compromised to work inside of Winamp-clones / programs that support only a subset of the Winamp plug-in API.

is like why the SHOUTcast Source DSP doesn't work in other players since the 2.x release as it gives a far better integration (as well as reduction of resources, etc) by using the API that Winamp provides vs a limited version that works else where.
Obviously, I agree. You are a Winamp dev supporting a Winamp plugin and you should not compromise your work just to support some third-party programs.

That's why I didn't ask nor do I want you to change your wrapper to be compatible with other audio players. The wrapper already works perfectly for its intended purpose: to properly run Enhancer with Winamp.

Quote:
not knocking what you've done, but for anyone wanting to use Enhancer in it's intended usage i.e. with Winamp, then i really don't think your binary patched version is a viable solution.
As I said before, if you're going to properly use Enhancer with Winamp then your wrapper is by far the best solution.
I just posted the binary patch fix for those who intend to use Enhancer in alternative ways, which might not be compatible with your wrapper.

Quote:
and you can say foobar2000 on here.
Yes, I know. The Winamp forums are very friendly.
It was just a joke, hence the smiley.
Old 27th May 2015, 22:44   #76
Marcos

Hope someone can help. I am trying to 'run' (install) the latest version and at the program path dialog the correct path is shown but the 'Next' button is greyed (unhighlighted for selection). What could be my problem?
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 22:55   #77
DrO

it means it cannot detect Winamp if the button is disabled.
Old 28th May 2015, 04:58   #78
Marcos

Quote:
it means it cannot detect Winamp if the button is disabled.
Thx for your reply. I am confused. Winamp was running when I invoked the installer. It requested it be closed prior to proceeding. It even asks if I want the installer to close it. My issue is regarding the latest version of the wrapper, not enhancer.
Old 28th May 2015, 11:37   #79
DrO

i don't know then why it's not working for you as the installer script is about as simple as it can get in it looks for winamp.exe in the same folder and if that's not there, the button is disabled. other than manually extracting the files, there's little else I can suggest on the matter (as i'm not really maintaining the wrapper anymore).
Old 29th May 2015, 19:32   #80
Marcos

Quote:
... it looks for winamp.exe in the same folder ...
AH! - this little part of your post is my cure. For reason's this LXII+ years old brain cannot at this time recall I did rename the app. So temporarily re-naming it back to the default name and all went well. My apologies as well as my gratitude for your time.

Quik Off-topic. I notice your signature info regarding v5.666. I can verify I have this latest version installed by bringing up the "About" menu. However, how do I verify I have the latest build and plugin updates? -thx
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion