Old 22nd July 2005, 16:10   #1
GeeZuZzz

"Jump to file" feature very slow in Winamp 5?

Is the "jump to file" (hotkey: J) supposed to be really slow in Winamp 5? In Winamp 2 it displays instantly, and truncates list instantly when typing. In Winamp 5 it takes 5 seconds to show up, and another 5 seconds freezing when i start typing.

Playlist contains around 10 000 files.

Is this yet another reason why i should stick to Winamp 2?
GeeZuZzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2005, 17:11   #2
jmatthews112
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jmatthews112 Send a message via Yahoo to jmatthews112
Try the most recent development release of Jump to File Extra: 0.97R build 11.

There have been a number of bugfixes and optimizations to the plugin code, and it may alleviate the problem you are experiencing.

jmat
jmatthews112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2005, 17:32   #3
GeeZuZzz

I installed that file, and unless i need to do any configuration, it made no difference...
Old 25th July 2005, 18:15   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

The Jump to File feature is built into Winamp 2x/5x.
Nothing's changed in that department.
The JTFE plugin (gen_jumpex.dll) extends the built-in feature.
Does the problem persist if you delete/disable the plugin?

What skin are you using? Modern or classic?
What are your system specs?

[EDIT - many years later]

Go to: Winamp > Prefs (Ctrl+P) > Jump to File > Search tab
Cherckmark: Limit the number of search results....
Try a value of: 500

Note that there's also a setting in here to change the delay time it takes to process results after typing.
You may also want to increase this value to e. 750ms or more....
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2005, 20:22   #5
Squadman

Send a message via AIM to Squadman
This happens for me as well. But I have a 3000+ playlist. I tried it with a 20 items playlist it was fine. I think it's just to do with the number of files you have, the more, the longer it takes to search, so naturally, slows down a bit.
Squadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2005, 20:32   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I've got over 13,000 files in my playlist and the Jump window isn't slow, though it does take a couple of seconds to appear with Modern skins when "skin jtf" is enabled in Prefs... and for sure, it will always take a little bit longer to load when there's a few thousand titles to load, whether gen_jumpex.dll is present or not.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2005, 12:38   #7
DrO

there shouldn't really be such a difference with/without jtfe installed against a 2.x install since the code in winamp for the jtf dialog hasn't been altered in years. the only slowness i found was like with Egg and the display of the window if it's skinned but since that's a default off option on a clean install then that shouldn't be an issue.

i do have a number of work arounds still to be finished that speed up things for large playlists ie anything over 10k-20k but that's really just down to the windows list control getting bogged down in itself when it's starting to reach the upper limit of it's ideal design limit.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2005, 04:21   #8
GeeZuZzz

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg

Does the problem persist if you delete/disable the plugin?

What skin are you using? Modern or classic?
What are your system specs?
- No, disabling the plugin brings back the good old fast jump-to-file dialog (but i want a enqueue option )
- Classic

- Specs: MSI K8T Neo2 FIR w/AMD 64 3000+ s939 and 2GB RAM

Something interesting is that when i run Winamp in Windows Vista beta1, the 5 second delay, is reduced to one second! Both when showing the dialog, and when searching
Old 30th July 2005, 12:57   #9
DrO

when you're opening the jtf dialog, do you have files in the queue since that hack into the list's code does have a speed hit though if the queue is empty you shouldn't have a 5 second delay.

the only way i can get such a delay is to have a 30k playlist and my system specs are similar to yours (A64 3000+ (o/c 3120+), ASUS KV8 Pro, 1Gb RAM, Win2k Pro SP4)

you'll have to wait to see if build #12 gives you any improvements (which may be done in the next 2 weeks though no guarantee due to my real job's commitments)

-daz
Old 28th March 2006, 02:46   #10
Gonzooloo

In the Jump to File Preferences try limiting the number of serach results to something like 100. You really don't need to see all the music files that contain the lettes "back" when you start to type a song search.
Gonzooloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 13:52   #11
mayera

I have been using the same playlist of 4000 songs for over a year. Using winamp 5.32 as I type the name of the song I want in the Jump-to-file extension the list is parsed and results are shown nearly instantaneously, yet ever since I upgraded to 5.35 the list parsing has gone from less than a second to almost 30 seconds. I would love to know what was 'fixed' to create such a problem. I have tried playing with a number of settings including not displaying more than 100 entries, parsing the ID3 tags on winamp load, and many other thing with no distinguishable change in parsing time.
mayera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 17:09   #12
Kalez

I know I'm a bit too late to show up, about 5 years, but since this problem is still around I want to suggest a solution. After some research and browsing internet I found out that the problem is caused your Anti-Virus program ( I don't know if this problem consists all the Anti-Virus programs as I have only confirmed it with AVG and F-Secure) , particulary by its Real Time Protection or whatever it's called.

I haven't found a certain technical explanation but I believe it goes somewhat like this: When you search files it activates winamp files making the Anti-Virus program to scan the files which makes the search progress to slow down.

==Tested only on Windows 7==

The solution is simple: You just have to cut winamp files out of the Real Time scanning. I'm sure every Anti-Virus program has this option, but unfortunately you have to find it yourself. I got the path only for AVG: Resident Shield --> Manage Exceptions
The files/folders you need to add are (default paths):
C:\Program Files\Winamp\
C:\Documents and Settings\*YOUR USERNAME*\Application Data\Winamp\
C:\Documents and Settings\*YOUR USERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\Winamp

Hope this helps!
Kalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:47   #13
Henteaser

I can confirm this cause and solution for windows 7 and FSAV.
Henteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:50   #14
Henteaser

Except that the %appdata% in Windows 7 is in C:\Users\<USERNAME>...
Henteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 18:47   #15
Weirdoo

OK...same issue with the jump to file....i have the latest plug-in 1145....i did the search optimizations but i have a 3 sec delay...so i write the name of the song and when it begins searching winamp blocks for 3 seconds while it searches for the tune....the thing is annoying because i can misspell and have to wait those three seconds before i can do the search again....i have 20000 songs....my sys specs are : dell amd phenom quad core and 3 gb ram , win 7 32bit....on my system should it take that much?...any ideas on what to do ?
Weirdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 03:46   #16
jacklinpawl

i was suffering from the same problem, thanks for the heads up appreciated!
jacklinpawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 08:25   #17
DrO

Weirdoo: i don't think it should be taking that long though by the nature of the listbox control which the jtf window uses as soon as it goes over a few thousand entries it becomes slower unfortunately though limiting the results and increasing the typing delay before a search happens should make things easier. as for a complete lockup of the player during the search that is sort of how it will appear due to the Winamp core waiting on the search list to work.

if you could pm me a copy of your full playlist (winamp.m3u8), winamp.ini and a plug-ins list (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins) and i'll see if i can reproduce any delay issues (though recent work on the plug-in has generally improved search handling from my tests so i'm a bit disturbed if it's gone the other way.

-daz
Old 14th January 2012, 23:38   #18
Gew

Still slow~

We're spinning in year twelve and it's still a slow process. Nah, seriously, it's slow. I've used Winamp since late 90's and the "Jump" feature has always been one of it's main features. Since Winamp v5.x, it's become slower. I know I'm not the only one who thinks this. Also, I'm running Windoze 7 with no antivirus software at all. It's still slow. Ideas?
Gew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 19:18   #19
DrO

to me it is fast for what it is meant to be doing, but if people are trying to use it for searching through 10s of thousands of playlist items then it will be somewhat slower (depending on the machine and other factors) as the list control which is used was _never_ intended for such quantities of items and is a failure in the design of Winamp back to when the jtf dialog was first added (and is something that i've ended up just working on top off). maybe i should change the dialog over to a control which can cope with such things but that involves finding time (unknown amount) which isn't something i can do so far.

so other than choosing the un-skinned version, enabling all of the optimisation options and adjusting the levels, there's little that can be done. if not, add everything to the library and use the faster search from there.

-daz
Old 3rd October 2012, 21:20   #20
vinisantos

Send a message via ICQ to vinisantos Send a message via Yahoo to vinisantos
How I solved my issue...

Hello all,

I was having the exact same issue. Some times I even went to Winamp, clicked "J" and went back to the window I was working with before...I'd re-check Winamp after a minute or two to finally get the 'Jump to File' window.
Issue was REALLY annoying!

I was trying to find a solution when I found the option 'Skin the window in the current Winamp skin style' under the 'Display' tab. Because I pressed 'J' before entering 'Preferences' when I unchecked the box 'Jump to File' window popped right away.
I don't really mind it's slightly different from the rest of the skin and it solved the issue for me.
But I DIDN'T HAVE TO CHANGE any configuration in the previous versions!!!! I didn't happen before and I used different skins (Mainly 'Good Ol' Winamp').
Hope this helps others as well.

Take care!
vinisantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 11:30   #21
thSkogman

The (J)problem could be avoided if ...

the prejudiced search was limited.

I believe WinAmp starts to search before I've even struck one single key. If I just leave it alone, it will list all file names or titles.

If you have 40,000+ titles, that could mean searching through the span of 4,000,000 characters, and then sorting the list. If I'm right, there are File Names and two versions of ID3 to check for matches.

For every character I enter, I guess the routine must search again (and again ...)
If a mistype has to be corrected, the result would be four separate searches (e. g. 'Strolling Bone', 'Strolling Boned', 'Strolling Bone' again, and finally 'Strolling Bones') if I'm not fast enough. This inherent delay also increases the risk for such mistakes, as I don't get to see what I've typed until the list below is sorted out.

If the Jump to File function would wait until I've at least entered one or two keystrokes, the search span could be shortened. I personally have no need to watch or browse the whole list before I've even decided what to search for. That's not the purpose.

Such a function could, of course, have a section in Preferences, where the user is allowed to turn it off or choose how many characters the routine should wait for.
thSkogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 11:57   #22
DrO

it searches against the filepath and the title shown (if available) in the playlist editor - it never looks up the data itself as it's just using what's shown in the main playlist editor from it's cache.

the 'error character' input can be dealt with already by adjusting the timeout between entering a key and the search being started (which has been available via the plug-ins preferences for a few years now).

as for what's being asked for, there is merit in doing it (but only preventing the full loading of the playlist contents - i don't like the idea of character limiting so won't do that), but fundamentally, the JTF window is not designed to cope with 40k+ items to search and display so really this is just another hack to work around the limitation of things.

so at some point, i'll look at adding a 'only show search results' option which will then prevent it showing everything from the playlist editor on loading and when clearing the search (though when i'll do it who knows since work on that plug-in is done on my own time).

or just delete gen_jumpex.dll and get the plain version of the feature.
Old 13th September 2013, 14:28   #23
thSkogman

Thanks for the tip

The delay increase did it for me.

I wasn't aware of all the settings available, simply because I hadn't looked them up. A small embarrassment on my part.

Alright. I put the delay somewhere in the middle, and ...

The new setting found 'The Joys of Dumber' in seven seconds, including opening the window and typing time.
Before, only the initial 'all in' search took thirteen seconds, and the keyboard input didn't show until that was completed.

A cut of more than half the time is appreciated. An improvement, no doubt. Not much can be done about the sheer number of entries. And whatever You intended, JtF is used extensively more than any other feature in .

Thank you, Doctor!
Half cured is feeling all better.
thSkogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 14:42   #24
DrO

can't expect people to know all of the parts of the preferences to find things as Winamp has too many options (a bonus at times and a bane at others). 13s -> 7s is a decent improvement but it's still not ideal (if compared to say a library search of comparable items).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
so at some point, i'll look at adding a 'only show search results' option which will then prevent it showing everything from the playlist editor on loading and when clearing the search (though when i'll do it who knows since work on that plug-in is done on my own time).
i've started on something towards this, though when it'll see the light of day i don't know. i've also looked at some of the native Winamp code (which is also used to drive the jtf search) and i've maybe got a few percent speed improvement for searching larger playlists but it's not going to save seconds from what i've seen with initial testing.
Old 22nd September 2013, 14:34   #25
PajaPatak

I have problems with this feature too. (20k songs)
Problems ocurred after reinstalling Windows, on "old" Windows (7) it has been working great (instant), and now I have delay.
What should I do?
PajaPatak is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support