Old 30th July 2010, 22:34   #1
Snor

Send a message via AIM to Snor Send a message via Yahoo to Snor Send a message via Skype™ to Snor
Volume nudge script

Okay, so I'm running Winamp on Windows 7 and I have some 5.1 speakers connected to my onboard Realtek - I'm using Realtek 3D SoundBack to make Winamp work on the 5.1 properly - all good so far.

However, every time the track changes (next track, stop/play, etc.) the volume is somehow reset to some maximum loud volume and it doesn't go back to where it should be until the winamp volume is changed (up or down). I've looked high and low for a solution, to no avail - so now I'm here...

Basically I'm wondering if it's possible to have some extremely simple plug-in/script that will nudge the volume up and then down by 1% every time a track starts playing - this would fix the problem.

I've dabbled in programming before but I'm nowhere near being able to knock something like this together in a hurry and it doesn't seem like it's worth spending hours on getting used to the Winamp environment and etc. just to ultimately write 5 lines of code or something. So is there anyone here who would be extremely kind and help me out if this is something that can be done very easily?

If you're interested in doing it but only like working for money I'll gladly pay (if I'm allowed to make such statements here?) - email me at leo@snorland.com if you're one of those people

Note: disabling volume changes by winamp isn't an option - I have 3 sound devices and I need to use specific global hotkeys to control winamp volume.
Snor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 09:07   #2
Daniyal.A

Volume Control plug-in

Wrote Volume Control plug-in for you. Please try it

INSTALLATION:
Just copy "gen_VolumeControl.dll" to "[Winamp installed directory]\Plugins" (example: C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins)

Volume Control plug-in forces Winamp volume up and down by 1% - 1,5% on every track change.
In addition, I added Global Hotkeys for controlling Winamp volume:
CTRL+ALT+UP (arrow key) for volume up by 2%
CTRL+ALT+DOWN (arrow key) for volume down by 2%
These global keys will work even if Winamp window has not focus.

Check your e-mail for details.
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_VolumeControl.zip (17.0 KB, 163 views)
Daniyal.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 10:24   #3
Snor

Send a message via AIM to Snor Send a message via Yahoo to Snor Send a message via Skype™ to Snor
Thank you so much! This does the job very well - it does take a split second to take effect so there is a very quickly muffled loud noise at the start of tracks that start loud, but it's definitely use-able!
Old 31st July 2010, 11:29   #4
Daniyal.A

Good to know it helped you!
I have some ideas on how to fix the "loudness" problem. But I'm busy right now, think maybe tonight or tomorrow you'll get a new version of the plug-in.
Daniyal.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 11:39   #5
DrO

just to chip in, but really starting of a track shouldn't be causing the volume level to change - and if multiple sound devices are being used, i'd wonder more if there's a driver issue going on. just something to consider as manually bumping the volume up/down really doesn't seem like a proper fix (as i was going to move this to the tech support forum instead of being in here until the posts started appearing).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 12:06   #6
Snor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
just to chip in, but really starting of a track shouldn't be causing the volume level to change - and if multiple sound devices are being used, i'd wonder more if there's a driver issue going on. just something to consider as manually bumping the volume up/down really doesn't seem like a proper fix (as i was going to move this to the tech support forum instead of being in here until the posts started appearing).

-daz
Yeah, this is not a proper fix, it's a workaround because a proper fix doesn't seem very likely. I'm using "Realtek 3D SoundBack 0.1 beta" which is a Vista app (I have to run it in compatibility mode) made by Realtek a couple of years ago to fix "legacy games" so that they use the 5.1 audio correctly. I've had to add Winamp to this program (which it seems like Realtek are never going to update) just to get Winamp to play properly on the 5.1 without using any of the crap like "Speaker Fill" or one of the environment effects which gives a noticeable deterioration in sound quality.

So this means I am stuck using DirectSound with specific settings - I can't change the driver or output module, I can't turn off acceleration - I'm basically stuck with this exact setup, which is coincidentally the only setup which causes this volume glitch. I'm not 100% sure where the problem is occurring, who to contact, whose bug it is to fix, etc. so this seemed like the most realistic option to me!
Old 31st July 2010, 12:52   #7
DrO

that makes sense if there's no means to update things. i'd go with it being an issue on their end. either way, it now makes sense with the request.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development