Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 3rd April 2011, 01:14   #1
jen77

OMG! Winamp and my ENTIRE LIBRARY GONE? corrupted? SERIOUS PROBLEMS with winamp!!

hello!
as i'm writing this, i am desperate!
i have had winamp installed on my pc for the last two years /in short; the best music player by far etc./ during this time i have built up a nice library with thousands of tracks, and i have a perfect rating/comment system together with several playlists /play counts etc. This might seem not important to some, but to me it is important, since i use winamp every day and has done so for the last 2 years.

Anyway; today i started to experience serious problems with my computer. it was slow, programs were crashing etc. So i rebooted.
Upon reboot i discover that Winamp no longer works. i panic! i desperatley try to boot up winamp, but nothing happens. After about 3-4 minutes winamp starts up, EXTREMLEY slow. As a shock i notice that this is not my winamp! this is a grey and (no offence devs) ugly standard theme (i normally used a color-modified bento theme i think its called) and the settings in the program has all been changed back to default!
I instantly try to browse my library but there is nothing there!!!
playlist, tracks, playcounts, comments, ratings etc.. ALL GONE!

now, i know i can just re-add the media to the client, but all (i think you call them metadata? correct me if i'm wrong) information about each track will be lost. Now i _CANT_ have that, i desperatley need for this to work again, cant live without my winamp!
i've tried restoring my pc back to an earlier date, about 4 days back, but still this problem exists. When i boot up winamp i have a huge waiting time of more than a minute, and then all i had is gone. My installation is still there, but anything else is gone.

Could somebody please tell me how to get my REAL winamp installation back? restoring pc to an earlier date does not seem to work, i still have the 'corrupted' winamp installation.

i'm in desperate need of help here. I know from before that when purchasing a new computer you can never transfer old winamp installation containing the track information that i want (play count, rating etc.!) but please let it not be the case here.
Also, if someone could give me an explanation for WHY this happened in the first place. Maybe it ddint have to do with winamp, since my PC in general got F*cked up today tho.

once again, PLEASE i need your help!

ps, ignore any spelling mistakes as i wrote this insta fast in panic + my born language is not english.

thank you!
jen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 02:13   #2
jen77

Please, someone ^?
Old 3rd April 2011, 02:46   #3
jen77

NOTE: i have done a system restore to get back to a point were winamp was actually working. This does not work. Going back there does not change anything..
Old 3rd April 2011, 03:02   #4
jen77

Now winamp crashes whatever i do! I try to add music again! I try to change language. What the fuck is the problem here?!
Old 3rd April 2011, 03:55   #5
jen77

i would expect more...
Old 3rd April 2011, 05:35   #6
CJ_Man

Be patient. This isn't a high-traffic forum, people will come by over time.

The closest I've come to experiencing something like you describe, affecting not just Winamp but everything, was caused by the hard drive beginning to fail. Do you have another machine available?
CJ_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 13:57   #7
jen77

yeah. and i've got 5 hdd's in my pc. But the one with Winamp also has other programs that run good though.
Old 3rd April 2011, 17:08   #8
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Run a SMART check on that hard disk, it could be corrupting itself. Have you got any hidden folders called C:\folder.000 C:\folder.001 etc? These will often hold recovered damaged files. If lucky, you may find your recovered media library files in there. You may also get some luck with a CHKDSK on the partition. Depending on the damage occurring.

Your winamp database is stored in %APPDATA%\Winamp\Plugins\ml\ (Or %APPDATA%\Roaming\winamp\Plugins\ml on Vista\Win7 systems) but if it is gone, then it is gone. Winamp does not keep a backup, so if your hard disk corrupts and damages the database - there are not many ways back.

FIRST STEP - BACK UP THAT %APPDATA%\WINAMP folder to a safe place so you can start to experiment.

If you have a Professional version of Vista or Win 7, then just roll back to previous versions of the database files using the built in "Previous Version" options. (If you don't have these OS's, no point in me explaining this deeper)
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 18:36   #9
jen77

Thank you for responding. I just did a check on my hardware and there are no problems with any of my drives.

Should i perhaps reinstall Winamp completley, and then add the database files to that new installation. Perhaps that would solve? or it might just corrupt another (if there is infact corruption in the database files wich i doubt)
Old 3rd April 2011, 18:56   #10
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Did you find what it was that made your PC splutter? Which OS are we on? And how did you "check your drives"? Did you download the manufacturer's test disk and give them a proper check? Would not want to have a sudden failure. (I assume this has reminded you to back up....)

Why are you convinced your database files are not corrupt? From your description, I would assume your whole database has been stuffed. But you may be lucky.

Have you backed up that Winamp folder? the whole branch under %appdata% (not just the ML plugin, all of it). Once backed up, I would try a fresh installation. First an "install on top" - see if that picks up the database again. If that does not work, I would uninstall Winamp and delete the %appdata%\Winamp branch and try a fresh install. This will get your skins back and so forth (you will need to copy skins from your backup)

Once that is in place, the database consists of files in the plugin folder. I think the database is in "main.idx" and the "main.dat.*" files. You could try reintroducing these to the fresh Winamp install - see if it will bring your database back.

How big are your main.* files? On my PC, with a 50,000+ database of tracks, main.idx is 1018KB and of the 6 main.dat.* files I have, five are 40-50,000KB is size with one at zero KB. ( I am guessing these are the correct files... I'll see if I can get a confirmation for you...)
Old 3rd April 2011, 19:16   #11
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

BTW - the worst case you are looking at here is reimporting all your music. This will mean you will still have all your artwork, and all your track names, artist names, etc. The only thing you will loose will be your "last played" dates, playcount and your ratings.

(Newer versions of Winamp can store ratings in the tracks, but that is not relevant here at this moment)

Notice too that in the %appdata%\winamp\plugins\ml folder you will see some "*.m3u" files. These are your playlists and can be reimported (they have just lost their titles, but still know the tracks to be played).
Old 3rd April 2011, 20:08   #12
jen77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
Did you find what it was that made your PC splutter? Which OS are we on? And how did you "check your drives"? Did you download the manufacturer's test disk and give them a proper check? Would not want to have a sudden failure. (I assume this has reminded you to back up....)

Why are you convinced your database files are not corrupt? From your description, I would assume your whole database has been stuffed. But you may be lucky.

Have you backed up that Winamp folder? the whole branch under %appdata% (not just the ML plugin, all of it). Once backed up, I would try a fresh installation. First an "install on top" - see if that picks up the database again. If that does not work, I would uninstall Winamp and delete the %appdata%\Winamp branch and try a fresh install. This will get your skins back and so forth (you will need to copy skins from your backup)

Once that is in place, the database consists of files in the plugin folder. I think the database is in "main.idx" and the "main.dat.*" files. You could try reintroducing these to the fresh Winamp install - see if it will bring your database back.

How big are your main.* files? On my PC, with a 50,000+ database of tracks, main.idx is 1018KB and of the 6 main.dat.* files I have, five are 40-50,000KB is size with one at zero KB. ( I am guessing these are the correct files... I'll see if I can get a confirmation for you...)

i'm not yet sure what cause my pc behave bad. i contacted Norton symantec, my antivirus software manufacture, and they did several scan on my pc and found no virus or any other malware.

My OS is windows 7 64 bit. i checked my drives using this software:
http://download.cnet.com/Stellar-Sma...-10620654.html

i'm not convinced. The Winamp stopped working after a reboot. i just dont know.

i've backed up the entire %appdata% winamp folder.

in this folder there are main.dat and main.dx
main.dat is 2673 kb in size and
main.idx is 61kb in size.
Old 3rd April 2011, 20:10   #13
jen77

Quote:
BTW - the worst case you are looking at here is reimporting all your music. This will mean you will still have all your artwork, and all your track names, artist names, etc. The only thing you will loose will be your "last played" dates, playcount and your ratings.

(Newer versions of Winamp can store ratings in the tracks, but that is not relevant here at this moment)

Notice too that in the %appdata%\winamp\plugins\ml folder you will see some "*.m3u" files. These are your playlists and can be reimported (they have just lost their titles, but still know the tracks to be played).
i see. So in the future, or if this cannot be fixed (i hope it can tho) i should be looking to get a newer winamp version wich can store more track data in the files.

thanks again for replying!
Old 3rd April 2011, 20:36   #14
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

In the current release of Winamp it can store the ratings in the actual files. Look in Preferences under Media Library and you will find an option labelled "Save ratings to file for compatible formats (default: off)". Tick this and all your future ratings are kept in the actual music file.

In future, you can backup the Winamp folder. There is a backup tool that can be found in the forum that will do this for you. That means keeping the playcounts and dates as well as many other Winamp settings.

-=-=-

How many tracks do you have? main.dat looks pretty small to me, so I am assuming it is empty and your database is probably lost. You are probably just going to need to rescan the database and restart the playcounts and ratings.

As I guess there is no backup, you can try a chkdsk and see if anything lucky pops out in a c:\found.000 folder. The SMART software you found was helpful.

Next run a Disk Check on the C: drive and see if any lost files are found. It sounds to me like you had some form of disk corruption which damages the files in the %appdata%\winamp folder - or maybe just the ones in memory at the time. This would explain why Winamp restarted "ugly" as it had lost winamp.ini as well as the database.

If you are lucky, a Disk Check may find that lost branch of settings.

-=-=-

Norton isn't the best of Anti-Virus out there. If you suspect a virus, you could download Malwarebytes and give it a scan. www.malwarebytes.org

What happen when the PC went odd on you? How old is it? And could it be full of dust and overheating?

I repair computers by day, so can help you narrow this down. Ask me questions, and I'll help you through these different things. I don't know your experience level, so let me know what level to pitch the details.

Do a Disk Check, see if we are lucky finding anything. But, as it stand now, I think you have lost your database when your PC spluttered.
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:45   #15
jen77

Quote:
In the current release of Winamp it can store the ratings in the actual files. Look in Preferences under Media Library and you will find an option labelled "Save ratings to file for compatible formats (default: off)". Tick this and all your future ratings are kept in the actual music file.

In future, you can backup the Winamp folder. There is a backup tool that can be found in the forum that will do this for you. That means keeping the playcounts and dates as well as many other Winamp settings.

-=-=-

How many tracks do you have? main.dat looks pretty small to me, so I am assuming it is empty and your database is probably lost. You are probably just going to need to rescan the database and restart the playcounts and ratings.

As I guess there is no backup, you can try a chkdsk and see if anything lucky pops out in a c:\found.000 folder. The SMART software you found was helpful.

Next run a Disk Check on the C: drive and see if any lost files are found. It sounds to me like you had some form of disk corruption which damages the files in the %appdata%\winamp folder - or maybe just the ones in memory at the time. This would explain why Winamp restarted "ugly" as it had lost winamp.ini as well as the database.

If you are lucky, a Disk Check may find that lost branch of settings.

-=-=-

Norton isn't the best of Anti-Virus out there. If you suspect a virus, you could download Malwarebytes and give it a scan. www.malwarebytes.org

What happen when the PC went odd on you? How old is it? And could it be full of dust and overheating?

I repair computers by day, so can help you narrow this down. Ask me questions, and I'll help you through these different things. I don't know your experience level, so let me know what level to pitch the details.

Do a Disk Check, see if we are lucky finding anything. But, as it stand now, I think you have lost your database when your PC spluttered.

-ok i'll look into that backup tool in the future thx!

i'm not sure how many tracks i had, but i'm guessing maybe 3000 tracks. Not sure though as i cannot add the media again to the currently corrupted winamp i have, it will only crash.

i ran the disk check on all drives i have (C/D/I/F/J) and it found no problem on any of them. The D drive uses winamp so i checked it again to be sure - still nothing.

i'm not really suspecting a virus, as i don't download / visit 'unsecure' websites regularly, and i update and scan very often.
When my pc was behaving bad (running slower etc. ) i restarted, however, i think during the restart that maybe the psu died or something, because for a moment i think the pc had no power. Maybe the pc died when i was restarting, and winamp didnt close properly yet, and therefor it is now broken idk.

My pc is about 11 months old, and i clean it from dust (all fans and the entire case) with compressed air at least once a week.

i'm not sure what i would say my experience level is. i wouldn't want to say highly experienced because then i might not understand later and it would be embarrassing
so i guess i'm going to say medium.

i guess i'll have to download a new one :/
thx
Old 4th April 2011, 07:56   #16
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

If the media library is crashing when you add things to it, it is showing it is corrupted. You can close winamp and delete those main.dat and main.idx files and then try your import again. Library should at least start rebuilding.

I would still advise you to get Malwarebytes as Norton is pretty hopeless when it comes to detection. Having a "second opinion" of a free scanner like Malwarebytes will always help. And viruses do not just come from "dodgy" websites, many legitimate websites hand out infections as well when they get hacked.

After your disk check of C, did you look for a c:\found.000 folder? (may be a hidden file).
Old 5th April 2011, 09:19   #17
jen77

Quote:
If the media library is crashing when you add things to it, it is showing it is corrupted. You can close winamp and delete those main.dat and main.idx files and then try your import again. Library should at least start rebuilding.

I would still advise you to get Malwarebytes as Norton is pretty hopeless when it comes to detection. Having a "second opinion" of a free scanner like Malwarebytes will always help. And viruses do not just come from "dodgy" websites, many legitimate websites hand out infections as well when they get hacked.

After your disk check of C, did you look for a c:\found.000 folder? (may be a hidden file).

hello, sorry for not responding yesterday,never had time to try it out.

i downloaded and installed a new winamp (on a different hdd) but this does not work. i'm unable to do anything with the new winamp. Can't add media, can't scan folders - Nothing. Whenever i try to, nothing happens. i doestn crash, but nothing is added.
Old 5th April 2011, 09:27   #18
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Three questions: Did you check for the C:\found.000 folder by turning on hidden files? (A last chance of seeing if the database was recovered after the disk check)

On the fresh install to a new hard disk, did you start with nothing in %appdata%\winamp? Or were you trying from the backed up data.

When you say "nothing happens" when you add music, do you even see the progress bar of the operation starting? And how are you adding your tracks?
Old 5th April 2011, 15:21   #19
jen77

Quote:
Three questions: Did you check for the C:\found.000 folder by turning on hidden files? (A last chance of seeing if the database was recovered after the disk check)

On the fresh install to a new hard disk, did you start with nothing in %appdata%\winamp? Or were you trying from the backed up data.

When you say "nothing happens" when you add music, do you even see the progress bar of the operation starting? And how are you adding your tracks?

1. i turned on hidden files but i found nothing.
2. i had my previous data in %appdata%\winamp i suppose i should clean this one before trying again?
3 Nope, not even a progress bar.

i click 'file' in top left corner,
'add media'
then select my music folder wich has got subfolders,then 'add'.

oh, and i have 'scan folders in background' enabled.
Old 5th April 2011, 16:10   #20
Spiney

Always Backup, you have plenty of Hard Drives, I have two backups of my Music, just in case, good luck getting it sorted.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 16:23   #21
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

1\ Okay, we have to give up on the old database then and start fresh.

2\ As there could be something odd with this install, I would uninstall Winamp and then delete that %appdata%\winamp branch to start totally fresh. Then reinstall Winamp.

3\ Lack of progress bar is odd. I assume you have checked the folder still has music in it? What happens if you just drag a folder full of music into the main media library window. Will it add it then?

I think item 3\ shows us we need to look at item 2\ first and do a clean install with an empty %appdata%\winamp folder.
Old 5th April 2011, 16:31   #22
jen77

Quote:
1\ Okay, we have to give up on the old database then and start fresh.

2\ As there could be something odd with this install, I would uninstall Winamp and then delete that %appdata%\winamp branch to start totally fresh. Then reinstall Winamp.

3\ Lack of progress bar is odd. I assume you have checked the folder still has music in it? What happens if you just drag a folder full of music into the main media library window. Will it add it then?

I think item 3\ shows us we need to look at item 2\ first and do a clean install with an empty %appdata%\winamp folder.

okay, something is wrong here. when i start up winamp, i select the 'history' tab in media library (below Bookmars/podcast etc) and then some of my latest played music will show up!
it displays the ocrrect ammount of play count, the correct rating and other information. Also, i can play this track here. this will work. But when i go to the normal library, there is nothing there.
Old 5th April 2011, 16:42   #23
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

History data is in different files I think.

Just taking an educated guess, the "recent.idx" and "recent.dat" files in the %winamp%\appdata\ml\ folder are probably holding the HISTORY data.

And you mention PLAYLISTS - so you still have these then?

Sounds to me like just main.dat and main.idx is corrupted. Close Winamp and delete (or rename) just those two files. Reopen winamp and try importing again. Currently I am guessing you cannot import to your database as it is corrupted.

Ah - a different thought. Before you do the above, are you sure your screen is laid out correctly. Could you just be looking at a confused screen layout? Do you at least see the normal column headers, etc in the Media Library view?
Old 5th April 2011, 17:43   #24
jen77

Quote:
History data is in different files I think.

Just taking an educated guess, the "recent.idx" and "recent.dat" files in the %winamp%\appdata\ml\ folder are probably holding the HISTORY data.

And you mention PLAYLISTS - so you still have these then?

Sounds to me like just main.dat and main.idx is corrupted. Close Winamp and delete (or rename) just those two files. Reopen winamp and try importing again. Currently I am guessing you cannot import to your database as it is corrupted.

Ah - a different thought. Before you do the above, are you sure your screen is laid out correctly. Could you just be looking at a confused screen layout? Do you at least see the normal column headers, etc in the Media Library view?
playlists are all gone, in the media library view its nothing just a gray window. i can upload a screenshot if you like.

i will try that.
Old 5th April 2011, 17:47   #25
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

playlists - have you found the .m3u files in your backup of the %appdata%\winamp branch? The copy you made at the start of this. Loads of .m3u files should be in there. Unless we got a total fail of the whole folder.
Old 5th April 2011, 18:57   #26
jen77

Quote:
playlists - have you found the .m3u files in your backup of the %appdata%\winamp branch? The copy you made at the start of this. Loads of .m3u files should be in there. Unless we got a total fail of the whole folder.

No .m3u files in there :/

not in %appdata% or the original backup
Old 5th April 2011, 19:20   #27
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Okay. This is sounding more like you lost the whole of the %appdata%\winamp folder when you had your computer hiccup. Have any other programs been affected? Or just Winamp suffering? (It is a little weird we still have some of the history and yet no .m3u8 files in the plugins\ml\ folder.)

Just to confirm - do you still have your music files safe on the hard disk? The physical MP3 files.

What we finally have to do is to get your music to reimport now. It sounds like we now have now option but to start again. So close winamp, delete the main.dat and main.idx files from %appdata%\winamp\plugins\ml\ and then open Winamp and try importing your music. This should hopefully work this time and rebuild a fresh media library.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:58   #28
jen77

Quote:
Okay. This is sounding more like you lost the whole of the %appdata%\winamp folder when you had your computer hiccup. Have any other programs been affected? Or just Winamp suffering? (It is a little weird we still have some of the history and yet no .m3u8 files in the plugins\ml\ folder.)

Just to confirm - do you still have your music files safe on the hard disk? The physical MP3 files.

What we finally have to do is to get your music to reimport now. It sounds like we now have now option but to start again. So close winamp, delete the main.dat and main.idx files from %appdata%\winamp\plugins\ml\ and then open Winamp and try importing your music. This should hopefully work this time and rebuild a fresh media library.

Only Winamp is acting weird.
i still have all my music files on the HDD
they are on another HDD than the winamp installation is, if that matters.
Old 6th April 2011, 16:07   #29
jen77

Quote:

i deleted the main.dat main.dx (made a backup first) and restarted winamp, and right away winamp said "you currently have no media in your library. Add media"

and so i did, i scanned and added all my files (wich btw was at this point 4950) and i can now play them, although all data is gone. if i look in 'history' tab my 'old' tracks are there with correct data, but they cannot be played (nothing happens when i try to play them)

is there anyway i could import a media database now? or anything similiar to give me the data back( i would think it is not all lost since its still in history tab, but i might be wrong here)
or should i just give up and start building on a new library?

thx
Old 6th April 2011, 16:25   #30
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I don't know if there is a way of reattaching the old data to the new. We would need a Dev to answer that one.

The only suggestion I would have would be a rather slow process of hacking a backup. You could export the new library, and then manually edit the data to make it look like those old history files. Then reimport. Which is both time consuming and a little boring.

I think your best bet now is to just give up on the old counts and start fresh. Just now, learn how the Winamp Backup Util works (see elsewhere in forum). Also backup your music files as well. A good habit to get into

At least you have Winamp alive and working with your music again. That is the important bit.
Old 6th April 2011, 18:43   #31
jen77

Quote:
I don't know if there is a way of reattaching the old data to the new. We would need a Dev to answer that one.

The only suggestion I would have would be a rather slow process of hacking a backup. You could export the new library, and then manually edit the data to make it look like those old history files. Then reimport. Which is both time consuming and a little boring.

I think your best bet now is to just give up on the old counts and start fresh. Just now, learn how the Winamp Backup Util works (see elsewhere in forum). Also backup your music files as well. A good habit to get into

At least you have Winamp alive and working with your music again. That is the important bit.
yeah i guess you are right. i will delete my old winamp stuff and work on a new library. Too bad playlists are gone though :/

i will look into that Backup Tool for future use!

Thank you for your help!
Old 6th April 2011, 18:55   #32
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Happy to help, but it is a pity we could not rescue the old data. At least this gives you an excuse to have a fresh dig through your music collection.

That backup tool is a very useful little thing. Makes it easy to keep the bits that you really want. Personally I just cheat and zip up the whole %appdata%\winamp folder regularly.

Did you work out what caused the initial PC hiccup?
Old 6th April 2011, 19:37   #33
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Personally I just cheat and zip up the whole %appdata%\winamp folder regularly.
Sure, but Backup Tool saves files, which are not part of your config folder too. E.g. a lot of plugins still don't support multiple profiles, so their settings are not part of %appdata%\winamp.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 20:08   #34
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

On cue our backup expert to help you avoid this happening again. Koopa - saver of lives.
Old 10th November 2011, 01:52   #35
qrf

I just donated !!!

I can only TRY to tell you how thankful I am for your contribution Koopa. I virtually lost my MIND when I lost my whole ML over a year ago- 200 plus playlists devotionally crafted and created. Like getting kicked in the crotch while getting the wind knocked out of me at the same time. I PRAY: May my small donation of $14 (US) be multiplied thousands of times over! Feel my gratitude! For I now feel safe to begin rebuilding once again what was lost. Thanks to you, my CONSIDERABLE efforts will never again be vulnerable in that way that cost me (and my community and friends- the people who I play music for) so very dearly. Honestly... Bless you.
qrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 21:38   #36
TheTopMostDog

Well, I had this issue too..

Perhaps worth noting, it started after I purchased Pro a few months ago and installed that over the free version. It didn't happen immediately, but after a few days to a week (it may have been the first reboot, or closing/reopening winamp). I've just been manually loading my music since, and only today decided to remove a file at a time till it came good.. Probably woulda saved time to come and check the forums, haha.

I'm on win7 x64 and aside from the 100+ hours of uptime I usually get, I also hibernate my system most downtimes unless I'm required to do a restart. I have a Creative X-Fi sound card, use the default winamp modern skin and often have an old gen iPod video connected. I'm willing to attach any settings/log files or anything that may help (just let me know what ones, where, would be of help).

Oh, also, I have the Last.fm scrobbler running all the time.. Just to be complete in my report.

EDIT:
OH! I just went into my ML settings to rescan my watch folders and I noticed that the ~85th entry is just "F:\Documents and". *shrug*
TheTopMostDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 15:42   #37
nosepail

I hit the same issue today. My entire music database appears to be wiped out. I am even willing to reset the database, but even this does not seem to work. I click Reset Database, and it deletes my main.dat and main.idx files but does not regenerate new ones. How do I trigger it so it creates a new database? Otherwise the application is not usable.
nosepail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 15:50   #38
DrO

you have to re-add the media yourself. once the database is reset, there is no way of knowing what there was previously so unless you've got watch folders setup, manually adding things back is the only way to get Winamp to see things.

as for the corruption, did this happen with the current Winamp release from my signature (v5.666 build 3516 + the 2 required plug-in patches) ? as i've not seen such reports happening with the v5.66x releases after a number of fixes were made to mitigate against database corruption.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 16:04   #39
nosepail

Winamp 5.63

I don't know how to "readd" the media myself. Any operation in Winamp (e.g. "Library | Add Media To Library") has no effect and I simply get the "there was an error in local database" message.
nosepail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 16:12   #40
DrO

you need to be using the version of Winamp i've mentioned. the version you have installed is known to be susceptible to the database corruption issue you've experienced (as i put a load of work into the newer Winamp releases to try to resolve the issue, so that is why you need to start by updating to the current Winamp version as i've mentioned in my first reply).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
corrupted, required, winamp, windows