Old 19th September 2013, 09:36   #1
starsailor

New version crashing on start

I installed the newest winamp version, it was working until yesterday and suddenly now winamp won't start at all. I get the "winamp has stopped working" pop-up.
I tried reinstalling, to no avail.
Here's the zipped copy of the dump file. Please help
Attached Files
File Type: zip winamp_130919_112125.zip (710.1 KB, 97 views)
starsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 11:08   #2
DrO

can you provide an info report please as i can see Winamp trying to load a modern skin which then fails but i cannot determine from the dump what the skin is. plus i assume this is on Windows 7 ?

also can you make sure there are no compatibility settings being applied to Winamp. you'd need to right-click on winamp.exe -> properties -> compatibility tab and un-check any enabled options (especially OS compatibility as that's known to cause issues).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 11:43   #3
starsailor

attached is the info report.
I disabled the compatibility function, I had enabled it hoping it would solve the problem, but it didn't.
But it crashes with compatibility unchecked, too.
The skin should be Bento Large.

BTW, can you advise a plugin compatible with the new version for the function Find File on Disk? I was used to have it and it doesn't work anymore.
thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt Winamp_Info_Report_19.09.2013.txt (22.9 KB, 77 views)
Old 19th September 2013, 11:53   #4
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsailor View Post
BTW, can you advise a plugin compatible with the new version for the function Find File on Disk? I was used to have it and it doesn't work anymore.
thanks
i can as i'm the one who caused the problem and was the author of the plug-in. the functionality was natively added to Winamp v5.64 so a plug-in is no longer needed. The problem is that you're using the Italian language pack and i don't think it's been updated to have the native menu item (which the plug-in otherwise added) as we've not had anyone properly maintaining the Italian language pack for a few years now. we'll have to patch the language pack to include the menu item.

Quote:
attached is the info report.
I disabled the compatibility function, I had enabled it hoping it would solve the problem, but it didn't.
But it crashes with compatibility unchecked, too.
The skin should be Bento Large.
can you rename gen_delete.dll to gen_delete.off in the Winamp\Plugins folder and also ml_wa2_scrobbler.dll to ml_wa2_scrobbler.off and try starting Winamp again please.
Old 19th September 2013, 12:08   #5
starsailor

re: the Italian language pack, how can I switch it to using the English? I got no problem with that.

I renamed both files but it crashes all the same.
thankls
Old 19th September 2013, 15:32   #6
starsailor

this is the dump report
Attached Files
File Type: zip winamp_130919_172832.zip (586.8 KB, 91 views)
Old 19th September 2013, 17:48   #7
DrO

as Winamp won't load, you'd need to change the langpack entry in %appdata%\Winamp\winamp.ini and change it to just be langpack=

also, something else to try is running Winamp with /SAFE=1 which will disable any of the Essentials Pack plug-ins from being loaded to see if they're possibly the cause of the issue.

in the mean while, the dump has shown a few things which need to be altered to better cope with invalid values so depending on what happens above, i'll have to try to sort out a newer gen_ff.dll for you to try out (which may take a few days).
Old 19th September 2013, 18:11   #8
starsailor

as I didn't know how to run winamp with SAFE 1, I directly uninstalled the Essential Pack plugins but it crashes anyway.
It also crashes with the new language pack.
Thanks!
Old 19th September 2013, 18:20   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
in winamps prefs, highlight the "plugins" part of the tree and u can click restart in safe mode, although I am assuming it will block the EP, but idk for sure.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 18:23   #10
DrO

Quote:
as I didn't know how to run winamp with SAFE 1, I directly uninstalled the Essential Pack plugins but it crashes anyway.
It also crashes with the new language pack.
Thanks!
ok, i naively assumed you were using the procdump method to run things and so had a vague understanding of how to add an option to the command-line. as the /SAFE=1 part just needs to be put after the 'winamp.exe' part. alternatively, if you're starting winamp from a shortcut, if you add /SAFE=1 at the end of the 'target' field then that should do what's needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
in winamps prefs, highlight the "plugins" part of the tree and u can click restart in safe mode, although I am assuming it will block the EP, but idk for sure.
that doesn't work when you cannot open Winamp (as is the case here).
Old 19th September 2013, 18:35   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

good point. perhaps it would be an idea for the installer to offer a "safe mode" shortcut, but that is not installed by default, so people in this situation can get the function when doing a reinstall, without having to know the nitty gritty?

--
Old 19th September 2013, 18:44   #12
DrO

we committed the change to do that via the installer a week ago.
Old 19th September 2013, 19:10   #13
starsailor

PRocdum 6.0
error launching c:\program files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe/SAFE=1
Error 2 (0x2): Impossible to find specified file
Old 19th September 2013, 19:13   #14
DrO

use "c:\program files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe" /SAFE=1
note: the quotes around the winamp path and the space before the parameter

[edit]
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....mp#post2945094 shows what's needed
Old 19th September 2013, 19:19   #15
starsailor

Okay. It crashes in safe mode, too. thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 19:20   #16
DrO

can you provide a crash dump when it's run under safe mode please.
Old 19th September 2013, 19:30   #17
starsailor

here goes
Attached Files
File Type: zip winamp_130919_212928.zip (306.9 KB, 72 views)
Old 19th September 2013, 19:52   #18
DrO

thanks. one thing else to try (which i doubt will make a difference but is to rule it out) is to completely stop 'Bonjour' on the system and see what that does (is the only non-Winamp and non-Microsoft component which shows up in the dump).
Old 19th September 2013, 20:00   #19
starsailor

stopped Bonjour, to no avail, it crashes immediately.
thanks for your patience.
Could be some windows update? Yesterday it worked fine and I haven't changed anything
Old 19th September 2013, 20:07   #20
DrO

maybe, i really cannot be certain as i'm not seeing anything obvious as shims applied by the OS. there's some things i can try, but like i mentioned it might take a few days.

the alternative is to use a classic skin in the interim which can be done by having just skin= in the winamp.ini file (which i suspect will allow Winamp to run but you won't have the Bento skin).
Old 19th September 2013, 20:12   #21
starsailor

okay, did that. It works. No Bento skin, but I don't care that much, provided it works.
The only other thing I need is a plugin for m4a, flac, aac and cue, don't need anything else. thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 20:32   #22
DrO

you already have everything installed to support those file formats expect for cue support (as we don't have native support and most of the 3rd party plug-ins don't work anymore).
Old 19th September 2013, 20:40   #23
MrSinatra
Forum King

that's fascinating. so its not a language pack issue and not a plugin issue? why would classic skin work and not bento? what is causing the trip up in bento?

--
Old 19th September 2013, 20:49   #24
DrO

if i knew then i would be able to easily provide a solution for the crash in gen_ff.dll (so it is a plug-in issue).
Old 19th September 2013, 21:09   #25
MrSinatra
Forum King

I should have specified 3rd party plugins. I would be curious what would happen if he backed up all his ini files and so on, and then restarted winamp in safe mode, and then turned on Bento (if not on already). the thinking being maybe there is a weird setting or corruption in the ini or related type files? i'm just super curious how he could have provoked this crash, (assuming he did)?

--
Old 19th September 2013, 21:15   #26
DrO

it's most likely something about the system and even due to the recent batch of Windows updates messing with things.
Old 21st September 2013, 21:09   #27
DrO

starsailor: pm sent with something to try out.
Old 26th September 2013, 16:48   #28
phroberts

I'm having the same issue (I think). v5.65(x86) on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit. Everything worked fine until I believe yesterday. I had a Flash Player update then, but I'm not sure if that's related. If I open Winamp first, before attempting to play any music, it loads all of the browser stuff on the main screen, but as soon as I attempt to play music the cursor changes to the "chasing circle" loading icon and the browser area turns white. I can't skip songs or close winamp without opening task manager. Any suggestions? Is there an easy way to uninstall the update to flash player to see if that's the problem?
phroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 17:48   #29
MrSinatra
Forum King

in my previous post, I meant to say the OP could try backing up all his ini / settings etc and THEN deleting them, and then start winamp. I sloppily left out the proper steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phroberts View Post
I'm having the same issue (I think). v5.65(x86) on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit. Everything worked fine until I believe yesterday. I had a Flash Player update then, but I'm not sure if that's related. If I open Winamp first, before attempting to play any music, it loads all of the browser stuff on the main screen, but as soon as I attempt to play music the cursor changes to the "chasing circle" loading icon and the browser area turns white. I can't skip songs or close winamp without opening task manager. Any suggestions? Is there an easy way to uninstall the update to flash player to see if that's the problem?
I doubt the flash player has anything to do with it, as we should have heard more by now from others if so. if u suspect it, its easy enough to uninstall from CP and reinstall later.

where is the music located? run the info tool and post it, and also try safe mode.

--
Old 27th September 2013, 16:49   #30
phroberts

I just uninstalled and reinstalled winamp... fixed my problem. I know it's not the best troubleshooting method, but it's working for now, so I'm good with that.

Heath
phroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support