Old 19th September 2013, 13:48   #1
Damocles

Winamp Version 5.65

I have recently downloaded the above version of Winamp.
However, I can only play audio but not videos like those downloaded in Youtube.
I am using Windows operating system 7 64bit.
Thank you.
Regards,
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 15:52   #2
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

If all components have been checked during the install process, Winamp should play at least some of the video file-formats, for example WMV and FLV. I know, for MP4 only audio can be heard, if this video-file-format is played in Winamp (free version). You need extra-codecs. The Winamp Forums are full with such threads about this topic.
I think, You have downloaded the videos as MP4...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 21:54   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Damocles,

Link below for info on getting certain formats working in the Winamp free version.

http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...38&postcount=2

The Pro version (only $20.00) has native support for H.264 encoded video in AVI, MP4, MKV, FLV, and NSV containers.

Also read the sticky on "Info Required When Posting". It speeds things up when specific details are provided up front (like the video formats you are trying to play, YouTube vids can be saved in various ways). If you need help figuring out what the formats are, use "MediaInfo" (link below).

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 01:36   #4
Damocles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi Damocles,

Link below for info on getting certain formats working in the Winamp free version.

http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...38&postcount=2

The Pro version (only $20.00) has native support for H.264 encoded video in AVI, MP4, MKV, FLV, and NSV containers.

Also read the sticky on "Info Required When Posting". It speeds things up when specific details are provided up front (like the video formats you are trying to play, YouTube vids can be saved in various ways). If you need help figuring out what the formats are, use "MediaInfo" (link below).

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo
I remembered that earlier versions of Winamp can play both audio & video automatically.
Hassle free.
Hopefully, very hopefully, the developers of Winamp will take note of the problems faced by users, especially those who are not very conversant with programs and such, to iron out the problems and make Winamp as usable to them as possible.
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 14:37   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Damocles,

There are a lot more video formats in use now, and even when they are used correctly, some adjustments may be needed especially with the free version of Winamp.

The Winamp developers are concerned with user video playback issues. They do what they can within the app itself and provide info on which adjustments (usually 3rd party codecs) may help.

Users need to do their part (skim through the sticky on Troubleshooting) and provide exact details of their problems (and the equipment being used) and sometimes samples of the video(s) in question.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 21st September 2013, 14:39   #6
DrO

and doesn't help that video has never been Winamp's strong point, audio is more where it's had the time and effort put with video support sadly lacking (and is hard to be keen to do anything about it when everyone just used VLC for video anyway).

but like Aminfu points out, video formats have changed a lot since Winamp got it's video support and even though we've added support for some of the main codec types, with the heavily restricted resources we have (and not forgetting licensing) we just don't have the means to do like VLC can do (and get away without having to pay licensing) to be able to do all of the weird and wonderful video formats.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 15:02   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Yes, it is important to note that VLC is made in a country where it is legal to iqnore licensing fees (not pay people for their hard work).

Where would we be, and what would we have to work and play with, if every country did that. People need, and deserve, to be paid for their work. Nothing is really free, everything must be paid for, one way or another. I'd rather pay a reasonable amount up front, than a hidden cost through the 'back door'.

Old 21st September 2013, 15:02   #8
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Another suggestion from me: You can convert the videos to WMV. I myself do that, too. I have recently downloaded a few videos with Real Player. At first I have to select the pixel-size in the YouTube-Player, then I can start the download. Smaller videos are mostly downloaded as FLV and videos with a bigger pixel-size as MP4. Then I convert them to WMV. On the previous Windows Install I had used Formatwandler from SAD, but I use Format Factory now, which I have downloaded from the internet. I really want to have the videos as WMV. I began with WMV, when I had used Windows Movie Maker, later I have continued to export the videos as WMV with MAGIX Video Deluxe 17 Premium. Winamp plays WMV very well for me, and that's very good, because VLC does not come into my house / onto my computer...

I had copied a few MP4s as backups, after I had tagged them with Winamp. Tagging MP4s with Windows Explorer is not possible. I use them as audio-files, although these are video-files, and Milkdrop 2 reacts to MP4 (not to WMV and not to FLV). But I can watch them with Real Player. And although I say: "There is nothing better than Winamp", I need also the Real Player and the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin for some radio-websites. Mostly I use Winamp, and I do that each day, also in the bed, if neccessary...

Old 21st September 2013, 15:11   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Sternenmaschinebine,

Conversion is ok, when it works. Needless to say, you need a good conversion tool and a good source file to begin with.

But like with any translation, something is lost in the process. Just saying ...

Old 21st September 2013, 15:30   #10
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Frank and I got also a few video-files as WMV from our friends via E-Mail. They have very small pixel-sizes. Some older YouTube-Videos have also very small pixel-sizes. I also got WMV-files as attachements in PMs.

On the website of HubbleSpace I selected directly WMV, when I downloaded them, I did the same on some other websites.

I don't think, that my own music-videos, which I have uploaded also on YouTube, would have a very bad quality now. The videos in 480p and 720p have been created with the Windows Movie Maker, and Windows Movie Maker had exported them always as WMV. With a 1080p-video Windows Movie Maker had built crap, and YouTube had bawled it from 16:9 to 4:3. I had sent the file to someone else, he had edited my video with Virtual Dub and he had sent it back. I had uploaded also the new version and I had switched the old version to "Not listed".

I have just watched the 3 new Terragen-Demos in Winamp, and they look very good. I have pasted also the Planetside-Logo as cover.jpg into the same new folder, because Winamp displays the album art for the videos. Format Factory is very good...

Old 21st September 2013, 15:34   #11
DrO

Quote:
Yes, it is important to note that VLC is made in a country where it is legal to iqnore licensing fees (not pay people for their hard work).
but then when different regions do different things e.g. MP3 patent durations vary between the US and Europe then it's not surprising that it's all a mess. maybe with the VLC case they do pay something but who knows as for some formats it's a bulk payment whereas other things it's on a per-unit basis unless you're below a certain limit - as i wouldn't be surprised if the VLC user base is noticeably larger than the Winamp user base even at it's peak of a few years back.

Quote:
Where would we be, and what would we have to work and play with, if every country did that. People need, and deserve, to be paid for their work. Nothing is really free, everything must be paid for, one way or another. I'd rather pay a reasonable amount up front, than a hidden cost through the 'back door'.
but sadly a lot of people don't see it that way for a lot of things (especially when it comes to anything digital as it's not tangibly real).

anyhoo, that's all wondering off topic too much by my own hand.

though on a related topic, i believe if someone really wanted to, they could fashion an input plug-in using libvlc to handle video formats without having to go the directshow route (which as we keep seeing is prone to failure).
Old 21st September 2013, 16:07   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
there are other business models. certain companies are built on open source. certain codecs are royalty free. some office suites, OS's, etc, are free.

I don't begrudge winamp making money. it obviously has to and needs to. but its the approach I find wrong. trying to make money off of features others give away for free is a good way to get people not to use your product. its also a good way to get people, like the OP, to think erroneously that the product is buggy.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 16:20   #13
DrO

go on then as i fancy a giggle...

what business model should be in use...?

what features could be charged for...?

how can any of it be charged for when under your description of things all of the main features (including those already as part of 'pro') are already given away for free by other players e.g. Foobar2000, VLC, etc ...?

how can you make the numbers balance to fund a reasonably sized development team (and associated management needed) catering for the different platforms in use currently and which people also want to see developed for...?
Old 21st September 2013, 16:47   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
go on then as i fancy a giggle...
you are always so snide.

Quote:
what business model should be in use...?
that depends on what winamp is willing to do. charging for hands on support is one method other companies use. charging to develop/deploy features other players don't have is another. charging for hardware that is tightly integrated with your software is another. integrating a "winamp plugin store" is another. basically a place inside winamp where users could get free or paid for plugins, to expand winamp. the plugins could be in house or 3rd party, and if 3rd party, like apple, you'd get a cut (unless it was free of course). winamp could revive plugin creation via this way, and get revenue for doing nothing but validating plugins, and that would solve that issue as well, (meaning, old/dead plugins).

Quote:
what features could be charged for...?
any that don't exist elsewhere. although I should state that I don't approve of the free/pro paradigm. I think winamps best approach is adding a plugins store, something it has half done on the droid app.

imo, the free app should come with all the plugins and functionality another app offers for free, more or less. make your money on the plugins that extend the experience.

let me ask you this, why should someone buy pro? what functions does it have that aren't easily attainable elsewhere for free? how sustainable is that model?

Quote:
how can any of it be charged for when under your description of things all of the main features (including those already as part of 'pro') are already given away for free by other players e.g. Foobar2000, VLC, etc ...?
don't ask me, ask yourself. why do you think anyone will or should buy something that's available for free? I mean, ok, some people do, but is it sustainable?

things like the cloud and the droid client are the proper ways to find new revenue. they promote the desktop app and vice versa. I will say however that if winamp had a winamp store, u guys could develop plugins and sell them, that would allow winamp to work with OTHER cloud services, not just your own.

Quote:
how can you make the numbers balance to fund a reasonably sized development team (and associated management needed) catering for the different platforms in use currently and which people also want to see developed for...?
I don't know the numbers, and a lot of what I am saying above is you have to innovate and create new markets or else you become the horse and buggy and die. is there a risk? yes, but its less risky than charging to go from 8x rip speed to unlimited.

--
Old 21st September 2013, 16:58   #15
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

foobar2000?... There are some software and media players, which don't come onto my computer, for example foobar2000, VLC, iTunes, Quicktime, Spotify for the desktop etc. (sorry, but I have to say that!).

Winamp 5.7 Beta, Winamp for Android, Winamp Cloud and the website player in the browser are very good, and I have enough media player on my computer: Windows Media Player, Real Player and Winamp.

I will throw the Hamstersoft Software into the trash basket, and I have to re-convert some videos with Format Factory...

Old 21st September 2013, 17:01   #16
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine Klare View Post
foobar2000?... There are some media players, which don't come onto my computer, for example foobar2000, VLC, iTunes, Quicktime etc. (sorry, but I have to say that!).

Winamp 5.7 Beta, Winamp for Android, Winamp Cloud and the website player in the browser are very good, and I have enough media player on my computer: Windows Media Player, Real Player and Winamp.

I will throw the Hamstersoft Software into the trash basket, and I have to re-convert some videos with Format Factory...
you won't put fb2k or VLC on your machine, but you WILL put realplayer on it???

I'd rather sit on a cactus.

--
Old 21st September 2013, 17:10   #17
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I saw all 3 media player icons once on many radio websites, when I had been invited again and again to the radio live events, and I remember, how the radio websites had looked 3 years ago. Today I see mostly less media player icons or also other media player icons on the radio websites...

Old 21st September 2013, 17:13   #18
MrSinatra
Forum King

if you had content that ONLY realplayer could handle, I could understand and see that as valid I guess, although in my case I would either seek out something like "real alternative" (which did exist, altho idk if it still does) or just forgo the content altogether. that's how much I hate RP.

--
Old 21st September 2013, 17:45   #19
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

To get new videos, Real Player is very good. To convert them to WMV, I use Format Factory now, after I have discovered today, that Hamstersoft has made unusable WMV-files...

Old 21st September 2013, 17:51   #20
MrSinatra
Forum King

I don't follow what you mean. to get new videos? meaning what? to record them? what is hamstersoft?

if you need a swiss army knife for video, I really like "Super"

http://www.facebook.com/eRightSoftcom

--
Old 21st September 2013, 17:56   #21
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Format Factory = very good file converter software:
http://www.pcfreetime.com/
Hamstersoft = very bad file converter software:
http://de.hamstersoft.com/
And I download a video from time to time with Real Player...

PS, just liked the Facebook-Page "eRightSoft"...

Old 21st September 2013, 18:04   #22
Aminifu
Forum King

Different stokes for different folks. There are no universal 'best practices' with the variety available currently.

What 'works' for a person (ease of use, quality of output, transportability, etc) works for that person.

Keep the (on topic) suggestions coming. Somewhere in the group, the OP should find something he can live with for his YouTube vids.

Old 21st September 2013, 19:14   #23
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine Klare View Post
Format Factory = very good file converter software:
http://www.pcfreetime.com/
Hamstersoft = very bad file converter software:
http://de.hamstersoft.com/
And I download a video from time to time with Real Player...

PS, just liked the Facebook-Page "eRightSoft"...
the 2 drawbacks of SUPER are finding the DL link on their website, (its there! just a PITA to find), and the learning curve of the app. but it is VERY powerful imo.

I have heard good things about hand brake and some other apps as well, but I just don't do much with video yet.

i'll keep format factory in mind, good name.

--
Old 21st September 2013, 19:46   #24
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

An artist-colleague has recommended Format Factory, when I wanted to convert a few WAV-files to MP3 in 320 kbps. Then I was able to do that with Audacity, but I have kept Format Factory, after on the new Windows Install "Formatwandler" from SAD did not convert the videos anymore. And it wasn't possible to play those videos, which I had converted with the newer Hamstersoft Video Converter Software. But the videos, which I have converted with Format Factory now, can be played. I have deleted the unusable videos...

Old 22nd September 2013, 14:29   #25
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Damocles,

Winamp mostly relies on a file's extension to determine the codecs needed to play the file. This sometimes causes the wrong ones to be used when the extension does not match up with formats used in the file. Some other apps look a little deeper into a file's contents to determine the codecs needed. This lets them be more successful in picking appropriate codecs. The Winamp developers may decide to take the same approach in the future.

Even if appropriate codecs are selected, they still need to be available on your computer. Robust codec packages (like the K-Lite pack) solves this problem.

There is a project by a Winamp user, currently going on, that lets Winamp use the current K-Lite mega package instead of some of it's official video plug-ins. Link below if you want to look into it (skip to post #11).

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=369826

There is another project by another Winamp user (much longer thread) that has been developing a plug-in (link below) to aid in video support for Winamp. This plug-in has been trying to keep up with the growing number of video formats in use (it also supports many audio formats).

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=319968

And it is not a bad idea to try to stick to formats (or, as been suggested, convert to formats) that the default Winamp installation already knows how to handle fairly well.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support