Old 3rd February 2019, 04:18   #1
wanchoo

Gracenote Alternative

After winding up the development of WinAmp by Nullsoft the Gracenote facility available was terminated in the WinAmp App because it was not free. WinAmp is now being developed by many of its die-hard fans because they and many others like I, consider it to be the best MP for music that ever was.

I wonder why one of its developers has not thought of incorporating FreeDB in lieu of Gracenote, with it like it is incorporated in EAC and also making WinAmp an open source App with the permission of NullSoft, if need be..
wanchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2019, 15:18   #2
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanchoo View Post
WinAmp is now being developed by many of its die-hard fans...

3 devs qualify for "many"? (3 doing stuff on their free-time + 1 paid focused on SHOUTcast)

Quote:
..and also making WinAmp an open source App with the permission of NullSoft..

Radionomy, not Nullsoft. They bought the full pack, so it's their call to release it or not.. (which is unlikely IMO)
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2019, 22:08   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
gracenote used to be a plugin. so it would be cool if someone created an audio fingerprinting plugin that worked with freedb or musicbrainz or whatever works with audio fingerprints.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2019, 03:20   #4
wanchoo

Thank you very much for the information provided by you. It might be a good idea to request and beg the three fans developing WinAmp in their free time to create the feedb plug-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
3 devs qualify for "many"? (3 doing stuff on their free-time + 1 paid focused on SHOUTcast)

Radionomy, not Nullsoft. They bought the full pack, so it's their call to release it or not.. (which is unlikely IMO)
wanchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2019, 15:52   #5
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
..might be a good idea to request and beg the three fans developing WinAmp in their free time to create the feedb plug-in.

Yeah.. don't get your expectations high on that. In the meantime you can check out WACUP (WinAmp Community Update Project), it has CD Title lookup provided by Musicbrainz.
Old 5th February 2019, 16:39   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

I wonder if plugins between the 2 are interchangeable?

I think they are with media monkey.

--
Old 5th February 2019, 16:53   #7
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Plugins besides the ones bundled with WACUP:
Winamp - - >WACUP yes*, WACUP - - > Winamp no

*if the plug-in was previously working fine one Winamp, that is.
Old 6th February 2019, 14:57   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Ha, so DrO is going to mirror the IP of Winamp, make sure his ver works with their plugins, and also make sure his plugins doesn't work with their ver.

Good god... u would think there would be a way to talk things out and drop old grudges? Some people just can't let go. I certainly admire his tenacity however.

--
Old 6th February 2019, 15:11   #9
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Despite personal reasons, his work is way beyond what could be done with Winamp as-is, so breaking compatibility is inescapable.
WACUP is certainly heading to be a new player entirely (with "Winamp compatibility" as a side feature). I would say that is a way of let go, that ship already sailed, if you're still here asking to the RN void for "improvements", who's the one who doesn't let go?
Old 6th February 2019, 15:26   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

Hey, this fight has nothing to do with me, let's not get it twisted. And I am sure there are defensible technical reasons to break things such that the compatibility is only one way, to his projects benefit alone. But let's not pretend that has happened in some kind of objective vacuum, bc it clearly has not.

I'm sure at some point I'll be using it, i'm agnostic on the matter (even if albeit a trifle sentimental), it's just a shame though it has come to this, and it's more than a bit unseemly as well, given what is being done and his background with it all.

I am not sure which all apps have 2 way plugin compatibility, but I think media monkey is one, and possibly foobar or dbpoweramp. Idk, I might be all wet on that, as I haven't tried in a long time... but even as competitors, they didn't purposely make it one way, and they certainly were not one time nullsoft devs who had previously been granted full viewing access to the entire source code. In some ways I think there is legal danger here, it just depends on radionomys posture I guess...?

Which all brings me back to the point that it's too bad whatever hurt feelings and slights of etiquette there may or may not have been, it can't just be worked out and handled like adults. It's a shame really that this is the way it turns out.

The big Q of course, is: .....is it 64 bit?? Haha

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion