Old 5th January 2007, 04:29   #1
agentx3r

winamp unicode & msn display

I have searched high and low, both on these forums and on google... when oh when is someone going to rebuild an msn display name plugin to support unicode? 5.3 has been out for months.. I mean I understand beggars can't be choosers, but is it really that hard to implement?

cheers and thanks |m/
X3R
agentx3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 04:36   #2
shaneh
Major Dude

The SDK hasn't been out, and the ML doesn't support unicode, and I'm not sure about ATF. So making a plugin such as gen_msn to support unicode isn't that simple without that support from winamp.
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 04:51   #3
agentx3r

bummer... well thanks for your answer. Guess i'll have to flaunt my foreign-language music collection another day lol
Old 5th January 2007, 09:23   #4
DrO

the relevant getfileinfo apis have unicode variants and can be used to get unicode metadata (i've been using them in one of my input plugins to deal with title formatting and that works correctly with the foreign test files i've got to play with) so really it's just a lack of interest/time from plugin devs to sort things out (especially since the apis are in the public sdk even the 5.25beta one which was previously released).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 13:13   #5
shaneh
Major Dude

Yeah its there, but the way gen_msn is designed is to try the media libray first for better performance. However, the ML doesnt support unicode, and Im not sure about ATF support yet. So its a transitive stage, its not something that happens overnight.
Old 5th January 2007, 13:35   #6
DrO

aye, well things are in place for accessing unicode metadata from all supporting input plugins and there are all of the atf equivalents for non-ml related apis, but yes the lack of support in the ml does hinder things for those using the ml for such things. i'll refrain from comment about the dev cycle of the new ml_local which is meant to resolve said unicode issue...

-daz
Old 7th January 2007, 07:33   #7
Shiina Mugg

I'm waiting for this too... Make make make!
Shiina Mugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 12:53   #8
shaneh
Major Dude

I have mostly completed the unicode aware version of gen_msn. I am just waiting on the new build of Winamp which will hopefully fix a few issues.

The ATF processing / meta data etc is still handled by the ML. The ML currently isn't unicode aware. So chances are if your file is in the ML, it won't be handled properly until something is done about that anyway. I'm curious to see exactly what will be done - probably just a requirement to refresh all meta data from disk into the ML.
Old 11th February 2007, 11:11   #9
shaneh
Major Dude

Ive uploaded a hopefully unicode compatible version of gen_msn to www.myplugins.info It will only have unicode support for Winamp 5.33+ (currently in beta).

Try it out and let me know if it works ok.
Old 11th February 2007, 11:16   #10
Shiina Mugg

Will try. Gotta update Winamp...
Old 11th February 2007, 11:36   #11
shaneh
Major Dude

I just made a minor update so re-download gen_msn.dll if you had already. Theres a bug with Winamp which causes some ATF processing to break which I worked around.
Old 11th February 2007, 11:36   #12
Shiina Mugg

Update: No my four kanji comes out as four question marks. It doesn't work. I used http://www.myplugins.info/gen_msn.exe as base and then replaced the dll with http://www.myplugins.info/gen_msn.dll
Old 11th February 2007, 11:40   #13
Shiina Mugg

Update: OK I redownloaded the dll, and the kanji now comes out fine. For some reason however the artist comes out twice, like this: "石原美香 - 石原美香 - Anything (preview)"
Formatting is set to "{1} - {0}"
Old 11th February 2007, 11:43   #14
shaneh
Major Dude

Try re-download again, i didnt upload the file properly.
Old 11th February 2007, 11:47   #15
Shiina Mugg

Yeah that fixed it. Perfect, finally!!

Actually the one thing that's missing now is the Last.fm guys gotta fix their stuff. Their client doesn't support funny characters :-(
Old 11th February 2007, 17:11   #16
agentx3r

awesome! plugin works great. Genre still comes out as question marks though, even though title and artist are formatted properly, and frankly i don't care.

cheers |m/
Old 11th February 2007, 23:24   #17
shaneh
Major Dude

As majority of the ATF handling is done by Winamp under versions 5.33+, most bugs (and consequently fixes and enhancements) will be handled by Winamp.

This means 'genre' coming out as question marks would be an issue with Winamp, but also when it is fixed in Winamp it will be reflected in gen_msn automatically.

You may just need to refresh your meta data for the item such that it reads the unicode information into the ML. But if not, you will need to wait for it to be fixed in Winamp itself.
Old 31st October 2007, 19:31   #18
man_of_the_oak

Can you fix that names in taskbar are "????" after installing plugin?
man_of_the_oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 00:35   #19
DrO

the plugin needs to be updated to use SetWindowLongW(..) if there's a successful IsWindowUnicode(..) result. was all detailed in i think it was the 5.34 beta thread so if 3rd party devs don't update then it's not nullsoft's issue since they've done all that that's need to support unicode taskbar display.

-daz
Old 10th November 2007, 07:49   #20
SiliconError

Send a message via ICQ to SiliconError
I took DrO's advice and updated MessengerAMP yesterday. I think it works fine now, even with the names in the taskbar.
SiliconError is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development