Winamp selfishly changes songs order in my playlist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monchi
    • Jun 2015

Winamp selfishly changes songs order in my playlist!

Hello.

So I have this playlist that has around 10000 songs in it (don't know if relevant). I basically randomized all songs I have in my music folder... and then saved the playlist.
    Everytime I need to turn off my computer, I write down the number of song so that I know where I left off. This morning the song under the number I wrote down last night didn't correspond with my memory. I'll present it like this:

My playlist last night:

670. : Song A
    671. : Song B

My playlist this morning:

670. : Song A
    671. : Song C
    672. : Song B

Unfortunately, I don't know where "song c" was last night, it's possible that it followed after "song B", still...

Is it something that winamp just does? I kinda have problem with it. (I know it doesn't remember the order of songs with the same name, if you have it sorted in alphabetical order)
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • ryerman
    Major Dude
    • Mar 2010

Have you kept track of your playlist this way for many days? How many?
    How many times have you noticed this difference? Is the first and only time?

If this was a one time thing, it will be almost impossible to investigate.
    If this behaviour happens every time you turn off your computer, then maybe you have a problem.

I don't know how to reproduce that behaviour and therefore can't offer a solution.
    If it keeps happening, you could start investigating by running in safe mode.
    Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin

Comment

• Monchi
      • Jun 2015

I do it 'keeping track of my playlist(s)' for many years - (with different playlist, of course), since I started using winamp. The playlist to which this problem concerns and my "counting process" was started a month ago 'ish. This happened for the first time ever (at least I hope, could have happened without me noticing).

So if it's only one time thing, I can overlook it and act as nothing happened. Here - problem solved .

And if it will happen again - nothing I cannot live with.

I was just curious if it's a thing that winamp does time to time or if it's happening to some other people, too.

Anyway, thanks for your time, have a good day.

Comment

• Aminifu
        Forum King
        • Aug 2011

Hi Monchi,

What version of Winamp are you using? For some time now, Winamp saves 2 copies of the active playlist when Winamp is closed (i.e. the winamp.m3u and winamp.m3u8 files in the user's Winamp data folder), so that the same playlist items are loaded (in the same order) when Winamp is restarted later.

Do you close Winamp before you turn off your computer or do you let it get shutdown automatically while the computer is shutting down? Doing this may not allow Winamp enough time to save everything it needs to save during it's shutdown.

Do you have the playlist shuffle mode enabled?

Do you have the Advanced Playback Setting "When loading multiple files, sort files by name" enabled?

Are you using any plug-ins that affect the order of items in the playlist?
        Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
        Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• Dr.Flay
          • Mar 2013

In the "Winamp Performance Pack" available from http://winampenthusiasts.com you will find 2 addons that will help.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	WAE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	4463622

One is an undo system, and the other remembers where you were, and if you were paused or playing.
          My weekly radio show for nerds and wannabe nerds 15% Extra on Source FM every Friday

Comment

• Aminifu
            Forum King
            • Aug 2011

Originally Posted by Dr.Flay View Post
            One is an undo system, and the other remembers where you were, and if you were paused or playing.
            If you are referring to the "Playlist Undo" plug-in for 'undo system' and the "Time Restore & Autoplay" plug-in for 'remembers where you were', then these are 2 of DrO's plug-ins. For those who don't want to use Facebook, they can be downloaded from his website (http://winampplugins.co.uk/plugins.html).

Unfortunately, most of DrO's great plug-ins are no longer available. Some of the features they provided have been added to the native Winamp code and others maybe added going forward.
            Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
            Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

Working...
            X