Old 26th March 2013, 19:10   #1
php111

Creating Winamp playlists by album?

Hey everyone,

I would like to organize my music collection by creating playlists according by albums, so all tracks on that albums as a playlist? For example, not sure how many tracks, but the American Beaut album, I would create a playlist for the American Beauty album, and put all those tracks in the American Beauty playlist? Would that be possible, and would someone please provide step by instructions for doing this?

Thank you,
php111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 23:25   #2
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
PHP, that is currently how I have my music collection set up. You might need to say a little more info about how you currently have everything organized. Currently, does every album have its own folder? Or do you have things scattered everywhere?

The way I have it set up, every album has its own folder. But I ripped everything using Winamp and it does that natively.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 00:01   #3
php111

Hi Juanus,

I have mine the same way which every album has their own folder.
php111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 00:08   #4
Juanus
Major Dude

Unfortunately, Winamp cannot do that for you. However, you might want to try a program called MP3Tag. It's a powerful tag editor that is popular. Once you get the program installed, read this thread on their message boards and that will fix you up.
http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?sh...reate+playlist
Old 29th March 2013, 15:31   #5
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Sounds like a simple task to me.

Select album in Media Library view.
Right click and SEND TO -> NEW PLAYLIST
Name your playlist.

Job done.

Also note: when you rip a CD with Winamp you have the option to create playlists at the same time.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 16:58   #6
Juanus
Major Dude

Thats great if you only have a couple of albums. Imagine doing that for a whole library? Currently, I have almost 700 albums with playlists for each. Luckily I ripped them all with Winamp so it made a playlist at the time.
Old 1st April 2013, 08:22   #7
philgarcia
Banned

I was also facing problem with the same as just started using winamp....but u guys helped! thanks!!
philgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:49   #8
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Still a little vague what some of you want to do. As I know some of you are new, I'll point out another trick that may help.

Have you noticed that you can use the Search to narrow down to one artist and\or album. Then highlight the album itself in the album view window on the right. From here, Right Click and "Enqueue Selection" or "Play Selection" to put that album straight into your currently playing play list.

You can also access the same Send To->Create Playlist menu I mentioned in the post above.
Old 2nd April 2013, 13:32   #9
Juanus
Major Dude

Batter...
I will try to clear it up for you.

Its not about putting song into the playlist. It is about making a playlist (and actual .m3u file) for each album in your library. So that you can click on that playlist and play that specific album. Yes, you can right click a selection of songs and Send To->Create Playlist. But, in my case, imagine having to do that 700 times! Very tedious.

They wanted a way to create a playlist for all of the albums that they own automatically. That way you can double click on an .m3u file and it populates the Winamp playlist with an album so you can hear it from beginning to end.

AFAIK, Winamp is the only program that creates an .m3u playlist when you rip an album. So when people migrate over from other programs and services, seeing that functionality gives people the idea of "I should have this for every album"
Old 2nd April 2013, 13:57   #10
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Looks like people need to learn a bit of scripting then.

I did get at what they were trying to do. What I was trying to show is that there are half steps towards those playlists. Again my answer was based on "Maybe they don't know of these other methods"

Your example of being able to add an album to their current playlist is what I covered just now. The album view in the Media Library does act as a kind of playlist for that whole album. Personally this is how I use Winamp. I play albums in full, but rarely use playlists to achieve this. It is the advantage of a database - the data can be grouped and used in many ways.

Yes, I understand that 700 plus albums can take a while to create 700 playlists. But for now there is no plugin that can do this as far as I am aware. So building up the lists over time is the only way. No one will listen to 700 albums in a single week, so building playlists can be done step by step.

Meanwhile single albums can still be located in their entirety to be played.

Personally I'd create some huge - all in one - playlists and then work with notepad++ to splice these up.

Oh - and FYI - Winamp is not the only program to create playlists when ripping albums. I have been messing with EAC lately and that also creates playlists at rip time.
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:17   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Guys,

DJ Egg has provided info on creating a shortcut playlist for playing the contents of a folder. He is talking about starting this playlist from the command line or a shortcut, but the special playlist can be loaded from within Winamp as well. Look at post #3 in the following thread.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=358299

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion