Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 16th June 2013, 19:49   #401
DrO

what's meant to happen is, the podcast support can still provide it's own downloads view (like it used to do) but if the common ml_downloads is present then it's version will take precedence and be used. from what i can tell the few times i've seen it, there's something with the timing of the checks which can cause both instances to incorrectly appear.

the setting which manages the position is read-only so unless some weird corruption has happened in the ini file, it shouldn't have done as you saw where it changed from one position to the other.

i'll re-check the loading handling to make sure we can better deal with quirks in the loading order i.e. one plug-in loading before it is expected from the other (even though we've generally got a fixed loading order when it comes to the ml plug-ins so they'll appear in the desired order on new installs).

i'm still not able to replicate the prefs window thing with the steps mentioned. which sounds the same as molecular's one about the About dialog (which i've tried to reproduce as well and still no luck to replicate).

only thing i can think off is to take a winamp.exe from the installer before the position saving stuff was introduced and see if the issue still occurs or not with just that for the prefs window (since that's where it's generated by).
Old 16th June 2013, 20:19   #402
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Downloads: weird thing is for something "hard coded" it is now constantly out on it's own instead of tucked in underneath Podcasts.

I have just grabbed yesterday's gen_ml.ini from the Win7 Pro Previous Versions thing and compared before and after install. As I can't spot any obvious difference I guess the setting wasn't stashed in there.

Certainly odd to watch.
Before update - downloads is a sub folder of podcasts.
First run after update - download appears twice. Both on its own and under podcasts (same content listed in both cases)
Second run after update - now it is left on its own on the left.

ARGH!! And what do you know... but that pesky Preferences Dialog is also behaving.

This is bizarre. The various oddities I saw this morning were all during the first run after installation. And now they are behaving!
Old 16th June 2013, 20:29   #403
DrO

i think it's just Winamp trying to make you crazy(ier) than normal

with Winamp stopped, in %appdata%\Winamp\Plugins\gen_ml.ini, add / set podcast_parent=1 in the [gen_ml_config] section and then it should be parented back to the podcast node.

will add a UIoption to control that on preferences -> Media Library -> Tree Options

maybe it is all from after running the installer, though as it's then run on a normal user access (the UAC stuff is from parts being elevated as needed which are then run separately) then there shouldn't be a difference between running just after install and any subsequent runnings, though maybe we're missing something, but i really don't know.
Old 16th June 2013, 20:39   #404
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

This is getting freaky... yes you are right something is trying to confuse me here with some level of possessed electrons.

Loaded up copies of gen_ml.ini from the 14th and 11th June. Can't see that setting in either of them. Quick skim through in notepad++

So added podcast_parent=1 into gen_ml.ini and saved it.

Started Winamp - and it goes into some Reindexing Library message! Never seen that before.

Eh? Now I find TWO sections in here of [gen_ml_config] in the same ini file after exiting Winamp. Probably explains the reindex and why the Media Library appeared in an odd sized window. It can't have liked the previous [gen_ml_config]. Only logical reason I can work out.

Maybe worth splitting these notes of mine into that other thread. I am about to do some experimenting. I must be causing this madness somehow. I think I have a corrupted gen_ml.ini as this is getting bonkers... never seen TWO identical sections in an ini file before!

Edit: Okay... I am dealing with some very possessed electrons here. Each time I close winamp. Swapped back in the gen_ml.ini from two days ago. Then started Winamp - it would reindex and reset everything. (I thought it was my editing of it... but it wasn't that. Just the old file)

To get this as I want... I closed Winamp then copied the values from under the OLD [gen_ml_config] section at the top down to replace the new settings in the newly created [gen_ml_config] section at the bottom. Added podcast_parent=1 and then saved this new, clean gen_ml.ini

And now it all behaves correctly with less madness. Have attached the "odd" gen_ml.ini to this post in case you want a look at it. I'm going to turn off this PC and drink some beer and find a film to watch...
Attached Files
File Type: txt gen_ml - b4.ini.txt (2.9 KB, 172 views)
Old 17th June 2013, 00:32   #405
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by molecular View Post
And, please window do "About" over main form Winamp or on top of all window. This will be very convenient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
I'm not following the point about the About dialog as that's what it already does on first display before it now reappears in its last position.
having re-looked at what was said, this is working as expected for classic skins and any modern skin with multiple windows (so not Bento) as the dialog is parented to the 'main' window but that does not mean it'll keep it above other windows. this also applies to other dialogs e.g. preferences when you click away to part of the media library, etc.

sure we could try to do something about it (circumventing normal behaviour of the Windows window manager) or force certain styles but we then get into a state where we can overlap unrelated windows e.g. other programs when it shouldn't and that's even worse.

if you open the About dialog and then have to go to another view, move it to a part of the screen where it won't overlap is my only suggestion. and i had seen this when i tried earlier, but since it was working as it has always worked, i didn't interpret it as what was trying to be described.
Old 17th June 2013, 00:36   #406
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
molecular: will look into the about window thing though do you have always on top enabled. also a full plug-ins list from koopa's info tool is what I meant than taking screenshots of the pages.

cue support is on the wish list but no one wanted it badly enough when I offered to do it for a small charge in 2010 so it's not been considered since. maybe that will be looked at again as something to add post 5.7.

Batter Pudding:
not quite following the second part though will see what I can replicate when I'm not doing replies on the phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
The second issue is easier that I described.

1\ Open Winamp and select a Classic Skin.
2\ Select the Online Services or Winamp Add-Ons
3\ Open Preferences (CTRL+P or Right Click menu)
4\ Preferences now BEHIND the main winamp windows and cannot be accessed.

This feels like something in that browser type window is insisting on being on-top.
I've been using the Bento skin for quite a while now (and Winamp Modern before it), so I'm not sure how long it's been like this.

Prefs & About dialogs only stay on top of the main window,
which is why it appears to be always on top with the Bento SUI skin,
but they will disappear under the classic Playlist, EQ, Viz & ML windows.

I assume it's been like this for quite some time
so is probably expected behaviour.

You'll also notice it more now (with classic skins) when you move the dialog, because those dialogs used to always open in the same position in the top left corner of the main window...

[edit] Ahh, Dro beat me to it by a few minutes, lol [/edit]

@DrO
How much were you looking at? I'm willing to pay you a reasonable fee right now to get native cue support :-)
Old 17th June 2013, 11:09   #407
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Little update...

Ignore my "Podcast Downloads Folder" issues. Am pretty sure now that some kind of corruption had got into gen_ml.ini or something. Or just possessed electrons.

BUT... the Preferences Dialog is certainly misbehaving when I am looking at Online Services or Winamp Add-ons. USING A CLASSIC SKIN.

I understand that the classic skin allows every window to be totally independent. Each moving in it's own right. Each one coming to the front of the Z-Order when clicked on. Which is REALLY handy when trying to organise the screen space.

Trouble is there is something different about the web page based Online Services and Winamp Add-On pages. My guess is that something is constantly refreshing on the page.

This is a Classic skin. I open the Preferences page. Now as I swap among the sections on the left hand side, the Preferences pages obviously dip below the stack of pages. Any time I click on the visible edge of it, the preferences page jumps back front again.

UNLESS I am on the Online Services or Winamp Add-ons sections. Now every time I click on that Preferences Dialog the main Media Library Window keeps jumping back on top. It is insisting on staying on top in such a way I cannot access the Preferences dialog at all - unless I drag it alongside the Media Library window.

-=-=-

As a test, I swapped to Big Bento. No issue there. So I swap back to my Classic Skin - and the issue has now gone away. The Preferences dialog will sit on top of any window again.

No logic or pattern to this yet. I even tried to exit Winamp and restart with my Classic Skin - and of course it is all working fine now.

It is so daft. Almost as if the "first run of the day" is the one that gets upset. Maybe the electrons sulk overnight when it is not being used? Sleepy pixels?

Bonkers really. Don't spend time on this as it is not a show stopping crasher - just odd. If I can get a method to reliably repeat this issue, I'll let you guys know.
Old 18th June 2013, 12:05   #408
molecular

DrO, Full list plugins
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winamp_list_plugins.png
Views:	258
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	50620  
Old 18th June 2013, 12:28   #409
DrO

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins is what was wanted rather than screenshots (since the tool provides everything needed and is in the sticky threads).

oh well, no need to bother with that now. the screenshot shows you've a number of 3rd party input plug-ins. is unlikely they're doing anything which should delay Winamp closing but i'd try removing _any_ input plug-in which is not showing as 'Nullsoft' at the start of the plug-in name shown.

though it could also be something to do with the size of your library, what view you have open at the time, the size of the main playlist editor (if it's very large then when that's re-saved on exit, it could be hindering things).
Old 18th June 2013, 18:48   #410
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by molecular View Post
DrO, Full list plugins
you could also try "safe mode"

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 19th June 2013, 08:42   #411
molecular

Dro, because of the plugin "gen_crasher.dll" OS long off. I think, it`s normal. And i know, this plugin willn`t be in stable version.

I don`t want uninstall plugin. If i find the bug in the programm, i can create report.

I`m using Windows 8 x64.

PS: Sorry for my bad english.
Old 19th June 2013, 09:09   #412
DrO

that shouldn't be doing anything on exit unless there is a crash which might be happening due to the 3rd party input plug-ins you appear to have installed. hence my recommendation to disable them (move out of the plug-ins folder) and see if that makes a difference (or run in safe mode).

I have made a change for the next build to attempt to only save the copy of the main playlist if there was a detected change to it instead every time you close Winamp which for large playlists saves a few MB of data having to be written out on close (which could be slow on system exit).
Old 19th June 2013, 09:29   #413
molecular

DrO, i deleted other plugins, but "Error feedback" don`t uninstalled. Windows still waiting and can`t be turned off because the Winamp.

Another installed of plugins:
"gen_jumpex.dll" (I tried work without it, the same problem)
It all.

---

I can`t choose other soundtrack in MKV-files. When you play a video has brakes (MKV 11MBit). In the other video-players this isn`t observed.
Not all video-files are played.
I understand, Winamp not for video, but why did support video?

It the best for music!

My configuration:
Intel Core-i3 2130 3.4GHz
nVidia GT440 DDR3 2Gb
RAM 8Gb DDR3
ASUS P8P67M-Pro
My screen resolution: FullHD (1920x1080)

PS: Well that developers optimize Winamp)
Old 19th June 2013, 09:36   #414
DrO

/me bangs head on desk

i said only to remove the input plug-ins (or use safe mode), nothing else.

gen_jumpex.dll is a plug-in by me that's been shipped with Winamp since February 2004.

people wanted video support and so it was added in v2.9 but is true it's never been great but to be a media player, you have to support video. and most of the issues come from not having the codec support to do it (which can often be resolved by installing the codecs (and only the codecs) from the Essentials Pack or using 'Pro' for the H.264 support (which is like that due to licensing).

without an example to check to see what is going on, there's little i can advise.

and i'm going to move your posts into their own thread in the next few hours as we're going off topic for this thread.

and i don't get what you mean by your p.s. comment.
Old 19th June 2013, 09:45   #415
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Possessed pixies are back... this morning greeting me with two Downloads folders underneath the Podcast Directory. Yep - a variation on a theme this time. Those same possessed pixies don't like the Online Services and Preferences as that bug where the Preferences goes behind the main screen shows up at the same time.

In the last day or so I think I have seen this bug pop-up once in about six starts of the program. No clear pattern yet. I know if I now close Winamp, turn around three times, stand on my head, then restart Winamp the problems will have gone.

I am going to seek out Father Merrin see if I can get these possessed electrons some peace...
Old 19th June 2013, 18:01   #416
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Winamp 5.64 Released

New 5.7 Beta build to follow shortly

Will edit & update this thread accordingly....
Old 19th June 2013, 22:12   #417
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Essentials Pack 5.7 Beta 3 is available, same changelog like for the brand new 5.64, only the minimal required Winamp version differs and the build/version number differs for now.

I have updated the download link and the posting on the first page of this thread.

-Chris
Old 19th June 2013, 22:14   #418
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Winamp 5.7 Beta 9, build 3402 to 3416 changelog

* New: XSPF playlist support (read only support, write support to follow)
- (adds: Winamp\System\xspf.w5s - an updated version of the one available on forum)

* Fixed: Not playing the first song next when clearing then adding items to playlist
- (a ~15yr old bug/issue finally bites the dust!)

* Fixed: [Bento Browser] Potential security vulnerabilities (thanks Julien Ahrens, inshell.net)

* Fixed: [gen_jumpex] Potential security vulnerabilities (thanks Julien Ahrens, inshell.net)

- Fixed classic EQ flashing onscreen at Winamp startup when using a modern skin

- Installer now removes gen_crasher so it's not present in final builds
- (i.e. beta & final installers both remove it first, but only the beta build then installs it after)

- Don't save winamp.m3u(8) on exit if no changes have been made to active playlist

- Added version info for DLLs (nsutil, tataki, zlib, libmp4v2, nde, libflac, etc)

- Added version info to w5s components

- [gen_ml / ml_downloads] Added option to group Downloads node under Podcasts (Prefs > Media Library > Tree Options tab)

- [ml_history] Added error message to "reset database" on corruption (same behaviour as ml_local)

- [ml_disc] Fixed sending songs to burner (was broken in last few builds); Plus other misc tweaks/fixes

- [ml_pmp] Fixed "All" setting not being remembered in Prefs > Portables > (device) > Podcast Sync tab > Sync > most recent episodes of *

- [ml_rg] Fixed: Cancel button & not saving position of results dialog in all scenarios

- [gen_crasher] Tweak to help keep the crash dialog above crashed Winamp instance

- [nde] Fixed a rare mem leak; plus a possible fix for random wiping of db files...

- Various crash fixes from crash reports

- Various other misc tweaks/fixes/etc.

* Winamp 5.7 beta only (not in 5.64 final - sorry, the reminder & fix came too late)

What with the release of 5.64, I wasn't sure what to do with this thread at first,
but have decided it's best to preserve everything and just edit the first post accordingly (i.e. with the 5.64 & 5.7 changelogs).

The only real difference between this new 5.7 beta build and 5.64 is the presence of the Cloud components (ml_cloud / pmp_cloud cloud.w6c), and of course, beta-only features, such as the Error Reporter / gen_crasher.

Obviously, we needed to put out a new release, mainly for the security fixes.

A big thank you to all beta testers who have helped us to get the 5.64 release out.

We will continue posting 5.7 beta builds here, as before.
Old 19th June 2013, 22:33   #419
MrSinatra
Forum King

wow, some intriguing bits there. is all that in 5.64 too, except of course the cloud stuff?

what was the nde fix?

I don't understand about crasher, on one line you say its removed on another you suggest its still there?

thx for the history fix! I saw that EQ bug too (using bento) just hadn't reported it yet, glad to see it fixed as well.

gonna try it out right now!

PROBLEM: your DL link is still to 3402!!!

--
Old 19th June 2013, 22:39   #420
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

@MrSinatra, the same happened to me, when I wanted to download the Winamp 5.7 Beta 9 build 3416 in Google Chrome. Suddenly I had the previous build...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Old 19th June 2013, 22:43   #421
DrO

link fixed in first post
Old 19th June 2013, 22:53   #422
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
I don't understand about crasher, on one line you say its removed on another you suggest its still there?[/B]
gen_crasher will be disabled for final builds and is only available in beta builds.

So for 5.7 it is present and for 5.64 final it's disabled (deleted).
Old 19th June 2013, 23:01   #423
MrSinatra
Forum King

first bug I notice:

I have a few files I recently downloaded in a folder, and shown on a smartview. they all have proper tags, etc. I arrange by albumartist sort.

I play a song in the middle of the pack, with random/shuffle off. song plays, ends, and then instead of the next song playing, it goes all the way to the first song! meaning, the first song in both the smartview and the playlist!

anyone else?

--
Old 20th June 2013, 02:02   #424
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Sorry about the download link. Thanks DrO for fixing it.
For future ref, the download link is always available on Winamp Labs.

I've also edited the "build 3402 to 3416 changelog" 2 or 3 times since first posting it (I'm renowned for my editing, lol).

There's one [ml_pmp] entry been added, which is in 5.7 beta 3416, but not in 5.64 (build 3415)

Everything else in that log is in 5.64.
I've edited the gen_crasher entry to hopefully explain it a bit more.
Basically, the installers for final builds weren't deleting it before, but they do now.

@MrSinatra
That sounds like it could be something related to the "Not playing the first song next when clearing then adding items to playlist" bug fix.
Please could you do a step-by-step method of reproduction, and then we'll take another look at it tomorrow.
Old 20th June 2013, 02:24   #425
lostinsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
@MrSinatra
That sounds like it could be something related to the "Not playing the first song next when clearing then adding items to playlist" bug fix.
Please could you do a step-by-step method of reproduction, and then we'll take another look at it tomorrow.
I posted the same bug in the 5.64 bug report thread with steps to reproduce.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=364301
Old 20th June 2013, 04:01   #426
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
For future ref, the download link is always available on Winamp Labs.
gtk.

Quote:
@MrSinatra
I posted in the other thread. my exp is slightly different from lostinsounds, (possibly b/c I use 5.7, possibly b/c he didn't do things exactly like me), but I don't think you'll have trouble reproducing either way. (let me know tho if u do) thx.

--
Old 20th June 2013, 18:10   #427
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Build 3417 is now up

Changes since 3416...

- Fixed the ^reported^ bug caused by the "Not playing the first song next..." fix

- [ml_playlists] Fixed reported scrollbar weirdness when using a lang pack

- [ml_playlists] Fixed some instances of Cloud column showing when no Cloud components are present

We will also be running a replacement 5.64 final build which should hopefully be available in a couple of hours or so*
It will include all of the above fixes, plus the [ml_pmp] one from beta build 3415.

Thanks!

[Edit] * Looks like it will be some time tomorrow now. Sorry [/Edit]
Old 20th June 2013, 19:51   #428
MrSinatra
Forum King

so far so good, my bug appears fixed!

--
Old 21st June 2013, 00:03   #429
djpete
Major Dude

A small request. If a person decides to NOT install Cloud Plugin the Winamp Labs name still appears (In classic skin at least). Is it possible that this will also be removed to keep the look clean? Keep up the great work.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 21st June 2013, 00:10   #430
DrO

the 'Winamp Labs' node is there irrespective of the Cloud functionality. it is there to remind people that a) it's a non-final build and b) is eventually intended to be more functional than it currently is (indicating a newer version / info about updates for example).

so you can blame me directly for it but it was better than the alternatives which could have been.
Old 21st June 2013, 00:13   #431
djpete
Major Dude

Appreciate the explanation. Thanks DrO.
PS Thanks for the f6 search highlight text fix. Works great.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 21st June 2013, 00:17   #432
DrO

heh, had forgotten about that (made to many changes). glad it's working in a more usable manner now for you.
Old 21st June 2013, 03:55   #433
MrSinatra
Forum King

djpete,

why not just use 5.64 if you aren't using the cloud?

--
Old 21st June 2013, 04:24   #434
djpete
Major Dude

MrSinatra, I am (And just upgraded the 5.64 too) but also have the Beta as I just have to know the latest advances. :-)

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 22nd June 2013, 04:14   #435
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi All,

Even though the new Cloud feature is still in beta and participation is by invitation only, it is starting to get world-wide advertising.

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/06/20/win...n-latest-beta/

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Old 22nd June 2013, 06:04   #436
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

And I just want to say, the new Cloud feature is very great, I never want to miss that anymore. I think, the new Cloud feature will have a very good future. I want to give my ★★★★★ for Winamp Cloud...
But please don't forget to embed the album art into Your MP3-files with "Mp3tag" before You upload these files, with embedded album art they will look much better in Winamp Cloud, especially in Google Chrome...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:47   #437
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine Klare View Post
But please don't forget to embed the album art into Your MP3-files with "Mp3tag" before You upload these files, with embedded album art they will look much better in Winamp Cloud, especially in Google Chrome...
Mp3tag does a good job of finding and embedding album art.

You can also use "albumartexchange.com" to locate great images of various resolutions and use Winamp with thinktink's great w5s plug-in (link below) to embed them. I suggest at least a 600x600 resolution if you intend to display album art at half to full screen size. Of course this resolution looks very sharp and clear displayed at any smaller size.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=357457

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:52   #438
DrO

embedding of artwork before doing things with the Cloud shouldn't be needed in a later iteration of things.
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:56   #439
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
embedding of artwork before doing things with the Cloud shouldn't be needed in a later iteration of things.
Good news for those that prefer folder based art!

Old 22nd June 2013, 10:03   #440
DrO

and for clients which are not able to natively get artwork e.g. when streaming on other devices. it'll all get there, just expect a beta / labs build for a while :-)
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion