Looking for alternatives to link to info about currently playing track. thx
C

Win7x64, 8GB RAM, Winamp Pro 5.666 b3516
Android: Winamp Pro 1.4.15
omaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 23:34   #2
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

I never used it, but I think the best alternative you can have right now is the "Reader" feature in the cPro skins, have you heard of it? Using the integrated browser, the Reader will show you lyrics, albums covers, the youtube video, a google search or the wiki page related to the currently playing song.
I think you'll like it better than the Now Playing feature.. but you'll have to leave the default Winamp skin first.. =/
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 11:56   #3
kissds

I have not used this feature - it is definitely useful?
kissds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 07:07   #4
Dr.Flay

Send a message via ICQ to Dr.Flay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr.Flay
I use the Last.fm widget, as I try and connect everything to it and Winamp is supported as standard
http://www.last.fm/tools/charts
This is the basic template

Edited templates

I'm not sure why it has not already been chosen as the default due to the wide usage, and API.
Dr.Flay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 09:59   #5
Dr.Flay

After poking around the chart system, I see it cannot display the current track at all.
Simply using your Last.FM profile solves it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	LastAMP.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	51821

My weekly radio show for nerds and wannabe nerds 15% Extra on Source FM every Friday
Old 7th June 2015, 13:14   #6
DrO

unless the page interacts with the API that Winamp provides, then it's not going to interact with Winamp.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 01:00   #7
Dr.Flay

true it does not use winamps api, but any tracks you play are shown and any in their system can be clicked on to play in the same window, or even watch the video.
Winamp could have made use of the api directly, but I am happy to use the scrobbler app.

Possibly there is a url that will just show the full details of the playing track like you see in the scrobbler, but I haven't found it.
The rss feed does not work in the media lib online window.

Most of the sections generate rss feeds so Winamp could also use these to actually stream the dowloadable tracks.
I have several rss feeds of the free downloads, but obviously as podcasts.

6 of 1, half a dozem of the othet.
By using the last.fm api I can see my music being played on my android and other devices and websites.

My weekly radio show for nerds and wannabe nerds 15% Extra on Source FM every Friday
Old 9th June 2015, 23:01   #8
Dr.Flay

I am not sure how I missed it but just add "/now" after your user name.
http://www.last.fm/user/Dr-Flay/now
Click image for larger version

Name:	PlayNow.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	51833

This is very limited, but then again I have no idea what use another proprietary "Now playing service" is to the Winamp user, when they could be using Last.fm which will outlive anything Winamp has had.
If it showed the info you see in the Last.fm scrobbler then it would be very useful to the user and more like the Winamp service.
NOTE: You can click on the artist or track name, so the full info can be revealed.

Unlike the Winamp service, all of the window is available for use, not half filled with adverts (or empty boxes for me).
The heavy use of adverts was why I very happily ignored the Now Playing Service. It did not seem to be for my benefit, but rather for AOL and partners.

I would have thought that making a Last.fm plugin would be easier, quicker, more sustainable and sensible than a totally custom plugin and service.
Doing it your own way has advantages, but unless you can keep the service running it is doomed to a short life.

By using Last.fm as my Now Playing service, I can see if the track is also available on spotify, Deezer or other connected music service. I can also buy the track or album from any of the connected retail outlets, and easily compare the prices without leaving the Last.fm page.

All in all, even though it is not truly integrated, or using the Winamp API, it beats it in every other way.
....Primarily at the moment because it is there and working

Old 27th June 2015, 16:54   #9
trekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Flay View Post
I use the Last.fm widget, as I try and connect everything to it and Winamp is supported as standard
http://www.last.fm/tools/charts
This is the basic template

Edited templates

I'm not sure why it has not already been chosen as the default due to the wide usage, and API.
I not as tech savvy as most of you. Ive downloaded this and its on my computer for use. Its open now. I dont play a lot of CD on my computer. I would say 95%+ of the music I listen to online thru Winamp is internet radio stations. I cant figure it out because its not showing the song playing now, so can you tell me will it show the tracks my internet radio station is playing? Or is this just for CD's? Thanks.

trekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 16:58   #10
Dr.Flay

Unfortunately Winamp does not scrobble streaming tracks, only local files
I am not sure if this is the fault of the official scrobbler or Winamp.
Using Last.fm does give you the option to use almost any player and scrobbler.

A couple of other options that also allow more functionality, but are not quite what you want.
http://00laboratories.com/index.php/...s/dl-hrequest/
http://ajaxamp.com

Old 29th June 2015, 17:17   #11
DrO

Winamp was never allowed to scrobble streams when I used to use the service. so unless they've changed the rules in the however many years since then (even though trying to work it out from Winamp when streaming is not the simplest of actions), then I wouldn't expect the standalone plug-ins to do it either.
Old 29th June 2015, 19:32   #12
trekman

Ok, thanks guys. I appreciate the answers. Its too bad it the scrobble was never an option. Maybe in the NEW Winamp, something will work out? Thanks again. I appreciate the help.

trekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 19:48   #13
DrO

you don't need a "new" Winamp, just a new 3rd party scrobbler plug-in (which there's been a few floating around over the years).
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion