Old 23rd October 2010, 16:45   #1
subliminalurge

Please use the "Music" folder!

I've noticed that there is no option in Settings to specify which folders on the SD card Winamp uses. This causes two very frustrating problems:

First: When it synchronizes music, it clutters up my root directory with artist folders. I use my phone for several purposes, it's not "just" a music player. This clutter gets to be a pain in the butt when I need to locate a file on my SD card, for instance if I need to email my resume to someone on short notice. For example, the other day I had to email out a copy of my resume on short notice. All that extra clutter in the root directory made it take MUCH longer than it should have to scroll down to the folder that I keep it in. Not the end of the world, I did get the email sent, but it's enough of an annoyance to make me use a different music player.

Second: I store my music in the "Music" folder. Winamp searches for music files across the entire SD card. This creates annoying clutter when selecting music to play. I want my music to show up in my music player. I want my audio books to show up in my audio book player. And I don't want my ring tones showing up in either one. Currently the Winamp interface is extremely cluttered with audio books and ring tone files.

Both of these problems could be easily fixed by simply allowing us to select which folder on the card Winamp looks at. Even for beta software, this is a common sense UI feature. Leaving it out make the app seem very "amateur hour".....

Last edited by subliminalurge; 23rd October 2010 at 19:13.
subliminalurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 18:26   #2
JunBringer

I'll second that, especially the ringtones part.
JunBringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 22:42   #3
bryn987

I can't get winamp to find any of my music. Do I need to point it to a directory?
bryn987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 00:31   #4
customyota

I agree with that. Also, it would be nice to be able to ignore any directory that is not specified. When I try to sync, there are system notifications that are brought to my pc library along with any mp3s. I would prefer not to have ringtones and boot up sounds in my winamp library.
customyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 13:31   #5
DocMAX

you can simply add a file ".nomedia" into the directory, which sould not be scanned. winamp uses the media server (like many other players).

but i second that: please let us choose where winamp should put the music files.
right now for syncing music mediamonkey is the best choice.

winamp needs more work to do!
DocMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 19:13   #6
customyota

When you say a file, I assume that you mean just add an empty folder and name it .nomedia, is that correct? Also, I thought that doing so would prevent android from looking in that directory for ringtones, etc.
Old 24th October 2010, 19:15   #7
customyota

Nevermind, I found it.
Old 24th October 2010, 21:29   #8
bigvikesfan

Add me to the list for a Music folder setting

I agree that WinAmp on the Android OS needs a setting to point the the folder to which it sync's
bigvikesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 17:21   #9
tarphoun

I would also prefer if the wifi sync would put the artist folders inside a Music folder in the root. Or a "winamp library" folder. Just please NOT all messed up like that in the root of the SD card.
tarphoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 20:34   #10
Conz

This should be a priority ... I had a WTF moment when i looked at my sdcard after syncing some songs.
Conz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 10:41   #11
XebozZ

major annoyance. i think - next to not being able to create playlists and deleting files remotely - this is one of the most important issues right now.
XebozZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 11:51   #12
DrO

it's known about so hopefully they'll add support for it as you can't expect it to be perfect with the first version. patience people.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 01:19   #13
AndyCr15

If it's known, why was it released with such a bug? Very, very basic mistake I would say.

This is enough to make me move on and try another player, it's made a mess of my SD card that's gonna take some time to fix... and if I try and use it again, I guess it'll just make a nice mess over my card again...

"Yeah, it wipes your device, but a fix is in the works, so don't worry about it..."
AndyCr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 20:18   #14
rkilljoy

I think this is one of the first thing winamp should fix. It sounds like everyone agree's that it should sync to the music folder on the sd card not just to the sd card. I don't have no problem though with the app seeing my ringtones like everyone else says. Try going to settings/searchable item/searchable items, and make sure just music is checked.
rkilljoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 06:05   #15
Ceazar77

+1 select music folder

I agree that this should be top of the list of things to implement. If it would be less work, I could make do with being able to remove items from the 'songs' list (like all the audio files for games) until a real fix is released.
Ceazar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 13:56   #16
Nobody 005

Upvote

+1 for using a root folder to store sync'd music.
Old 1st November 2010, 14:36   #17
kustodian

When you connect your phone via USB you can setup where is your music folder, but for wifi there is not option like that and it should get fixed.

Also, this is not a bug of Winamp for Android, but desktop Winamp, so it would probably be better to report it in a different forum.
kustodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 16:33   #18
captainnapalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustodian View Post
When you connect your phone via USB you can setup where is your music folder, but for wifi there is not option like that and it should get fixed.

Also, this is not a bug of Winamp for Android, but desktop Winamp, so it would probably be better to report it in a different forum.
I've actually tried putting that type of comment in the Winamp 5.59 Beta thread in another forum, and the moderators moved it to this forum.
captainnapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 04:37   #19
xoltrix2000

OH YES PLEASE! I can't stand the clutter on the root folder, need to set a destination folder. I'd love to use Winamp sync, but I can't until this BUG is fixed!.
xoltrix2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 09:28   #20
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
it's known about so hopefully they'll add support for it as you can't expect it to be perfect with the first version. patience people.
-daz
Old 2nd November 2010, 10:57   #21
ninereeds

another vote

Yes, I also want the option to choose where to sync it.

But, it's a good start!

Well done.
ninereeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:14   #22
captainnapalm

I mentioned this in another thread, but wanted to mention it here for those who have used USB sync (where there is the option to specify where to sync the music to).

Has anyone else noticed that by using the USB sync they lose their embedded album art?
Old 2nd November 2010, 20:08   #23
kustodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainnapalm View Post
I mentioned this in another thread, but wanted to mention it here for those who have used USB sync (where there is the option to specify where to sync the music to).

Has anyone else noticed that by using the USB sync they lose their embedded album art?
That is a bug and I hope they fix that. If Winamp transcodes the audio before transferring the files, it doesn't copy the embedded cover art into the ID3 tag of transcoded files. That is the reason I don't use Winamp for syncing yet :/
Old 2nd November 2010, 22:00   #24
punguy

I figured out a work around. You can manually set where winamp will sync files.

With your Android device connected and recognized by winamp:
Preferences --> Media Library --> Portables --> Android Device:

Under the advanced tab put music\ between the drive letter and the <artist name> element in the file name format box. Like so:

G:\<Artist>\<Album>\## - <Title> --> G:\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\## - <Title>

That's how I did it, it works with USB sync, I haven't tried it using wifi. A more intuitive way would be nice though.
punguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:31   #25
captainnapalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by punguy View Post

Under the advanced tab put music\ between the drive letter and the <artist name> element in the file name format box. Like so:

That's how I did it, it works with USB sync, I haven't tried it using wifi. A more intuitive way would be nice though.
Yes, this does work, however you may note the comment 2 above yours which states that this method seems to erase the embedded cover art.
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:34   #26
kustodian

Quote:
Yes, this does work, however you may note the comment 2 above yours which states that this method seems to erase the embedded cover art.
I don't think the path is the problem with cover art, but I'm not sure.
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:42   #27
punguy

Quote:
Ah, I didn't see that. You can restore the album art manually though, since you can save it as a seperate file then restore it to the mp3's on the device. I don't really care about album art though, as long as my id3 tags are current.
punguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 00:11   #28
kustodian

Quote:
Ah, I didn't see that. You can restore the album art manually though, since you can save it as a seperate file then restore it to the mp3's on the device. I don't really care about album art though, as long as my id3 tags are current.
That's a pain in the ass to do for every file I send to my phone It should get fixed in the next version.
Old 4th November 2010, 02:49   #29
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Everything reported in this thread has been addressed/fixed for the next release.

DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 02:52   #30
kustodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Everything reported in this thread has been addressed/fixed for the next release.

Awesome
Old 4th November 2010, 11:59   #31
RobFreundlich

Quote:

I don't have an Advanced tab there - are you talking about the "Copy to local media filenames" section?
RobFreundlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 12:07   #32
kustodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFreundlich View Post
I don't have an Advanced tab there - are you talking about the "Copy to local media filenames" section?
You have to use USB Sync to have an advanced tab. Wifi doesn't have it.
Old 4th November 2010, 12:51   #33
RobFreundlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustodian View Post
You have to use USB Sync to have an advanced tab. Wifi doesn't have it.
Thanks. I guess I'll stick with USB sync until the WiFi issues are worked out.
RobFreundlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 20:43   #34
antihero.

I just synced via WiFi and bam, SDCard filled with folders. Goddamn.
antihero. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 15:30   #35
DrO

does no one bother to read earlier posts?? it is going to be changed for the next build from what i'm aware off as myself and DJ Egg have indicated. though there's no eta on when that will happen.

-daz
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:07   #36
MaximilianPs

Up Up !
Winamp WiFi sync should use the Music folder as default drop position !
At least, an option that permit to specify where, in the SD it drop the music.
MaximilianPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 21:43   #37
AndyCr15

Has this been fixed now?

Thanks.
AndyCr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 08:08   #38
tekkitan

Yes, please let us know if this has been fixed. I am holding off on using Winamp on my Nexus S for this reason.
tekkitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 05:10   #39
yeldarb1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post

so um...when exactly will this "new" release be? it's been almost 2 years since you said it would be addressed, and it's still an issue.

Incidentally, I wouldn't care, except for some reason winamp for android also keeps messing up my playlists, and im getting really tired of having to keep remaking my playlist, that's actually why i signed up for an account...in the hopes of figuring out why it keeps messing up my darn playlists...
yeldarb1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android