Old 11th January 2005, 07:37   #1
badmofo666

Winamp Only Launches IE?

I just downloaded Winamp 5.08 and I really like it.(last time I used winamp I think it was 1.0). Anyways when you click the links in the info window or now playing window, it always launches internet explorer. Internet Explorer really creeps me out. Is there anyway to have it launch Firefox instead?
badmofo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2005, 07:54   #2
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Nope.

The built in browser uses the Internet Explorer controls built into Windows. If you click a link in Interent Explorer, it opens in Internet Explorer, regardless of your default browser.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 05:19   #3
JoeHippy

Send a message via AIM to JoeHippy
Is this something that can be fixed??? How about disabled??? I would hate to think that a vulnerability in internet explorer would affect winamp in anyway. This type of functionality I would prefer to be without.

If a call is made for a html document, it should go to the system default html handler...
JoeHippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 05:20   #4
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by drewbar
Nope.

The built in browser uses the Internet Explorer controls built into Windows. If you click a link in Interent Explorer, it opens in Internet Explorer, regardless of your default browser.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 05:41   #5
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
@ JoeHippy...

If you're that concerned with IE security issues then...

CTRL+P for Winamp Preferences > General Preferences > Media Library > Library Options tab > Now Playing options > CHECKmark "Do not allow web content to execute or download Java/Javascript scripts and ActiveX controls"

If you're still all that concerned/paranoid, even though this setting is disabled by default, you can also CHECKmark 'Do not allow media to automatically switch to "Now Playing"'

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 22:21   #6
JoeHippy

Send a message via AIM to JoeHippy
Well YES, I am concerned with IE security, especially how a flaw in it can affect so many other unrelated programs.

I would rather find the selection Preferences > General Preferences > Mini-browser (use system default)

But I must be the only one....
JoeHippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 23:00   #7
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Well, you are not the only one who wants that. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Matter of fact I and many many others do too. My preferred browser is Firefox, and I would like to be able to use that.
Quote:
But I must be the only one....
Nope. As I said, you certainly are not. What you are asking for has been requested about a bizillion times already in the Wishlist forum...

Question: Can you change this?
Answer: There is no changing the default browser used in the Now Playing (AKA minibrowser) section of the ML. It's hard-coded into Winamp and there are no Nullsoft coders left to change it anyway. It's been asked for many times in the past.

So there is no way in hell that anybody is ever gonna recode the Winamp app to change this, and Winamp would have to be recoded from scratch in order to do so AFAIK. Practically every Nullsoft coder capable of making this kind of change is gone, and even the 3rd-party developers (we have lots of great ones here, including DrO and Shane among others) cannot delve into the inner workings of Winamp to do so.

So, you can either do what I referenced for you in my post above, or not. It's entirely your decision.
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2005, 14:22   #8
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

The main issue is that to date, the mozilla foundation have not reached their goal of having a seperate gecko runtime installed on the machine which all gecko applications can use.

So for example, if you install firefox, thunderbird and mozilla suite, you end up with three copies of GRE installed on your machine.

Unfortunately, this seems unlikely to change soon. Gecko still undergoes api changes, that mean that each application distribution needs to contain the GRE it was developed for. Of course, what this means is that GRE cannot be assumed to be a system available resource.

There are methods out there to utilize GRE as a webcontrol but they arent really an ideal solution.

Once things are more concrete with regards to GRE, im sure that applications, winamp included, will offer the ability to select the rendering engine desired.

I'm no doubt sure that the guys over at MoFo will tell me otherwise, and I dont claim to be an expert in their technology, but to me, the only way to provide a proper solution right now would be to bundle GRE with winamp.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support