but seeing as it's SC related (sorta)
I'll post it here...

I've been using the neet-O
Cover&TAG Plug-in by J. Richter
his home page here:
http://www.angelfire.com/blog/richter

And a brief description by the author
of what this plug-in does:
"The Cover & TAG plugin reuses the Winamp Video window. There is no more a separate window. This has many advantages. It automatically has the right (custom) skin and I like the use model. It can be included in the main window and switched between the visualization window and the video window (which displayes the cover and TAG). Or, it can be displayed in a separate window like in the previous versions of the plugin.
So while playing music the video window becomes meaningful!"

I think it's one of the coolest
show album art plug-in's for Winamp
currently out there..

I've tried to contact the author with this question but no response so far...perhaps someone will know if this is
do-able or not..

Anyway..my question..

I would like to be able to link the album art displayed in
Cover&TAG while a song is playing... over to my station home page somehow....
maybe by using a I-Frame or something like that...

If anyone else uses this plug-in and/or is familiar with "grabbing" this info. from the plug-in and linking it over to a web page I'd love to hear from ya..

I'll keep trying to contact the author...but I thought I'd put this out there for ideas or suggestions on how to accomplish this...if even possible..

Thanks..

G.
GHOSTRADIONET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2005, 15:48   #2
GHOSTRADIONET
Banned

Bump..

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on this topic...

I'm still looking for a way to link over the album art of
the currently playing song to a web page..

(I know that the SAM-3 offers something like this,
but I ain't payin 300 bucks for software to do this....
that I can probably get for free somewhere)

Thanks...

G.
Old 14th September 2005, 15:18   #3
dcgames

Hey G,

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but I went and downloaded the plugin for Winamp. You're right, it totally rocks .... that is, if I can figure out how it works?

The visualization window is now attached to Winamp (I never opened it before so I don't know if it was unattached), but all that shows up there are funky visualizations. I believe it has to be configured.

Do you know how to configure the plugin? There was zilch for instructions on that guy's site.

Thanks.

- dc
dcgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2005, 18:12   #4
GHOSTRADIONET
Banned

It's been a while since I installed this.. but as I recall
once installed.. go to winamp preferances...under General purpose plug-ins, look for
Cover & TAG v3.2.1 [Gen_Cover.dll]
hilite and click configure plug in..
on the config dialog all that I have checked is

Don't enlarge the cover and
Picture path(if no cover available)
and that was it for the config..

Then.. to add to the cover art included with each MP3 file...I downloaded cover art for each artist off the web using various methods....usually google image search...most all are .jpg's and dropped them into each artists folder ..cover&TAG searches for existing album art within the playing MP3 and whatever else is in that specific artists folder and cycles through the covers present..
There is a text file included with the plug-in titled gen_cover (should be in your plug-ins folder) that elaborates a little on this..

hope this helps..

[edit]I almost forgot the most important part...cover&TAG uses the Video window to show the covers...not the vizualization window..
(Winamp Menu, checkmark Video or Alt+V to bring that up)

G.
Old 14th September 2005, 18:35   #5
dcgames

G, thanks. That helped some. The cover/tag plugin has a lot more options to configure than the ones you mentioned. Mine was already configured like you said (plus some other ones were checked). I opened the gen_cover file, but that was Greek to me also.

For instance, I have a music folder for "contraband: the best of men at work", and I found the album art using Google. I saved the picture in the same folder as all the songs, but when I open the visulization panel it does not appear there.

What did you name your cover art files? Maybe I need to name them a certain way. I noticed in the gen_cover file it mentions the following:

Search order for the cover picture:
(if played file is e.g. "c:\music\abc.mp3")

1. ID3V2 TAG of the file (first picture found)
2. File name with the jpg extension ("c:\music\abc.jpg")
3. Folder.jpg in the file directory ("c:\music\folder.jpg")
4. Cover.jpg in the file directory ("c:\music\cover.jpg")
5. File name with the jpg extension in an other directory (if specified) ("c:\cover\abc.jpg")
6. The album name specified in the ID3 TAG ("c:\music\The Best Of.jpg")
7. The album name specified in the ID3 TAG in an other directory (if specified) ("c:\cover\The Best Of.jpg")
8. The first .jpg file found in the directory ("c:\music\Foobar.jpg")

I can't make heads or tails out of this. If you can help me figure this out I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

- dc
Old 14th September 2005, 18:38   #6
dcgames

Quote:
Originally posted by GHOSTRADIONET
hope this helps..

[edit]I almost forgot the most important part...cover&TAG uses the Video window to show the covers...not the vizualization window..
(Winamp Menu, checkmark Video or Alt+V to bring that up)
Ok, that worked. Thanks. I wonder why it didn't work when I opened the viz window? Maybe it's true what my geek friends tell me, 'DC, yer friggin jinxed with electronics, man.'

LOL

- dc
Old 15th September 2005, 00:47   #7
dcgames

I've found that an album size of 170 pixels by 170 pixels is perfect for displaying in the window. I have Photoshop and it's easy to find the album art and crop or resize if neccessary.

I've been thinking about your original question, "I would like to be able to link the album art displayed in Cover&TAG while a song is playing... over to my station home page somehow.... maybe by using a I-Frame or something like that..."

Now by linking to your station home page, do you mean a song on a web radio station? I'm a little unclear what you mean here. And I'm not sure what you mean by an i-frame, either. Unless you mean an i-frame on a web page?

If you could clarify this a little maybe between the two of us we could figure this out.

- dc
Old 19th September 2005, 21:18   #8
GHOSTRADIONET
Banned

Linking the album art... I mean...

What I would like to do is..

while Winamp is playing...the cover&TAG plugin
displays the album art of that specific song...
and whatever other pictures you put into the folder where that song lives on your hard drive..

If there was a way to "grab" the picture(s)
displayed in the video window....or directly off of the MP3 tag itself even....and then somehow
link them over to your station home page while that song is playing..
(similar to how many of the "now playing" scripts work)
I think that would be cool..

Maybe it's impossible...I don't know..
the lack of any replies from any of the advanced coders here kinda makes one think that it is'nt possible..

G.
Old 20th September 2005, 12:30   #9
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

You've been going on about this for a very long time, and ive been ignoring it in the hopes that you'd figure it out yourself. but sadly, it looks like im left explaining anyway.

Cover&tag does one of two things when you play a local track off your machine (this being the key).
  1. You play a track, and it looks inside that track for the id3v2 tag, if it has a picture in there, it sticks the picture into the video window.

or:
  2. alternatively, it checks to see if there is a picture in the same folder as that track, and if there is, it places that image inside the video window.

Now, lets skip forward to what you are discussing here.

You want cover&tag to mystically be able to load a picture from somewhere when the track details come over in the stream meta data.

As you will note, this is totally different functionality. Infact, you have just as much chance as of the jtfe plugin doing it as cover&tag.

The crux of it is, if you want a plugin to show the cover in winamp of the media you are streaming, you'll have to code it yourself. No such plugin exists.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2005, 12:39   #10
Jay
Moderator Alumni

i use sam to do it, it's simple enough to do otherwise but meh, I am lazy.

If you don't want to spend the $200 (not $300) to get sam then you just have to build a new system with that principle in mind.

I would imagine that if I were to do it from scratch I would have a repository of album images online and use a match based off of song titles to associate the image. How you get that song title can be done with existing php scripts and applications.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2005, 15:40   #11
GHOSTRADIONET
Banned

Thnx..

Thanks Craig & KX,

Your input is appreciated..

The idea of using a now playing .php script and editing it to parse or grab the song art within the song file itself and then linking that art over to a HTML page seems like it has possibilities..

I would say 98% of the song files I own do have cover art, and the ones that don't can be edited with a program like Godfather..which is excellent for that kind of thing..

However.. my experience with .php is limited at best...it's fortunate that I have been able to find a few code snippits here and there that work for my current set up..

This is one of those "projects" that I'll keep looking at when time permits...perhaps one day I'll find that magic code, or find a way to modify an exisitng one I already have... to do what I mentioned above..

Thanks again..

GHOST
Old 20th September 2005, 23:24   #12
GHOSTRADIONET
Banned

Anyone care to take a crack at it...?

Continuing on with the idea I mentioned in my last post...
I figured I would post a .php script called sc_song...some of you probably know of this and maybe even use it yourselves...

Anyway.. I'll post the sc_song portion of this script for the advanced coders to have a look at... to see if it would be possible to add a string or additional parameter in it somewhere to "call up" the album art .jpg inside of the currently playing MP3...

PHP Code:
<?php
/////////////////////////////////////////shoutcast song status\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
// Author: dstjohn (Mediacast1/Casterclub)
// updated 05-2005
// Date started: 05-03-2002 (10:00A.M)
// Date Ended: 05-03-2002 (6:03 P.M)
// Requirements:
// 1.SHOUTcast streaming server
// 2.Oddcast dsp with winamp/xmms (recomended setup)
// 3.Webserver with php 4.x (Recommended environment: Unix (Freebsd, Red Hat etc.. with Apache 3.x)
// Support: None, post in the casterclub forums
// Core script Information:
// SHOUTcast Song Status was written and developed on Windows Xp with apache and php4.1.2
// Has not been tested on IIs webservers, if you do so and get it to work please let us know
// At the forums ([url]http://casterclub.com/forums[/url])
// Also has been tested on freebsd with apache, php4.1.2 and works fine.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//////////////////////////////////open connection\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
//connect to shoutcast server
include('config.php');  //you may edit this path to fit your server environment otherwise leave it alone
$scfp fsockopen("$scip"$scport, &$errno, &$errstr30);
 if(!
$scfp) {

$scsuccs=1;
echo
''.$scdef.' IS OFFLINE';
 }
if(
$scsuccs!=1){

//for newer shoutcast servers
fputs ($scfp"GET /admin.cgi?mode=viewxml HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: $scip:$scport\r\n .
User-Agent: SHOUTcast Song (author: [email]dstjohn@mediacast1.com[/email])(Mozilla Compatible)\r\n .
Authorization: Basic "
.base64_encode ("admin:$scpass")."\r\n\r\n");
 while(!
feof($scfp)) {

$page .= fgets($scfp1000);
 }
######################################################################################################################
/////////////////////////part 1 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
//define  xml elements

$loop = array("STREAMSTATUS""BITRATE");

$y=0;
 while(
$loop[$y]!=''){

$pageed ereg_replace(".*<$loop[$y]>"""$page);

$scphp strtolower($loop[$y]);
  $
$scphp ereg_replace("</$loop[$y]>.*"""$pageed);
  if(
$loop[$y]==SERVERGENRE || $loop[$y]==SERVERTITLE || $loop[$y]==SONGTITLE)
   $
$scphp urldecode($$scphp);

// uncomment the next line to see all variables
// echo'$'.$scphp.' = '.$$scphp.'<br>';

$y++;
 }
//end intro xml elements
######################################################################################################################
/////////////////////////part 2\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
//get song info and history

$pageed ereg_replace(".*<SONGHISTORY>"""$page);

$pageed ereg_replace("<SONGHISTORY>.*"""$pageed);

$songatime explode("<SONG>"$pageed);

$r=1;
 while(
$songatime[$r]!=""){

$t=$r-1;

$playedat[$t] = ereg_replace(".*<PLAYEDAT>"""$songatime[$r]);

$playedat[$t] = ereg_replace("</PLAYEDAT>.*"""$playedat[$t]);

$song[$t] = ereg_replace(".*<TITLE>"""$songatime[$r]);

$song[$t] = ereg_replace("</TITLE>.*"""$song[$t]);

$song[$t] = urldecode($song[$t]);

$r++;
 }
//end song info

fclose($scfp);
}

//display stats
if($streamstatus == "1"){
//you may edit the html below, make sure to keep variable intact
echo'
<html>

<head><meta http-equiv="refresh" content="70">
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<title>'
.$scdef.'</title>
</head>

<center><body text="#FFFFFF" bgcolor="#000000">
<p style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0">
<font face="Arial" size="1" Color="FFFFFF"><b>&nbsp;Stereo Stream Bitrate:&nbsp; '
.$bitrate.'&nbsp;kbps</b></font></p><br>
<p style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0">
<font face="Arial" size="2" color="#FFFFFF"><b>

Now Playing: '
.$song[0].'</b></font></p><br><br><br>
    <p style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0"><b>
    <font face="Arial" size="2" color="#FFFFFF">
    Past Songs:</font></b></p>
    <p style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0"><font color="#FFFFFF"><font face="Arial" size="2">
<b>1.  '
.$song[1].'</b><BR><BR>
<b>2.  '
.$song[2].'</b><BR><BR>
<b>3.  '
.$song[3].'</b><BR><BR>
<b>4.  '
.$song[4].'</b><BR><BR>
<b>5.  '
.$song[5].'</b><BR><BR>
<b>6.  '
.$song[6].'</b><BR><BR>
<b>7.  '
.$song[7].'</b><BR><BR>
<b>8.  '
.$song[8].'</b><BR><BR>
<b>9.  '
.$song[9].'</b></font>
</body>

</html>'
;
}
?>

GHOST
Old 21st September 2005, 00:33   #13
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

The idea is pretty simple -- the details (or attention to them) are where everyone gets stuck:

Assuming consistently formatted ID tags like "artist - title * album", a PHP can easily get and parse the track info from the DNAS without even using the admin password (I'd use /played.html and take the first line, but /index.html can be parsed as well pretty easily).

Then the work really begins -- without a database, you would have to have exactly matching image files that would match something in the ID tag -- either the album name, artist or title, and a "logic" that would determine which to get first (ie: album, artist, title), and very importantly, what to return if a matching image is not found... this way you can simply return an image URL.

You could also use the tact above and read the MP3 file's ID tag directly to get a "seeded" value that could directly match an image filename -- locality is required here (the script must have file system access to the MP3 file)... then how would I know the current track if the ID format did not match the filename?

If you have a database containing more detailed and structured image and MP3 info, the criterion for matching images to track IDs can be far more complex and rubust, and you can probably even return multiple results, and additional "text" information that would normally accompany the album (ie: lyrics).

It all depends on how much work you wanna do (and your programming ability, I guess). I'm like KXRM, I'm really too lazy to stay on top of all of the content I manage to that level of detail, but I'm sure that in a modest situation, or on a small scale, it's pretty easy, and I may attempt such a feat someday.
djSpinnerCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2005, 13:57   #14
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

How about this --- If someone can give me a list (text file) of track titles (not MP3 filenames) as they would appear in the DNAS that link to image URLs, I'll write the PHP to display them on your page.

simple?

ie: format1= DNAS track title|image URL

3LW - No More|http://momentum.servehttp.com/A_images/A_3lw.jpg
Aaliyah - More than a Woman|http://momentum.servehttp.com/A_images/A_aaliyahM.gif

if all of the images have the same root url, you can also just give the filaname.

ie: format2= DNAS track title|image filename
imagerootURL=http://momentum.servehttp.com/A_images/

3LW - No More|A_3lw.jpg
Aaliyah - More than a Woman|A_aaliyahM.gif

Hint: if your playlist is static and you export it as the HTML thing, the track titles will be expanded in the correct format, then you can just add the image info to the end after a delimiting "|" {pipe}.

Really pretty easy. Any takers?
Old 22nd September 2005, 18:07   #15
GHOSTRADIONET
Banned

Interesting indeed.. and sounds do-able..
slightly confusing..
but I think I get where your headed with this..
a question though.. how does one know where to find the DNAS playlist log......or is there such a thing even?

in other words.. you are not talking about the SC server log right? or are you?

regarding a static playlist.. you mean one that does not change correct?
this is the type that I run usually...however.. with the oddsock song requester in the mix that changes the playlist somewhat whenever a song is requested..

pls. forgive my confusion.. based on what you have described it sounds like this could work...it's just the little details that need to be ironed out..

Another thought...similar but different

I use the oddsock song requester plug-in...which itself is a web server of sorts...so....with that in mind.. I could drop a bunch of cover art .jpgs into that folder...and come up with a script that would grap the correct cover of the currently playing song on winamp similar to how you described in your idea....then just I-frame that .jpg into the station web page... right?
Or is this now completely confusing the whole concept..?

G
Old 22nd September 2005, 19:11   #16
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

The playlist issue is probably confusing if you use a requestor, but consider the simplest situation was the starting point:

I have a 20 track playlist, that is loaded in WinAMP -- it doesn't even have to be the "working " playlist that I use for my broadcast -- assume I already have images for these 20 files. OK....

If I create the HTML export of this file, I'll have an HTML document that contains the ID tag track info that will be exactly the same as the track titles as the DSP will display them....

I want you to take that file and edit it -- adding image info to each track title line before the line-ending <BR>.... if a track has no image, leave the line alone, and I'll get a default image. if all of your images are in a single directory, just append "|" + the filename -- and give me the base URL for these files (I'm not hosting images, you are) -- otherwise include full URLs, beginning with http.

Now, you can either send me the file, or put this file on a webserver so my PHP can get it.

The options for "how" the PHP can work are varied -- I can return a full HTML page (to be used in an IFrame), a javascript document.write(), or the image link/URL. -- that choice depends on what you want or don't want the image to do (ie: be clickable).

The PHP, when run, will first find your DNAS (/index.html) and get the current track, then read the HTML playlist|image file from "wherever", and attempt to match the current track to a line in the list -- if I find one, I'll return a URL for the image, if not, I'll return a generic image (image not available) or nothing (a placeholder).

The coding is simple -- the mapping and matching info from DNAS to raw image files is difficult -- it either takes a database or a simple text file -- this "index" is the key that is required. It can be as simple or as complex as you can handle.

Last edited by djSpinnerCee; 22nd September 2005 at 19:44.
Old 22nd September 2005, 20:04   #17
GHOSTRADIONET
Banned

AHHH.. i C

ok.. I got it.. thanks for explaining that
now I totally understand.. I'll save a text file of the current playlist and send it in a PM (if I can do that)

in the mean time.. I'll start building a cover image database on my web hoster.. this will take some time as I will need to ensure all the images are the same size..

One thing that will reduce the image data base size will be by allowing a single image to serve many songs yes?

an example:
lets say the band name is "The Dog Bones"
I can upload one cover for several of their tracks right?

watch for my PM.. and thanks for looking at this..

G.
Old 25th September 2005, 19:10   #18
GHOSTRADIONET
Banned

SpinnerCee.. if you check this
I'm tryin to reply to your PM's but it's kickin em back because your PM inbox is full

I'll try e-mailing ya as well..

G.
Old 26th September 2005, 12:51   #19
GHOSTRADIONET
Banned

Update...

For those who are interested and following this topic...

A lot of progress has been made with this in recent days..
the partnership on this "project" between SpinnerCee and myself has yielded amazing results..
proof of this is available, but respecting the forum rules of use, I will not advertise here...if indeed interested in seeing just how far this has progressed...just ask..I'll PM you back..

I would also like to thank SpinnerCee for helping me out with this...it's really a simple thing that I wanted to do
(re: show current song album cover art using SHOUTcast)
but without his expertise and experience...this simply would have never happened..
Thanks again Cee

more later...

G.
Old 1st October 2005, 18:26   #20
GHOSTRADIONET
Banned

Major leaps...

Closing out this topic with a final comment...
in the past week or so MAJOR advancements have been made on the subject of linking in album cover art for the "now playing" song to a web page..
In order to eliminate confusion...a new topic will be started that showcases this new application developed by djSpinnerCee and I.
(Spinner providing the advanced coding knowledge required to build this app.
and I provided a target DNAS and album art image database to use to test this all out..)

Thanks to SpinnerCee and his excellence in code reading and writing...without his expertise...this would have never been possible to do on my own..
I think it's a big leap forward in SHOUTcast DNAS statistics data delivery.
I think those who see this new SC DNAS application will agree..
More on this in the new topic titled:
"Scaststatus_X DNAS statistics data delivery"

G.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions