Old 19th May 2008, 05:17   #1
sgtfuzzbubble011

Made In China

I loathe seeing "Made in China" on everyfucking thing I buy these days. I'm sick of it. Recently I've started seeing "Made in PRC" on shit as well. I guess they think that's going to fool someone.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 07:58   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Don't buy it then... QED!
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 19:37   #3
zootm
Forum King

Presumably an American alternative is available, if not, there's either a gap in the market or you have extremely unusual tastes.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 21:54   #4
sgtfuzzbubble011

I don't mind paying extra for good quality products made in the USA (and other countries besides China as well!) But as I've stated in other threads in the past, it's exceedingly difficult to find competing products made in places other than China, Honk Kong, and Taiwan. It took me TWO YEARS to find a pair of work boots that weren't cheap pieces of crap made in China, and even then I had to order them because they aren't sold in any stores here.

And I'll say there's a damn gap in the market. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say that *75% of the non-food consumable products sold in this country are probably made in China. You two might not see what I'm talking about since you're both in the UK, but I dunno, it might be similar there. Here's a test for anyone living here in the States: Go to an office supply store (Office Depot, OfficeMax, Staples, etc) and go to the section where they keep all the pens. Look at the back of one of each package and see where they're all manufactured. I'll guarantee that the vast majority are made in China. There's a small portion made in Mexico, and a tiny amount made in other places.

[edit]
*Actually, it's closer to 80%. That's frightening.
[/edit]
Old 19th May 2008, 23:03   #5
zootm
Forum King

It's pretty much the same here with places that sell cheap supplies like those ones; people have an expectation that these products are incredibly cheap to produce now, which in countries unlike China is just not the case. In most cases people are not willing to pay hugely inflated prices for products of comparable quality (there's only so good you can make a shitty pen) when they need to buy so many of them anyway.

It's worth noting that American/European/etc. workers are not better workers; the reason that products from those countries tend to be of better quality is because when one is manufacturing quality goods, the gain from cheap labour is lost.

Old 20th May 2008, 16:19   #6
sgtfuzzbubble011

I realize all of that. That's not my complaint. My complaint is that I'm not offered alternatives to most of those shitty Chinese-made products. THAT'S my gripe.
Old 20th May 2008, 20:31   #7
zootm
Forum King

Yeah, that sucks. Maybe there's some way to express your frustration? Start a consumer group or something? I would emphasise the "poor quality, cheaply made" aspect and ignore the "made in China" aspect, though; most "Buy American" schemes (and the corresponding schemes here, although they seem less prolific) come across as xenophobic, ignorant of economics, or some combination of the two.

If you want high-quality goods and you're willing to pay for them, that's a demand right there. I guess it's just a matter of convincing people of the size of that gap in the market. Get a good number of people together and focus on one product type at first; widening should be easier once the ball is rolling.

This is a pretty non-bitchlist post, though.

Old 21st May 2008, 12:29   #8
sgtfuzzbubble011

Damnit, you're supposed to be bitching with me, not coming up with solutions to the problem! :P
Old 21st May 2008, 20:04   #9
zootm
Forum King

I just can't help it!

Old 22nd May 2008, 07:28   #10
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
k, first off, i don't see made in china or made in prc or made in anywhere on those batteries(?) in the pic, but...
secondly, you could always start collecting zippos
third, china makes things cheaper because (almost) slave labor is legal there.

i think michael j fox in one of the back to future movies first brought this point up in response to one of "Doc"'s comments about seeing a made in china stamp, to which fox replies "oh, yeah all the best stuff is made in china now".

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 13:28   #11
tuckerm
Forum Emo

[edit]Forget it, I don't want to argue with ignorance.[/edit]
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 07:20   #12
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I 'buy american' by buying a pair of Toyotas. My two models have more USA-made parts than most domestics, and the vehicles were assembled here too. Go figure.

I can remember the thread about the pencil sharpener - German blade, Chinese body, "Made in the USA" label on the package with a US flag on it... I guess with a global economy you're stuck getting something that has a little of everything in it.

I try hard not to buy the "Made in [insert southeast Asia place here]" kind of junk at all. Granted there are some exceptions where it is preferable to buy a high quality product from there. People think I'm some kind of asshole for not shopping at the major corporation chains like Wal*Mart or Target where that crap tends to be sold the most.

I really will join you in bitching though - finding alternatives does tend to be quite a difficult job, but it is possible.

Just remember, every time you open your wallet, you are supporting something. What is it that you support?

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 13:16   #13
sgtfuzzbubble011

Apparently, I have to support the Chinese Earthquake Rebuilding Effort.

And strangely enough, automobiles don't bug me as much as everything else (probably because most aren't made in China). In my lifetime so far, almost everything that I've ever seen made in Japan or designed by a Japanese company and made in the USA (including automobiles) has been of exceptional quality. That's not always true, but that's been the case for most that I've seen. I guess I'm weird like that. I don't mind seeing 'Made in Japan' on things (my camera is a good example).
Old 2nd June 2008, 03:15   #14
pixiefied
Mother Trucker

Send a message via Yahoo to pixiefied
http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/

http://www.madeinusa.org/

http://www.usstuff.com/

"Well, got to love you and leave you, need to go get into the shower and rub my hard naked body all over with soapy bubbles, I'll be back later to carry on playing....

It'll take you some time to get over the image of me naked in the shower......mind you don't masturbate to hard thinking about it...."
- Mr.Jones
pixiefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 03:50   #15
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

^Thank you - I'll put those sites to good use.

Old 2nd June 2008, 05:37   #16
sgtfuzzbubble011

Outstanding! *bookmarks those pages* tyvm
Old 11th June 2008, 03:53   #17
sgtfuzzbubble011

I gathered a handful of links to companies that actually still manufacture things in the USA, researched some info for each, and then emailed them to the author of stillmadeinusa.com a couple nights ago. She seemed to be really happy and told me that she'd be adding them to her site once she contacted each company (I'm assuming so that she can get confirmation on location of manufacture for their products). I'll probably do the same for the other two sites soon if I can.

I came across this earlier tonight. It looks like the page is about a year old, but it's got some good links to info showing why I detest Chinese-made junk. Here's another blog-style site with more reasons.

And things like this, this, and especially this (1 2 3) really bother me.
Old 11th June 2008, 06:39   #18
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

It's really sad that unless you really bend over backwards, just about anything you buy will come from there. I deal with shit people say all the time when I speak out against stores that exploit the shit.

Threads like this can look like venues for racism, but it's not - it's people speaking out against poor quality goods meant to nickel and dime you to death.

Old 11th June 2008, 12:35   #19
sgtfuzzbubble011

Exactly. I don't have anything personal against the Chinese (except that I think they reproduce ENTIRELY too much), but I'm tired of being force-fed all of the cheap garbage that comes from their country. Most people can look past the fact that seeing "Made in China" on things generally means that they're cheaply made (and in a few situations, a cheap variant of a product might be preferrable), but I hope more people start to realize that cheaply-made tends to bring safety hazards along with the low cost. Toxic toothpaste, deadly dog food, unsafe car tires, propane barbecue grills that won't shut off, toys covered with lead paint and full of parts that can easily choke children are just a few examples...

Last night while I was reading through a bunch of pages, I came across a statement along the lines of "Remove all the Chinese-made products from a Wal-Mart, and the remaining items might fill a 7-11." That's scary when you stop and think about it.
Old 11th June 2008, 20:28   #20
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Very scary - and I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Old 11th March 2009, 17:08   #21
WebMonkey

Asian countries own 40% of America...fucking disgusting
WebMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 23:57   #22
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Say that in front of a mirror, because it's the American consumer at fault.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist