Old 28th June 2002, 14:46   #1
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Blacklist the words "September" and "eleven"??

I was very surprised when I posted this thread, how quick people were to react and call it offensive due to the fact that it made a reference to the September 11th tragedy.

I have also noticed this in many of the Americans that I meet here on a day to day basis; a defensive stance is immediately taken when September 11th is mentioned, regardless of the context.

The death of Princess Diana and Mother Teresa, all of these were immediately followed by jokes which were appallingly tasteless, yet deemed acceptable. Posts regarding issues such as abortion, suicide, racism, genocide, are all treated with a certain amount of homour in these very forums. I personally can't see anything offensive in my earlier post, only that it employs the massive destruction of the World Trade Center towers as the backdrop for its tale of marital infidelity uncovered.

I never supported any act of aggression, least of all this one, but as long as the words "September" and "eleven" are present in the same sentence, this seems to be irrelevant.

So what exactly is the problem here. What are we afraid of?? Causing offense?? That I don't believe - no matter what is said, someone somewhere will find it offensive. I think that we are more afraid of offending the majority, in this case, the American members of this forum. And it is sad that we let a majority rule our actions, while not listening to ourselves.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 15:08   #2
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Right on Mike. There was absolutely nothing offensive in the thread you posted. The funny gist of it was the absurdity of the whole situation. As I already pointed out to cmisker (who jumped the gun imho), any kind of accident could have been the background of this story.
I think that more generally, it poses the problem of humour. I do think that the funniest things are always done/said to the detriment of other people. It ranges from the classic joke where the guy gets a bucket full of water on his head to the anti [insert category of poulation here] jokes. Of course, it pisses off some people sometimes. But everyone is free to "joke back". Everyone is potential joke fodder; why should we care ? Sometimes you're the one who jokes, sometimes you're the one being laughed at. That's the rule of the game, plus it's a good way of putting egos in perspective. And it's much more interesting than having a bland dull forums where no one dares to make a joke just because it may offend someone.
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 15:33   #3
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Didn't offend me sitting here in the lower plains of America,
next to the cows, the corn, and the Flag (under God)...

I thought it was funny enough to copy it,
and send it to a few of my freinds.
We've got to lighten up here in America.
Sure this was a terrible event in American history.
No one doubts that.
But if we can't find humor in adversity, like we always have before,
we are loosing the fight.
Sometimes, though, these things take time...
We couldn't find any humor in Vietnam for years.
Some still can't, 30 years later.
papadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 15:46   #4
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar

Who in that thread was offended? Who called it offensive?

The way I read it was a cautious laughter about it. Cautious because although it wasn’t an offensive article maybe possibly worried about offending someone. Sept 11 affected a lot of people in many different ways and do not know if someone here waas directly effected by it and don’t want to offend. It will probably (hopefully) be the biggest news event of my lifetime. Something where everyone knows where they were when they first heard about it.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 15:54   #5
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Ummh interesting Papadoc but are you saying that anything and everything that happens to someone / race of people should be joked about (at some point)?

Could you Say.....Come on Jews lighten up it was 50 years ago or so and it was pretty funny.

Does humour have boundaries over race and religion?

Are there things that is 'wrong' to make jokes about (thinking BrassEye etc)

(Bleh everyone types to quick here)

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 15:54   #6
Khakionion

Send a message via ICQ to Khakionion Send a message via AIM to Khakionion Send a message via Yahoo to Khakionion
Quote:
I think that we are more afraid of offending the majority, in this case, the American members of this forum. And it is sad that we let a majority rule our actions, while not listening to ourselves.
Whoa, buddy. Not all Americans get their panties in a cinch when September 11 is mentioned. Heh...did I just get MY panties in a cinch?
Khakionion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 15:58   #7
J. Burnaway
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to J. Burnaway
Re: Blacklist the words "September" and "eleven"??

Quote:
Originally posted by ethan_h
...The death of Princess Diana and Mother Teresa, all of these were immediately followed by jokes which were appallingly tasteless, yet deemed acceptable...
I wasn't offended, but I'd really like to hear some of those Princess Di jokes.
J. Burnaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 16:03   #8
cmisker
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to cmisker Send a message via AIM to cmisker Send a message via Yahoo to cmisker
Mmm, in that thread, I didn't see anyone who was offended! If you think I was offended, you misread my posts in that thread. I am not offended. All I stated that some people might be offended. I would not think it's funny if my dad or something died in that accident and all I said was that, since this is a public forum, we do kinda have to think about eachother. But hey, I am not offended and neither is anyone else yet in that thread, so I don't think there is a need to blacklist these words.

This reply is written in this way, because I think ethan_h is kinda talking about me who is being offended... if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, if I'm right, this is my reply. I don't get offended fast.

Wanna see my Winamp 3?
cmisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 16:08   #9
Khakionion

Send a message via ICQ to Khakionion Send a message via AIM to Khakionion Send a message via Yahoo to Khakionion
Q: What was Princess Diana's last meal before her fateful car accident?
A: Chicken Paparazzi.

LOLOLOLOL ph34r. Geez, I wish I could remember the rest of those. Oh well, here's a couple of celebrity jokes that're unrelated...

Q: What do Michael Jackson and JCPenney have in common?
A: Both have little boys' pants half off.

Q: What did OJ Simpson say after he left the courtroom?
A: Can I have my glove back?

Ha ha...I kill me.
Khakionion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 16:13   #10
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Re: Re: Blacklist the words "September" and "eleven"??

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Burnaway

I wasn't offended, but I'd really like to hear some of those Princess Di jokes.
Here's a quick one

Q: Why couldn't Superman save Lady Di ?
A: Have you ever seen a wheelchair going faster than a Mercedes ?

People offended by this can keep it to themselves. I don't give a damn
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 16:14   #11
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
If you read my post you'll see that I'm not referring specifically to that thread. I'm not even referring to making jokes about controversial topics. It is merely an illustration of the problem at large, and is something I observe both online and in real life every day.

I'm just curious as to why we as a whole, become far more concerned about causing offence if a majority is in question? The first thing that springs to everyones mind at the mention of Sep. 11 is that no matter how it is discussed, it will be deemed offensive. We seem to be far more at ease when discussing topics such as racism, abortion, genocide, school killings etc, even going so far as to make jokes about them. I've seen more than one reference to middle eastern nationals as being "towelheads". Is that not just as offensive, yet I don't see so many people up in arms. It seems far more likely to me that a member here is from the middle east, or has experienced abortion, than having any kind of direct involvement in the destruction of the WTC.

The world has always been a dangerous place, every day we hear stories such as the killing of school children in Dunblane, the bombings in northern Ireland, the 1995 bombing of the St. Michelle metro station in France, the slaughter in Kosovo, the suicide bombings in Palistine.

Are these not just as tragic, and not just as offensive to the people that have to endure them every day. I never disputed the fact that the WTC incident wasn't an act of hatred, but the general perception seems to be that it should somehow overshadow all other atrocities.

Sep 11th was a terrible day for many, that goes without question. But it wasn't the only one, not by a long shot.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 16:45   #12
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

It is partly because it was so brash an attempt that worked that it still shocks people to even think that it could be undertaken.

The worst part is how every man and his dog is blaming september 11th for their current woes. "The local Cornershop here in Merry Hill has shut due to poor trading after September 11th".
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 16:54   #13
Print
Forum King

A joke is a joke, either it is funny or not funny. If you don't like it than that's fine, but don't sit here an moan about it. I personally found it funny. But why is Sep 11 so sacred, we make jokes about all kinds of disasters, but what, now because you know someone from this tragedy it is suddenly so important? People get killed all the time and even YOU! probably make jokes, so don't be a hypocrite now.

September 11. We understand the impact it had on society, but like ANYTHING, there [edit]are[/edit] jokes related, and even about it. Here is a question of mine. Tons of people are dying in the middle east, and in many other areas, by the thousands, do you get fully involved in a discussion if this is brought up, do you get mad if someone mentions it at the wrong time? I thought not.

- By the way Bilbo, your new sig looks cool -
Print is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 16:56   #14
Bilbo Baggins

There are already loads of jokes about it.
Old 28th June 2002, 17:03   #15
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rovastar
Ummh interesting Papadoc but are you saying that anything and everything that happens to someone / race of people should be joked about (at some point)?
No sir, not at all.
I don't believe that.
Some things should be left alone.
I would never joke about the lives that were lost,
or the lives of those who were effected by the 911 attacks.
Those events will never be healed to the point of a joke.
Much like certain personal events in anyones life.
But we should be able to find humor, whereever possible,
in the event itself.

Example:
I would never make jokes about the loss of my buddy in Vietnam,
or the loss his family goes through every day.

But I will always have fun with the time he and another buddy,
left camp on a beer run to the next camp, late at night.
In the darkness of night, they saw the silhouettes, of a bunch of bodys, crouched down walking across the road.
They opened fire.
This got everybody in both camps up and running,
fearing the camps were being overrun.
When things settled down they went to get a body count.
They killed 16 monkeys.
Old 28th June 2002, 17:10   #16
Print
Forum King

Hahahahaha, monkeys, lol.

Sorry about your friend Papadoc.
Print is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 17:17   #17
J. Burnaway
Forum King

Send a message via Yahoo to J. Burnaway
Quote:
Originally posted by papadoc
...They killed 16 monkeys.
Oh great, now all those monkeys who have been in a room trying to type Hamlet are going to post. Good going papadoc!
J. Burnaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 17:25   #18
Aeroe
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aeroe
Where did Prince Charles have his honeymoon?

In-diana.

(lame i know)
Aeroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 21:28   #19
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Burnaway

Oh great, now all those monkeys who have been in a room trying to type Hamlet are going to post. Good going papadoc!
What was I thinking?
That's all I need...another monkey on my back.
Old 28th June 2002, 22:27   #20
Jon Deaux
Major Dude

On 9/11 I sent out a message that Gary Condit's office had just released a statement saying that Chandra Levy's body had been located in the rubble beneath the WTC.
I still think it was a good joke.
Heyu PapaDoc, did you get to participate in the Tonkin Gulf beach party?
If so you'll want one of the disks I'm compiling, or maybe you have a clip you'd like to add.
It's mostly just period music with radio chatter from chopper crews, forward air controlers, and ground troops calling in for air support, dust-offs and what-ever, but there are some very rare songs by J.E. that never made airplay stateside, and a few other things that'll mean something to those who were there.
Vietnam was a joke all along.

"Nothing really matters much to me"-Freddie Mercury

Last edited by Jon Deaux; 28th June 2002 at 23:11.
Jon Deaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 22:43   #21
FunkDoc

Quote:
If you read my post you'll see that I'm not referring specifically to that thread. I'm not even referring to making jokes about controversial topics. It is merely an illustration of the problem at large, and is something I observe both online and in real life every day.
If your talking about the desensitization towards certain topics that were once deemed "low blows: then I see your point because I too latley have been disgusted with a handful of citizens and orginizations in my town. The world is changing fast, and the rules as well. The bar has been raised. If that's what you were referring to I see your point, and things only seem to be getting worse.
FunkDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 22:55   #22
QHOBBES
Banned

Send a message via AIM to QHOBBES Send a message via Yahoo to QHOBBES
I think the media is milking September 11th for all its worth.
Sure September 11th was tragic but hey, shit happens. Do any
of you people know the date of the bombing of Pearl Harbor off the top
of your head? What about the day we dropped the A-Bomb? Or when we
bombed the China Embassy on "accident"? September 11th to me
is just another day to me along with the other 364.25 days of year.
What about the people who have birthdays on September 11th or
anniverseries on September 11th? should they be shoned for
having something to celebrate on September 11th?
QHOBBES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 23:13   #23
FunkDoc

That's true Hobbes, I read somwhere that New York was going to air the footage of the attack all day next septeber 11th, now that's sick. It's like this has never happened before. I'm not saying we sgould just forget about this but we should at least move on. Here we are discussing this an some of the families have barely had time to grieve.
FunkDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 23:18   #24
SNYder
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by QHOBBES
What about the people who have birthdays on September 11th or anniverseries on September 11th? should they be shoned for
having something to celebrate on September 11th?
No. They should have a moment of scilence... then PARTY!!!!
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2002, 23:58   #25
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Do Any of You Know The Date if the Bombing of Pearl Harbor

Yes, Of course December the 7th, 1941."A Day That WIll live in infamy" Our beloved FDR. I was born in England in 1945..Mother War Hero Father War Hero Older brother drafted vietnam...Live in New York outside of city..got to watch it burn over the sound Lost my apartment 1 mo. later because of job loss and economics was there fifteen years...But I still think thereis hope..and laughter too. Oh also flaming screaming lefty liberal
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2002, 00:23   #26
Bop
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Curi0us_George
I get tired of trying to avoid pissing people off. When people are looking for something to get upset about, then they are going to find it. As long as I don't violate my own morals or break the law, I couldn't care less if some overly-sensitive prick gets offended.
AMEN!

ßoþL¡©¡†¥
Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2002, 00:33   #27
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Not offended

Just also wanted to add I'm not offended in the least by ethan's org. post. But like the man Papadoc said sometimes it takes awhile to get over some things..or perhaps we shouldn't, so we don't end up thinking putting people in gas chambers.. not a bad idea..psBob u give a mean movie review !
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2002, 02:15   #28
QHOBBES
Banned

Send a message via AIM to QHOBBES Send a message via Yahoo to QHOBBES
Q3Q3
Take my wife, please
QHOBBES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2002, 14:09   #29
zootm
Forum King

Re: Re: Re: Blacklist the words "September" and "eleven"??

Quote:
Originally posted by Twilightseer
Q: Why couldn't Superman save Lady Di ?
A: Have you ever seen a wheelchair going faster than a Mercedes ?
oh, that's priceless... *writes down in order to take credit*

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2002, 14:58   #30
Scar Da Kookee
[Forum Pastry]

Frankly i dont get why everyone's upset about, we lost two big ass buildings in NYC, we herd it was some middle eastern country's fault, and we bombed the piss out of em. WHY ARE WE STILL UPSET!!

Needs more moo-cows.
Scar Da Kookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2002, 15:49   #31
Bilbo Baggins

Q: What was the last thing on Dianas mind when she died?

A: The dashboard
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions