Old 21st November 2001, 15:28   #1
7icha7d

Send a message via ICQ to 7icha7d
Abortion

Should abortions be legal or not? Personally, I think killing a child without asking *it* if it's OK with it is murder. Then again, backstreet abortions would possibly be even worse. What about the rest of you - pro-life or pro-choice?

"Curiosity, kitten, doesn't have to mean you're on your own"
7icha7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2001, 15:55   #2
randman

Abortions are already legal. We should not be telling woman what to do with thier bodies. We should not be bombing abortion clinics. I guess that would make me pro-choice.
Old 21st November 2001, 16:27   #3
Nofx Guy
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nofx Guy
well i think woman have the choice to do whatever they want with their bodies, considering a baby is still part of their body since it is in them and lives on them. so sure yeah i think abortion should stay legal.... but this is a really touchy subject...

www.audioflo.ath.cx
All music, All the Time
Nofx Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2001, 17:59   #4
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

I suppose I'm in the middle on this issue.
If a woman's pregnancy is due to rape or incest,
or if the pregnancy dangers the woman's life,
then she should be able to choose to have an abortion.

On the other hand if abortion is used as a means of birth control,
I don't think so. I've seen young girls who aren't afraid to have sex, who don't use birth control, and who aren't afraid to get pregnant because they know they can get an abortion. They don't even give it a second thought.

And what if she says "woops...how did this happen...I don't want this...I didn't mean for this to happen...I just can't deal with this...this is a mistake..." then I'm not sure.
Should she be allowed to abort or should she have the baby
and put it up for adoption? This starts another debate.
papadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2001, 19:47   #5
SNYder
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by papadoc
I suppose I'm in the middle on this issue.
If a woman's pregnancy is due to rape or incest,
or if the pregnancy dangers the woman's life,
then she should be able to choose to have an abortion.

On the other hand if abortion is used as a means of birth control,
I don't think so. I've seen young girls who aren't afraid to have sex, who don't use birth control, and who aren't afraid to get pregnant because they know they can get an abortion. They don't even give it a second thought.

And what if she says "woops...how did this happen...I don't want this...I didn't mean for this to happen...I just can't deal with this...this is a mistake..." then I'm not sure.
Should she be allowed to abort or should she have the baby
and put it up for adoption? This starts another debate.
that is absolutely 100% how I feel.
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2001, 20:01   #6
danbee

Send a message via ICQ to danbee Send a message via AIM to danbee Send a message via Yahoo to danbee
i guess you can't really comment on this until it's directly affected you. i used to be totally against abortions...

:: danbee :: www.danbee.co.uk ::

"old programmers never die. they just terminate and stay resident."
danbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2001, 20:34   #7
Aeroe
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aeroe
"it's a woman's body"
interesting that an entire new life is being formed in her womb.

"it's legal and should be that way"
if something is legal it doesn't always make it Right. (as mentioned above)

"it's not human, it's just a fetus" or "it's dependent on the mother and unable to survive on it's own"
for about 15 years i was totally dependent on my parents, yet they never aborted me. i still continue to develop physically thus i'm not human.
anyways how many could survive naked in the jungle, since you cannot, you're only subhuman.
Aeroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2001, 20:47   #8
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Oh seriously did you have to start this debate? *_*

Personally... I say stop debating over it and find a SOLUTION for all the children that are current *living*. Stop expending resources to overturn Roe vs. wade and instead use resources in an alternate solution that will advance society.

I have an... out of the box idea that would help with the abortion and the adoption rate: give nice tax Benefits (Write offs) To any person who voluntarily sterilizes themself. Teens who want to be whores generally also need money. They go to the "center" and then... they can hump to their hearts content with reckless abandon (save genital herpes etc etc) . Later on in life when they settle down and they WANT a child but can't have one, they will be forced to adopt.

Now is the time for all good Americans to come to the aid of their Country
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2001, 20:52   #9
Huehuetenango
Forum King

i agree w/ papadoc on this
basically voices my opinions, though better then i would

and ppl DO use it as birth control
i have a friend who once ran into someone on the subway she'd known in maybe grade 1 or 2
the girl is like "yeah, i'm really happy today"
my friend asks why
the girl says "i just had my THIRD abortion"

scary
Huehuetenango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2001, 20:58   #10
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

When you eliminate consequences, you encourage behavior; its basic human nature.
Old 21st November 2001, 21:03   #11
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

I personally am pro abortion. I look at it from the point of view that since the baby is physically part of the mother, as it is attached to the mother through the placenta, it is up to the mother to decide what to do.

Maybe I am wrong to think that, but if someone can convince me otherwise, then I am open to ideas.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2001, 22:52   #12
rm'
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes
Oh seriously did you have to start this debate? *_*
Exactly (your sig is filthy, btw ).

I'm kind of ashamed of my self with respect to this issue, because unlike my usual decisive self, I'm a fence sitter who keeps waffling.
They're are excellent arguments on both sides (sanctity of life, and woman's choice don't even factor in, in my opinion). I'd just hate to see abortion replace birth control. As Xerxes so well put it, "When you eliminate consequences, you encourage behavior".
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2001, 00:47   #13
Bilbo Baggins

But what would be a worse consequence? Millions of unwanted babies, left to rot in orphanages, or a few piles of cells to be incinerated?

I know which i would choose.
Old 22nd November 2001, 00:55   #14
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
Quote:
Originally posted by randman
Abortions are already legal. We should not be telling woman what to do with thier bodies. We should not be bombing abortion clinics. I guess that would make me pro-choice.
That's the typical amoral answer.

People these days (us men included) need to have a little responsibility.

If you have sex and get pregnant, it's your responsibility to bring a new life into the world. You don't have to sacrifice your life by raising him/her. That's what adoption is for.

But for fuck's sake, if you don't even remotely want to have children, you shouldn't be having sex in the first place, at all.

In other words...
Why is there this "Pro-choice" stuff at all? You already have the choice to have sex or not. You don't just magically get pregnant.
NeoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2001, 01:00   #15
Bilbo Baggins

Scenario 1:

You are with the love of your life, and after a great few months, you both mutually agree to take the relationship further, and you sleep together. You take some precaution, but say the condom breaks, and you do not notice until after. What then?

Scenario 2:

you get absolutly blind drunk, and you meet up with a member of the opposite sex, and after some basic fliration, go back to an appartment, and while drunk, you both have rampant sex all over the house.

In both cases, there are credible arguments for the fact that they should not have been having sex, but also there are credible arguments for saying that in both cases, the pregnancy was totally unplanned.

And you will never ever be able to stop the basic human urge to reproduce.
Old 22nd November 2001, 01:08   #16
NeoRenegade
Banned

1) A condom alone isn't enough precaution. If you were planning, then good job
2) That's why you don't get smashed at parties

It all comes down to responsibility again. You can have sex if you think the person and time is right, but god damnit, know what precautions you need to take.
Old 22nd November 2001, 01:12   #17
Bilbo Baggins

Short of having them cut off, i do not think there is any reliable method of birth control.
Old 22nd November 2001, 01:22   #18
randman

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoRenegade
If you have sex and get pregnant, it's your responsibility to bring a new life into the world. You don't have to sacrifice your life by raising him/her. That's what adoption is for.

But for fuck's sake, if you don't even remotely want to have children, you shouldn't be having sex in the first place, at all.
First of all I believe myself to be fairly responsible. I helped father and raise 6 children. Thanks to defective birth control, my wife became pregnant again. We mutually decided we could not afford to raise this child. We also knew that if she carried it to term, we could not give the baby up for adoption. So at the time, we felt it was our only choice. Thank goodness we still have the freedom to make our own choices.

Oh by the way, I also had a vasectomy. It should have been sooner, but I can't nor would I want to change the way things turned out.

And if you find a way for people to stop having sex, I wish you'd share it with the class.
Old 22nd November 2001, 01:24   #19
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Once someone I knew who travels a lot was talking about being in a bustling Airport in Bombay, India. He said he saw men walking in and out of a tent and an attractive lady giving large bags to the people walking out. When he inquired what was going on, he was told it was an Indian Government sponsered program to give Vasectomies to men as away of curbing population growth. Men were consenting RIGHT THERE and getting the operation done in the tent! The bags were gift bags of food!

Sterilzation is an overlooked form of birth control that works very well, if you are willing to put up incentives...
Old 22nd November 2001, 01:29   #20
NeoRenegade
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
Short of having them cut off, i do not think there is any reliable method of birth control.
No. A condom along with spermicidal lubricant is 99.99% effective even if the condom breaks.

I suppose I would allow an abortion that 0.01% of the time since you did take appropriate precautions.
Old 22nd November 2001, 01:30   #21
rm'
Banned

Quote:
Once someone I knew who travels a lot was talking about being in a bustling Airport in Bombay, India. He said he saw men walking in and out of a tent and an attractive lady giving large bags to the people walking out. When he inquired what was going on, he was told it was an Indian Government sponsered program to give Vasectomies to men as away of curbing population growth. Men were consenting RIGHT THERE and getting the operation done in the tent! The bags were gift bags of food!
Oh dear, I think you've failed to hear of the horrible stories of forced sterilization coming out of India, where men are dragged out of their homes at night so the district commissioner can fulfuil his quota, or men are duped into vasectomies for second rate stereos. India is not a country I would use as a shining example of anything positive.

But yes, sterlization is an often overlooked option. In every situation you gave, Bilbo, the two people had choices, and if the made the wrong one (even if they were unplanned), it is still their duty to bear the consequences.
Old 22nd November 2001, 01:35   #22
missyob
Angel of Winamp

You really never know what you would do unless you were in the actual situation.

I feel it is the right of both the male and female to make that decision if it ever came down to it.

I think they should have counceling to go along with the operation though.

~ Missy
missyob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2001, 01:36   #23
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Well, forced sterilzation is EVIL, on the record I am never for that. Voluntary sterilzation, however, is something I am very for. The fact that India is sponsering some postive activities is a step in the right direction.

Remember, The american govt. equivalent of a gift bag is a tax write off
Old 22nd November 2001, 01:43   #24
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

There is only one form of birth control
that's proven to be effective 100% of the time.
Abstinence.
papadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2001, 01:55   #25
NeoRenegade
Banned

I think a lot more paperwork should be involved in abortion than right now.

And the gov't or whoever's n charge should be allowed to refuse to allow someone to have to abortion for whatever reason.

The line between good reason and no reason for an abortion is pretty blurry.

As far as stopping people from having sex... it can't be all that hard. I'll be turning 19 soon and I've never even kissed a girl although I don't go a single day without wanting to.

We're human beings, not animals.

And fetii are human beings too, not unwanted baggage.
Old 22nd November 2001, 03:54   #26
Aeroe
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aeroe
heh
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,39197,00.html
[edit] if you look at the skin color of the lady, and the color of the patch, does it ever make you wonder how white the doctors are? sheesh... just like bandaids [/edit]

NR... maybe the life of a monk is for you?

Aeroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2001, 04:21   #27
DoubleG

Oh boy - I wasn't gonna jump in on this, but now I have to.

Aeoroe - NR should be monk because he thinks the decision to murder an innocent baby should be taken a little more seriously? Or because he is human being that can control himself? Geez - hearing people say that people can't stop having casual sex is proposterous.

I agree with about hald the people who have posted to this thread:

If you don't want to give up a home run - then don't pitch the ball!
If you can't afford anything on the menu don't go into the restraunt.
If you've got a new jacket on, don't spit into the wind.
If you don't have suntan lotion and don't want a sunburned backside, then don't sleep outside naked during the day!

I think I've made myself clear

Cute sayingless
DoubleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2001, 04:37   #28
randman

We all have strong opinions on abortion. And most of us are inflexible in our beliefs. This an issue where there is no middle ground. So we shouldn't be here trying to convince each other. If we really want change we should be pressuring our congress person or senator. We should be voting for people who best represent our side of the issue.
Old 22nd November 2001, 04:46   #29
DoubleG

Well said randman.

Any mods wanna lock this thread?

Cute sayingless
DoubleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2001, 06:06   #30
mr_sax
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to mr_sax
Quote:

Sterilzation is an overlooked form of birth control that works very well, if you are willing to put up incentives...
we watched a movie on this in social's class. some men in india do that and are promised land and money from the goverment, and they are not given it. and plus, if they want to have the vesectomies, they're in unclean environments where many die later on from infection

it was groosom shit... and i was quite sick afterwards - they kept showing the same scene of the doctor sticking a tube down a man's belly and ... u know the rest etc etc..

mr_sax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2001, 06:11   #31
mr_sax
Major Dude

Quote:
We all have strong opinions on abortion. And most of us are inflexible in our beliefs. This an issue where there is no middle ground. So we shouldn't be here trying to convince each other. If we really want change we should be pressuring our congress person or senator. We should be voting for people who best represent our side of the issue.

oh and then let the wonderful goverment make our decision for us they're people too you know, people like us, they're not gonna say "oh look at this big picture of protestors fighting over which is right, oh i bet this wins......

Old 22nd November 2001, 06:38   #32
rm'
Banned

Quote:
We all have strong opinions on abortion. And most of us are inflexible in our beliefs. This an issue where there is no middle ground. So we shouldn't be here trying to convince each other.

Kang: "Abortions for all!"
Crowd: "Boo!"
Kang: "Abortions for none!"
Crowd: "Boo!"
Kang: "Fine then... abortions for some... miniature American flags for all!"
Crowd: "Yay!"

DoubleG, I'd like to hope that differences of opinion is no reason to end a discussion.
Old 22nd November 2001, 08:48   #33
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Quote:

Excellent post, nothing to add

Quote:
This is by far the silliest thing I've ever heard. Sex is only meant to procreate ? I would LMAO if that statement wasn't so pathetic.

Quote:
As far as stopping people from having sex... it can't be all that hard.
How would you know ?
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2001, 09:25   #34
danbee

Send a message via ICQ to danbee Send a message via AIM to danbee Send a message via Yahoo to danbee
Quote:

In other words...
Why is there this "Pro-choice" stuff at all? You already have the choice to have sex or not. You don't just magically get pregnant.
well, my girlfriend has been away at uni for the last 3 weeks and frankly, i'm hornier that a rabbit surrounded by lots of female rabbits! she's back this weekend and i know what we're gonna do pretty soon after she gets back...

the point is, sex is a natural human urge. it's not something that can be suppressed easily (especially when you don't see your girlfriend for 3 weeks ) so saying that you shouldn't be having sex is like saying 'you shouldn't be smoking' to a smoker.

:: danbee :: www.danbee.co.uk ::

"old programmers never die. they just terminate and stay resident."
danbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2001, 11:05   #35
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
I am very much against abortion - maybe because of the fact that I'm Irish - abortion is still illegal in this country - or the fact that I'm Catholic, where it is considered an act of murder. However, I'm not going to force my opinions down other peoples throats, which seems to be happening here.

It's all very well to say "I'm all against abortion - I'd never do anything like that", but the vast majority of people here, myself included, have never been in the situation where we had to make that decision. Randman did make that decision, and it's a decision that both he and his wife have to live with, something that we will never be able to comprehend. To be perfectly honest, as much as I'm against abortion, I still don't know how I'd react actually faced with the situation - none of us do. So don't knock other peoples opinions on the subject because you just don't know.

There are also other issues to be considered - what happens if, after a routine scan, you are told that your child to be will be severely handicapped, and probably won't live past the age of ten?? It happens, more often than you'd like to imagine. Should the parents not have the option of whether they want to bring this child into the world, in the knowledge that he or she will suffer constantly all her life. It happened with my own sister, and she died as a result. I don't think I could go through what my own parents went through for 6 years, not to mention the pain that it brought afterwards.

Quote:
And the gov't or whoever's n charge should be allowed to refuse to allow someone to have to abortion for whatever reason.
Thats what the Nazi's tried to do. Remember those, Neo? They had the power to decide who was born, and who wasn't, in order to create the master race. The government decreed that blonde hair and blue eyes were good, black hair and brown eyes were considered a defect, as was dark skin, etc. And God help you if you were Jewish, or handicapped. That would render you pretty much fucked Neo if you were born about 50 years ago in Germany. And you want to give this power to your government?? "I'm sorry ma'am, but your kid doesn't meet the EU regulations..."

Quote:
As far as stopping people from having sex... it can't be all that hard. I'll be turning 19 soon and I've never even kissed a girl although I don't go a single day without wanting to.
I think you're in a bit out of your depth here. You're the biggest self-proclaimed virgin in these forums - you even said it just now, you've never been with a girl. To say that "it can't be all that hard" is rediculous - especially from someone that hasn't a clue in the first place - thats what the church tried to do for years, and it's only now that prople are shaking off that stigma. Basically what you're saying is that if a girl came up to you tomorrow and said "I need sex now, are you busy??", you'd reply "no, sorry...I have this assignment to hand up tomorrow you know.... and I didn't really get much sleep last night..." Bullshit.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2001, 11:31   #36
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to griffinn
Quote:
Originally posted by ethan_h
"I need sex now, are you busy??"
Attached Images
File Type: gif my-oh-my.gif (5.7 KB, 226 views)

The smiley slot machine! | Quotable Blog
griffinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2001, 11:53   #37
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
LMAO !!!!

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2001, 13:01   #38
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Chev's official take on abortion:

Like we need more children in the world who are either illegitimate or are fathered by deadbeats. Abortion is the patch until a final solution can be found for unwanted pregnancy.

Chev's official take on "Pro-Life" activists:

FUGG THEM!
You dare call yourself "Pro-Life" while you bomb abortion clinics and shoot abortion doctors?

Chev's official take on the abortion needy:

Condoms are cheaper than most redneck dates!
USE THEM! DON'T BE SILLY, WRAP YOUR WILLY!!!

The owners of this forum in no way, shape, or form support the views of Chev. This has been a paid presentation.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2001, 14:02   #39
NeoRenegade
Banned

Anyhow, about abortion. Right now I believe laws in most jurisdictions say that you can't have an abortion if your're past the first trimester. I think that should be lowered to something like halfway thru the first trimester.

There was a real incident where an abortion was performed and the fetus lived outside the mother's womb for several hours before dying.
Old 22nd November 2001, 14:48   #40
mr_sax
Major Dude

that probably happens a few times, not just once..

yes it's a scary thing to think about, but if the baby, if born, is giong to affect the woman so diversly, or even KILL her, then the doctor has to do his work

again i agree: women should not be told what to do with their bodies

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions