Old 5th March 2012, 02:55   #1
Ozwan

Do I REALLY need to transcode to MP3?

I'm trying to determine if I need to buy an MP3 license. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. WMP supports AAC now. so is there any other things I should be concerned about that might persuade me to buying a license? It seems like all the players support AAC now.

Furthermore, would it be better to buy software that is better than the transcoder? I really like that the transcoder plays all the time, allows DJ's to interrupt and connect, supports FLAC, and encodes everything to one codec. IF it's a good idea, should I just buy some different software that does those four things? I looked at SAM Cast but it doesn't seem to have all four of those functionality (am I wrong? the website isn't very detailed).
Ozwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 10:11   #2
DrO

1) it depends on how compatible you want to be with mobile users (where aac is present but is still not as widely adopted as it could be). really it comes down to what and who you want to provide the stream(s) for since it's your station.

2) you should go with the software which best fits your needs and requirements (or at least allows you get as close to that as possible).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 11:50   #3
Ozwan

What major platforms don't yet support AAC?

What solution (even if its more than one program) might accomplish the four tasks that I want? I am having a hard time searching for such programs. Presumably because I don't really know what I'm searching for.
Ozwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 12:09   #4
DrO

what i meant about AAC support is that although there is AAC support on most OS platforms, support doesn't equate to adoption and generally MP3 is still deemed to be the best way by most stations to allow the maximum number of clients to be able to connect (or they provide an AAC and MP3 version to give people a choice).

so it comes down to what sort of people and access means that you want to support. if you think that going AAC only is right for you and the people who are likely to listen to your staiton then do go with AAC, but i'm not going to say go with one or the other as it's not my station. and also how many people you think you'll want to cater for (as in all reality not many stations go into the 1000's of listeners, let alone high 100's) is something you'd need to pay attention to as an AAC stream will give people a better audio quality at a lower bitrate which means you can potentially support more clients at the same bitrate compared to an MP3 encoded stream.

as for software, i'm not the right person to be asking about such things and hopefully someone else is going to chip-in (as i'm always going to say use the official tools seeing as that's what i work on but that's not always the right solution) or you just need to get trial versions of things and see what does / doesn't suit you.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions