Old 9th April 2002, 16:46   #1
sub1zero
Banned

Something for the Kazza and Grokster users

Not Brilliant, KaZaA's crackers

The bundling of distributed computing software within file sharing software used in the KaZaA network continues to generate controversy across the Internet. Since late last year KaZaA downloads have contained 'sleeper' software which let Brilliant Digital Entertainment, a 3D advertising and modelling software start-up to activate Altnet, its own P2P network.

Altnet, which is yet to be switched on, is designed to allow the distribution of secure content or for complex number crunching tasks, using spare processing power, storage and bandwidth on users' PCs. The news has triggered a backlash from users of networks such as KaZaA.com and Grokster
sub1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2002, 08:11   #2
Spritz

damn spyware
Spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2002, 14:20   #3
John M
Puts the Cuss in General Discussions
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to John M
heres something for the Kazza and Grokster users:

GNUCLEUS

missyob made me post this.
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2002, 15:22   #4
Tapewormz

More than just spyware!

If you've been following tech news lately, you've already heard of KaZaa, an application that's infamous even in the Wild West world of peer-to-peer file swapping. CNET News.com revealed last week that KaZaa bundles piggyback software that could allow third parties to use your computer to distribute their own content. Even if you're savvy enough to disable the extra software, you can't opt out of installing it, and we (CNET) can't endorse any application that abuses the trust of its users. If you're after file sharing, stick with Audiogalaxy or LimeWire. As a result CNET, ZDNET and DOWNLOAD.COM the internets largest software aggregation site have removed Kazaa indefinately.

I believe that Nullsoft should follow suit and remove (KaZaA Winamp Plug-in [Component ID: 40442]) from their servers.

Lets keep Winamp trojan free!

For more information please read the following article.
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-873181.html
Tapewormz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2002, 22:24   #5
Casper720

Send a message via AIM to Casper720
Edit your registy!!!

Hello... about this Kazaa software. Sure you can uninstall the b3dprojector from your add/remove programs list but THE PROGRAM IS STILL ON YOU COMPUTER!! You must delete several files AND EDIT YOUR REGISTRY. It takes about 10 minutes... I personally like kazaa and believe the 10 minutes is worth it, to eliminate the risk of spyware. Anyone can email me if they need a walkthrough or advice on getting rid of these stupid programs. Good luck.
Casper720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2002, 06:17   #6
Tapewormz

Easy yes, but worth it?

That's not the point. The point is that CNET, ZDNET, NEWS.COM and DOWNLOAD.COM gave Kazaa a big kick in the clangers. The point is that you can't trust Sharman Networks and it's theird party affiliates. Why would you want to install a virus on your computer? That's ZDNET's question and my question too. Kazaa has been classified as a trojan horse due to the stealth p2p network burried in the application.

I guess Kazaa isn't that integral in my life since I'm not a pop culture fan. I suppose if I wanted to download Eminem and Britney Spears I could use Kazaa. While Usenet may not be easy for novice users, it's sure alot faster. No queues, and top speed downloads.
Old 15th April 2002, 06:24   #7
Tapewormz

BOH is the least of your worries

Oh yeah...And you still have to track down all those BOH plug-ins that hide in internet explorer. They're invisable, but their the least of your worries with Kazaa. If you have disabled the Brilliant software and the Cydoor software then Kazaa will soon cease to work. You won't be able to connect to the Sharman Network without an up to date version of Kazaa. The third party software have built in auto update utilities. This will lead to more registry modifications and software patching.
Old 16th April 2002, 00:26   #8
BBnet3000

yah i got kazaa dispite this cause its great but i aint happy about this shit. gd it.... i dunt even know how to get rid of the crap....
BBnet3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2002, 18:39   #9
sub1zero
Banned

I said it before and i'll say it again JOHN M is the biggest toool i have ener seen
Old 18th April 2002, 17:31   #10
Flynnz
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flynnz Send a message via AIM to Flynnz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnz
http://www.wired.com/news/mp3/0,1285,51916,00.html

Good new article that pretty much sums up the Kazaa situation to date.
Flynnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2002, 18:46   #11
sub1zero
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Flynnz
http://www.wired.com/news/mp3/0,1285,51916,00.html

Good new article that pretty much sums up the Kazaa situation to date.
and something tells me the best is yet to come
Old 18th April 2002, 19:41   #12
Tapewormz

Sharman Networks shoudl not be preaching!

Clip of the above mentioned article:

Kazaa Lite has caught the attention of Sharman Networks, the Australian company that purchased Kazaa earlier this year, and in a statement released Wednesday said that the company, "will vigorously defend our rights and take action against parties engaged in misrepresenting our software. Consumers are being deceived with ripped off and highly suspect code, and we are determined that their rights, enjoyment and machines are not prejudiced."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Um...Highly suspect code? Oh the hypocrasy! Now they're saying that other developers are releasing highly suspect code. Like they should be preaching about highly suspect code. Stupid Sharman Networks. HAHA! VIVA LA KAZAA LITE! I hope they manage to keep Kazaa Lite going for along time.
Old 18th April 2002, 19:44   #13
Tapewormz

Kazaa plug-in petition!

This only furthers my argument that the Kazaa plug-in found in the WINAMP plug-ins section should be promptly removed. If all the big software agrogate sites have done it, then NULLSOFT should act on this. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Spyware and trojan virus's do not have any place in WINAMP. Lets keep WINAMP trojan free! Petition NULLSOFT to remove the Kazaa plug-in!
Old 18th April 2002, 19:50   #14
sub1zero
Banned

all this crap about kazza makes me more excited about WINMX 3.0
Old 19th April 2002, 04:19   #15
Tapewormz

Take it to the bitch forum

Don't petition in the skin & rips section. It'll only get you into hot water with a really bored mod. They know they're bored and they're more than willing to virtually poke you with a virtual stick. Anyways, don't post it there or you'll be sorry. Do it in the bitch forum. Create a thread and I'll be there...Petitioning my heart out.

I smell something stinky and it's Kazaa plug-in. And it smells like a can of crushed a-holes!
Old 19th April 2002, 04:26   #16
Tapewormz

Oh yeah...

I know this because I was smacked down by a mod for posting it in the rip section. I also posted a link to several articles talking about the p2p network burried in the code. Sharman Networks admits the fact now. They do not deny it. This is 100% proven. You can not use the Kazaa plug-in without installing Kazaa Media Desktop. Installing Kazaa Media Desktop also installs the stealth p2p. Can't avoid it.
Old 19th April 2002, 04:36   #17
Flynnz
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flynnz Send a message via AIM to Flynnz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnz
Tapewormz: Will you please fucking shut up about the WA Kazaa plugin already! It installs no spyware onto the users computer. It is packaged with NSIS and only includes two files--a readme and the plugin dll. If people download Kazaa and it installs spyware then.. whoops--that's between Sharman Networks and them; it has nothing to do with this plugin. There's no reason for Nullsoft to remove it.

So for the love of God, stop wasting your time and, if nothing else, annoying me.

Grrrr. I'm going to go have some tea now.
Old 19th April 2002, 04:41   #18
Tapewormz

Dude looks like a lady

The plug-in can't access the sharman network wihtout having kazaa media desktop installed. So no...I won't stop. If it bugs you so much, then don't read this thread. Nobody asked you to reply to it. Nobody asked you to read it. Nobody asked for your opinion.
Old 19th April 2002, 04:44   #19
Flynnz
Major Dude

SO WHAT?!? It's not like the plugin automatically installs Kazaa or anything! I think there are very few people that are going to go out and download Kazaa just because they somehow heard about this plugin and decided they wanted to use it.

And besides, there's always Kazaa Lite. Duh.

Sheesh.. I wonder about people sometimes.
Old 19th April 2002, 04:49   #20
Tapewormz

Backasswards

It would be illegal to use Kazaa plug-in with Kazaa lite. Kazaa Lite has been removed from software agrogate sites because it violates copyrights. So as it stands, Kazaa plug-in still requires you to install Kazaa Media Desktop (KMD) in order to be functional. Doing so would result in the dreaded stealth p2p backdoor on your computer.
Old 19th April 2002, 05:30   #21
Flynnz
Major Dude

get some perspective

[img]ftp://llama:whippin@66.56.129.15/yourmom.jpg[/img]
Old 19th April 2002, 05:35   #22
BMWboy

try running this on your computer, it should get rid of all the crap you're bitchin about http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10...ml?legacy=cnet
BMWboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2002, 06:54   #23
Flynnz
Major Dude

Exactly.
Old 19th April 2002, 17:24   #24
sub1zero
Banned

i don't like adware/spyware cause these useless programs take up space on my computer and i cannot uninstall them because i need them for the something like kaazaa to work
Old 19th April 2002, 21:22   #25
Aeroe
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aeroe
um didn't you see kazaa lite mentioned a half a million times

kazaa - spyware/adware. it does put a fake cydoor.dll file on your drive but it's harmless. in fact the real cydoor dll is too, it just rotates banner ads.
Aeroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2002, 22:38   #26
Tapewormz

It's not just spyware. There's more. Do some research. You'll see.

There's nothing harmless about comming home to find that your bandwidth is being used by Sharman Networks. As is your hard drive and your ram and your cpu. Getting a phone call from your ISP asking you why you're bandwidth through put is so high for the month and recieving additional charges on your monthly bill isn't harmless either. If you read the articles then you would know that there's more than just spyware in Kazaa Media Desktop. It's not "JUST" spyware. It's got a stealth p2p network integrated into it. You can not disable this. There is no way to remove while keeping Kazaa Media Desktop functional. It is an integral part of KMD. The only way around this is to set up a firewall and all activity but a few ports on your computer. Joe Noobie isn't going to know about this. Joe Noobie is going to get a suprize on his montly internet statement.
Old 19th April 2002, 22:44   #27
Tapewormz

AdAware isn't enough

AdAware won't remove anything but cookies. The BOH plug-ins will remain. You will need to edit your registry and go on dll safari's in order to free your computer from the spyware. This won't remove the stealth p2p. These are only temporary solutions. KMD updates regularly and will force you to reinstall all the missing pieces of software in order to sustain functionality. They're not dumb. They know people are altering registry's and deleting dll's and replacing dll's. They're doing check sums now and forcing auto updates inorder to resume functionality. It's a program that was developed by software pirating nerds. They know these stratagies an manouver their way around these tiny obstacles.
Old 19th April 2002, 22:48   #28
Tapewormz

LOL FLYNN (re: photo)

I'll bet you that Mc Donalds is piggy-backing spyware into their preservatives! Little nanobots cleaverly disguised as clindamycin! Quick! Edit that kids brain and remove his stomach and lock him in a white room to protect him! (what a brilliant run on sentance...)
Old 19th April 2002, 23:22   #29
sub1zero
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeroe
um didn't you see kazaa lite mentioned a half a million times

kazaa - spyware/adware. it does put a fake cydoor.dll file on your drive but it's harmless. in fact the real cydoor dll is too, it just rotates banner ads.
yea but im not usin any version of kaaza im just usin GRokster with some little modifications
Old 19th April 2002, 23:56   #30
Aeroe
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aeroe
there's a patched grokster as well...

anyways adaware Does remove the reg settings, and other files spyware leaves behind. as long as you keep it updated.

cydoor is just ads, the distributing software is bde which adaware removes. it's not in kazaa lite either.
Aeroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News