Old 9th December 2004, 12:28   #41
Erwin_D

I have gapless playback now

After trying all of the above, here's what I did. I do not use any 3rd party plugins.

In DirectSound output settings:

* Move 'Buffer-ahead on track change' to 1000 ms
* Enable 'Remove silence at beginning / end of track'
* (Edit) Move the slider to -60 dB to prevent soft/silent intro's/endings being chopped.

That's it! no more gaps between MP3's! (Didn't try CD's yet.)

Last edited by Erwin_D; 9th December 2004 at 13:20.
Erwin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2005, 23:55   #42
pfox

is there a way to merge a few tracks that need to be seamless without merging all the tracks? i haven't attempted this yet, just curious.
pfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 10:20   #43
tallgareth

I've just tried mp3splice as recommended by DVDyke and it seems to give true CD-like playback. Why isn't the waveOut system recommended on 2k/XP?

Until the direct sound plugin can be configured to mimic CD playback (i.e. no gap between joined tracks AND no removal of real silence at the end of a track) mp3splice seems to be the only option, even if it is old.
tallgareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 17:42   #44
khan_cross

Guys but how is it about at the DISC WRITER PLUG IN?
I have a DJ mix which is in seperate Tracks. The Direct Sound Out plug in works good with the settings of DJ EGG.

I want to write the single MP3 tracks of a mix to a single WAV or MP3 file but this without gaps.

Other possibility is to use i. e. Sony CD Architect but this take long time to fix all tracks.
khan_cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2005, 07:27   #45
khan_cross

IS THERE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT GAPLESS TRACK CHANGE ON DISKWRITER PLUG IN AND ALSO IN WORK WITH MP3 OUT PLUG IN?
khan_cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2005, 07:47   #46
siebe83
Forum King

Maybe SqrSoft ACF Disk Writer. It's meant to output crossfaded tracks to one wave file, maybe it can output gapless as well.

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2005, 17:10   #47
br549

how about pausing in winamp 2.0?

Post 1

Does all the above explain to winamp 2.0? I have the older version, 2.0 and it does pause when the songs over when playing mp3's. can anyone please explain how to stop this? thank you.

Post 2

does the above mean the same for winamp 2.0? i stream with the older version, and there is a pause. i went to direct sound plugin and the metrix of it is diffrent from 5.0 can anyone help? thanx

Post 3

onae more thing, i stream mp3's.

[Edit --> DJ Egg]

Three posts merged into One. Learn to use the Edit button.

/me cba with making a new post

The answer is "No!" We don't support the old bug-ridden 2.x series anymore.
Winamp 5.x is the direct continuation of where 2.9x left off.
Performance is exactly the same when run with a classic skin (see installer options for details of all features which can be disabled prior to installation, eg. modern skin support, cd ripping/burning, etc), or just install the 5.x Lite version on top of 2.x instead.

Versions prior to 2.9x did not natively support digital audio extraction (ie. you needed a 3rd-party plugin to get gapless cd playback)

michael
br549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2005, 11:05   #48
rhys

Well, here's another 'bump', because I'm getting really mad here with Winamp (again!)

Sorry DJ Egg, but all your excellent suggestions have not worked for me when playing (ripped from mix cd) mp3s. I am still getting the gaps, and I've tried ALL your suggestions.

I tried the mp3_splice and in_mad plugins. Worked better - the transition was slightly cleaner, but alas, not 'gapless'. Still noticeable. Still very annoying.

I'm running xp_sp2, AC'97 chipset, winamp 5.094, and needless to say a very competent system.

So what's the deal? I would be VERY grateful if you could spare me just a little more of your time. I can assure you, I'm not a n00b. I'd love gapless mp3 sound! Many thanks

P.S. I was using Winamp 2.0 years ago, and gapless DID manage to work ok then. So what's up with v.5?!?!
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2005, 20:21   #49
stabatron5000

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
The instructions in my first reply seem simple enough to me, heh :/

If we made Winamp play gaplessly by default, by enabling all gapless settings in the default distro, then we'd only get the reverse response of what we're getting here, eg.
I'm a n00b and I want my stupid 2 second gap. :[
Took me about an hour to find this post and follow all the directions, and I still have to re-rip all my stuff because there are gaps fused into them now.

The post previous to your response only asked for an option, not to make everything default.
stabatron5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 15:56   #50
rhys

Still no joy, so I've been looking elsewhere.

foobar2000 has initially been too difficult for a n00b like me to get into.

But I have found a player that does the job handsomely, by NOT using the Direct Sound plugin, which frankly is crap for gapless.

If, like me, you're still having problems, search and download 'XMPlay', you will be pleasantly pleased, straight from the default settings!

No why can't Winamp manage this, huh?!
Old 18th August 2005, 16:50   #51
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Funny how it works for everyone else except you :/

You're obviously doing something wrong,
and I suggest you read the first post in this thread again.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 21:43   #52
rhys

Egg, I'm sure I've saved you the embarassment by not posting my IT credentials.

Funny how XMPlay works OUT OF THE BOX!

Sorry. I've wanted to love Winamp, but without gapless support, how can I?

By the way, I use the MD3 skin on my XMPlay! It doesn't crash now either! lol
Old 18th August 2005, 21:59   #53
rhys

Egg, perhaps I should clarify, in case it helps:

It's not that I'm still getting any 'gap'. It's that Winamp, regardless of any silence correction, soundcard, or buffering settings, does not give the correct transition between MP3 tracks. It always cuts away the start of the next file, and does not join the MP3s at the correct start and end points. These MP3s, might I add, have been encoded using LAME.

I hope this might help, in some way, if only to clarify my particular frustration.

Gap - no. But accurate 'continuous' playback - nowhere near.
Old 18th August 2005, 22:37   #54
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Sounds like you've increased the Cut Off value too much.
All you need to do is increase "Buffer ahead on track change" slider value and checkmark "Remove silence" (leaving Cut Off value at somewhere between -40 and -35dB). Like I said, it works PERFECTLY for me (and everyone else, afaik) EVERY time! So you MUST be doing something wrong :/

What are your current settings for all three?

ps. xmplay is crud ;-)
Old 19th August 2005, 21:14   #55
rhys

Egg - my previous post:
Quote:
Originally posted by rhys
It's that Winamp, regardless of any silence correction, soundcard, or buffering settings, does not give the correct transition between MP3 tracks.
I appreciate that there's not much else you can suggest here, but c'mon!
Old 19th August 2005, 21:33   #56
rhys

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
ps. xmplay is crud ;-)
Really?

I currently rate the Windows 95 'cdplayer.exe' above Winamp, for obvious reasons! ;-)
Old 19th August 2005, 21:41   #57
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Have you tried in_mpg123 yet?

It can read encoder delay and padding tags (if present) just like foobar2000 (and maybe xmplay too?) and therefore produce perfect gapless playback without any output tricks (not with all files though*).

*For old (fhg etc.) encodes Winamp works better than any other player I know!
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2005, 13:52   #58
rhys

Yes I have, and it doesn't help. It reduces the audible 'click' between track changes, but the timing of transition remains incorrect. Why does Winamp do this.

But let me just check, how are you installing it?
Old 20th August 2005, 14:21   #59
gaekwad2
Foorum King

By closing Winamp, opening the 7z, going to bin\SSE2*, and unpacking the dll into Winamp\plugins.

Then restart Winamp, go to Preferences > Plug-Ins > Input, select Nullsoft MPEG (...) Audio Decoder, configure, remove (at least) MP3 from its extension list, OK.
Select Shibatch mpg123 plugin, configure, check Suppress zero samples at the beginning, OK. Close preferences.

But your timing problem does look more like you've set the cutoff value too high (note: it's a negative value so left=high, right=low), or did you enable crossfading (fading tab: on end of song)?

*choose another one if your CPU doesn't support SSE2
Old 21st August 2005, 12:04   #60
rhys

Thanks for the assistance with 'in_mpg123'. I can confirm that I was installing it correctly, but it's always good to check!

However, the several albums which I'd been using as testing material for all this, I have found are slightly flawed in their encoding.

So I've gone back, hand picked a few albums, encoded them with LAME myself and tested the whole thing again. The results are much better.

Although, I am yet to test this generally with mp3s that have not had the priviledge of being LAME encoded, I hope that this has at least solved part of the problem already.

Many thanks for your help.

P.S. I've uninstalled XMPlay...
Old 21st August 2005, 13:38   #61
rhys

Another quick question:

Will the prescence of IDv3 1+/2 tags affect the transition of tracks, or will buffering mitigate any possible effect?
Old 21st August 2005, 14:17   #62
gaekwad2
Foorum King

ID3 tags are skipped by the decoder, afaik the time needed to do that is negligible (less than the time needed anyway to open the file for playback, read its header etc.).

So even very short buffering should be enough for them not to have any effect.
Old 21st August 2005, 14:19   #63
rhys

Beauty
Old 22nd August 2005, 00:20   #64
TheDigitalPimp

omg this is brilliant. I have a bunch of CDs with seamless track transitions and now I can play the mp3s as though from a CD player!
TheDigitalPimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 20:26   #65
Titule

No,
I have the gaps.
And this is all too complicated. It should work out of the box.
Sorry, but I look for some better CD player.
Titule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 10:53   #66
dj_CatT

Send a message via ICQ to dj_CatT
I think easyer could be do WinAmp 5x with "disk-at-once" function. WinAmp 3.0d still more batter than WinAmp 5x. All dj's and all who loves dj mixes o to
http://rapidshare.de/files/10626688/...-full.exe.html

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
Huh?
dj_CatT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 21:09   #67
wrokradiodj

I Tried The Settings For No Gaps And No Silence Between Songs But It Doesn't Work For Me Because I'm Using The Volume Logic Plugin For Dynamic Sound, So How Do I Get It To Work Since I'm Using That?
wrokradiodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 21:16   #68
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Don't Use The Volume Logic Plugin Maybe? ;-)
Old 3rd October 2006, 21:27   #69
JonnyMac

You would think that if you had to pay 20 clams for an output plug-in, gapless or cross-fade would included as one of the features.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 12:39   #70
TENBGOL

Configuration Thats Working Excellently For Me Right Now:
[Winamp V5.32]

Peace

TEN
TENBGOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 17:29   #71
JoeyJoeyJoeJoe

Hi,

I managed to achieve gapless playback with a 'buffer ahead on track change' value of 1200 and a 'silence remover cutoff' of -33.5 decibels. However, this cuts off up to five or six seconds of the very quiet openings of certain classical tracks. This is the LOWEST silence cutoff which allowed completely gapless playback for me - any lower and I get, not necessarily a pause, but at least an ugly 'click' on track change.

Note that iTunes, for all its lack of any customisable settings or access 'beneath the hood' of its audio engine, gives me perfect gapless playback WITHOUT cutting off the beginnings of tracks. Obviously I'd rather use Winamp, so any suggestions for how to fix this?

Thanks,
Joe
JoeyJoeyJoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 14:16   #72
Michael T.

Hi DJ Egg.

These suggestions that you gave about gapless playback, will they work for streams? So that the listener doesn't hear the gaps? I've tried two plugins so far and they don't sound that great so I'm looking for alternate ways to do this.
Michael T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 14:41   #73
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Streams are continuous so they need to be broadcast without gaps or there is little you can do about it. Are you asking this as a listener or a broadcaster?

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 22:32   #74
Michael T.

I'm asking as a broadcaster. What I would like, and have not yet found, since I can't find a good crossfader or gap killer (that I can understand or that doesn't cause the next song to start a few seconds ahead of itself) is something that will switch to the next track say maybe 15 to 30 seconds before the next track actually begins. I know of something like that but it's a script for another application that I don't use.
Old 28th January 2008, 23:57   #75
JonnyMac

A broadcaster as in SHOUTcasting? Have you tried the SHOUTcast Forums? They can give you answers that are more specific to a SHOUTcaster setup. Anyways, a quick and hasty search for crossfade at the SHOUTcast Forums resulted in the following (among other results)...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=247190
However gap killing and crossfading aren't necessarily the same thing. Anyways, try asking fellow SHOUtcasters.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 00:05   #76
Michael T.

I did a search of the whole forum for title change and found this thread. I'll checked out that link and it led to a mention of the SqR Soft plugin, which I've tried already and it makes a stream sound really choppy.

Last edited by Michael T.; 29th January 2008 at 00:20.
Old 7th February 2008, 19:52   #77
Michael T.

I may have found something that is a good gap killer called MP3-splicer. I've been testing it out with various songs and it seems to do the job. It also seems to change the track title to the next song about a second before it starts. Sqr Soft did this but when I would try to check my email or visit webpages, Sqr Soft ACF would either stop the songs briefly or cause them to skip, which never happened before I used the Sqr Soft ACF and doesn't happen now that it's uninstalled.
Old 22nd April 2009, 06:29   #78
BruceHouston

Gapless w/ ASIO Asian Version?

Hi Egg,

Dell D620 Core2 Duo w/ 4gb ram
XP Pro
WinAmp 5.551

Running asio_out(exe).dll to E-MU 0404 USB

I realize that you don't support 3rd-party plug-ins. However, you seem very helpful; so if you have any thoughts...

(1) To get gapless CD playing, I tried unchecking "sonic engine" in CD plug-in V 3.8, with Nero 6 wnaspi32.dll (Vers. 2.0.1.74) copied to WinAmp root. I get no playback at all (silence) unless "sonic engine" is checked.

(2) Of course, I cannot try suggested DirectSound output plug-in settings since I am not using that plug-in. The asio plug-in has a "gapless" checkmark box; but checking that makes no difference. Neither does changing the asio plug-in's buffer size (0-63 range).

WinAmp restart at each setting change described above.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bruce
BruceHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:03   #79
BruceHouston

Re: Gapless w/ ASIO Asian Version?

Quote:
Originally posted by BruceHouston
Hi Egg,

Dell D620 Core2 Duo w/ 4gb ram
XP Pro
WinAmp 5.551

Running asio_out(exe).dll to E-MU 0404 USB

I realize that you don't support 3rd-party plug-ins. However, you seem very helpful; so if you have any thoughts...

(1) To get gapless CD playing, I tried unchecking "sonic engine" in CD plug-in V 3.8, with Nero 6 wnaspi32.dll (Vers. 2.0.1.74) copied to WinAmp root. I get no playback at all (silence) unless "sonic engine" is checked.

(2) Of course, I cannot try suggested DirectSound output plug-in settings since I am not using that plug-in. The asio plug-in has a "gapless" checkmark box; but checking that makes no difference. Neither does changing the asio plug-in's buffer size (0-63 range).

WinAmp restart at each setting change described above.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bruce
Further note: The "gapless" option DOES make a difference; however I was not able to make it play completely gapless consistently. Once in awhile I could set the buffer to 63 and get it to play completely gaplessly. However, when I re-started WinAmp that magical state went away.

But it sort of works with "gapless" enabled. Very important to restart WinAmp after each change to see the effect.
BruceHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 12:47   #80
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, sorry, I don't use the 3rd-party ASIO Ouput plugin,
and have no clue whether/how gapless playback works with it.
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support