X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • al0137
    • May 2012

Stream - Sound Quality Issue

In a few days, I'm looking to optimize a current active stream/station for sound. I currently do not know the current settings on soundcard or dsp but have been doing research and wanted to go in with an idea of why the sound quality of the stream sounds like it's coming out of a tin box.

It currently sounds like the EQ is way off (or completely off). I figured there might be some members that have heard this type of thing before - I have a feeling that the fix is probably quite easy (enable or disabling base settings or a DSP/plugin issue).

For comparison, I'd like the stream to sound like this (same 128kbps 44.1 sample rate stream settings)

Again, won't be able to look at anything for the next couple days but any further information that might provide a path forward would be helpful.

Thanks!
  • DrO
    • Sep 2003

clipping &/or incorrect transcoding of the original input audio is the most likely things such as an incorrect EQ setting or too much pre-gain applied.

it would all depend on how the input audio is being obtained and passed to the DNAS server as to how and where to look at to determine the cause of the issue (which sounds mainly like clipping with some re-encoding artifacts). as it could even be that it's the input audio if from local files where the issue is due to them being poorly encoded to begin with.

-daz
    WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• al0137
      • May 2012

Thanks for your reply.

The input audio is coming from the studio board that's also sending the terrestrial signal (which sounds great). Live sets make no difference to the sound quality of the stream - and they vary on source (most are high bit-rate MP3 or lossless/direct source).

So, I was thinking some EQ being enabled somewhere in the chain once the signal comes back to the local machine that handles the DNS-->DNAS. I'm definitely not an expert but the stream itself sounds 'clean' to me.. just the tininess of the sound. But if you are hearing clipping and encoding artifacts, that's good info. to know.

In the signal path chain, where is EQ generally tweaked (shoutcast DNS or before)? Also, can you make these changes on the fly or does it require a restart of DNS and/or the entire system for any of these changes to take effect? This will be good to know when troubleshooting.

Comment

• DrO
        • Sep 2003

the signal would need to be altered before it gets to the DNAS as that just takes what it is given and will pass it on to the clients without any processing on the audio data itself.

it most likely is down to something with the software being used before getting to the DNAS but what i cannot really say as it sounds like there's possibly a few steps in there.

-daz
        WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

Working...
        X