Old 19th August 2018, 18:38   #1
DirtMcGirt

How can I install Shoutcast as a Windows Service?

Saw posts from like 2002 on this, can anyone walk me through how to get this installed as a service please? Running 1.9.8 DNAS
DirtMcGirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2018, 21:51   #2
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

the v1 dnas does not install as a win service.
djSpinnerCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 21:49   #3
Greg_E
Major Dude

OK, how does one install the DNAS2 as a service in windows? I've just gone round and round with SC.exe create and the powershell equivalent and I still do not have a shoutcast server starting as a service.

Trying to run this on Server 2016.

Alternate would be if anyone has a good working guide that will get this installed on Centos 7 x64 and running as a daemon properly. I can get it running when logged in and manually started, but nothing that will start from a reboot without logging in.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2018, 15:22   #4
Greg_E
Major Dude

Funny what happens when you read the instructions! (sorry, no screen caps) Here is what I did:

Go to the wiki and read how to install the DNAS2 as a service http://wiki.shoutcast.com/wiki/SHOUT...l_as_a_Service

Take note of the fact that you need to specify the complete path to log files and any other files needed in the conf. before executing the command in a command window (navigate to where you put the DNAS and shift right click to open a "command window here". You may need to run the command as an admin which will take a bit more work.

Then you'll need to go to the services.msc applet and locate sc_serv and change it to automatic (delayed start).

Reboot.

Wait a couple of minutes (delayed start) and your encoders should connect and your stream will be available.

Specifics for my install because they might be important:

Fresh Server 2016 (with GUI) install with .NET 3.5 installed, network drivers, graphics drivers (all that was required for this computer).

Logged in with the default first account (administrator, not going to join this to my domain).

Assign a static IP to your to connection so your encoder always knows where to connect and your router knows where to forward the connection requests. (for locally managed servers)

Used the Windows 64 bit installer to install into c:\SHOUTcast tried the auto conf. file builder and failed, so built one from the simple template to get me going (go back and make things more secure). We only have a single stream. Not sure why the conf. generation tool failed, but it's not that hard to hand "code" them.

Shift+Right click inside the c:\SHOUTcast folder to get a command prompt.

Entered the command: "sc_serv.exe install sc_serv 0 0 sc_serv.conf" (no quotes) moments later the command prompt returned but no status condition and stream not yet started.

Press "Windows" key, type "services" and enter. Scroll down to sc_serv and double click to open the properties. Change start mode from "manual" to "automatic (delayed start)".

Reboot and wait (don't get impatient it took my server about 2-3 minutes before the service came up.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 20th September 2018, 15:28   #5
Greg_E
Major Dude

I should also mention that if still using DNAS1, the only way I was able to install it as a service was with instsrv and srvany, I have a post from about 2006 detailing how I did this but it might be deprecated in newer operating systems (2006 was Server 2000 and Windows XP time). I had 2 different instances of the DNAS1 running back then, both were being run as services.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 20th September 2018, 23:55   #6
neralex
Major Dude

@Greg_E, did you tried to read the /docs/ folder in the download package of DNAS v2? Its very simple to install it on windows but on linux is it much easier and maybe the better choice.
neralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 15:19   #7
Greg_E
Major Dude

I did finally read the directions which is what lead to the post above. I was having massive problems with Centos 7, none of the guides let me get this going on a reboot so I gave up and built it on Windows. Need to revisit the Linux install when I have more time to figure out what I was doing wrong with the install, kind of under a time crunch right now as our server failed back in August and I had to wait for the new budget year to start in September to buy a new server. The last one got us 12 years worth of service, I think we got our money's worth on that server.

Your mileage may vary!
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Technical Support