Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roadster.wa
    • Jan 2015

Thanks for putting your efforts into this. I have just tested using source files from minidlna. The sound quality is excellent and output appears to use exclusive mode as other asio tools are disabled.

Main problem for me seems to be that switching sample rates doesn't work at the first attempt. Incorrect output is sent ( to spdif in my case) then if the player is stopped and restarted the correct output is sent at the second attempt. The sample rate generally then matches the source which is exactly what I require. The exception to this is with flac files which always seem to be upsampled to 192KHz. They do play well but I would rather the upsampling was done in my external DAC/amplifier.

I had some doubt about the correct output channels being used but this seemed to correct itself and is now using the SPDIF outputs from my device ( which is an RME Babyface usb ADAC).

I look forward to the full release version and thanks again.

Comment

• M.J.
      • Oct 2014

Originally Posted by roadster.wa View Post
      Thanks for putting your efforts into this. I have just tested using source files from minidlna. The sound quality is excellent and output appears to use exclusive mode as other asio tools are disabled.

Main problem for me seems to be that switching sample rates doesn't work at the first attempt. Incorrect output is sent ( to spdif in my case) then if the player is stopped and restarted the correct output is sent at the second attempt. The sample rate generally then matches the source which is exactly what I require. The exception to this is with flac files which always seem to be upsampled to 192KHz. They do play well but I would rather the upsampling was done in my external DAC/amplifier.

I had some doubt about the correct output channels being used but this seemed to correct itself and is now using the SPDIF outputs from my device ( which is an RME Babyface usb ADAC).

I look forward to the full release version and thanks again.
      Hello roadster.wa, thanks for your feedback!

In this version there's absolutely zero sample rate conversion performed (I've stripped that functionality for the moment). Files are played exactly at their sample rate and only if your soundcard supports that sample rate. Neither are FLAC files nor any other media file upsampled to 192kHz as you're describing.

Regards,
      -M.J.

Comment

• roadster.wa
        • Jan 2015

Originally Posted by M.J. View Post
        Hello roadster.wa, thanks for your feedback!

In this version there's absolutely zero sample rate conversion performed (I've stripped that functionality for the moment). Files are played exactly at their sample rate and only if your soundcard supports that sample rate. Neither are FLAC files nor any other media file upsampled to 192kHz as you're describing.

Regards,
        -M.J.
        Yes please disregard the comment about flac, I think I was mistaken and tested using the wrong file. At the moment I can't use this output because of the nasty noise when there is a change of sample rate between tracks. So far I have only overcome this by stopping and restarting play but I will go through other settings to see if there is a work round.

Comment

• M.J.
          • Oct 2014

Yes please disregard the comment about flac, I think I was mistaken and tested using the wrong file. At the moment I can't use this output because of the nasty noise when there is a change of sample rate between tracks. So far I have only overcome this by stopping and restarting play but I will go through other settings to see if there is a work round.
          Strange, as I do have the same audio interface as you do (RME Babyface), and I don't experience this behavior when, for example, listening to 44.1kHz tracks followed by 48kHz tracks.

I tend to use lowest buffer size (48 samples) within RME's driver, and OUT_ASIO is set to 63 buffers size / Time Critical thread-priority.

I suggest playing with these combinations.

Regards,
          -M.J.

Comment

• roadster.wa
            • Jan 2015

Strange, as I do have the same audio interface as you do (RME Babyface), and I don't experience this behavior when, for example, listening to 44.1kHz tracks followed by 48kHz tracks.

I tend to use lowest buffer size (48 samples) within RME's driver, and OUT_ASIO is set to 63 buffers size / Time Critical thread-priority.

I suggest playing with these combinations.

Regards,
            -M.J.
            Just tried those settings and created a 48KHz file to test too.

There is no problem switching between 44.1 and 48KHz but if you go to 96 or higher the difficulty is as I described. This may be because the Babyface driver reconfigures the total number of input and output sockets. It doesn't need to do this to achieve 48KHz. Incidentally I always have the initial BF setting at 192KHz. I have also noticed that a small buffer size tends to cause pops or crackles if there is any other processor activity so I tend to run it at the default.

You may already know that the Foobar2K wasapi driver has similar problem ( actually worse because it doesn't recover at the second attempt) but the F2K ASIO works OK.

Comment

• M.J.
              • Oct 2014

Just tried those settings and created a 48KHz file to test too.

There is no problem switching between 44.1 and 48KHz but if you go to 96 or higher the difficulty is as I described. This may be because the Babyface driver reconfigures the total number of input and output sockets. It doesn't need to do this to achieve 48KHz. Incidentally I always have the initial BF setting at 192KHz. I have also noticed that a small buffer size tends to cause pops or crackles if there is any other processor activity so I tend to run it at the default.

You may already know that the Foobar2K wasapi driver has similar problem ( actually worse because it doesn't recover at the second attempt) but the F2K ASIO works OK.
              Thanks for the feedback, I will try with higher resolution files.

Feedback like this is very helpful, because I've started to think about implementing dynamic buffer settings with regards to ASIO driver's buffer size - then there would be no such option for setting buffer size in OUT_ASIO, because it'd be set in realtime. I'm not sure if this gets to the next version that is planned for release at the end of January, but who knows :-)

Regards,
              -M.J.

Comment

• m_lesiu
                • Jan 2015

Hi M.J.
                Is there a plan to bring back gapless mode (hopefully, which will work correctly)?

As for bug reports -I'm using v0.99b and have no problems with it but I blindly assumed, no conversion/scaling is done. I'm using original Asus ASIO drivers with Essence STX (which then outputs analog signal to my Denon AV receiver).

Comment

• M.J.
                  • Oct 2014

Originally Posted by m_lesiu View Post
                  Hi M.J.
                  Is there a plan to bring back gapless mode (hopefully, which will work correctly)?

As for bug reports -I'm using v0.99b and have no problems with it but I blindly assumed, no conversion/scaling is done. I'm using original Asus ASIO drivers with Essence STX (which then outputs analog signal to my Denon AV receiver).
                  Gapless mode will be back.

-M.J.

Comment

• M.J.
                    • Oct 2014

!!! PLEASE READ !!!

Can anybody who's using the current version (0.99b) please post:

- ASIO buffer sizes / latencies (the settings in your ASIO control panel)

- Buffer Size in OUT_ASIO configuration dialog

- Sample rate in kHz (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, etc...)

- Soundcard / ASIO driver you're using

- Plugin version (SSE, AVX, normal) + your CPU + RAM + Windows OS version

- Is this combination working for you 99.5% of the time? (i.e. no playback stuttering, dropouts, etc... aside the mentioned problems reported above - gapless playback, occasional playback stop on VBR files, etc...)

- (please also try playing with min./max. ASIO buffer size vs. Buffer Size in OUT_ASIO configuration)

I'd be extremely grateful for this information, as this will be used for dynamic buffer size adjustment. There's tendency of inverse relationship between ASIO buffer size in your control panel and OUT_ASIO buffer size - the more ASIO buffer size, the less OUT_ASIO buffer size needed for "correct" playback, but I need to verify, as not all ASIO drivers are the same, and I have even experienced buggy ASIO drivers which don't behave like this.

Thank you very much!

-M.J.

Comment

• A11ectis
                      • Apr 2014

ASIO buffer sizes: 512 Samples
                      Buffer size in OUT_ASIO: 512
                      Sample rate: 44.1kHz
                      Soundcard/ASIO driver: Onboard Realtek HD Audio using ASIO4ALL v2.12
                      Plugin version/CPU/RAM/OS: x86, Intel Core i5 750, 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1
                      Issues: Currently playing through my FLAC library with no problems; <1sec delay before audio plays
                      Twitter

Comment

• pbelkner
                        • Jun 2010

Can anybody who's using the current version (0.99b) please post:

The device is "InLineĀ® USB HD Audio Adapter, USB Hi-Fi (24-bit 192kHz) zu Digital Coax / Toslink / I2S Audio Konverter, 33053I", working 100% of the time.
                        Winamp v5.666 Build 3516 (x86) + in_ffsox + out_yasapi + gen_yas

Comment

• M.J.
                          • Oct 2014

This IS screenshot from original OUT_ASIO :-)

And what about buffer settings from ASIO control panel?

-M.J.

Comment

• pbelkner
                            • Jun 2010

This IS screenshot from original OUT_ASIO :-)

And what about buffer settings from ASIO control panel?

-M.J.
                            I don't know about any other control panel ... What do you mean by that?

Comment

• M.J.
                              • Oct 2014

Originally Posted by pbelkner View Post
                              I don't know about any other control panel ... What do you mean by that?
                              It's the control panel of your soundcard - somewhere where you select your ASIO settings (mostly buffer size / latency)...

Comment

• pbelkner
                                • Jun 2010

It's the control panel of your soundcard
                                This particular device seems not to have something like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X