Old 20th March 2005, 19:13   #1
teennation

Send a message via AIM to teennation Send a message via Yahoo to teennation
advertising??

hello all,

i figured this is the shoutcast forum, and i also figured there must be a few other shoutcasters out there who advertise to help pay the bills.

i'm wondering if my little scheme here will work: one ad a day, $10 per 15 seconds or $35 for 60 seconds, and that's how high you can go. ?????

i'm going to start using loudcity to license the music, so that's only about $25 a month, and the the streaming will cost about $10 a month (for twenty concurrent listeners). any advise?

anyone want to advertise?

- jake
teennation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2005, 20:24   #2
EazMan

well, you need to base your prices on the average number of lisners you have. No one will pay the $10 if you have an average of one listner.
EazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2005, 20:45   #3
teennation

Send a message via AIM to teennation Send a message via Yahoo to teennation
I've been thinking of starting two streams: a Winamp stream and a Windows Media Player stream. Because in ASX files, you can tell Windows Media Player to open a web site to view while they're listening, I figured I could run some Google ads on a web site with other info and links (like song request, etcetera); but then put audio ads in the Winamp stream. I'm really new to this, so I'm wondering what I should do.
teennation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2005, 22:59   #4
Wavestreaming
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Wavestreaming Send a message via Yahoo to Wavestreaming
Well you're not hearing us out here...

As EazMan said, if you dont have any proof of listener statistics - no one will advertise! People need listener counts first...then you can look at getting some money back.
Wavestreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2005, 23:53   #5
TiredWings

Send a message via ICQ to TiredWings Send a message via AIM to TiredWings Send a message via Yahoo to TiredWings
and back to my post on advertising earlier. If I ran a business and you came to me and said I have 100 listeners and want you to pay $10.00 per ad I would turn you to the door and tell you to hit the street. Local print and broadcast media will provide a better rate per consumer hit then you can offer on here. At $.05 per hit is too much and that would be $5.00 an ad. 100 listener average will cost you $225 a month in bandwith. You would need to bill $3.20 an hour in sales to pay for that. Most radio (what I have my sales exp in) go at about .001 to .005 per listener reached as a rate. At a competative rate you would have to air a 30 second spot at .10, that would be 32 X .10 = 16 minutes of ads. You would really have to be playing some great tunes to get people to sit thru that many commercials. Could get into Arbitron, Drive Time, ect on you, but thats not needed here. If you can get somebody to pay .05 per listener reached you have a live sucker and you should make the best of it. But first you are going to have to come at them with proof you have 100 listeners or more. Build a listenership, then go from there. You are going to have to spend money to make money. Streaming, until bandwidth rates go down, will be stuck in the Legal Pirate Radio Loop where people who love to hear their own voice and play their own music without a program director breathing down their neck will be the norm. The biggest streamer has maybe on a good day 10,000 listeners. A Mom & Pop radio station that barely broke even that I worked at in Beaver Dam, KY had that many listeners. Dont do this to make money. You will end up banging your head against a brick wall. Do this to learn some skills, and have fun. I dont want to beat you down. I always hated people that did that to me when I was young. When you deal with advertising dollars, it becomes an evil cut-throat thing. You would be better off asking from donations

TiredWings (and Im about to hit the air with my ego in check soon)
TiredWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2005, 16:21   #6
Erik713

TW -- Thoughtful post. Thanks for your thoughts as I had many questions I've yet to ask answered in your post
Erik713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 08:06   #7
TiredWings

Send a message via ICQ to TiredWings Send a message via AIM to TiredWings Send a message via Yahoo to TiredWings
Geeze, I was hoping somebody would come in here and tell me Im wrong. Tried to be as obnoxious as I could to get somebody to shoot me down. I was going into this as a business a couple of months back, was gonna have the ultimate playlist, liners, rotation clocks then I got into adding up the $$$ and I still havent thought of a way to turn a decent buck on it. Im still working on loading up my playlist and so forth, but now Im setting this up because The Ego needs feeding, not the wallet. I worked at small Mom and Pop stations and small to medium market stations and the places where I had the most fun were the little bitty stations that didnt have automation software (hell, worked at one station that still used 45's and we had to constantly fight cue burn) and the program director/sales manager/head engineer would go to bed at 9pm so it was "anything goes" after that. Until costs go down, thats what streaming will be like. The Wild, Wild West. Not a thing wrong with it. In fact, its the fun side of broadcasting. Its purest form. Enjoy it, and if you find a way to turn a buck, let me know, cause I will want to know how much to sell my station to Clear Channel for

TiredWings

PS: If it is possible to turn a buck on this, Clear Channel and all those guys with their lawyers will come online and start squeezing the little guys out
TiredWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 08:52   #8
Jay
Moderator Alumni

well it's true, why would someone shoot you down for telling the truth. No one kids themselves about this. If you are in this for the money then you are definately in the wrong industry.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 11:02   #9
jwhalen
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jwhalen
agreed

BUT

if you are crafty and really want to, you can find a way to break even! (sponsorships, inline ads, banners, google ads) It's not hard if you take a moment to make it happen!

but dont ever look for a profit LOL

I think i had an extra $12 at the end of ONE MONTH a year ago LOL

jwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 16:36   #10
DJ AmPs
Major Dude

I think the comparison to terrestial station listenership is not accurate. A 100 slot server can have 1000-10,000 unique listeners throughout the day. A log analyser program such as awstats can provide that info.

The top shoutcast stations with thousands of concurrent listeners probably reach 50,000-100,000 unique listeners each day.

Definately marketable.
DJ AmPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 17:51   #11
Baskido

yep, but theres many more shoutcast stations then what you can acess from your FM or satelite radio.
if people hear too many ads, they'll find a ad-free station.
Like many of those who get free BW from aol, and therefore havent got the huge bills like us. (they still got some bills for licensing, etc. though, but its not comparable to a station who hasnt got free bw)

I'm Back!
Tune In!
Baskido is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions