Old 17th February 2013, 11:21   #1
needhelp12

How to transfer playlists to a different computer

Hey guys,
currently I have all my songs on this 7 yr old desktop. It runs on win xp, and just to take some precaution i decided i'd be moving all my songs on to my laptop (which uses win 7).

I have the playlist files on my computer, and an external harddrive to transfer all my songs from one computer to the other, but i was wondering, how would i make it so that the playlist would adjust for the different destination folders of the songs?

all my songs are currently kept in: C:\Documents and Settings\xxx yyy\Shared
with sub folders inside that directory,

Also,
currently I have a vbs script called ImportM3U which i got because some reason itunes would show a blank playlist when i imported playlist files from winamp to it to sync to my iphone. is this what everyone else does when they want to sync their songs to their ipod/iphones?
To sync my songs, I have to drag the playlist onto this script file and then it does opens iTunes for me and adds the playlist.

Thanks!
needhelp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 13:58   #2
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

On the old PC look in %APPDATA%\Winamp and you will find all the winamp settings. Back this folder up.

(C:\Documents and Settings\xxx yyy\Application data\Winamp\ if you are still on WinXP)

Your playlists are in here.

The "current playlist" is winamp.m3u8 and winampm3u

The rest of the playlists are found in the \plugins\ml\ folder. Again with an *.m3u8 extension.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 17:25   #3
needhelp12

thanks for your reply.

there appear to be no files with a .m3u8 extension, but there are quite a number of playlist files. maybe this is what you were referring to anyway.

my dilemma is something else though. I have the playlist files separately, but i was wondering, if i moved it to a separate computer which is windows 7, along with all my music, wouldn't the playlist file be useless as the destination folder of the songs changes when i put it on my new computer? eg the playlist file recognises my songs are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\xxx yyy\Shared , whereas if i transfer all my songs to the desktop of my new computer the new destination of the songs change from C:\Documents and Settings\xxx yyy\Shared to Desktop. Would this still allow the playlist file to work, or do i have to re-add my songs manually?
Old 17th February 2013, 17:37   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

M3u and M3u8 are both playlist files. Just the latter is compatible with non-ASCII characters. I can't remember which version I had on my XP PCs. (I am also assuming that you have your File Extensions enabled)

Now the trick with these playlists are the fact they are just plain text files. You can open them and edit them in notepad. This will then allow you to correct the paths for your new installation.

Personally I'd use Notepad++ http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ as this excellent tool will allow you to load ALL those play lists up and then do a global search and replace on C:\Documents and Settings\xxx yyy\Shared\ and change that to C:\Users\xxx yyy\Music\Shared\ on your new PC.

If you need any detailed help - just post back here and I'll help at whichever stages you get stuck at.

And yes - on the Windows 7 PC it is a good idea to stick the music in the music folder as then other tools can find it. Example: DLNA built into Windows 7 makes it trivial to share your music collection to a modern TV which is DLNA compatible. If you leave everything on the desktop you will start bogging the system down.
Old 18th February 2013, 01:57   #5
needhelp12

yes, thank you so much!!
Old 18th February 2013, 11:55   #6
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Always happy to help. (When I have the time)
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support