X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrO
    • Sep 2003

when we can we have been saying something on here, but as we've already seen, the first initial idea of a new non-AOL release has already shifted into next year and that's not too helpful when you give updates that then change not long after being made.

and trying to sort out some aspects is just dragging on a lot longer than would liked which after a point means the plan needs to be changed again as then other dates start to conflict or change what is needed e.g. patent expiries or service requirements.

so at the moment, things are vague as there's a lot of unknowns and basing things on those is not helpful since as soon as we don't make it, people will get even crabbier.

so it most likely won't be until we're a lot further down the road that we'll be able to give a more definitive eta. and even then things will slip as that's just what happens as you can plan things as much as you like, there are always unknowns that'll crop up (like the additional work i'm doing on SHOUTcast which is needed to improve things for the new site and API and needed tooling updates - which takes time out from working on Winamp but then something needs to be up and running to be able to a) pay the bills and b) allow us to make Winamp into a fully free option which requires point 'a' to be true).

which is why comments such as the one made by jaripako39 are not helpful and like i mention above, a number of aspects are in others hands at the moment, so even if we had a working version, we wouldn't be able to provide it (just like how and why we're not allowed to officially host the downloads).
    WACUP Project <‖> "Winamp Ramblings" - Indie Winamp Dev Blog

Comment

• djpete
      Major Dude
      • Apr 2004

Well the picture behind the scenes is a lot clearer for me now so. And as you say latest version is great in any case. We can be an ungrateful bunch. We want it all and we want it now. :-)
      Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
      Winamp Enthusiasts Group

Comment

• DrO
        • Sep 2003

i know people want updates (and usually want it yesterday), but we're only just 7.5 months since the last release was made, which based on previous intervals between desktop releases is not that long at all.

sure we might be looking at one of the longest (or possibly) longest interval between desktop updates, but it's not like 5.666 doesn't work (as long as the update patches are applied) and most other issues are long standing or can be worked around if needed (as has generally been the case).

so definitely it'd be nice to have new a version (especially with just the improvements i've documented earlier in this thread - as i don't like going back to testing in my 5.666 install compared to my dev install as the dev install is just a lot quicker on loading), but if it's not done correctly (re: licensing, etc) then that's not going to look good for us or be good for anyone else involved with things.

Comment

• djpete
          Major Dude
          • Apr 2004

Well I'm going to add a few pars explaining all this for the Winamp Enthusiasts Group as I'm sure a lot of people just wouldn't have taken any of this into account. At least they will then have a general reason as to why things seem to have slowed or stopped.
          Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
          Winamp Enthusiasts Group

Comment

• MrSinatra
            Forum King
            • Dec 2004

I have been kind of surprised by the seeming impatience out there, b/c as DrO says, there have been much longer intervals before. I think it may be due by the current need to patch it, at least in some cases, b/c casual users won't even know until they come to the forum.

which gives me an idea! DrO, how about a "node" in the nav tree called "Winamp News" or something like that which basically would be (as one possibility) an RSS feed that would let users know a message is available from the devs or management concerning the app or whatever? this would be a great way to say "dl this patch" or "there is a new version"

my patched 5.666 is working just fine though. its problems are all mostly legacy ones, and while I'm sure some will be addressed by the new ver I expect it to be much the same, save for under the hood improvements as well as going pro to free, which is worthy in its own right. i'll of course upgrade as soon as I see it out there, but I am content to wait and give the Dev[s?] all the time they want.
            PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
            --
            BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
            Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
            Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Comment

• Stephen Strange
              • Jul 2014

Thanks again.

After perusing this thread, I just want to state again how happy I am to have Winamp supported again and worked on or improved.
              I know I might be a clam amongst a sea of crabs, but there it is.
              Besides, what is there it loose? If this doesn't work out for me (and I have no reason to think that) then I will just go back to my original Winamp final saved versions and no problem. I paid for a pro key way back when, but so what? I did it more to support the developers than to get features, although there are some features I definitely use.

Some people just like to complain I guess.

Comment

• Calrobowiz
                • May 2003

Avs

No to sure if there is a thread on this or maybe it has all ready been discussed, but will AVS be updated? AVS is quite unstable on the last few PCs I have built since about 2009 or so. Well it works fine for awhile, but after an hour or so of running AVS it locks up winamp. I love AVS and it makes me want to do some drugs and such but the mathematical art that goes into creating "presets" is what is so intriguing to me. It may help if you actually know math but I made some bad ass squiggly seizure lines by typing in some random numbers back in ye old high school times. I miss el-vis. Must be in los Vegas. But no really I hope that project will keep going on. Don't let AVS die.

On as Side note I love to see winamp not going to waste. It seems to be in good hands and please do take your time in redevelopment, We don't need another winamp 3. Please keep it up. I love it. Period. Well Even though the fucking track length is off by at least a hundredth of a Nano second. Just as a warning if you download winamp, your pc may be able to play mp3s while using little system resources. What cleans up troll blood the best?

Comment

• wernerml
                  • Nov 2010

YEAH! This is a MUST!

Originally Posted by blackhalo View Post
                  Ultimate ML Plugin:

I beg of you... if there's any future development of Winamp...
                  please integrate this type of file browser into the core software.

Please, please, please expand on this basic usability concept.
                  YEAH!!! for me it's a MUST!
                  it has to be done!!!

Comment

• DrO
                    • Sep 2003

Calrobowiz: AVS was open sourced years ago, there's been little interest (or skills) in working on it and based on it not working on anything after XP all that well (since that's the last OS which supports everything it needs), then you could say AVS is already dead and has been that way for a long time.

it's not been the default visualisation plug-in in Winamp for years and unless it could be changed to not rely on DirectDraw (which is likely to be a pain to do even if someone wanted to do it), AVS is unlikely to ever see anything much more in its future. even the version which Justin created wasn't liked by the AVS stalwarts and if his version isn't liked, there's no chance for anyone else.

that and the fallacies that to get AVS to work correctly requires v5.58 (which is a load of tripe as it's just the AVS version at fault and not the Winamp version), the most you're going to see happen with AVS is it's maintained as a separate download for those wanting it, but it is very unlikely now that AVS will remain in the full Winamp installer (it's not stable, and that's not what should be present in the main installer).

wernerml: if there is already a working plug-in, then it doesn't necessarily need to be natively done, (and as has been covered already) there's a hell of a lot of other things that need to be done before such things could even be considered.

Comment

• Calrobowiz
                      • May 2003

Ah Nice good to know. I was kind of wondering why it didn't run to well for awhile now. Makes since because I noticed once vista came out but it was vista...

Comment

• LlamaLadySG
                        • Sep 2012

Originally Posted by QOAL View Post
                        Click the backside of the first llama on the page.
                        That is not a llama sound; llamas don't bleat. Llamas make a wide variety of noises, the most common of which is a hum, whine, or groan (depending on the pitch). They also have a unique alarm call (rather like a cross between a whinny and a bray) and the males "orgle" constantly while mating (which may last as long as 45 minutes. When fighting, the males make the type of sound one might imagine an angry dinosaur would make. A variety of llama sound clips can be found at http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Llama_sounds_audio. Frankly, the only reason I've stuck with Winamp (and it is losing ground on ability to subscribe to podcasts), is because of the llama logo. I hope the new improved Winamp will be more robust and use a more standardized means of allowing one to subscribe to podcasts. I really don't want to switch to iTunes.

Comment

• Aminifu
                          Forum King
                          • Aug 2011

Wow, a real llama expert.

I'm confident any podcast issues will be looked into when time allows.
                          Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
                          Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• DrO
                            • Sep 2003

Originally Posted by LlamaLadySG View Post
                            Frankly, the only reason I've stuck with Winamp (and it is losing ground on ability to subscribe to podcasts), is because of the llama logo. I hope the new improved Winamp will be more robust and use a more standardized means of allowing one to subscribe to podcasts. I really don't want to switch to iTunes.
                            you'll need to provide examples of podcasts that you are having issues with. as only RSS versions are supported so maybe its one of the other formats which you're trying to add but without an example link I cannot be used if its expected to not import or if you've stumbled upon an unknown bug.

Comment

• Juanus
                              Major Dude
                              • Oct 2004

Originally Posted by DrO View Post
                              you'll need to provide examples of podcasts that you are having issues with. as only RSS versions are supported so maybe its one of the other formats which you're trying to add but without an example link I cannot be used if its expected to not import or if you've stumbled upon an unknown bug.
                              Since we are on the subject...
                              I use Winamp for all of my RSS podcasts. But I have noticed that sometimes winamp doesn't pull over the metadata that is in the podcast. If I download that same podcast from Itunes, the file has metadata in it. (artist, title, notes etc.)
                              Currently I am at work so I don't have a specific example for you, but I will have one later if you need it. Plus I don't know if this is just me or everyone.

Comment

• CaptainPedge
                                • Jul 2014

Originally Posted by DrO View Post
                                and i expect that point is likely to annoy some people and they'll likely demand a refund but i don't know how that could be done when we have no means to track pro versions anymore and all of the pro licenses were paid to AOL/partners at the time.
                                If it makes you feel any better DrO, I am a pro owner, and I assumed when I bought it, that my license was for v5 and when 6.00 eventually came alone I'd have to pay again. I am completely not upset about the new version being one version and getting everything without paying more

Comment

Working...
                                X