Old 8th February 2019, 16:27   #1
MourningStar

Winamp 5.8 - WACUP Confusion

Winamp has been my number 1 since damn-near the beginning (~2000) and thru-out the Windows evolution I experienced virtually no show-stopping issues. I have found all solutions to my issues posted here, thus no need to personally post. For this I am most grateful to this site and community. Over the years I came here less and less and only recently, with a plug-in issue, have returned to discover increased activity.

I have learned of the existence of WACUP as well as the development and release of Winamp 5.8!?! (did a 5.7 totally escape me?). My current, and perhaps flawed, understanding is that WACUP is a Winamp community effort to provide continuing life (via what seems to be a clone) to the what-I-had-thought death of Winamp, only to discover a 'resurrection' of my beloved Winamp.

What is the story and which way do I go?

-thx
MourningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 17:24   #2
ryerman
Major Dude

https://getwacup.com/blog/index.php/...inamp-related/
https://getwacup.com/
https://getwacup.com/community/index.php
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxa851vAJtI

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 18:19   #3
MourningStar

^
1st link very helpful, tho heavily slanted in WACUP's favor (naturally) - thank you
2nd link - no help
3rd link - no help
4th link - mistake? goes to music video
Old 8th February 2019, 18:33   #4
ariszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
2nd link - no help
3rd link - no help
It is not that easy to guess who finds helpful what. Those links are helpful to those who want to know more about WACUP after reading the first link.
Quote:
4th link - mistake? goes to music video
The answer is in the title of the song: choose whichever you prefer. Go on your way.
ariszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 18:57   #5
MourningStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariszlo View Post
It is not that easy to guess who finds helpful what. Those links are helpful to those who want to know more about WACUP after reading the first link.
The content of the first link was very detailed and rendered the next 2 links non-sequitur. I assume the 4th link, then, was an attempt at sarcasm/humor.

Now, to hear from the Winamp side ... anyone?
Old 8th February 2019, 20:22   #6
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

Quote:

Now, to hear from the Winamp side ... anyone?
how about starting here
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=453675

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 20:34   #7
MourningStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post
Already been there. Not much in the way of addressing the OP, however, there was a bit of real humor there involving the banning of a member.

Where to next?
Old 8th February 2019, 20:46   #8
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

How about just reading sticky threads with news and how winamp works or just simply find out yourself

you don't really expect to get it all handed over on a silver plate ?

straight from the forum rules and guidelines

Suggestions
In the attempt to create a compromise where everyone is happy, the following suggestions are also recommended:

1. Use common sense. Anything that you say or do carries consequences with it. If you find yourself questioning the nature of what you.re going to post, then it.s probably not safe to post it. Save yourself trouble and ourselves time, think before you post.

2. Always be civil and courteous. This forum is visited by people from all over the world of different ages, genders, and races. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Also, see Flaming, Right to Privacy, and Racism.

3. Make sure that your message topics fit the topic description of the forum that you are posting in. This is for your own benefit - for example, a question regarding a Winamp problem will get a better (and probably quicker) response in Winamp Technical Support, than it would in General Discussions.

4. Use the search function before posting, particularly if the question is problem oriented. Most technical questions have been answered before, and solutions are freely available. Also, Tech Support Greatest Hits contains a compilation of the most commonly asked technical support questions.

5. Make sure that you have followed #1 and #4 before posting

6. Read the sticky threads at the top of each forum - they are there for a reason, and generally contain information relevant to the forum that they are in.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 21:16   #9
MourningStar

^
been there, done that.

as per the 1st link from ryerman's post (#2) has there been any reaction to it from Winamp 'officialdom'? Is the Winamp community, as a whole, migrating to WACUP? I fully support desktop evolution.
Old 9th February 2019, 01:22   #10
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
.. has there been any reaction to it from Winamp 'officialdom'?
The reaction you may find is in this forum (that is, close to none). In fact, Winamp officialdom doesn't exist really, the 5 years hiatus (between Winamp's acquisition and 5.8 beta release) did make a stab into the community, with most users leaving to somehow-maintained solutions or even forking their own project (like DrO's WACUP).

Quote:
Is the Winamp community, as a whole, migrating to WACUP? I fully support desktop evolution.
WACUP is maintained by a single person, so its development is slow, a public release only saw the light recently, though it was being worked on during the last years (having to reverse-engineer Winamp is a big part of the obstacle).
If you ask me, WACUP is the closest to the original Winamp spirit you will get now and probably for the next years, but is far far away from being adopted as the general public usually does on "official" releases.

Obvious advice is to test for yourself and balance pros and cons of each. If you're fine with Winamp as it is (be that 5.8 beta or 5.666), stick with it. If you think there are ways Winamp can improve (within the power of one man, that is), get on with WACUP. If you hesitate, have both installed, they do get along together.

Ps: 5.7 never got out of beta, and was eventually nuked due to the demise of its main feature; "Winamp cloud". You may find the installer out there but is actually a version older than 5.666, it was abandoned and a looot of security patches and fixes were only done for 5.666.
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2019, 02:38   #11
MourningStar

Thank you Victhor for stepping up to the plate. There does not seem to be violent enthusiasm for my beloved Winamp and from what I glean, I liken it to being in ICU with tubes and probes and IV's and beeping monitors and suction motors everywhere to such a degree that the patient is barely visible somewhere within. However, overlooking and detouring around the frequent arrogance and elitism of a few, the site is still the hands-down goto support location and, alas, that is all the future may hold for it imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
... they do get along together. ...
So far this is very true. I have them installed separately and will stick around here, as well as provide whatever I can to help the WACUP effort along, as it is over there where I am finding the enthusiasm and civil community camaraderie.
Old 9th February 2019, 17:12   #12
Marcos

Thank you for the first 3 links. Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac is the only version worthy of the name btw.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion