Old 25th August 2017, 19:12   #121
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK. View Post

1) where is the difference between button.onLeftClick() and button.onLeftClickDown(int x,int y)?

I can't believe I know these ones... (I'm learning a lot with my Modern Bento heh).

button.onLeftClick() computes the entire "clicking" action, meaning pressing the button AND releasing it.

button.onLeftButtonDown
computes ONLY when you press the mouse button (it can be used to do stuff in conjunction with button.onLeftButtonUp -that would be "releasing"-).

Quote:
2) does someone know how to use the command guiObject.onMouseOver(int x,int y) properly? I tried to show a <layer> while the mouse pointer was over a button but nothing happened.

I'm not sure about the exact function of this one, but what is usually used to do what you want is guiObject.onEnterArea() /
guiObject.onLeaveArea().

A lot of the skinning / scripting functions like these can be found in your std.mi* file (and corresponding ones, like lib/pldir.mi for Playlist stuff and so on..).

*Usually found on your compiler folder.

Quote:
By the way: someone likes Quinto.

Awesome! Not only one of your skins is there, but 2!! Congrats!!

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 19:42   #122
PeterK.

Thank you for the clarification. It's time to clean up some scripts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
A lot of the skinning / scripting functions like these can be found in your std.mi* file (and corresponding ones, like lib/pldir.mi for Playlist stuff and so on..).
Vic! The std.mi file is my Winamp/Quinto BIBLE! ... and the wiki page of course. What a pity that so many of those numerous options/features/commands are not explained.
Quote:
Awesome! Not only one of your skins is there, but 2!! Congrats!!
Yay! Word finally got out.
PeterK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 19:51   #123
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:

Yay! Word finally got out.
You really need to add a PayPal donation link to the skin.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2017, 15:38   #124
PeterK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
You really need to add a PayPal donation link to the skin.
And what about a Bitcoin donation button?

Benefits of using BitCoin:

● Pay and be paid without transaction fees
● Send and receive money around the world within seconds
● BitCoin provides better privacy than most online currencies
● Simple transactions - you only need a BitCoin address to send and receive money
● no "middleman" (= bank) within a transaction between two bitcoin addresses
Old 27th August 2017, 16:53   #125
PeterK.

As far as the upcoming Offline Lyrics window is concerned, the user will have to create the lyrics text files on his own by adding the default_lyrics.html to the particular music folder of his choice and copying it as many times as there are music files. Afterwards he will need to rename every file so the *.html files have exactly the same names as the music files do.

With some help from uncle Google I made a batch file which creates and renames text files in the folder of your choice fully automatically. In addition to this every text file will include the command lines needed for the proper display in the Lyrics window.

The new procedure of creation an offline lyrics file would now look like the following:

1. grab the batch file.
3. paste it into a music folder.
4. double click it.

Finished!

The last part of the job would be:

1. find lyrics on the Internet
2. copy and paste the lyrics into a text file.
3. save the file, change the extension from .txt to .html

Kinda cool, huh?
Old 28th August 2017, 19:48   #126
PeterK.

Quote:

button.onLeftClick() computes the entire "clicking" action, meaning pressing the button AND releasing it.

button.onLeftButtonDown
computes ONLY when you press the mouse button (it can be used to do stuff in conjunction with [FONT=Verdana]button.onLeftButtonUp -that would be "releasing"-).

We must be very careful while using those commands.

I know that there are absolutely no "fancy" actions in my skin while releasing the mouse buttons, so I decided to make things easier and replaced .onLeftClickDown(int,x int y) with .onLeftClick() in the script files.

During the compilation process the compiler could not stop complaining. And why? Because objects like AlbumArt, Notifier and Timer, for which I would use a mouse button, ARE NOT BUTTONS. These are guiObjects.

After this tiny faux-pas I think it is safe to say, that we can use .onLeftClickDown(int x, int y) on both: buttons and guiObjects but .onLeftClick() on buttons only!
Old 1st September 2017, 15:40   #127
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
We must be very careful while using those commands.

I made a nice living for decades, designing and coding software. It was challenging and fun (with and without good documentation to explain things), but it's things like this that make me glad I'm not doing it anymore. However, I'm very happy that others are still doing it. Keep up the good work, PeterK.

Old 2nd September 2017, 08:47   #128
PeterK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Keep up the good work, PeterK.
I am much obliged for the encouraging words from you Aminifu.

@Victhor: within your Komodo skin there is an option which allows to download wallpapers. Do you know how to open a new window and send it immediately to the back of all opened containers/windows/plug-ins?

Yes, I know there is the .bringToBack() command, but it applies to guiObjects only. As soon as I use it with a <container> I would get an error message, and using it in combination with an <layout> does not show any results (which does not surprise me since neither a <container> nor a <layout> is a guiObject).
Old 2nd September 2017, 19:20   #129
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
..within your Komodo skin there is an option which allows to download wallpapers. Do you know how to open a new window and send it immediately to the back of all opened containers/windows/plug-ins?
Mmmm... there isn't an ideal method, or a straight one, because of 2 things: 1. Winamp doesn't have a way to interact with the specific content of a web page and 2. DeviantArt, where those wallpapers are, has different download methods, some have a .zip file with different resolutions and some just open a bigger pic.

There is a trick though, which does something close enough I think, if you don't want to leave Winamp:
- Open the Wallpapers downloads page (the Web+ feature actually).
- Open the desired wallpaper on the best possible resolution (it may open a new IE window).
- Copy the URL of that pic (either by right click or Ctrl+C or whatever).
- Paste the URL in the Open Dialog in the Backgrounds page of Komodo (like if you were to select a new wallpaper, but instead of selecting one, you just paste the URL) and hit enter / open.
- Voilá!*

*(downside of it is that it will connect to internet for every Winamp session)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 2nd September 2017, 19:41   #130
PeterK.

I am sorry Victhor, I should have explained my question more precisely.

I would like to add a new context menu option called Wallpaper. User would click on it and a wallpaper would appear on the desktop. The trouble here is that according to an unwritten computer science law, the last window is ALWAYS ON TOP AND HAS FOCUS. Exactly the same happens when I open a window in Winamp. My wish is quite the opposite. I would like to open such a window (= wallpaper here) and Winamp would send it to the back - between the desktop and all Winamp components, so the wallpaper window would not cover any running components.
Old 16th September 2017, 09:34   #131
PeterK.

As I already mentioned I added a close button next to the content area in the "About" window following the advice of many users.

In addition to that I also made the entire window immovable. Yes I did remember to do so in the 1.4 version by adding the command move="0" to the <layout>. Too bad I did not realize that this particular line only applies to the transparent background and not to the entire window, which made grabbing the content area and moving the window possible, what, in my opinion, should not be happening. So now also the content area is fixed.

And there is a subtle shadow which I added to the needles in the analog VU Meter:

I hope you like it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	needle-shadow.PNG
Views:	228
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	53529  
Old 18th September 2017, 23:14   #132
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
And there is a subtle shadow which I added to the needles in the analog VU Meter..
Obsessive designer's question: Does the shadow move accordingly with the needle? Or it stays on the right side always? (I'm asking mainly to see if you would solve it as I would.. heh)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 19th September 2017, 07:24   #133
PeterK.

Quote:
...Does the shadow move accordingly with the needle? Or it stays on the right side always?
I have to disappoint you Victhor, but this is just a fake shadow which always stays on the right side of the needle regardless to the needle's position. (so it moves with the needle - but it keeps its position on the right side since both the needle and the shadow are in the same layer of the same bitmap)
Old 20th September 2017, 16:40   #134
PeterK.

I just discovered a small bug regarding the Album Cover window. After setting a particular size, say, 300x300 pixel, and moving the window "around" the "checked-sign" disappears. You have to click again in order to get it back. Hmmm....
Old 20th September 2017, 17:28   #135
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
I have to disappoint you Victhor, but this is just a fake shadow which always stays on the right side of the needle regardless to the needle's position. (so it moves with the needle - but it keeps its position on the right side since both the needle and the shadow are in the same layer of the same bitmap)
(Forgot to reply before) I think I have a solution.. try it just for fun if you want. May not be elegant, but it does its job;
- Duplicate the needle and set it to work just like the actual - working one (may need some coding duplicating).
- This needle dupe should look basically like the shadow of the needle (see attach).
- Place it behind the main one and give it a different radius* so it starts more on the left side, and reach the right side more to the right.
- Voilá.

*Maybe the coding part is a pain on the ass, I've just realized the speed and sensitivity is configurable.. but in the end, the effect may be worth it if it achieves a higher realism..

PS: this is all asuming the light is on the center of the VU Meter, like seen on current graphics.
Attached Images

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 20th September 2017, 18:31   #136
PeterK.

Quote:
...I think I have a solution..

Thank you for your contribution Victhor. Yes, it sounds like an easy fix, what you are suggesting.

My two cents to your proposition:

1) the shadow looks definitely much better on the blue and brown background ...

rather than on the beige one:

You might ask: where is the shadow on the beige scale background at all. It is there but so subtle in its appearance that you can hardly see it. And the plausible reason for that is the fact that making the shadow darker makes automatically the needle look much wider and thicker - just ugly! So creating a realistic shadow in here could end up in a very unrealistic looking needles. And we definitely do not want that, do we?

So far you only have seen "static" screenshots. I can assure you: you will not notice whether the shadow is moving with the needle or at its own speed once a music file is played and the needles "hit the beat". Believe me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VU-shadow-blue.png
Views:	176
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	53541   Click image for larger version

Name:	VU-shadow-beige.png
Views:	170
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	53542  
Old 21st September 2017, 14:35   #137
PeterK.

Quote:
I just discovered a small bug regarding the Album Cover window.
Fixed.
Old 21st September 2017, 15:18   #138
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
..You might ask: where is the shadow on the beige scale background at all. It is there but so subtle in its appearance that you can hardly see it..
Actually you could've use your shadow gfx, mine was just to lllustrate the idea. I imagined it would be hard to make it look good though (black shadow behind a black needle? Hmm...), but I think I succeeded on implanting the idea on your mind for the next time .

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 21st September 2017, 15:40   #139
PeterK.

Quote:
...but I think I succeeded on implanting the idea on your mind for the next time .

Do you know how this procedure is called? Inception!

By the way: please remember that the needle shadow is actually created by the (virtual) outside light source, which as well makes the reflections on both scale glasses. It is not the light within the scales. Hence, the shadow position is not that wrong in my opinion.
Old 22nd September 2017, 16:48   #140
PeterK.

I made the LEDs look a little bit more realistic:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	led.png
Views:	150
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	53543  
Old 22nd September 2017, 19:06   #141
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Hmmm.. That sort of flare is really hard to do, and TBH I don't think is better now. Maybe aiming to something like MMD3's leds more simple glowing is better?
Attached Images

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 24th September 2017, 15:39   #142
PeterK.

Quote:
Hmmm.. That sort of flare is really hard to do, and TBH I don't think is better now. Maybe aiming to something like MMD3's leds more simple glowing is better?

I am glad to hear an opinion, but I must admit I like it this way. The LED on my loudspeaker looks this way (and I love it) so I thought it was a good idea to have the LEDs on my skin glow the same way. Sort of...
Old 24th September 2017, 15:58   #143
PeterK.

I forgot to mention that I was looking for a good looking shadow for the needles the other day and accidentally found a great looking template for an analog VU Meter. The search for the font family was not successful but I found another one which looks almost the same:

The funny thing is that the new VU Meter font was made by pizzadude whose font I have been already using for songinfo. I think it is time I sent him a mail and said thank you. Don't you think?

P.S. I remember sending him a mail back in 2011 but he never replied. Maybe this time. And it also would be a good idea to contat Boris, the creator of the Monopoint Font, which I bought from him also in 2011 for the first Quinto version, so he can update the screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VU Font.png
Views:	131
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	53550  
Old 25th September 2017, 21:53   #144
ariszlo

In about.m, urlButtonWinaero calls "download.page.id" but there is no "download.page.id" in about.xml.
ariszlo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 06:12   #145
PeterK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariszlo View Post
In about.m, urlButtonWinaero calls "download.page.id" but there is no "download.page.id" in about.xml.
Yes, because initially there were two buttons: FORUM and DOWNLOAD PAGE. But then I decided to keep only FORUM button and forgot to delete the corresponding lines in script and elements.xml
Old 6th October 2017, 14:37   #146
PeterK.

Before the upcoming release of the version 1.5 I would like to share with you just three short notices:

1) When you look at the MainPlayer you will notice that I placed the letter "L" over "R" next to the digital VU Meter under the Timer. It is just because this seems to be the standard due to pretty all digital meters which I have seen on the Internet: the left chanel above the right one.

2) As you may remember I changed the look of the scales of the analog VU Meter adding a new very nice font. And according to a VU Meter template which I found it was necessary to modify the NULL which is black now and not red anymore. The corresponding NULL on the digital VU Meter also changed its color to black (actually white, I know )

3) I also modified the background color of the scales and the lamp source, which I detached from the background and which now gets off as soon as the playback is stopped:

Stay tuned ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VU Meters.png
Views:	100
Size:	557.5 KB
ID:	53578  
Old 8th October 2017, 03:46   #147
Aminifu
Forum King

Very nice VU meter update. This skin keeps looking better and better!

Old 8th October 2017, 14:34   #148
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Glad to see you keep working on it!! =)

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 10th October 2017, 17:40   #149
PeterK.

Quote:
Glad to see you keep working on it!! =)
I wish I could stop, but I can't!

Just kidding, skinning is the perfect combination of hard work and fun! And since I cannot make any reports about hard work (would be pretty boring) let me make a report about having fun.

I have been thinking. There is this post made by Aminifu in which he points to the aspect of having correct colors on PLAY, PAUSE and STOP buttons on a music player. OK, on one side we must allow the designer to follow his fantasy and his fantasy only. On the other side it is obvious and understandable that many users demand the colors they are used to on such important components. Could you imagine a car with blue stop lights?

After this short introduction I would like to show you my new addition to the background color of the buttons PLAY, PAUSE and STOP on Winamp's windows:

This color correction gives not only the right "sense" for the function of each of them but also creates a more realistic depth feeling. Can you see it?

According to this scheme I changed the colors of the playback status signs on the MainPlayer too.

And now please do me a favour and do not ask why I did not change the colors on the MainPlayer in exactly the same way. You see, the MainPlayer is the car with those blue stop lights. And this looks sooo good ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	playback - colors.png
Views:	66
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	53582  
Old 11th October 2017, 15:26   #150
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

The real artists never can stop, if they want to have everything 100% perfect, and I am one of these artists...

I have worked again on my overview-tutorials for artists, and then I have discovered, I have forgotten 1 .txt-file. PeterK., You have reminded me, that I should add also Inkscape and Notepad++ to my descriptions, and again I have updated my journal on deviantART.

I want to hold the version 1.5 in my hands soon...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 18:11   #151
PeterK.

Hello Sabine and welcome to this thread. It is nice to have also a feminine opinion about my work. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine Klare View Post
I want to hold the version 1.5 in my hands soon...
Although I do not have influence on the exactly release date I am sure we are going to have a new version published end of this week/beginning of the next one.
Old 11th October 2017, 19:32   #152
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:

This color correction gives not only the right "sense" for the function of each of them but also creates a more realistic depth feeling. Can you see it?

Yes, I can see it quite clearly.

As for a car with blue stop lights, I can imagine it. However, in the US it won't be "street legal" and could only be driven on private property.

Old 11th October 2017, 23:00   #153
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
..in which he points to the aspect of having correct colors on PLAY, PAUSE and STOP buttons on a music player. OK, on one side we must allow the designer to follow his fantasy and his fantasy only.
Good designers won't follow "his fantasy", they follow "structure" and "coherence" with the design language / code being implemented :P .

Applying traffic lights rule / concept to a design language is as valid as any other, but it doesn't make much sense if you betray yourself and suddenly on another part of the skin you start following other rule / concept..

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Old 12th October 2017, 02:22   #154
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Good designers won't follow "his fantasy", they follow "structure" and "coherence" with the design language / code being implemented :P .

Applying traffic lights rule / concept to a design language is as valid as any other, but it doesn't make much sense if you betray yourself and suddenly on another part of the skin you start following other rule / concept..
Good points Victhor, imo.

I'm not sure if you approve of what PeterK. has done or if you are referring to yourself. In either case, it's all to the good from my pov. Following structure is useful, but it's also ok to shake things up (break the 'rules') from time to time.

Old Yesterday, 18:46   #155
PeterK.

Aminifu asked me the other day if I was planing on activating the peak indicator on the analog VU Meter. Yes I was thinking about such possibility but assumed that PEAK applies to the peak value +3 only. Obviously I was mistaken.

So here it is: blinking peak indicator:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	peak.png
Views:	14
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	53591  
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins

Tags
color theme, modern skin, peterk, quinto black, victhor