Old 24th September 2017, 04:41   #1
Kemo

Stream cutting in and out.

Everything has been fine until last weekend and tonight. While streaming from my laptop, the songs playing are cutting in and out. I've been broadcasting since Jan. and never had a problem with it until now.

I'm in the middle of a show at the moment, and it's cutting in and out. I'm running Winamp with ShoutCast Source DSP v.2.3.5 [Build 222] on a Windows 10 Laptop.
Like I said, I haven't had any problems for the past several months until recently.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?
Kemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 12:46   #2
neralex

Can you give us more details about your setup? If you are posting only infos about your local computer, how we should know what is going around you.

Do you use an hosted DNAS or do you streaming to RMO, which broadband connection you are using with your laptop (LAN/WLAN) and do you checked this (upload speed, router settings) to close out local issues, do you checked the CPU usage / perfomance of your laptop while you are getting theses issues (high CPU usage can break outgoing network connections), do you tried another streaming-clients...
neralex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 20:22   #3
Kemo

I'm streaming to the ShoutCast RMO. I've been monitoring my CPU usage and nothing has changed. I've been using the same exact setup since I've started.

I've had no problems streaming through my wifi before last week. I used to be able to stream and use my laptop with no issues at the same time. Last night, I disconnected my computer from the wifi and used the LAN. Still had the same problem whether it's on LAN or WLAN.

I have not tried to use any other stream service. Only the ShoutCast plug in for the last release of Winamp.

I'm running a dual-core processor with 8GB of RAM. My laptop runs very smooth while streaming.
Old 24th September 2017, 21:19   #4
radio230

hello kemo,

i'm getting the same problem on my radio : radio230

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=451771
radio230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 22:38   #5
dopelabs

Send a message via AIM to dopelabs
the most common cause for the problems you are experiencing are some type of network latency/packet loss between you and the DNAS. network conditions can change at any time for any number of reasons...

a switch or a router somewhere is failing or in a bad state
any of the links along the path become saturated
some idiot with a backhoe digs through a trunk of fiber and the new route you have to take isnt as good
bad weather causing utility lines to sway and eventually over time things can jiggle loose
maybe your windows is compromised as they tend to do by some malware or legit app thats decided to use upstream network resources...

you can try changing the wifi password or disabling wifi all together and testing again. this way you can be sure there arent any other devices on the network that could be hogging the bandwidth. something as simple as having an iphone that has icloud enabled and taking a picture can cause the stream to buffer as the photos are pushed to icloud servers as you take them since it will use all available bandwidth to upload.

i have never recommended using wifi for broadcasting. from what i have experienced in the ~2 decades ive been doing this stuff, ive only seen wifi work, and be stable without any interruptions or buffers a handful of times.. thus ive always made it a mandatory requirement that my djs use a hardline. much less hassle.

one of the best tools you can use to see what network path your taking to get from your home to the DNAS is called MTR. there are versions for every OS available. *osx and *nix will be available via command line. windows has a gui version you can use..i think its called winmtr... this tool combines ping and traceroute and will show you the ping times and any loss of every hop between you and the the DNAS. you can easily spot any hops that are causing problems if they have high loss, latency, or high deviation/jitter. if you notice any problems you can report them to your ISP. if they do their job correctly and can also reproduce the results, they should open a trouble ticket for their network engineers or escalate the issue to their upstream provider(s)

you can also try taking your laptop to another location (preferably a different ISP) and try testing a broadcast from there. or try going through a proxy or vpn so that the path is different.

and even though technology advances every day, many of the methods remain the same... turn it off and on again. try power cycling all network equipment that you have access to between you and the DNAS. make sure you fully disconnect the power source until any and all status LED's go dark for a few seconds. then power everything back on sequentially starting at the outer most device and working your way back to your local machine.

also, be patient. sometimes if there are network problems, it may take some time for them to coordinate hardware replacements or repairs or for them to track down any configuration errors, etc.. most times things will work themselves out if its issue is causing major problems. many ISP's will not work in a proactive manor, and basically rely on their customer base to start reporting problems before they will even notice or investigate.

lastly this could also be a simple case of oversubscription or server problems on the DNAS end. many providers will oversubscribe so they can rake in more $$$. unfortunately its the customer that sees the negative impact when inevitably one or more of their clients gets popular, everyone else suffers.
dopelabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 00:55   #6
Kemo

@dopelabs Thank you for the help. I'll run through some of the things you suggested. I'm a computer tech, so I understand your reasonings.

I've been broadcasting last night's show for the past hour or so on my wifi and have had a couple of hiccups so far. I wanted to rule out my laptop as a reason.

I've also noticed other people starting to post about cutting in and out, so I'm still thinking it's on ShoutCasts side.
Old 25th September 2017, 01:37   #7
dopelabs

ya you should run mtr and see what the results are...
Old 25th September 2017, 01:49   #8
Kemo

I got about an 1 hour and a half into the broadcast replay tonight before the cutting out got really bad. I also noticed that when it did happen, the song titles on my player were completely wrong..whereas they worked perfectly fine for that first hour and a half.

This is a crazy situation.
Old 25th September 2017, 03:06   #9
CodedMinds

I'm streaming to the ShoutCast RMO. I've tried multiple softwares, DNS encoders and so on, I have now attempted to broadcast from 3 separate devices with different connections (current renting a windows dedicated server). I am still getting the same results, encoders setup correctly but audio just keeps cutting out frequently but no errors or known issues with connection. Please help!
CodedMinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 03:13   #10
CodedMinds

NOTE:
I can verify that's its not any of my devices or connections as I stream with no audio drops to 5 separate services outside of shoutcast. I also stream a video feed with the same exact audio content to twitch, youtube, smashcast, mixer, and my website. And no dropouts, This has been going on for days and Id like to get my radio off the ground with a stable stream. I choose shoutcast as I have always been a loyal customer even back when it was owned by AOL, Id like to see this repaired or resolved and at least an explanation as to why so many are experiencing this.
Old 25th September 2017, 06:00   #11
dopelabs

from the reports its definitely looking like its on the shoutcast side, or one of their upstream providers. can anyone pm me your stream url and what country the source stream is originating from? the more i have the easier it will be to identify exactly where the problem is.

also keep in mind that the DNAS server software is free to download and install. if you shop around you can probably find a vps with enough bandwidth quota to support your needs for $20 bucks or less a month. even less if you pay for a year at a time.. prob under $10 bucks a month.
Old 26th September 2017, 00:41   #12
Kemo

Okay. I've tried streaming from 3 different locations, all with the same result also. I'm glad to know that it's more than likely on the Shoutcast side. Hopefully they can get it fixed soon.

Dopelabs, I only stream on Sat nights, do you still want my stream link?
Old 27th September 2017, 13:45   #13
dopelabs

well all i need is the server that its on. dont even need the port number
Old 27th September 2017, 16:20   #14
Kemo

Okay. I've been running streams for the past 3 days, all starting at different times. And I've noticed the heavy cutting out starts between 9:20pm and 9:30pm EST. It's happened all 3 days that I've been streaming. It cuts out for about 20-30 mins, then plays fine. And starts again.

The ShoutCast server I'm using is the default setup they give you when you sign up:
master.shoutcast.com
Old 27th September 2017, 21:19   #15
dopelabs

wow ok so that will prob either resolve to master1.shoutcast.com or master2.shoutcast.com which are both in france. so right away if you are stateside, your at the mercy of the the link across the pond, which can easily get saturated.

cant believe that shits in france. im in silicon vallye and my route takes me to san francisco, chicago, new jersey, then across the water. im currently seeing 95% packet loss at the chicago hop.

code:

Host Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev
1. 127.0.0.1 0.0% 228 0.5 0.5 0.4 1.9 0.1
2. 107-218-152-1.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net 0.0% 228 5.4 58.2 1.8 337.3 88.4
3. 71.148.149.68 0.0% 228 1.7 1.8 1.2 6.6 0.7
4. 71.145.1.40 0.0% 228 1.7 1.8 1.3 11.3 0.9
5. 12.83.39.213 0.0% 228 2.8 4.7 2.6 8.1 1.0
6. gar23.sffca.ip.att.net 0.0% 228 7.2 4.6 2.6 8.4 1.1
7. 192.205.32.210 73.6% 228 1959. 729.3 4.9 4401. 853.3
8. ae-1-3507.ear4.Chicago2.Level3.net 95.2% 228 53.3 75.8 53.3 298.8 74.0
9. chi-1-a9.il.us 0.0% 228 53.6 53.6 53.3 55.4 0.2
10. be100-1000.nwk-5-a9.nj.us 0.0% 228 70.9 76.8 70.0 307.3 25.9
11. ???
12. vl1308.sbg-g1-a75.fr.eu 0.0% 228 154.1 154.2 154.0 155.7 0.2
13. be50-5.sbg-4b-a9.routeurs.fr.eu 0.0% 228 153.6 154.1 153.3 164.1 0.9
14. master2.shoutcast.com 0.0% 228 154.4 154.3 154.1 156.0 0.1

Old 27th September 2017, 21:28   #16
CodedMinds

Guess this is what ya get when you take there free services, Ya get shit on just like they shit on us when the discontinued winamp and all.
Old 28th September 2017, 10:55   #17
dopelabs

i dont think that winamp is discontinued. and the problem hop on the above trace is completely out of shoutcast's control. i am more shocked those servers are in france, and im really surprised there hasnt been more reports
Old 30th September 2017, 09:15   #18
Soulmaster

Well i've got the same troubles from the Netherlands.. non stop buffering. on my on shoutcast server no problems but on the Shoutcast RMO it's horror time.. lost almost al my listeners ( 500+) because of this problem..
Soulmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2017, 18:12   #19
hridoyrdx

WINAMP lOVER

Free Download Winamp

Download pc software from Pc Software
hridoyrdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2017, 03:34   #20
Kemo

I'm in the middle of my Saturday night show, and it just started cutting out after being on for an hour and 20 mins or so.

So goddamn annoying.
Old 1st October 2017, 04:27   #21
Kemo

Okay. It's been cutting out steady for an hour now.

What are some of the other options I can do to besides streaming to those servers?
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:08   #22
radio230

Hello,

I'm having exactly the same problem! I've been streaming from the webradio studio so far. Since this problem started, i rented a dedicated VPS and tried the streaming, but unfortunately the same cut out and cut in.

Guess its from shoutcast side.

flux : listen.shoutcast.com/radio230webradio

Thanks
radio230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:55   #23
DJ-Garybaldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio230 View Post
Hello,

I'm having exactly the same problem! I've been streaming from the webradio studio so far. Since this problem started, i rented a dedicated VPS and tried the streaming, but unfortunately the same cut out and cut in.

Guess its from shoutcast side.

flux : listen.shoutcast.com/radio230webradio

Thanks
It could be a number of things...

It could be a problem somewhere between you and the server itself (Do a trace route to see if any packets are being lost) it can also depend on how busy the outbound connection is on your providers end.

Have you checked your upload speed can handle the bitrate you are streaming at?

Also have you tried other encoding software?

Proud user of RadioDJ FREE shoutcast automation software

Online: Twitter - Facebook - Mixcloud
DJ-Garybaldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2017, 20:04   #24
stratwhaler

Same Here in Florida, USA

Just recently starting trying out the Shoutcast free service. Keeps cutting out.

Server: master.shoutcast.com
Port: 8000

Thanks!
-Bob
stratwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 15:13   #25
WowMachine

Same here... I'm in Ecuador using a fiber optic ISP, using Win10 with a hard connection to the router, and my router is set up with AirVPN server in the US. (I'll try the mtr later when I'm on that computer again)

Well.... bad news for everyone that this problem is happening more now that in the recent past.... good news for me as I thought I the problem was somewhere on my end and couldn't find anything.... so I guess I'm glad others are having the same problem.

I have 64, 128, and 256 kbps streams using shoutcast's servers and have monitored the same problem on all three streams.

Wow Machine Radio
Inspired by The Clifford Ball’s Ball Radio, Big Cypress’ Thin Air radio, and Magnaball’s The Bunny, WMR streams Phish-inspired Randomness, WMR is our huge collection of eclectic music, spoken word, and TV/movie quotes playing from a randomized playlist, played on ‘shuffle’ by Winamp v5.666.
WowMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 17:18   #26
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to djSpinnerCee Send a message via AIM to djSpinnerCee
seems like a capacity issue on the s-cast side, and secondly a possible internet (router?) issue... switching to a dedicated dnas would be an alternative until... reports of anomalies with adverts may be related...

i've noticed with almost every dnas update, the yp interaction has increased (albeit slightly)... good thing or bad thing, I can't say for sure, but maybe a consequence of the yp requiring more detailed info to support the "advert:" program -- webadmins certainly know how difficult it is to apply "rules" especially regional rules to ip addresses which are by no means tied to locations... a difficult problem to diagnose indeed.

give the sc admins time, they'll sort it out.
djSpinnerCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 17:36   #27
Kemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSpinnerCee View Post

give the sc admins time, they'll sort it out.
It's been almost a month and they haven't sorted shit. I'm SUPER pissed about this.

And I thought Comcast's customer support was bad. ShoutCast is the worst.
Old 7th October 2017, 17:57   #28
Soulmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
It's been almost a month and they haven't sorted shit. I'm SUPER pissed about this.

And I thought Comcast's customer support was bad. ShoutCast is the worst.
i'm also pissed off like ... lost all my listeners, a average of 500 - 650 listeners to our internet radiostation.
Old 8th October 2017, 08:32   #29
radioman

Mine is also skipping and cutting out - it was fine for over a year then suddenly started to skip and cut in and out - I changed nothing my end. I am using the RMO shoutcast servers. My listeners have dropped and my streams are unlistenable.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 12:36   #30
Soulmaster

maybe we should stop using shoutcast.. there totally no backup from Shoutcast why this happens..
Old 9th October 2017, 14:45   #31
Kemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulmaster View Post
maybe we should stop using shoutcast.. there totally no backup from Shoutcast why this happens..
I'd like to, but I don't have the funds to pay for everything...and ShoutCast is the only one I can play what I want without getting hassled.
Old 11th October 2017, 03:50   #32
Soulmaster

it looks like they smashed the bug.
Old 11th October 2017, 07:52   #33
radioman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulmaster View Post
it looks like they smashed the bug.
have they have fixed it? No more skipping?
Old 11th October 2017, 07:54   #34
radioman

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
have they have fixed it? No more skipping?

Mine is not fixed - still skipping every 5 seconds or so!
Old 11th October 2017, 15:18   #35
Kemo

I ran test on my station last night, and the cutting in and out started after about an hour or so. I've been testing on different server addresses just to see how they would act.

master.shoutcast.com = still skips
master1.shoutcast.com = skips after an hour
master2.shoutcast.com = connects, but doesn't broadcast

I don't know if they're all the same thing. I'm not well versed in the SC servers.

All I know is this is a HUGE hassle, and I'm going to end up having to put my show on hiatus after working to build a little following.

Whatever ShoutCast has done, it's something that happened within the last 30 days or so. Before that, I had no problems other than taking so long to connect, but they fixed that after awhile.

ShoutCast is not responding to messages at all. I've sent them messages on their site, FB, and Twitter. And I got nothing.
Since they've got bought out, it's all gone to shit.
Old 11th October 2017, 18:42   #36
Soulmaster

hmm no bug smashing by shoutcast, still buffering.
Old 12th October 2017, 05:59   #37
silversilver

I've had this issue for about 2 months, emails to support go unanswered, it's not the source because my 64k stream is fine, just anything 128K or above buffers. This is from people all over the world. I've lost nearly all my listeners... I have the bandwidth from my server, that isn't the issue.
silversilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Technical Support