Old 22nd February 2004, 20:13   #1
Evil Dust Bunny

Send a message via AIM to Evil Dust Bunny Send a message via Yahoo to Evil Dust Bunny
Winamp 5 Media Library vs. Windows Media Player 9's

Winamp 5's audio quality and features are far superior to Window's Media Player's. The user base, the flexability, everything. Just the potential totally blows away any other media player I have ever used.

Unfortunately, as nice as the media library is, it doesn't stand up to Windows Media Player 9's library. If it wasn't for the weak library I would be using Winamp5 for everything. I would even consider purchasing it if these features were made pro only, though that would just be stupid.

But here is what WA5's library needs for it to be able to compete with WMP9's:

- The ability to edit file info (artist, album, title, etc) without opening another window. With WMP9 you can just select a file, hit "f2" and tab through the different fields and edit or replace current info. It automatically saves the info and resorts the file in the library. It becomes far too time consuming to edit everything in a new window.

Another problem with editing file info is the inability to drag files into a different artist or album and have the related info change then. That is extremely annoying. All of this WMP9 can do with ease.

- Physically deleting files in the library. WMP9 also excels in this area. The user can just hit the delete key and a little dialog box comes asking what should happen to this file. The user can easily select, using arrow keys only, to delete the file from the harddrive as well, or to just remove it from the library. This makes things very easy. The file or files are moved to the recycle bin.

Another strength in this area is WMP9's ability to physically delete file that are in the playlist view. A simple right allows access to this and the same dialog box appears as before. It makes it easy for me to remove those annoying songs that just keep poping up that were picked up from some lan party long past from the guy who nobody really likes but still somehow managed to force his poor tastes on you.

Really, that is all that would greatly improve the abilities of the media library. The ability to edit WMA file info would be nice as well, but that isn't as serious, at least for me.

Another thing that is unreleated to the library is that it would be nice to have the ability, even if just in the pro version, but to convert WMAs or other file types into MP3 while keeping all the info. And to be able to batch processes of this. I realize that there is a plugin that will convert files into mp3, but it does not automatically organize or anything. It would be nice to have something as powerful as the cd-ripping tool.
Evil Dust Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2004, 23:37   #2
Reaper
Forum King

Re: Winamp 5 Media Library vs. Windows Media Player 9's

Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Dust Bunny
Another thing that is unreleated to the library is that it would be nice to have the ability, even if just in the pro version, but to convert WMAs or other file types into MP3 while keeping all the info. And to be able to batch processes of this. I realize that there is a plugin that will convert files into mp3, but it does not automatically organize or anything. It would be nice to have something as powerful as the cd-ripping tool.
That would be a terrible feature. Converting between two lossy formats will cause quality loss. If you want the files as MP3, just rerip the CD. It'd take the same time converting them from WMA -> MP3 as it would CD/WAV -> MP3.

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2004, 06:40   #3
swhite

What if you had downloaded WMA files off the Internet and then wanted to convert them into MP3 to play on a portable player? Then you'd want all the fancy features.
swhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2004, 09:40   #4
ping_nl

Re: Winamp 5 Media Library vs. Windows Media Player 9's

Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Dust Bunny

Unfortunately, as nice as the media library is, it doesn't stand up to Windows Media Player 9's library. If it wasn't for the weak library I would be using Winamp5 for everything. I would even consider purchasing it if these features were made pro only, though that would just be stupid.
Couldnt agree with you more, altho i have never tried the pro version or searched the plugin pages thoroughly.
I am still using Mediaplayer 9 because of its cool library feature. I hate everything else about it, i disabled it in windows, use bsplayer for video, winamp for audio and would love to get rid of it altogether. However i don't want to do without the automatic downloading of cd covers, pretty high quality cd reviews/comments and the auto-rearrange feature. Would be a waste NOT to steal the only wmp9 feature that works well.........

If anyone knows of a good way to organize thousands of mp3s properly please let me know. What i want is a player that finds extra info (tracks, lyrics (possibly), cd cover, release dates, artist info, reviews, goodies like that) on the internet without users having to look it up for themselves. (of course this can only work on a properly tagged mp3)
ping_nl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2004, 02:22   #5
Moguta

You can physically delete files in the WinAmp playlist & media library.

Playlist:
Remove button -> Remove Misc -> Physically remove selected file(s)

Library View:
Right click -> Remove -> Physically remove selected item(s)

Unfortunately, for some odd reason, there is no command to physically remove files from the playlists in the Media Library... only the views. =/

Magnatune - A role model for ALL digital music stores!
Moguta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2004, 03:46   #6
sanosuke
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by swhite
What if you had downloaded WMA files off the Internet and then wanted to convert them into MP3 to play on a portable player? Then you'd want all the fancy features.
simple, don't download wma files.

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
sanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2004, 04:26   #7
Evil Dust Bunny

Send a message via AIM to Evil Dust Bunny Send a message via Yahoo to Evil Dust Bunny
Quote:
Originally posted by Moguta
You can physically delete files in the WinAmp playlist & media library.

Playlist:
Remove button -> Remove Misc -> Physically remove selected file(s)

Library View:
Right click -> Remove -> Physically remove selected item(s)

Unfortunately, for some odd reason, there is no command to physically remove files from the playlists in the Media Library... only the views. =/
Yes, I realize that. But as I explained above, it is much simpler in Windows Media Player's library. Hit "del" and a nice little dialog box pops up and you can hit enter or change an option and hit enter. Boom, the file is in the recycle bin.
Old 26th February 2004, 06:29   #8
knightmare@nine

Send a message via Yahoo to knightmare@nine
I agree that the WMP 9 Media Library is much superior to Winamp 5.01. Also I would love to have the Auto-Playlists made available in Winamp. That would really be perfect!
knightmare@nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2004, 01:34   #9
EdgeOfEpsilon

Send a message via ICQ to EdgeOfEpsilon Send a message via AIM to EdgeOfEpsilon
I don't know, I wouldn't want a dialog box every time I tried to delete something. Winamp is a media player, not a file manager.

I think the big problem with Winamp is that it's context menus are too bloated. It would do much better if they were organized better, in this case, something like...

Play Item(s)
Enqueue Item(s) (for JTFE)
Send To>
File>
..Explore to
..Info
..Send to>(Send to List)
..Cut (Updates info on "Paste")
..Copy
..Delete (and removes from library
..Rename (updates file info in lirary)
Remove
Crop
Bookmark Item(s)

There would only be 7 items on the menu instead of 9, and it would have enhanced functionality.

sfx
EdgeOfEpsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2004, 04:18   #10
Evil Dust Bunny

Quote:
Originally posted by EdgeOfEpsilon
I don't know, I wouldn't want a dialog box every time I tried to delete something. Winamp is a media player, not a file manager.

I'm just giving that as an example of how a good system works. Winamp does not even have a hot key. But a dialog box is nice if you want to physically delete a file. It doesn't take that much more time in WMP9 and I have never found it annoying. It remembers my last choice and I can just hit "enter" and it will send the file to the recycle bin and that's it. Fast and easy.
Old 28th February 2004, 22:55   #11
EdgeOfEpsilon

Send a message via ICQ to EdgeOfEpsilon Send a message via AIM to EdgeOfEpsilon
Could be good. Worth considering, at least. I'm never opposed to new features, as long as they're optional

sfx
EdgeOfEpsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist