Old 31st January 2007, 21:02   #1
peepoop

Vista Global Hotkeys bug

When I click to enable Global Hotkeys in the Winamp prefs, I get this error message from Winamp:

code:
Hotkey registration failed!
Couldn't register the following hotkeys:
Playback: Stop
Playback: Play/pause
Playback: Previous in play list
Playback: Next in play list

This is preventing the play/pause button on my keyboard (MS Natural Ergonomic 4000) from working with Winamp under Vista.
peepoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2007, 21:12   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Not a bug, just means someone else has those keys registered already. Like other media players, or keyboard drivers. Find what it is and close it.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2007, 23:21   #3
Foyman1973

Send a message via AIM to Foyman1973 Send a message via Yahoo to Foyman1973
Hotkey Fix for IntelliType

You have a couple options to fix this issue. You can "kill" itype.exe, you can uninstall the Intellitype drivers for your keyboard (both of which will disable all the other nifty hotkeys except volume, play and stop). Your other option is to go into the Control Panel and Default Programs, set WinAmp as your default media player, then you can simply use the Defualt media key settings in the IntelliType application.

I hope thats a little better than "turn stuff off".
Foyman1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 03:36   #4
Xegyn

I tried killing itype.exe, and after doing so, I was able to register all the global hotkeys as media keys, avoiding the registration error. After doing so, I can restart itype and everything works perfect. However, when I restart, I have to repeat the process.

I would like to try the Default Programs method, but I ran to a few problems.
First of all, Winamp did not show up on the list of programs for Vista's "Default Programs" I found a text file on the Winamp forums that I could import in to regedit which put Winamp on the program list. However, after doing so I still have no luck.
Under "Set Default Programs", I have Winamp on the list, and I have clicked on "Set this program as default".
I also went to "Set Program Access and Computer Defaults".
Under Microsoft, Windows Media Player is the default Media Player, and I cannot change his value.
Under Non-Microsoft, Winamp is the default Media Player.
When I try to set the Globa Hotkeys in Winamp, I get the registration failed message.
Xegyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 06:47   #5
psycho_maniac
Major Dude

Re: Vista Global Hotkeys bug

Quote:
Originally posted by peepoop
When I click to enable Global Hotkeys in the Winamp prefs, I get this error message from Winamp:

code:
Hotkey registration failed!
Couldn't register the following hotkeys:
Playback: Stop
Playback: Play/pause
Playback: Previous in play list
Playback: Next in play list

This is preventing the play/pause button on my keyboard (MS Natural Ergonomic 4000) from working with Winamp under Vista.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hlight=hotkeys

this also solves the hotkey error also with itype program still running.
psycho_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 03:33   #6
Foyman1973

The way I have mine setup is under "Program Access and Computer Defaults", the Custom configuration is selected, and WinAmp is selected as the default Media Player. I then went into Microsoft Keyboard application, set my media keys to use the default "Starts Media Player" Option. Once those 2 steps were completed I then launched WinAmp and disabled and re-enabled Global Hot-keys. If that doesn't work you may have to use the Restore Defaults option in the Microsoft Keyboard application to force the app back to using the OS specified default applications.
Old 8th February 2007, 05:17   #7
psycho_maniac
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Foyman1973
The way I have mine setup is under "Program Access and Computer Defaults", the Custom configuration is selected, and WinAmp is selected as the default Media Player.
is this with vista?
psycho_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 02:24   #8
Foyman1973

yes
Old 10th October 2007, 21:59   #9
kefka900

Re: Hotkey Fix for IntelliType

Quote:
Originally posted by Foyman1973
You have a couple options to fix this issue. You can "kill" itype.exe, you can uninstall the Intellitype drivers for your keyboard (both of which will disable all the other nifty hotkeys except volume, play and stop). Your other option is to go into the Control Panel and Default Programs, set WinAmp as your default media player, then you can simply use the Defualt media key settings in the IntelliType application.

I hope thats a little better than "turn stuff off".
Anyone find a real solution to this problem. I don't want Winamp as my default media player. (Prefer WMPC for quick viewing of files.) And i don't want to have to kill itype.exe, remap Winamp keys and reload itype to make everything work correctly everytime i reboot, which is twice a day. Any way to get winamp to behave like 90% of all other media plaers out there and just work? (WMPC, WMP, Jetaudio all work fine)
kefka900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 22:56   #10
kefka900

The best solution would be to have winamp act like a normal media player when "Global Hotkeys" is disabled.
kefka900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports