Old 1st October 2011, 03:40   #1
Gambler71

Media Library / FLAC / Category tag error

-Winamp 5.621-

I use SMART VIEW and sort my albums via CATEGORY (also called Grouping or Contentgroup). I have used mp3tag to make the tags with simple names like ROCK / SOFT / CLASSICAL etc.

All of my MP3 files and M4A files show up under the proper Smart View Category using the Contentgroup tag.

However, the FLAC files do not show up under Smart View (except for the winamp default Audio smart view category [which is set to show all music]). This says to me that WinAmp is not reading the Contentgroup tag as Category (as MP3 and M4A do). However, it will read a "CATEGORY" tag (a non-standard tag that I have not used in any other software) as Category, so one has to be made up for them [I know this can be done with WinAmp].

Not sure why MP3/M4A can recognise CONTENTGROUP tag for category, but FLAC only recognises CATEGORY tag. It feels wasteful to have to impliment a new tag for my library, which has taken me up to a week to re-edit just to categorise.

ELSE this is the best media player hands down.
Gambler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:35   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
in id3 the frame for "contentgroup" is TIT1

mp3tag says this:

http://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html

i don't use that frame, or the "category" field in winamp, so i don't know if that field is the TIT1 frame or not, or what functional purpose the frame is supposed to serve, if any.

i don't know much about m4a, but flac uses vorbis tags which are a weak standard.

basically, what you seem to be after, is for winamp to "map" the "category field" to the "correct" spots/nomenclature in the 3 formats.

i don't know what that would be, but you need to cite documentation showing why or what uses it the way whatever uses it.

i can't even explain why winamp would call TIT1 content group: "category."

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 19:15   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

So mp3tag writes the "Category" field for FLAC & OGG files to "Contentgroup"?
How strange. We currently just write it to Category.
I'll add Contentgroup & Grouping as alternative fields for the next release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i can't even explain why winamp would call TIT1 content group: "category."
Because that's what WMP does...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 19:30   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
So mp3tag writes the "Category" field for FLAC & OGG files to "Contentgroup"?
How strange. We currently just write it to Category.
I'll add Contentgroup & Grouping as alternative fields for the next release.
egg, i don't see any evidence of that. if you look at my link, the first column is the flac tag name afaik.

to be honest, i don't really understand the posters issue, (which isn't to say that there is no issue), but i do think the OP should lay out much more methodically what the issue[s] are before changes are made to winamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Because that's what WMP does...
in this case, i think winamp should match the standard, not WMP.

--
Old 4th October 2011, 19:45   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

as with my previously posted mp3tag link, i see no evidence that "Category" should exist ANYWHERE:

http://www.blisshq.com/music-library...p3s/index.html

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....D3_Tag_Mapping

WMP has confused winamp imo. contentgroup should NOT use an alias.

btw egg, might be some frames there to add to not delete!

--
Old 8th October 2011, 02:16   #6
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler71 View Post
-Winamp 5.621-

I use SMART VIEW and sort my albums via CATEGORY (also called Grouping or Contentgroup). I have used mp3tag to make the tags with simple names like ROCK / SOFT / CLASSICAL etc.

All of my MP3 files and M4A files show up under the proper Smart View Category using the Contentgroup tag.

However, the FLAC files do not show up under Smart View (except for the winamp default Audio smart view category [which is set to show all music]). This says to me that WinAmp is not reading the Contentgroup tag as Category (as MP3 and M4A do). However, it will read a "CATEGORY" tag (a non-standard tag that I have not used in any other software) as Category, so one has to be made up for them [I know this can be done with WinAmp].
Your post indicates that you have configured Mp3tag to write the "Category" tag that Winamp successfully reads for MP3 and M4A files.
To write the corresponding tag for FLAC files you could use the mapping dialogue in Mp3tag.

I tried to attach a screenshot but that failed (what else is new?). Look here or use this description:
In Mp3tag, open the mapping dialogue and add a new user-defined field mapping by filling the columns of a new row as follows; under Tag enter VorbisComment, under Source enter Category, under Target enter ContentGroup.

Now, you will be able to write the ``Category`` tag for FLAC files, using the same methods you use for MP3`s and M4A`s, to the location that Winamp expects. They should now be sorted correctly by ``Category`` in any Smartview.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports