Old 4th May 2020, 18:47   #1
Daveteauk

Enqueue GONE from Windoze right click menues

I've been using Winamp, and this particular excellent feature, for YEARS, >20, but I just installed a new MoBo, NOT a new OS btw, and now it's gone! It's there if I right click on a Folder, but not on a music file within a folder. All previous answers here don't work, as they don't for hundres of people. All the relevant check boxes seem to be checked or unchecked to allow this, but without sucess. The only other music player I have installed is VLC, but those checkboxes are only for video, as I've unchecked the music associations there. I've tried the latest version, then gone back to older versions, but it's gone! Any ideas - PLEASE.
Daveteauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 19:27   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Do you have the Jump to File Extra (gen_jumpex.dll) plug-in installed? If not, use the installer for Winamp version 5.666.3516 to install it. In either case, have you looked in the General Preferences for the Jump To File UI Options and selected those you wish to use? Also have you looked in the File Types Shell Options and selected the Windows Explorer Menu Control options you want to use for the File Context Menu and the Folder Context Menu? Restart Winamp if you make any changes to these options.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v2004 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 20:32   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=453692

U can also try wacup.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 21:27   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

The context menu feature Daveteauk is asking about is not working in WACUP yet. These context menu features also do not work with Windows 10.

Old 5th May 2020, 11:47   #5
Daveteauk

Thanks Aminifu - gen_jumpex.dll is there. I'm using 5.66 released Nov 20th 2013. I've tried 5.8 which didn't work either. Jump to file is correctly selected. File types/Shell options is also as it should be for Windoze explorer context menues to do what it should be doing, but it's not. There are hundreds of people with this issue, and these are always the suggestions of help, which always elicit the respose that everything's as it should be, but it doesn't work!

You are incorrect saying this feature doen't work under W10 - it's been working perfectly well since I got W10, years ago, under 5.66 (I can't find any version numbers, just 5.66, not 5.666) and only stopped working after installing a new MoBo a few days ago. The driver disc installed some 'sound studio' crap, that I've since uninstalled, without change.
Old 5th May 2020, 12:24   #6
Daveteauk

I've just installed - 5.666 Build 3516 - (over the top of the other 5.66?) and no change (gen_jumpex.ddl is still there btw). Also, I forgot to mention all the, many, other bugs - 'Enqueue on double click' doesn't work anymore, neither does, under the 'Jump to File' menu, Play on Double click (it does NOTHING at all, although I get the egg timer symbol for a few seconds!); in the same place pressing the Enter key also doesn't do anything;on the same page under Queing Control Options, even though the checkbox to Restore the queue list when Winamp starts is NOT checked, it restores the list; same list, 'Allow middle button to add files to the queue', also has no effect. Do we need to check the - 'Enable Media Library JTFE Queue manager view? It's not checked, but still doesn't work even if it is! Under that menu, when the CB(Checkbox) 'Add to Queue' on the 'Send To' (right click) menu, also doesn't work. I CAN add to the queue - by right clicking on the file and choosing 'Open With'/Winamp = laborious or what. Talk about a bug fest! Would you suggest a totally clean (with all registry entries removed also) install of 5.666, or try 5.8 again? I DID do a clean install of 5.8 yesterday btw, with no change. So went back to 5.66.
I'm sure if someone can sort out all these bugs, there'd be hundreds, if not thousands, of happy Winamp users, including me.
I want my Winamp back!
Old 5th May 2020, 18:35   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveteauk View Post

You are incorrect saying this feature doen't work under W10 - it's been working perfectly well since I got W10, years ago, under 5.66 (I can't find any version numbers, just 5.66, not 5.666) and only stopped working after installing a new MoBo a few days ago. The driver disc installed some 'sound studio' crap, that I've since uninstalled, without change.
As to the version number, look in the About Winamp window on the Winamp tab or the Version history tab. I'm using the last AOL release dated Dec 12, 2013.

My comment about Windows 10 was incomplete. When I first installed Windows 10 over Windows 7 (almost 3 years ago) those file context menu features also worked for me. After a few Windows 10 updates they stopped working and have not worked since. Everything I've tried (short of installing Windows 7 then Windows 10 over it) to get them back has failed.

Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft changed the way apps are allowed to add info to the Windows registry. Over time, since then, these restrictions have gotten stronger and better enforced.

I think Windows 10 will not let Winamp add certain information (like what is needed to support these context menu features) to a fresh installation (like what you had to do when changing your mobo). Installing Windows 10 over Window 7 which already had this info in the registry (which is still in my registry) worked for awhile.

Microsoft wants everyone to use their media player. It appears that the context menu commands for their media player override those for Winamp. Winamp uses some of the code related to the Microsoft media player to support some of it's features, so removing the Microsoft media player is not an option if you need the features partially supported by the media player code.

Old 5th May 2020, 22:33   #8
Daveteauk

Update

No Aminifu, If you read my comments you will see I did NOT install a new OS when I changed my MoBo, which I've now done FOUR times since January this year (lets not get into THAT one!), and not once did I install a fresh copy of Windoze with the MoBo change, and all other hardware was/is exactly the same, and Winamp worked perfectly after each change, except this one. I've been on the same W10 Pro version since then, 1903, and had only one update, and everythng was working fine following that, so I believe this W10 thing is a 'red herring'. A very knowlegeable friend who'm I spoke with today, on the same v1903, build 18362.778, and who's also using Winamp 5.666, checked it out today and everything works as it should, so W10 is not the problem. I also installed W10 right over W7 as the free 'upgrade', presumably like yourself, with no issues in Winamp. I was on Winamp v5.66 (Nov 20th 2013), with no build numbers, now on the same version as yourself, as I've now done a COMPLETELY clean install of Winamp, removing everything, inc within the registry, before I installed 5.666 build 3516. At the same time I also uninstalled VLC with the same rigorous removal, incase it was causing an issue, as it had an update, but >a week ago, before this issue ocurred, and I didn't/haven't re-installed it. Winamp is still FULL of bugs
As a matter of interest Aminifu, why haven't you gone to v5.8?
Old 6th May 2020, 02:50   #9
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
....When I first installed Windows 10 over Windows 7 (almost 3 years ago) those file context menu features also worked for me. After a few Windows 10 updates they stopped working and have not worked since. Everything I've tried (short of installing Windows 7 then Windows 10 over it) to get them back has failed....
Have you tried turning the Windows Media Player feature off?
Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Media Features > uncheck Windows Media Player

Quote:
.....Winamp uses some of the code related to the Microsoft media player to support some of it's features, so removing the Microsoft media player is not an option if you need the features partially supported by the media player code.
Which Winamp features would be missing?
For many years, starting when I was using Windows 7, I've kept Windows Media Player turned off and have not felt as if I was missing something in Winamp.
Maybe this is different than removing WMP.

I'm not claiming that disabling WMP as a feature will solve this issue, only that it might be worth a try.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2020, 03:42   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi ryerman,

Removing WMP is different from turning it off. When turned off the supporting code is still there for other apps to take advantage of.

The interdependence of WMP and Winamp was discussed on this site several years ago. I don't want to rely on my memory for the details. But I think it had more to do with video and browser support rather than audio. I mostly use Kodi for my videos. Now I only use Winamp on occasion for audio. I'm trying to help DrO as a beta tester for WACUP and mostly use it for my audio. I use WMP on occasion for some video and quick CD burns for my mother-in-law. She's in her mid eighties and not overly concerned with the quality of the CDs I make for her.

Since you use the same versions of Winamp and Windows (maybe not the same update) that I do, my question for you is do the Winamp Windows Explorer file context menu features work for you? However, I assume you would have said so if they do. I will temporarily turn off WMP and report back the results.

Old 6th May 2020, 07:44   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi ryerman,

I like you and your advice has worked for me in the past so I tried your suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work. It took Windows 20 minutes to turn off WMP in my system and 15 minutes to turn it back on.

Old 6th May 2020, 13:52   #12
ryerman
Major Dude

Hi Aminifu
Quote:
...It took Windows 20 minutes to turn off WMP in my system and 15 minutes to turn it back on.
Wow! That seems excessive.
Thanks for testing my suggestion.
I suspected that removing WMP was different than turning it off: that prompted my suggestion.
Too bad turning it off didn't solve your problem.

I have music videos in my Winamp playlist, but use the ActiveWinamp plug-in with my custom script to intercept them for playback with VLC.
The last CD I burned, a long time ago, was with Winamp.

The only File Explorer context menu item I use is "Add to Winamp's Media Library" for folders, and it works as desired.
I don't want any others, so after hearing about your problems, I'm going to leave things as they are.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2020, 21:43   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveteauk View Post
No Aminifu, If you read my comments you will see I did NOT install a new OS when I changed my MoBo, which I've now done FOUR times since January this year (lets not get into THAT one!), and not once did I install a fresh copy of Windoze with the MoBo change, and all other hardware was/is exactly the same, and Winamp worked perfectly after each change, except this one. I've been on the same W10 Pro version since then, 1903, and had only one update, and everythng was working fine following that, so I believe this W10 thing is a 'red herring'. A very knowlegeable friend who'm I spoke with today, on the same v1903, build 18362.778, and who's also using Winamp 5.666, checked it out today and everything works as it should, so W10 is not the problem. I also installed W10 right over W7 as the free 'upgrade', presumably like yourself, with no issues in Winamp. I was on Winamp v5.66 (Nov 20th 2013), with no build numbers, now on the same version as yourself, as I've now done a COMPLETELY clean install of Winamp, removing everything, inc within the registry, before I installed 5.666 build 3516. At the same time I also uninstalled VLC with the same rigorous removal, incase it was causing an issue, as it had an update, but >a week ago, before this issue ocurred, and I didn't/haven't re-installed it. Winamp is still FULL of bugs
As a matter of interest Aminifu, why haven't you gone to v5.8?
Sorry, I didn't see this post yesterday for some unknown reason.

I assumed your comment about not installing a new OS meant you were still using the same version of Windows.

I also assumed your new mobo is a different kind than your old one and thus you needed to reinstall your same OS. Unless you replace a mobo with a new one of the same kind, you often need to reinstall the OS because the low level drivers (listed in the registry) associated with stuff on the new mobo are different than what was being used for the old mobo.

Sometimes the sound chip, network adapter chip, etc. are the same kind and version on both boards, so the same low level drivers can be used with no issues. In this case, you can change the mobo, reconnect the hard drive and you're good to go. Unless the OS detects the change and phones home, resulting in Microsoft asking you to re-register the OS.

Winamp 5.8 is not a stable release. It has more bugs than the version I'm using. It is a beta (work in progress) that was leaked to the internet, forcing the new Winamp owners to officially release it before it was ready. I know because I was a member of the select beta test group working with what was released as 5.8.

As to the issue for starting this thread, something in your Windows registry related to these context menu commands changed. What was changed, and what changed it, I can't tell without before and after copies of your registry. The fastest (and safest) way to get things back, is to back up to the OS version you were using when the context menu commands were there (i.e. the OS version that let Winamp add the associated keys to the registry). Verify that the context menu commands are back and working, make a copy of this registry, then upgrade to the OS version you have now. If the context menu commands are there, fine. If not then the associated keys can be compared with what is in the registry copy and appropriate changes made by someone with the required skill set.

Sometimes a step back is needed before a step forward can be taken. I know this process will work. I have not done it myself because to me this issue is not worth the time it will take. I can drag and drop from Explorer to Winamp or use the main context menu in Winamp to add the files I want. Both of these methods are not as convenient, but they work.

Old 7th May 2020, 14:50   #14
Daveteauk

Issue Solved

Almost! Most of the features are now back - a few bugs remain, but the important one(s) are back and working, mainly THE most important feature - right click/Enqueue in Winamp. This was acheived by uninstalling the Realtek audio driver. A DIFFERENT Realtek audio driver that was in use on my previous MSI ACE MoBo, when Winamp was working ok. I thought both Realtek drivers were the same, but no.
The problem is now that I have no analogue audio output
I do still have audio on Optical on S/PDIF, but it's nowhere near as good through my VideoLogic Sirocco Pro speaker system
The only solution may be to buy an Audio PCIe card - any suggestions of a good one (not expensive, as the £400 MoBo has flushed me!) would be appreciated. It's a real shame, as the Hi-Res audio chip on my Asus Crosshair VIII Hero MoBo is (was)superb.
Old 7th May 2020, 16:24   #15
Daveteauk

Correct Assumptions

Yes Aminifu, your assumptions were correct - I didn't install a new OS, and I was/am still using the same OS/build as before, I said that in the post below.

Your assumption of a different make of MoBo is also correct, but not a different kind; I went from an MSI ACE board to an Asus Crosshair VIII Hero. Although, not a different kind, as both are x570, but a different make. The Asus is using the Realtek S1220 audio codec, and the MSI was using the ALC1220 codec, so presumably different driver versions too; they also use different DACs, although it's the analogue side that's the problem here.

The OS will ALWAYS detect a changed MoBo and phone home, so yes, and I did have to re-activate Windoze, with each MoBo change, even though they were x570.
OS versions were always exactly the same, but as for Registry values, I don't know, as I didn't do what you suggested, but there was NO change of the OS - EXACTLY the same.

Good advice about about drag n drop from W Explorer - I didn't think of that - woods n trees! It works, as you say, although you have to keep Winamps window smallish, but it may be a solution to get my good sound quality back - thanks for that.
Old 7th May 2020, 17:34   #16
Aminifu
Forum King

Yeah, it's a shame when drivers cause issues with things that seemly shouldn't be related. I don't update mine unless the new release reports it's addressing some problem I'm having, which is rare. Getting info on new drivers is not as easy as it should be. The vendors websites usually don't provide much info and it takes searching the WEB for the experiences of others. Sometimes I use the trial and error approach and taking that step back, I mentioned, when things don't work right.

Sorry I can't recommend a sound card. I used to swear by the Creative cards, but I gave up on them long ago and just use the chip on my mobo (which is 1 of the main things I investigate when selecting a mobo).

As you can probably tell by now, I'm very picky before I place my money down or make changes to what is working. It's a time consuming investigative process, but it reduces my regrets. What really pisses me off is when the powers that be make changes for me that I can't do anything about.

Good luck, going forward.

Tip: When asking for help or searching the WEB, be very specific. Provide as many directly related details (i.e. exact part name and version, etc.) as you can up front. I know that sounds easier than it is. But doing so reduces the number of follow up questions or narrows the search. Try not to assume anything. I've learned it's often better to provide too much info, than not enough.

Old 19th May 2020, 12:53   #17
Daveteauk

Asus drivers

last week, Asus brought out some new sound drivers, which have fixed the issue. I contacted them when I discovered it was the drivers causing the issue in the Windoze context menues of Winamp. I hope all the others who are having this problem read this post as they can try uninstalling their sound drivers to see if it's the same issue as I had. It fixed the issue, but then I had no sound, obviously, but I was on the right track. Thanks to everyone who gave advice and commented on my issues - it was all 'food for thought'.
Old 19th May 2020, 19:50   #18
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Daveteauk,

Glad to hear the good news. I would never have suspected the sound device driver.

As long as any part of the Playlist Editor window is visible (enough to point to) beside or beneath Explorer, you can drag and drop files from Explorer to the Playlist Editor.

Old 13th June 2020, 12:19   #19
fasta-benj

Re Missing Right Click Option to Play/Enqueue Folders

This problem has been bugging me since upgrading to Windows 10 and I haven't been able to find any solutions so I came up with my own solution. The following registry entry will add Enqueue/Play in Winamp to the context menu when right clicking on a folder.

Create a new text file and open it. Copy the following highlighted text and paste to the text file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Winamp.Play]
@="&Play with Winamp"
"Icon"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Winamp\\winamp.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Winamp.Play\Command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Winamp\\Winamp.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Winamp.Play\DropTarget]
"Clsid"="{46986115-84D6-459c-8F95-52DD653E532E}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Winamp.Enqueue]
@="&Enqueue in Winamp"
"Icon"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Winamp\\winamp.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Winamp.Enqueue\DropTarget]
"Clsid"="{77A366BA-2BE4-4a1e-9263-7734AA3E99A2}"

Now save the text file as Winamp.reg. Double click the Winamp.reg file and click 'yes' on the dialogue box. You now have the Play and Enqueue options for folders.

Enjoy
fasta-benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2020, 20:14   #20
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
I might be wrong, but I think I've noticed that the right click "add/scan folder to Winamp's ML" feature also doesn't work anymore in win10, with 5.8

I might have some or part of that wrong, or it might need stated more precisely...

However, assuming there is some kind of snafu, is it possible ur registry hack, or one similar to it, could fix it?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2020, 20:18   #21
konklusif

I have the same obstacle as above
konklusif is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support