Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 27th February 2004, 16:09   #1
glop

gUSB for send to removable drive

Hi there
Lots of people want to support removable peripherals (harddrive, mp3 player and so on
here is gUSB
see the attachments
you can drag from media library and drop on drive, you can drag a list > all mp3 will be droped on drive, and in playlist windows : send to >> a drive

For the moment the langage is in french but such easy to use
i give you the picture to understand better
http://www.winampfr.com/tutoriaux/gusb/index.php

see you soon
Attached Files
File Type: zip gusb.zip (71.7 KB, 1918 views)
glop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2004, 16:48   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Moved to WA discussion, better in here than tech support
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2004, 18:59   #3
Crease

glop, thank you. This plugin's neat. It adds Explorer functionality to the ML. It works for my Firewire external drive. And it taught me how to say folder, size, play, add to playlist, and delete in French

In my ML the drives appear much differently than in your link. I'll attach a screenshot as soon as I figure out how to attach.

edit - Here we go, sorry for not attaching it, didn't see the option for it:

My guess is it's because I don't have CD support installed, hence no devices.

Last edited by Crease; 27th February 2004 at 19:23.
Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2004, 21:02   #4
glop

Mr Jones > ok sorry and thanks to you
Crease > Sorry but i don't understand any word. can you explain me the troublle more easy to understand ...sorry explain with easier world
Old 28th February 2004, 05:44   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

So... you just need to add language support (english would be a nice start) then this plugin is all ready to go.
I can then add a link to it in the "Most Requested Features/Plugins" sticky, unless you're going to publish it on winamp.com/plugins?

btw, I don't think Crease has got any real problem.
It's just that he didn't install Audio CD support, therefore he doesn't have a "Devices" (Lecteur) section in his Library.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 05:56   #6
Crease

glop, it was I who misunderstood the tutorial at http://www.winampfr.com. It is my poor reading of French that made the trouble. My post was hard to understand because my thoughts were unclear.

The gUSB plugin is excellent and useful. It works perfectly. To tell the truth, I think I was looking for an excuse to post a picture of my media library because I think it looks cool.
Old 28th February 2004, 10:11   #7
glop

all

the us translation is waiting to be approuved we hope it will be done asap

here is the plugin for the moment...
and the picture, all in english, yeah ( we work a lot, gutenberg and me)

the name of attachement is gusbus

gUSB >Gutenberg the author, USB...for USB because MP3 player is the most employed thing for this plugin
US > cause it's translation of gUSB (beginning in french
Attached Files
File Type: zip gusbus.zip (71.6 KB, 1646 views)
Old 1st March 2004, 10:18   #8
Crease

I have bad news. Gusbus is not compatible with the iPod plugin. When I tried to send songs to my iPod I received a message "Winamp has encountered a problem and needs to close." When I uninstalled Gusbus the problem went away.

I think this is because Gusbus detects the iPod as a removable drive and prevents the iPod plugin from opening the iPod database.
Old 1st March 2004, 15:24   #9
glop

Crease please please visit an read topics ....

First : this is NOT "gusbus" it's gusb (gusbus is just for me, to differentiate the us to the french version, G for Gutenberg, USB because mp3 player are almost in usb

TWO : ipod plugin exist http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=138888. I tried it too with an ipod, and the co-existence match , there is no trouble

but please begin to search in forum and plugin section ......BEFORE POST OR REPLY

Last edited by glop; 1st March 2004 at 16:07.
Old 1st March 2004, 22:43   #10
Crease

I did not mean to upset you.

1) I called the plugin "Gusbus" to indicate I was using the English (US), not the French version.

2) Yes, you've linked to the iPod plugin I am speaking of, the one Gusb conflicted with. It is indeed located in the plugin section. If I must chooose between the two I will choose the iPod plugin, since Will has never shouted at me and I would rather access my iPod than use a file browser that doesn't remember that its columns have been resized.

If I may say so, your anger is doing more to hurt your plugin than help. If users feel they cannot report problems with the plugin for fear that you will misunderstand and explode, then they will simply delete the plugin (as I have done) when it does not work as it should. This is one purpose of this community, that users may report problems and conlicts so that the those problems and conflicts may be resolved. An error report is not a personal attack but a plea for assistance.

I wish you the best of luck in future endeavors.

(sound of door closing and footsteps walking away)
Old 1st March 2004, 23:00   #11
glop

sorry

Grease

sorry for my exploding comportment. I apologize.
I was yesterday tired and a little sick too, you can't know, sorry again.
I 'm sad you have a conflict

gUSB is the result of long and hard work, Gutenberg worked a lot of it, me too. Put it on this website, be supported by DJ Egg is a honor, we just regret that users can have trouble, that explain my "allergy".
Nervertheless we will support all users. We can explain exactly why there is a trouble/conflict

again and again sorry
Old 4th March 2004, 20:42   #12
Veej007

suggestion, hopefully this will make it into the us release:

please give us the option to exclude certain drives. i probably have ten or twelve different drives (partitions, peripheral devices, etc) and i really only care about seeing the m: drive, which is my portable. with the french version, the left hand pane gets to be very cluttered because it automatically lists them all.
Veej007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2004, 13:46   #13
Nubile Bunny

Send a message via ICQ to Nubile Bunny Send a message via AIM to Nubile Bunny Send a message via Yahoo to Nubile Bunny
Hi all. I have an mpio mp3 player and I really want a plugin that will support it in Winamp. Unfortunately this plugin doesn't work. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Also, I can't seem to find this plugin in the plugin list in Winamp, so I can't remove it. How can I remove it from my system? Thanks.

~ Nubile Bunny

"You are not your grande latte...You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world." ~ Tyler Durden
Nubile Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2004, 14:42   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

It's a Media Library plugin,
so go to:
Prefs > Media Library > Plugins...

Or with Winamp closed, delete
\Winamp\Plugins\ml_gusb_us.dll

This plugin only supports devices which mount as a drive.
I take it your mp3 player doesn't mount as a drive then?
Old 5th March 2004, 17:18   #15
Nubile Bunny

Send a message via ICQ to Nubile Bunny Send a message via AIM to Nubile Bunny Send a message via Yahoo to Nubile Bunny
No, unfortunately it doesn't. Any idea of a plugin that would work with it?

~ Nubile Bunny

"You are not your grande latte...You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world." ~ Tyler Durden
Old 6th March 2004, 00:40   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Nope. Point the hardware manufacturer to the Winamp 5.02 SDK. It's up to them to make a plugin (or for someone to do it for them).
Old 6th March 2004, 07:00   #17
Nubile Bunny

Ok, thanks.

~ Nubile Bunny

Old 10th March 2004, 20:31   #18
HaloHQ

Just downloaded the plugin, and it's amazing. Havent had any problems with it yet, and it makes sending files to my mp3 player so much easier. One question: is there any way to choose what drives it shows in the library? Just bothers me that my drive C is there all the time.

-edit- Just saw that Veej007 suggested the same thing. Hope you add the option in a later version.
HaloHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2004, 21:18   #19
glop

the évolution are
>choose (active/unactive) the drive you need
>send to a spedific folder (for the mp3 player who put the mp3 in music folder
As soon as gutenberg have finished his projets and exams
Old 10th March 2004, 21:32   #20
HaloHQ

Quote:
Originally posted by glop
the évolution are
>choose (active/unactive) the drive you need
>send to a spedific folder (for the mp3 player who put the mp3 in music folder
As soon as gutenberg have finished his projets and exams
Awesome . They should include something like this into later versions of Winamp.
HaloHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2004, 22:21   #21
Poppy

Thank you for this plug-in. Looking forward to the added features.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2004, 07:01   #22
glop

from now the plugin and the evolution is avaialble there
http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=139125
(and be updated in one month approximatively)
Old 25th March 2004, 21:39   #23
skinme!
Forum King

Absolutely perfect for my MuVo! Thanks a lot.

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
skinme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 22:15   #24
Veej007

two questions:

1) does it support placing the files in subfolders, or do they all automatically go into the top level?
2) do files copy automatically, as soon as you "drop"? I'd much prefer something where I can browse my library, set up the files on the portable just as I want them, and then hit a "copy" button to perform all the transfers at once, instead of having several different transfer processes for each search.
Veej007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2004, 14:23   #25
Gutenberg

Send a message via ICQ to Gutenberg Send a message via AIM to Gutenberg Send a message via Yahoo to Gutenberg
Hi

1/ Yes, gUSB allows to place files in subfolders. For doing that, you have to navigate in your drive's view down to the subfolder you want to copy to, and then dropped or sendtoed files will be copied to the proper place.

2/ Currently files are copied as soon as they're dropped, which can be effectively awful in terms of transfer speed when concurrent copying processes are running (at least on my Muvo it is ). I plan to introduce a "Copying manager" in next version, so that files would be queued and tranferred one by one.
Gutenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2004, 14:44   #26
inthegray
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to inthegray
has anyone tried this with a rio karma yet?
inthegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2004, 17:00   #27
skinme!
Forum King

I love how active development is still going on on this great plugin. It would perhaps be useful in your copying manager if you had a setting that force copied them in the order of the playlist since the MuVo's play order is based on when they were copied to it.

Old 31st March 2004, 09:56   #28
skinme!
Forum King

One suggestion I have: I like the way your plugin shows used/free space but it would also be useful if it showed a file(/folder) count so that you were sure all the MP3s in your playlist had copied to the device, for example.

Old 2nd April 2004, 23:17   #29
glop

info for All : the gusb has ben updated ( build 005) and have no more conflict with ipod. Soon (...) gut ad the "send to favorites folders" option..
Old 3rd April 2004, 18:25   #30
ampewin

Although it is a great plugin I don't use it due to the fact that you cannot hide certain volumes (HDD) coupled with the fact that you can delete a file without confirmation. The idea of deleting by accident my files on my HDD just by pressing accidentally the DEL key is freaking me out. On the other hand the feature to delete immediately the files from your removable media is good, it makes working with your removable faster.

But when Gutenberg implements the option to hide certain drives then this plugin would be absolutely perfect (for me at least - I think that most of the times keeping a plug-in light without an overabundance of features is great). But still it's already great. Congrats on Gutenberg for the development and Glop for the translation :-).
ampewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2004, 19:20   #31
glop

to ampewin (and the orthers too)
just before answer : Guteberg and me are french. Gutenberg is the developper, for myself i ask, tell and make the advertising all over the web, i'm not just a translator

"coupled with the fact that you can delete a file without confirmation"
mmm it's a choice. One thing more this kind of options make an under windows so ..not really cool...the first priority is to hide a/the drive you don't want
Old 3rd April 2004, 21:01   #32
psycho_maniac
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by glop
the first priority is to hide a/the drive you don't want
this is a good idea because i do not want the c: drive on there.
psycho_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 05:46   #33
faridzadeh

question on Gusb

I am having a small problem with Gusb. All my folders in the view aren't showing up in alphabetical order. I can't find a way to set this right. Any ideas?

thanks
faridzadeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2004, 12:00   #34
siebe83
Forum King

cool plugin!

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 16:59   #35
Backslider

Quote:
Originally posted by skinme!
I love how active development is still going on on this great plugin. It would perhaps be useful in your copying manager if you had a setting that force copied them in the order of the playlist since the MuVo's play order is based on when they were copied to it.
Thanks for writing such a useful plugin. I'm using it with a Muvo TX and had a idea similar to skinme. Supposedly the TX plays in alphabetical order, but it doesn't always seem to work that way for me. If there was an option to convert filenames on the fly based on playlist order/tag contents when "sending to" the other drive, that would be quite cool.

For example, \dir\Artist - 06 - Title.mp3 that was represented in the playlist as 1. Title - Artist could be copied to 1-Artist-Title.mp3 on the device, and so on. Generated filenames could be based on something like Exact Audio Copy's parameter scheme - %A for artist, %T for title, etc.

Thanks again for the work you put into this and considering new features.
Backslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 17:14   #36
skinme!
Forum King

My MuVo (original version) confounded me as to what order it played them in before. It never seemed the order I copied them onto, even doing it one at a time. However, now I use gUSB and it copies them on perfectly in the order of the playlist. I don't know about the TX though...

Old 21st February 2005, 21:29   #37
telly

Send a message via ICQ to telly Send a message via AIM to telly Send a message via Yahoo to telly
gusb and sorting

are there any similar plugins out there that will let sort files (by name) in a removable drive?

gusb only offers a static view, apparently sorted by the date when the files were copied on the drive.
telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2005, 15:59   #38
Hurby

Thank you for all your hard work.
Handy plugin!
Hurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2005, 22:29   #39
leenman

I've installed the plug-in but my Palm (Tungsten T) doesn't show up as in the screenshots.

The plug-in itself doesn't show up in the plug-in list (Options/Preferences/Plug-ins/General Purpose), but it does show up listed in Media Library Plug-ins. Am I missing something?

Winamp 5.5
XP
leenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2005, 01:50   #40
glop

gusb is not made for Palm !!!
gusb in only for WINAMP ON WINDOWS !!!!!

gusb is for the mp3 player who are reconized as mass storage

see ya
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion