Old 26th January 2004, 05:18   #1
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

woa, wait. Rap Sucks?

yeah. A lot of it does. It's true. I can legitimately watch Mtv and mistake one for the other and fall asleep and think I'm watching the same video an hour later (with Mtv, sometimes you really are).
Admitted a lot of them sound the same and blah de blah, but you know what? Some of it is pretty good. There are only a few I don't mind, and it's more songs than performers. I like Hey Ya, Get Down by Nas, Some Eminem, and a couple others. The ones that seem to have an oldish flare to them or just smooth beats and fun shit. I don't like to hear how 50 cent is going to blow away Ja Rules dad while fucking his mother, I want to hear about strange musings put to an old beat from the early 60's. Or easy-going bullshit put to a laid back beat that someone played with for six days and then slowed it down and now it's perfect.

And I'm a huge fan of a lot of Rock, I really dig in on punk (although I don't have enough of it), and I hated a lot of the eighties. I'm a defunct Nirvana child, who liked Alice in Chains and Soundgarden much more, hating All rap until the Beastie Boys, then Beck's crossover into a techno-rap-babble and then at last to Rage Against Machine, who finally made me open up to quick lyrics and hot loops (which, in Rage, were'nt really loops), and now I can appreciate a good beat. I love a good beat as long as it's not played out.

Wow, this is long and I haven't really said much. Some rap is decent. Try it before you buy it, sure, but at least try it.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2004, 05:39   #2
LollipopLustKil
Insomniac
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to LollipopLustKil
Hey Ya is a great song.

I actually like Eminem, I own all his CD's.

As for the others, there's quite a lot here and there I like. Some I own, have downloaded, but only the good stuff. Things like Ja Rule and 50 Cent, I hate. Can't stand.

Scotty Doesn't Know
LollipopLustKil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2004, 07:10   #3
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

I'm selective, too, in which rap I'll listen to. A majority does suck the big one. Can't stand quite a bit that's way overplayed on the radio and clubs.
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2004, 07:27   #4
NJK
The Frisian

does DeLa Soul go in the r&b section or are the early rappers??

if early rappers than I do like some of it - can't stand the majority of the rap today when on the radio it gets turned off.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2004, 09:25   #5
Spazz333
Major Dude

There are some good rappers.

Method Man, at least his songs like Judgement Day, and Cradle Rock.

Sage Francis. I've only heard his Makeshift Patriot song but damned if it aint't cool shit.

Some Outkast is good. Mrs. Jackson, B.O.B., and The Whole World.

Busta Rhymes is good.

And last but not least, Cypress Hill, all that is good about rap.

Spazz333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2004, 12:00   #6
taylormemer
made his slipknot mask in woodwork class
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to taylormemer Send a message via AIM to taylormemer Send a message via Yahoo to taylormemer
I'm sorry but i hate it all. I find it extremely terrible.

DeviantART|¤¤|DS-Lair|¤¤|Dissectional|¤¤|Pearl Drums|¤¤|Viralsound|¤¤|PabUK
Hey you! Don't tell me there's no hope at all. Together we stand, divided we fall.My PLAYLIST

MSN: taylor.jake@hotmail.com
taylormemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2004, 15:49   #7
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

gah, like some american rap shit, even a couple of eminem's songs....

but im much more into Asian and European Rap/Hip Hop.
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2004, 16:00   #8
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
I like a few of Snoop Dogg's songs...

Jurassic 5 are good...

Used to like Busta Ryhmes and Eminem...

I also like some other unknown people, like Styles Of Beyond, The Nextmen, Dub Pistols and Ozomatli...

Otherwise, I don't like rap at all...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2004, 16:08   #9
Banjo

oh dear, an ignorant rap discussion...
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2004, 20:27   #10
OutlawJim
Confused
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to OutlawJim Send a message via AIM to OutlawJim Send a message via Yahoo to OutlawJim
rap sucks. not music in my opinion. but its just an opinion, just incase someone tries to eat me for saying it

Nobby:I have ADD.... Germ:No shit, Nobby? Nobody would have ever guessed.
OutlawJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2004, 20:43   #11
Spazz333
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Banjo
oh dear, an ignorant rap discussion...
Please, enlighten us o' lord.

Old 26th January 2004, 22:18   #12
grumpyBB

Send a message via AIM to grumpyBB
Quote:
Originally posted by taylormemer
I'm sorry but i hate it all. I find it extremely terrible.
agreed
grumpyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2004, 00:09   #13
Banjo

Quote:
Originally posted by Spazz333
Please, enlighten us o' lord.

whatever whatever

i'm not about to go pretending i know all about the music you're into, so go figure
Old 27th January 2004, 00:54   #14
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

I find it easier to keep an open mind about music and it's paths than to keep myself blinded to anything from a certain genre.

I used to say that I hated rap, all kinds, no contest. But I can't say that anymore, because some of it isn't bad, some is actually decent. It's just like rock, you have to mill through the shit in order to find the good stuff.

Remember, I'm the Elvis Costello, Rancid, Clutch, KoRn, Beethovan, Hendrix, Cars, Clash, Jethro Tull, and Beatles fan. I'm into a lot of music, it's not like I'm a novice.

Old 27th January 2004, 00:54   #15
henry3k56
Forum King

To me, it does suck. I guess its just my selection and preference that makes it that way. Sadly enough, some of the popular ones from Eminem, I'll listen if its good to me. But I'm more rock and some alternative.

henry3k56 | Summer is here.
My Flickr Page & Frontierra | Posting Since September 2001.
henry3k56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2004, 00:55   #16
Spazz333
Major Dude

Just saying cause we really aren't pretending we know all about rap. Most of us just know that the majority of rap sucks to us.

::edit:: Holy shit, 2 other posts between typing and pressing submit?

Old 27th January 2004, 01:17   #17
henry3k56
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spazz333
::edit:: Holy shit, 2 other posts between typing and pressing submit?
Yep, all within two minutes.

henry3k56 | Summer is here.
My Flickr Page & Frontierra | Posting Since September 2001.
henry3k56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2004, 08:01   #18
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Rap is the antithesis of progess - everything about it is barbaric: The format is simple repetition of drumbeats along with 1-3 samples, and the subject matter is

crime: drugs, whores, vice

sob stories: how hard it is to make it as a low class individual in a low tax bracket

rich stories: conversely, infantile bragging about the size of one's diamonds, house, escalade, gun barrel.

"honor violence" committed with guns: there is not any other genre so fixated on the aspect of resolving conflicts by shooting the person. This comes from primitive ideas about the concepts of "respect".

braggadocio: there is also no other genre that has the singers talking about how great they are - constant references of the "my rhymes are the best" "dont mess with me or I will kill you" sort.

Rap is a stagnant pool, a negative, a wrongheaded format that deserves to be forgotten.

Now is the time for all good Americans to come to the aid of their Country
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2004, 21:30   #19
LollipopLustKil
Insomniac
(Forum King)

Eminem doesn't rap about anything to do with being "rich". It's only people like Jay-Z, Ja Rule, 50 Cent, etc. that do that.

Scotty Doesn't Know
Old 27th January 2004, 21:42   #20
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by LollipopLustKil
Eminem doesn't rap about anything to do with being "rich". It's only people like Jay-Z, Ja Rule, 50 Cent, etc. that do that.
Read back on what Xerxes said...What about his other songs like "Criminal" and "Kill You"? I'm sure you don't need to look up lyrics, give your song titles...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 27th January 2004, 22:58   #21
LollipopLustKil
Insomniac
(Forum King)

Yeah, but I'm talking about the rich aspect. Only thing I could back up.

Scotty Doesn't Know
Old 27th January 2004, 23:16   #22
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Old 28th January 2004, 03:02   #23
Banjo

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes
Rap is the antithesis of progess - everything about it is barbaric: The format is simple repetition of drumbeats along with 1-3 samples, and the subject matter is

sob stories: how hard it is to make it as a low class individual in a low tax bracket

rich stories: conversely, infantile bragging about the size of one's diamonds, house, escalade, gun barrel.

"honor violence" committed with guns: there is not any other genre so fixated on the aspect of resolving conflicts by shooting the person. This comes from primitive ideas about the concepts of "respect".

braggadocio: there is also no other genre that has the singers talking about how great they are - constant references of the "my rhymes are the best" "dont mess with me or I will kill you" sort.

Rap is a stagnant pool, a negative, a wrongheaded format that deserves to be forgotten.
time to turn off your radio and listen to some real hip-hop
Old 28th January 2004, 04:33   #24
You're Dumb!

Quote:

You sir are an idiot. You completely stereotyped an entire genre of music. That's like saying rock is all about a certain subject. Rap and rock are only formats, there is no set subject matter or topics that they cover. You can write a song about ANYTHING. You are just extremely ignorant and judgemental. TRUE alot of the commercial pop bullsh*t rap is about what you think it is about but that doesn't define it. There is tons of positive, thoughtful and itellectually provocative hip-hop. You just hear a hundred songs on MTV and think you know what hip-hop is. You're so lame it isn't even amusing.
You're Dumb! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2004, 05:29   #25
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

Quote:

Like I said, most of it is shit. But some of it I can deal with.

Quote:
Posted by You're Dumb!
You sir are an idiot. You completely stereotyped an entire genre of music. That's like saying rock is all about a certain subject. Rap and rock are only formats, there is no set subject matter or topics that they cover. You can write a song about ANYTHING. You are just extremely ignorant and judgemental. TRUE alot of the commercial pop bullsh*t rap is about what you think it is about but that doesn't define it. There is tons of positive, thoughtful and itellectually provocative hip-hop. You just hear a hundred songs on MTV and think you know what hip-hop is. You're so lame it isn't even amusing.
You make an interesting point, but flaming mods isn't the greatest of opening arguments.

Old 28th January 2004, 05:34   #26
Spazz333
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by You're Dumb!
Point taken. The same can be said about every genre that ever existed. Would it make you happier if we had a sister thread named "Woah, Wait. Rap kicks ass?"

Just take metal for example, where you can have bands praising Satan and praying for his return, then have Christian metal praising God. We're just all about opinions here, and quite a few of us think rap is just a pile of shit for the most part. Just start your own thread praising rap or go play in the rap battle thread.

Old 28th January 2004, 09:02   #27
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by You're Dumb!
Rap and rock are only formats, there is no set subject matter or topics that they cover. You can write a song about ANYTHING.

Like any genre, I am sure there is a minority that cares to actually write songs about ANYTHING.

Still The genre speaks for itself. Rap artists are so entangled in crime and vice that many of their greatest luminaries are shot by the gangs they glamorize. And last time I checked, the Notorious BIG, Tupac Shakur, and Run DMC were all beloved rap artists.

Also, be aware that if you want someone to deign to read your arguments, don't begin by calling the opposition an idiot.

Old 28th January 2004, 10:25   #28
NJK
The Frisian

Quote:

And last time I checked, the Notorious BIG, Tupac Shakur, and Run DMC were all beloved rap artists.
last time I checked they were very dead artists.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 28th January 2004, 10:32   #29
apola_anamisha
Major Dudette

Send a message via Yahoo to apola_anamisha
I personally think rap sucks but yeah its my personal opinion…..I’m not telling anyone to hate rap or like rap (or to like pop either )
Peace

All pop music is good music but all good music isn't pop music
Wanna know more about pop music or my boy-bands?
Westlife / Backstreet Boys / Savage Garden / NSync / Michael Learns to Rock

Last edited by apola_anamisha; 28th January 2004 at 10:53.
apola_anamisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2004, 13:30   #30
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by spaceplay
last time I checked they were very dead artists.
I remember each death was accompnied by news reports with black women saying that it was the "Day that the Music Died" ... blissfully unaware of the actual Day the Music Died.

Old 28th January 2004, 13:42   #31
NJK
The Frisian

Quote:
I remember each death was accompnied by news reports with black women saying that it was the "Day that the Music Died" ... blissfully unaware of the actual Day the Music Died.
as far as I know "the music died"on

febr 3 1959 the day a plane crashed - killing

ritchie valens
buddy holly
the big bopper

and it didn't die when "biggy"or "2pac" got shot

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 6th February 2004, 08:18   #32
K-Can

Stan-eminem feat dito and one feat Elton john. Very real look into some celebs lives and what some may have to deal with.

White america-Eminem, I think he nailed it.

No Love-Dead Prez. not violent big headed or anything. Not clean, but just goes to show that they are not above anyone and they would rather be with friends than piss about being ripped off by clubs.

Propaganda**-Dead Prez. A very real song, some interesting points that if read about is actually quite scary.

I am whatever you say i am-eminem. I would feel teh EXACT same way if i were in his shoes, or any other celeb for that matter.

The list goes on. Yes i will say rap is a lot of swearing and vulgar behaviour. you know what, a person has to look beyond the "fuck you bitch" "suck my cock" words and look at the whole song. You will find that a lot of it has actual real meaning. In fact most of the small time rappers (ie NOT on much music, radio etc) talks about what is REALLY happening on the streets, and how fucked it is not to be in the middle class america. I can totally understand if one doesnt liek the beat, an aquired taste for sure. But to say all sucks and should be forgotten, open your eyes its far morte real than most other genres. Just liek metal, shouldnt just be judged by Slip Knot or Cradle of Filth. If i only went by those two examples, fuck ya i would hate metal. Listening to women scream while dieing (well supposed to sound like it) and endless screaming just isnt music to me. Maybe if they shut their fuckin traps it would sound better, after all tehy are incredible musicians (instrument wise).

So please before saying all these ignorant things, look into it a bit more. The multi platnum, **** endorcing egotisticle "gangbanger" are not the genre, not even the majority.
K-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2004, 08:27   #33
NJK
The Frisian

Quote:
Originally posted by K-Can

So please before saying all these ignorant things, look into it a bit more. The multi platnum, **** endorcing egotisticle "gangbanger" are not the genre, not even the majority.
you are walking thin ice kid by saying a thing like the above.
most members here do know their way around in music and if Xerxes and I joke about it doesn't mean we don't know what we are talking about.

If for any reason you feel we are attacking you - you miss the point of all the posts above.

And don't tell us what we need to listen to. it's all personal taste we post here and if you want to point out some song >>>>> there are other threads for that.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 6th February 2004, 23:32   #34
K-Can

Actually wasn't pointed either of you. Was refering to the remark that "all rap sucks and should be forgotten", which has now been edited out. That is definatly an ignorant point of view. No question. As for the examples...just backing up my opinion. Couldn't care less if anyone cares to listen to it or not. Nothing wrong with examples in my mind.

To add a bit. I see where you guys are coming from, with all the money/gang/guns/drugs etc etc. That is not rap, that is rappers. Rap is a style of music (like metal, rock, pop and so on) not the lyrics. The artist can say ANYTHING and it can fit in ANY genre. Genres are not really depicted by the lyrics, more the style in which they are put together. See where I'm coming from?

I'm truely not intending to piss anyone off, so dont take anyhting I say as offensive...thats not how I mean it. By the by ignorance is not a bad thing, we are all ignorant to something. It just is, cant know everything.
K-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2004, 02:04   #35
Spazz333
Major Dude

Hmmm.. pretty much what I said near the first end of this thread, just in more words. I agree wholeheartedly... but I still hate most rap.

Old 7th February 2004, 03:58   #36
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Alrighty fellas (and Xerxes ), the whole basis of this thread was to say, "Hey, there are some decent rap songs out there other than the stupid shit."

Just remember that folks, and keep all music flowing
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2004, 09:18   #37
NJK
The Frisian

Quote:
Originally posted by ShyShy
Alrighty fellas (and Xerxes ), the whole basis of this thread was to say, "Hey, there are some decent rap songs out there other than the stupid shit."

agree with you on this one Shy

Got 2pac greatest hits on the stations playlist- got it for X-nis ( my son) but left it there because a song like "changes" isn't half bad.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
Old 8th February 2004, 01:00   #38
EnDurA
Major Dude

Rap Eats Dick

every few millennia there may be a good song, but i wish it would just die and never come back
EnDurA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2004, 05:27   #39
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by EnDurA
Rap Eats Dick

every few millennia there may be a good song, but i wish it would just die and never come back
Quote:
Originally posted by the irreverant ShyShy

Old 8th February 2004, 06:18   #40
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Jurassic 5
People Under the Stairs
Atmosphere