Old 26th March 2003, 10:22   #1
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

BIG MASSIVE NOISE -> (small wimper)

zootm pointed this out the other day. There has been a big tendancy in this war for the coallition to come out with some massive statements "CHEMICAL WEAPONS FACTORY FOUND", then a day or two later mutter under it's breath "*cough*well actually*mutter*there isn't*splutter*. "LOCAL UPRISING!".

The truth is being told but it is being well hidden and not talked about. Something almost picked up upon here

Is this a deliberate attempt to delude people or is it incompetance and a real over enthusiasm for coallition success? How is the propoganda war working from your point of view, does the media you see/read correct it's mistakes and over generalisations openly or covertly and quietly?

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2003, 12:07   #2
webthing
Forum King

Q. How is the propoganda war working from your point of view?

A. It's working pretty good. On you.

Q. Who said?
"Day one of the war will begin with the unrestrained bombing of Baghdad, a massive "shock and awe" assault that will make the world quiver in its boots with respect."
A. Not my Department of Defense.

Q. Who said?
"The coalition forces have no intention of taking Basra because it would involve street fighting and therefore a potential danger to civilians."
A. Not my State Dept.

Q. Who said?

"Saddam Hussein was killed or seriously injured in the initial two bombing raids on Baghdad. An ambulance was seen taking him to hospital"
A. Not my State Dept.

Q. Who said?

"What's more, Tariq Aziz is dead. Or he has fled. One of the two. We're not absolutely certain, but we think so. "
A. Not my Department of Defense.

Q. Who said?
"Saddam Hussein's entire government is disintegrating. It's falling apart!
A. United States Department of Defense

Q. Who said?

Which is, simply, to double my usual intake of nicotine for the designated 24 hours. Usually this is pleasurable. But the trouble is, since leaving the BBC, with its horrid, smoke-free corridors, my intake has already increased to about 60 a day, anyway. So this year, I had to try to cram in 120 cigarettes, which meant setting the alarm for 0500 to give myself a head start and, during the late evening, occasionally smoking two or three cigarettes at once. I managed it, but my chest still hurts and when I woke up the other morning there was a shrivelled brown thing on the pillow next to me. I think it was part of a lung, or perhaps my oesophagus. I wondered for a moment about maybe cramming it back down my throat and then going back to sleep, but it looked too unappetising for that. So I just left it there, for the children to play with, or the cat.
I don't know what it is that makes me hate national days so much. I loathe Red Nose Day, every simpering, witless second of it, even though I'm well aware that it is doing good for somebody, somewhere. And that's the important thing, isn't it?

A. Rod Liddle

Start reading facts not fiction. Just because some bullshit reporter wrote a story in some bullshit rag does not make it true. His job is to sell newspapers. Don't tell me this is were you get your facts?

The facts come from the News Briefings from

United States Department of Defense
Secretary Rumsfeld and Gen. Myers, Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff

Department of Defense Press Briefings 3/25/03

Department of Defense Press Briefings 3/24/03

Department of Defense Press Briefings 3/22/03

Department of Defense Press Briefings 3/21/03

Secretary Rumsfeld Interview with Tim Russert, NBC Meet The Press

Also

The Whitehouse Press Secretary Briefings by Ari Fleischer

Press Secretary Briefings by Ari Fleischer 3/24/03

Press Secretary Briefings by Ari Fleischer 3/21/03

Press Secretary Briefings by Ari Fleischer By Date

These men come out to meet the worlds press daily. To answer as truefully as they can. These are the people that know what is going on in this war. They don't lie and make up propoganda.
"The truth is being told."

Headlines like "CHEMICAL WEAPONS FACTORY FOUND" are made just to sell newspapers.

Who the hell is Rod Liddle?
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2003, 16:09   #3
zootm
Forum King

they've been making allusions in ways such that journalists will jump on them, though. they say a little thing that they know journalists will jump on, and essentially they're encouraging a media looking for "scoops" to over-exaggerate.

example: "we have found what we believe may be a massive chemical weapons facility"
people jump when they hear "massive", and just ignore the "what we believe may be" quantifier.

example: "early reports indicate that the missiles fired at kuwait may have been SCUD type"
and then it takes them a long while to come back on this. basically all early reports could say is that these missiles were iraqi, and were missiles.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2003, 10:41   #4
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

http://media.guardian.co.uk/iraqandt...921649,00.html

A more detaied and interesting report on this issue.

Old 28th March 2003, 22:54   #5
nature spirit
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to nature spirit
webthing, the universally known rule goes that 'propaganda' is usually diffused by the authorities to justify its acts, so chances are that it's working pretty good rather on you and pro-war ppl.
nature spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2003, 01:51   #6
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

or it's working good on you as most of the media is against the war.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2003, 15:35   #7
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Fickle
or it's working good on you as most of the media is against the war.
really? y'know, all the US-based media i've seen is for the war (admittedly that doesn't go very far), and the majority of newspapers i've seen here are also pro-war... even those that were anti-war before the war are basically pro-war now it's begun...

Old 4th April 2003, 21:25   #8
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

Propaganda is easier when the government controls the media. The US gov't is not responsible for the weird statements of the press. (like Bat-Boy). You act as if the government owns the stations. It doesn't, they are privately owned. They can paraphrase things to bend the news to thier perogative. The government does not control the media.

Old 4th April 2003, 22:06   #9
zootm
Forum King

the government controlling the media, and the government manipulating the media are two different things, fickle.

Old 4th April 2003, 22:07   #10
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Manufacturing Consent : The Political Economy of the Mass Media

You might find that an extreamly interesting read on the way propoganda and the media in the US and to a lesser extent Britain work.

Old 4th April 2003, 22:11   #11
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

*gasp!*
not Britain! Those wonderful chaps fucking with the minds of thier people!? Unthinkable!

Like Iraq isn't Propaganda extreme. Evidently we're not within 100 miles of baghdad and are trapped in 6 seperate cities. 1984, anyone?

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News