Old 22nd February 2005, 02:32   #1
tracerh
Banned

Design Choice - Opinion Required: To Alpha Blend Or Not?

I would like opinion on whether to utilize alpha blending or not.

Say I have skin with a complex background shape, and complex alpha channel, that looks really good when the user has alpha blending on but looks pretty naff with alpha blending off. What should I do: carry on and don't worry about non-alpha users or bin it and go with a simpler shape that looks ok with or without alpha?

I don't know what percentage of users use alpha blending? If it was 75% I would go with the complex shape, less than that and I'm not sure.

I have read the thread about coding a warning if alpha is disabled, not sure if that option is enough to sway me.

Any ideas/opinion appreciated.

PS. When alpha is disabled, Winamp takes any 'non-255' pixel value in the alpha channel as a 100% transparent area, yeah?
tracerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2005, 03:27   #2
gaekwad2
Foorum King

I think you can avoid that problem by making it use different images when desktop alpha is off but I'm not 100% sure.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2005, 03:35   #3
leechbite
Major Dude

Send a message via Yahoo to leechbite
i dont use alpha on, its too much on the CPU on my system. i dont know about other systems. and alpha blending is not supported on all OS.

its not 'non-255', i think it comes with a threshold (maybe 128) or something.

leechbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2005, 17:03   #4
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

Location: Universe > Milkyway > Sol > Earth > Europe > Germany > Bavaria > Near Nuremberg
Send a message via ICQ to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via AIM to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via Yahoo to -=RoNtZ=-
mmm... most people do their skins with alpha blending (i guess) .... the smallest part of them cares how it'll look without desktopalpha. good skins though, have a second backgroundimage for no dta. (i don'T say a skin without that is a bad skin!)
making a nice and clean no-dta version of a backgroundimage isn't that easy in freeform, and many people fail here.
try it, it'S worth the effort

Frozen skins: Gravestone Betaskins: Mushroom ::-:: The Claw
In development: TechnodropFinished: Draculas Helmet (<-- still waiting for some color themes!) ::-:: Hal's eye
-=RoNtZ=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2005, 03:47   #5
graigsmith

Send a message via AIM to graigsmith
if a skin has rounded edges, and no antialiasing in the alpha channel, i won't use it. unless if the rounded edge is really small like winamp modern.
graigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2005, 18:24   #6
! mp3 download

On pentium 3 Alpha Blend is slow down ;(
Old 4th March 2005, 18:21   #7
56K-Surfer

Send a message via ICQ to 56K-Surfer
It is right that alphablending isn´t supported on all OS but today most users have WinXP. Even when you bought your computer at a supermarket you get it with WinXP. So...

But if my OS wouldn´t support it and I would try out this skin and see every pixel on the "round" edge ...

So if it is possible to create an acceptable non-alpha shape, do it and include it in the skin.
56K-Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 18:35   #8
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

Location: Universe > Milkyway > Sol > Earth > Europe > Germany > Bavaria > Near Nuremberg
Send a message via ICQ to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via AIM to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via Yahoo to -=RoNtZ=-
guys... my hals eye is a circle and the pixeling without alpha is totally ok!most skinners just don't put enough effort in it.

Frozen skins: Gravestone Betaskins: Mushroom ::-:: The Claw
In development: TechnodropFinished: Draculas Helmet (<-- still waiting for some color themes!) ::-:: Hal's eye
-=RoNtZ=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins