Old 8th October 2005, 17:07   #1
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Nice project car

http://www.craigslist.org/sby/car/102207736.html

2nd-generation RX-7 with an LT1...Wish I had an extra $3500 laying around about now...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2005, 17:48   #2
rockouthippie
Banned

I usually prefer to build my own nightmares, rather than to try to take someone elses over.

This guys particular project is stupid. The V8 is too heavy for an RX-7 and will make it handle like a pig, if he doesn't bend the car the first time he goes over a speedbump.

Shoulda just built the rice cooker. Woulda been way better. A little NOS, a turbo, and a new ECU goes a long way with RX-7's.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2005, 20:14   #3
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Two things...

1. Many people have already done LS1/RX-7 swaps with the majority being sucessfull; Don't know how you can get "pig" handeling out of a decent power:weight ratio (~2700-2800lbs with a V8?) and 50/50 weight distribution...

2. I'd like to see someone try to put the word "torque" in the RX-7's dictionary with a 13B...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 8th October 2005, 20:38   #4
General Geoff
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to General Geoff Send a message via AIM to General Geoff
There's a big difference between the weight of an LT1 (iron block), and an LS1 (aluminum block). LS1 conversions are great, LT1s notsomuch.

General Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2005, 21:43   #5
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

OK then...You take the LT1 out and then you drop an LS1 instead...You've already got the engine bay rigged for a small-block V8, so there shouldn't be any problem outside of finding an engine in the first place...

There's only a 20lb difference between a 13B and an LS1 too, by the way...I really don't see much of a weight penalty in that case...

Old 9th October 2005, 13:09   #6
protegechris
Forum Queen

wheee mazda. I have 2300 saved

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 18:54   #7
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Good luck with emissions tests...

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 19:41   #8
b0n3r

Send a message via AIM to b0n3r
You can always get your car smogged for a little extra fee... $$$
b0n3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 22:44   #9
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboWaboAddict
Good luck with emissions tests...
Think you can break high horsepower numbers in a 13B rotary without breaking that?

Old 10th October 2005, 23:43   #10
Menchions

nice car... :'(... too bad im broke
Menchions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2005, 03:38   #11
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
Think you can break high horsepower numbers in a 13B rotary without breaking that?
???

horsepower aside, it would be easier to get good numbers from a beefed version of the original equipment than it would be on a mild V8 any day.

Idiot's Advocate
Old 11th October 2005, 19:54   #12
b0n3r

Send a message via AIM to b0n3r
And note to all....if you want a high performance vehicle, and want good power gains on your vehicle, be prepared to break emissions and get your car illegally smogged.
b0n3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2005, 21:33   #13
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by b0n3r
And note to all....if you want a high performance vehicle, and want good power gains on your vehicle, be prepared to break emissions and get your car illegally smogged.
Not necessarily... paxton and quite a few other companies make 50 state legal supercharger kits for various autos.

Idiot's Advocate
Old 11th October 2005, 21:44   #14
devils night

Put a V8 in an RX-7. One way to ruin an RX-7. oh well im just happy with my 99 cougar project car

Proud Winamp user since 1997
(Winamp 1.006)
devils night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2005, 21:55   #15
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

We decided to build my son's 61 Comet. I have a 64 Cyclone (302 4V, headers, 4 speed top loader, Hurst Competition Plus, 9" rear, brand new Polygraphite front suspension, and new steering box). Its got a really ratty body but it runs like a raped ape. We're gonna strip it to a shell and bolt everything on to the 61.

Same body inside, everything will bolt up... the only parts I need are a set of bucket seat frames to recover to match his interior. Ought to be schweet!

Idiot's Advocate
Old 11th October 2005, 23:18   #16
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboWaboAddict
???
You probably have a better chance at building an LS1's horsepower numbers while keeping the emissions clean versus a 13B...They're (Rotaries are) finicky to tune for high horsepower without compromising emissions, and it's turbocharged induction doesn't help emissions matters much either (But only if you live in the Nazi-run California)...

Old 12th October 2005, 20:31   #17
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
You probably have a better chance at building an LS1's horsepower numbers while keeping the emissions clean versus a 13B...They're (Rotaries are) finicky to tune for high horsepower without compromising emissions, and it's turbocharged induction doesn't help emissions matters much either (But only if you live in the Nazi-run California)...
That's why you should always have some friends in the country to avoid the DEQ. .

I don't when you guys (if you did) last drove one of these. They are too light for a V8. Even a fat lady in the front seat is a bummer on the handling.

Another thing is that I can count on well less than one hand anyone who has actually done a successful motor xfer that wasn't just bastarded up.

About the only way to do this right would to be to build a complete subframe and drop the RX7 body on top.

The stock rotary should be beefable to well over 300 w/o NOS, so why screw with a V8?.

If I was gonna stick a V8 in a little car, I'd get a Cogsworth Vega or a Monza or a mini-truck. These have a strong enough suspension and frame for a V8.

You'll notice dude is selling his "dream car".
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2005, 22:03   #18
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Quote:
I don't when you guys (if you did) last drove one of these. They are too light for a V8. Even a fat lady in the front seat is a bummer on the handling.
Mike Corbett drives a 1993 Mazda RX-7 powered by an LS-1 in the 2005 Sport Compact Car magazine's USSC (Ultimate Street Car Challenge)...There's info in the current Nov. issue of SCC, which I think pulls off somewhere around 1.14g on the skidpad...

Besides, an LS1 + transmission doesn't weight as sigificantly much as a Rotary + turbos + transmission does anyway...Taking a lightweight car and throwing in an engine that puts down gobs of torque would make a killer track machine...

Quote:
The stock rotary should be beefable to well over 300 w/o NOS, so why screw with a V8?.
13Bs are weird, though...Throw too much boost without lowering the compression ratio just low enough can send the car to hell before you can even say "rotary" - It's a general thing with alot of engines, but rotaries are more prone to detonation than most pistons if not tuned carefully...And then there's the situation of adjusting the apex seals to handel higher horsepower levels...

Not to mention they're not friendly with gas...Hell, even a 400hp LS2 engine has a better chance at seeing the light of day at 20+mpg than a 270hp 13B...

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions