Old 31st March 2011, 02:00   #1
pball_inuyasha

How to get now playing info?

I know there are various things out there for this, but I want to know how to make my own. For example I use GTSdll on mIRC to get now playing info but that script is dead and isn't returning album and other info with newer winamp versions.

So how does one go about getting song information from winamp? I haven't been able to find any guide with apis or whatever is used before.
pball_inuyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 09:37   #2
aljanjen

try reading this to fix what info is shown in gtsdll http://www.gts-stuff.com/index.php/topic,1663.0.html
aljanjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 05:25   #3
pball_inuyasha

Thanks for link that got the missing stuff showing. It's kinda making me wonder why anything changed though. Actually I think I noticed what changed, winamp doesn't ask if you want shared settings or per user settings. Meaning it probably automatically does per user settings and stores info in the appdata folder. Now I know why winamp didn't have any settings after I copy and pasted it to another computer. I don't like this new feature.

I still wouldn't mind learning to get the info myself if anyone knows how.
pball_inuyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:26   #4
DrO

that link is a poor example as it then means people hard-code paths checks to %appdata%\Winamp when it is still possible to make the path custom (i and a few others do that and it annoys the hell out of me plug-ins / external apps which assume paths).

for the comment about not liking things being in the user settings folder by default (as has been the case since Winamp 5.5 due to moving support of the client to only work on versions of Windows which work in that manner), i made a tool allowing for the path(s) to be changed at http://nunzioweb.com/daz/pathsini/index.html which also links to the information about the paths.ini file if you'd rather do it manually, etc.

as for the main issue, there is no need to be even knowing the Winamp path as it's possible to query information directly from Winamp once it's HWND is found and then using SendMessage(..) and for somethings the ReadProcessMemory(..) hacks which are available without capturing window titles or force saving the Winamp playlist and all that sort of thing.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/winampminimagic/ has code for how to do it (which can be compiled as a supporting dll or into anything else as long as you know C - should otherwise be simple enough to port to something else as i'm aware of a delphi port of it in use). that also has an example showing some of the information which can be obtained from Winamp using it, though there's no pre-compiled version of the dll and test exe as i've not gotten around to finishing it all off.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development