Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama

Old 30th June 2011, 02:42   #1
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

I can't stand pop music, but remixed pop is tolerable (shameless self-promotion)

My latest set:

Last year's mix:

These are the result of exploiting YouTube search auto-complete. Nobody else made a video with these titles despite it being a popular search term, so I decided to be the first. Feedback is appreciated.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 00:48   #2
fc*uk

Yeah ... I dunno about you dude.

I mean, remixed pop is tolerable?

Maybe to some, not to me

Good job though. I hear you on that controller. Personally, I've got one that you can actually beat match from. Yeah it works. You know how much more other shit you can do if you just have the software take care of it for you? Shit, Ableton does not even give you the option to turn it off last time I checked. It just does it.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 07:37   #3
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

I heard that. Last time I tried mixing the old-fashioned way on a pair of good-ol turntables, I was terribly rusty. You tend to forget essential skills when the software does all the fun for you. I rely on visual waveforms so much now that I've almost completely forgot how to just listen to the music. However, I've actually considered Ableton because of it's flexibility, but the interface seems more music production-oriented than for DJing (and for that I have FL Studio & Audacity). I'm too attached to the VDJ interface to let go...

Also, What are you currently using to mix, hardware/software-wise, fc*uk?

Old 15th July 2011, 15:58   #4
fc*uk

So, I've used Ableton a few times and mostly got the same impression you did. However, Ableton is great for the guys that are talented enough just to walk into a club and start creating music off the cuff. Deadmouse, Tiesto, and Armin use this for their gigs for sure and those three definitely are not playing tracks anymore.

I have also used Torq in the past. Cue into the words used and past. So, first their time stretching blew; blew so bad no one could use it. I was dumb enough it wait that out. When they got the time stretching fixed they then had massive sound problems resulting from the "fix". I was dumb enough to wait that out. They then released Torq 1.5 and allowed everyone to upgrade for free if they had stuck with them for the past year and a half. Torq 1.5 was to fix everything. Or mostly everything. Or at least they tried; kick drums still clipped no matter what time stretching mode you used. They then released Torq 2.0, said we fixed it and added 4 decks; that will be $50 for 1.5 owners. I have no idea of Torq 2.0 actually works or not, I jumped ship long before it was released. I would stay far, far away from Torq unless you like your sets sounding like shit due to no fault of your own.

So, I actually use Traktor anymore. I currently use Traktor Pro, but should really upgrade to Traktor Pro 2. Everyone has said the product is amazing and that there are no real problems with it. I was able to actually find Traktro Pro being sold insanely cheap through www.djspal.com. I picked up my copy for $70; they are not selling that cheaply now, but keep your eye on them; they will do it again. I also like those guys because they run a brick and mortar store a few miles from me in Michigan.

As for a controller ... when in clubs that are fortunate enough to have them I will use a Pioneer CDJ-1000 or CDJ-2000. I would love to have a set of those.... but who can afford them? CLearly, when in a club, I'll just bring my laptop and an audio 4 connection.

Most of the time I am not playing in the clubs that are well known enough to have CDJs ... in which case I will use an M-Audio Xponent. It's a great controller and I have not had any of the pblems people complain about. The one complaint that is very real about the Xponent is that the faders and pitch sliders are loose, loose, loose! You so as much as get close to one of em and they will move on you.

I have also been fortunate enough to literally play around with an S4 a few times. That's a great controller. I would really like to get one if I could find the money for it...

I have never used VDJ though. People say great things about it. The software looks nice, more similar to Torq than Traktor I would say. How is VDJ on the beat detection? Torq always messed that up too; Traktor maybe gets one or two tracks out of 100 wrong. Is VDJ about the same in your experience?
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 23:25   #5
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Well since I haven't really used anything else for DJing (well I tried to use Serato Scratch Live once, but I couldn't figure out how to do even the simplest stuff in it, like actually show an interface that wasn't just a grey screen), I can't really compare VDJ to anything else, but I'll say that the beat detection is accurate enough that very rarely have to use the pitch bend to keep the beats in time. I'd say it's detection accuracy is about the same as your description of Traktor.

My only complaints are that I wish there more features built-in (I get too lazy to download plugins), and that the software is really picky about DPC latency. In Win7, I average about 100-200μs, but apparently that was too high for version 6, because I couldn't use the Master Tempo (timestretching) function without the audio sounding slightly "robotic" and the bassline "skipping" & not hitting as hard. Therefore, I had to use XP solely for DJing, because the audio lags a whole lot less (around 10-20μs). In version 7 they fixed that issue for the most part, but you can still kinda hear the bassline issues I tried to describe; it's prominent in the second song on the 2011 vid.

However, I still prefer to boot into XP because since I do nothing else on that OS, there's less potential problems to worry about when doing live gigs. I still would like to get a dedicated laptop, though; schlepping a giant desktop everywhere is a royal pain in the ass.

Do you mix on OSX or Windows? If you're a Mac DJ, how is it? There must be some advantages over using a Macbook instead, otherwise I'll save myself the pain of spending double the value for hardware and just get an Acer or something.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama