Old 19th May 2001, 23:45   #1
justinr

Send a message via ICQ to justinr Send a message via AIM to justinr
I really don't like those. Is there a way to disable them? They auto change my mp3 names, I hate them. Or atleast could someone who works for winamp make something for me that will disable it. I have a strict naming system that I don't want messed up by that auto junk.
justinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2001, 23:50   #2
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

if you dont like it, dont use it. you dont have to use them, just uncheck "ide v.2" in the file info box (click a file then press alt+3)
InvisableMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2001, 23:57   #3
justinr

#1 I never added them in the first place.
#2 I have over 3500 mp3s in 1 list. I don't want to go through all of them and remove all of that.
#3 It says I can't remove them.
#4 Files are not read-only

So I need a faster and simpler way. I went to this id3 tag stripper but it gives me errors on every single file I do. So it is not good.
Old 20th May 2001, 00:03   #4
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

i have 7312 mp3s and when i get that problem, i just sort them by genere and sometimes by artist and keep them in seprate lists. (i hate having to scroll for 3 hours trying to find a song i want to play)

but i had the same problem as you,(i dont do it that way anymore, though) but i just sucked it up and disabled v2 a song at a time.
Old 20th May 2001, 00:05   #5
justinr

Did you read what I said?

It will not let me remove them.

I had to through and manually remove the Original ID1 tags. I don't know how to get rid of them if it won't let me.

Oh btw, I don't mean to sound like I'm a dick as I'm saying this stuff. I am just frustrated. This is the whole reason I kept using the old winamp when they came out with that version that changed it. But then I got win2k and I had to get the new one.
Old 20th May 2001, 00:13   #6
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

would you cant remove a id3 v1 (or v2) tag. you can just erase the info. and if you want to do that, do it by hand. but i dont see why someone wouldnt use the tags, its just to messy to do.
Old 20th May 2001, 01:29   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Prefs (Ctrl+P) -> Input -> MPEG Audio Decoder -> config -> Title tab
Either uncheck "Use ID3 Tags", or change the config to your own personal taste, eg.
%7 = filename only
%8 - %7 = path - filename
etc etc etc.
(default = %1 - %2 : Artist - Title)
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2001, 04:38   #8
fatboy

similar problem

Ok, my problem is that I have thousands of MP3s, and there is no way I want to go through them all and deselect the ID3v2 tag for each one. I spent much time already making sure that each of my songs has a good ID3v1 tag, it's ridiculous to have to go back through again. I know that you can shut off ID3 use in the mpeg audio decoder cofigure window, but that is "Use ID3v1/v2 tags." I want to continue using version 1 tags. Any help?
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2001, 18:39   #9
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
As you currently don't have the option of disabling the ID3v2 tags while keeping the ID3v1 tags enabled, there is only one other option if you want to keep using ID3.

Download a mass tagger such as MPTagger or Dr. Tag. You can select your mp3 directory, and set the program to copy the ID3v1 tag information into the ID3v2 tag.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2001, 21:39   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, but what I don't understand is, you've obviously written the ID3v1 tags yourself (or made sure they were to your liking), but where did the ID3v2 tags come from? Were they there originally, or has some other software mysteriously taken the law in to its own hands and written them in against your will?
Naturally, this has got nothing to do with Winamp, because it only displays what's already there. You can only change the actual ID3 tag structure for an individual mp3 if you edit the File Info box (Alt+3) & click "Update".
In future, it'd be wise to edit the ID3 tags for each new mp3 as you acquire them!
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2001, 15:17   #11
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
A program, such as ID3KILL, available here, will let you strip the ID3v2 tags from your mp3s, while maintaining the ID3v1 tags. Winamp, by default, displays the ID3v1 tag when there is no ID3v2 tag is present.

I'd still recommend using the mass tagger to convert the tags, rather than stripping them. It makes your files more compatible with other (hardware and software) players.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2001, 20:19   #12
fatboy

i used dr tag and it worked great, thanks guys.
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2002, 01:46   #13
edan

Egg you saved me so much frustration with this information:
CTRL+P > Preferences > Input > Highlight "nullsoft MPEG audio decoder", hit configure, select the "title" table, uncheck the "user ID3v1/v2 tags option

The first time I downloaded winamp I almost deleted because the stupid tags annoyed me after I renamed each song and it changed their names. After seeing your post I changed it and kept winamp. Now the second time I downlaoded winamp because I upgraded to XP and deleted a whole bunch of things, I could slightly remember where it was but not exact and so that's why I came here. But I see this post again and it helps so much..so I've bookmarked it to make sure I never have to search the forums again for such a stupid question. I didn't know why so many posts said that you can't disable it or cahnge it and I was angry because I knew you could but I just couldn't find the right thread.. or at least I was thinking of the above cahnge to make.
Anyways, Thanks a lot!!
edan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support