Old 31st March 2004, 16:29   #81
mysterious_w
Forum King

My 4 attempts to get 5.03

1. Sat 27 Mar 4.00pm

At public libary. Downloaded installer, split it into 4 parts only to find that one floppy didn't work.

2. Tue 30 Mar 11.00am

School IT lesson. Internet not working due to the admins being paranoid after my friend hacked the system.

3. Wed 31 Mar 11.00am

Music lesson, internet not working again.

4. Wed 31 Mar 4.30pm

Back at libary, found out they've made a small update, have to split program again.

Gah!

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2004, 17:00   #82
Fenix_Ikki

Send a message via ICQ to Fenix_Ikki
can docking be used with winamp2 skins?
Fenix_Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2004, 17:09   #83
mark e
Major Dude

yes.
and winamp 5.03a is out. some issues fixed
betanews.com
mark e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2004, 18:09   #84
Fenix_Ikki

Send a message via ICQ to Fenix_Ikki
Quote:
Originally posted by mark e
yes.
and winamp 5.03a is out. some issues fixed
betanews.com
do you know how can i do this? i have some winamp skins
Thanks
Fenix_Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2004, 18:14   #85
Dextro

Wait, it's possible to use docking with Classic skins?!?!?!

WTF?!?!?!? isn't this supposed to be a feature of the Winamp Modern skin ONLY?!?!?!?!

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2004, 18:27   #86
DrO

Fenix_Ikki: it's only supported in modern skins and the skin has to have the option enabled in it for the feature to work. though it is possible for a plugin to add this feature (xdock for instance deals with the main window)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2004, 18:46   #87
Dextro

Thanks DrO, just like I thought

Old 1st April 2004, 01:15   #88
PatrickNeil

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
http://www.nunzioweb.com/daz/files/F...Disk_v1_21.exe -> i can't code at times it seems

-daz
Thanks, this does fix it for me.

Patrick
PatrickNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2004, 15:52   #89
evil_oj

Hey Christophe,

Did you get my private message?

thanks,

3 I encode my music in Ogg Vorbis
I know enough about music and computers not to like computerized music.
evil_oj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 02:36   #90
shaneh
Major Dude

I have disabled all 3rd party plugins and the playlist still wont stay docked. The reason being, winamp is actually crashing on exit (disable the SEH handler and you will see the crash). Seems to crash whenever anything in winamp is docked.

DrO, what changes did you make to find on disk to prevent this?

As I said, winamp continues to crash for me even with ALL 3rd party plugins removed, so at the moment theres no changes I can make to the context menu plugin to fix it, as it seems to be winamp that is causing the problem. (for me anyway). It could be because I am using a visual style or something, Im not sure.
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 06:57   #91
sanosuke
Major Dude

Shaneh did you ctrl + right click to use the docking? It happens to be very buggy.

For now just right click > windows settings > docking bar

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
sanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 07:06   #92
shaneh
Major Dude

I just put winamp in windowshade mode, then right click->window settings->dock to top etc.

Ive tried dragging, dockng just the playlist, just the main window, to the top and sides, always on top, auto hide etc and all sorts of things. The docking works fine, but when closing winamp it crashes (only apparent when SEH is disabled, but the effects can be seen either way in that the settings aren't saved).

Update: I just did a fresh install of winamp and it doesnt seem to crash when the main window is docked anymore. Perhaps I had some strange setting, or perhaps its because it was an install over 2.9. However, it still crashes when the playlist window is docked (keep in mind this is a fresh install with no plugins).

Last edited by shaneh; 2nd April 2004 at 07:28.
Old 2nd April 2004, 08:49   #93
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by shaneh
DrO, what changes did you make to find on disk to prevent this?
my fix was restoring the playlist window subclass to the playlist window and not the main window (really don't know how that happened )

shaneh, what's the crash message you're getting?

i know there were issues with jtfe during the 5.03 dev cycle where it would crash winamp if the playlist was docked but that was down to late unsubclassing/unhooking but that was fixed and Francis fixed it his end as well (at least against jtfe).

-daz
Old 2nd April 2004, 10:19   #94
shaneh
Major Dude

Thanks DrO, based on that I assume the media library plugin is doing something similar, 'cause when I disable it the crash no longer appears.

I dont have jtfe installed, and like I said, have disabled all 3rd party plugins and the crash still appears. (though disabling the media library seems to fix it). The crash seems to appear in unassigned memory, which I suppose might happen if the wndproc points to a module that has been unloaded (gen_ml). Strange that it only happens when the windows are docked.

My toaster plugin also causes a crash when the main window is docked for some reason. Strangely I made the same mistake of restoring the wrong wndproc, but it still crashes after being fixed ?. My guess is something a bit buggy in winamp.
Old 2nd April 2004, 10:31   #95
DrO

hmmm, i know with a few of my early attempts at subclassing winamp could cause problems if the unsublcass was done at the wrong point and also restoring the wrong window as you've had as well and yes, docking is a bit of a strange one for these weird little issues.

attached is the basic code i use for subclassing just to compare against (slightly the wrong forum but hey ) - the code for an unsubclass is the safest way i think.

-daz
Attached Files
File Type: txt subclass_proc.txt (837 Bytes, 275 views)
Old 2nd April 2004, 10:40   #96
shaneh
Major Dude

I do it in pretty much the same way, theres not too much to it. Im pretty sure im doing it right, but toaster registers and creates its own window classes and does a few other tricks which I will have to look into.

But first I would like to make sure winamp is functioning correctly. At the moment, it would appear that it may be the cause of the bug, as even nullsoft gen_ml causes a crash, and only when winamp is docked - which is new and potentially buggy code.
Old 2nd April 2004, 15:27   #97
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm... no crashing here (WinXP sp1).

Tried with main docked to top & bottom with playlist winshade docked to top/bottom or playlist normal docked to left/right, all with ML visible, and no crashes when closing Winamp. On reopening, Winamp is in exactly the same condition as when I closed it.

And that's with DrO's jtfe, find file on disk & autoplay plugins, and ml_www, ml_gusb, ml_generic, ml_impex.

Try a clean install maybe?
[edit] oh, you already have, hehe.

"It could be because I am using a visual style or something, Im not sure"

Tell us more...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 17:30   #98
shaneh
Major Dude

Tried a clean install, I didnt change any settings, and it still crashed. I had a patched version of uxtheme.dll so I could load custom visual styles (instead of the crappy MS fisher price crap) - but I restored the original just to see if that was the problem, but as I suspected it didnt make a difference.

I installed on a windows 2003 server image and it worked ok. Ive even resorted to tracing the process in a debugger - it looks like it is hitting a SEH handler in gen_ff - which I assume is trying to call some non-existant code from gen_ml which has been closed and purged.

Ive tried changing resolutions, completely disabling my TV out, disabling the themes service, running under a different account, you name it. Im fairly competent when it comes to this sort of stuff so I can safely say im not running some kind of dodgy setup with spyware etc. Although I do have recent Nvidia drivers so perhaps they are causing the problem. (although they are not beta, and i dont run all the fancy stuff that comes with them).

But the SEH in gen_ff is still calling invalid code, removing gen_ml avoids the problem and it only happens when the playlist is docked. All these conditions lead me to conclude it is a bug with winamp - regardless of what particular aspect of my setup is triggering it. Itd be great if Nullsoft released the code to portions of winamp, even if they exclude the in_ out_ and other plugins. Id be able to contribute back with bugfixes, or at least see where I might be going wrong

PS. I prompted the author of ml_gusb to fix a small bug with the way he hooks the send to menu, and hes since released a patched version. not sure when it will be up though.

EDIT: unless a dev acknowledges this bug, Ill chuck in a spare drive in this machine and do a fresh install of XP and test it out, in case its a weird timing issue, cause this is a reasonably fast machine.

Last edited by shaneh; 2nd April 2004 at 18:27.
Old 3rd April 2004, 03:51   #99
shaneh
Major Dude

Update: After a bit of debugging I have found the problem. It is in fact an issue with gen_ml being unloaded before gen_ff. gen_ff attempts to call the wndproc of gen_ml after it has been unloaded.

Renaming gen_ff to gen_zff resolved the issue, as I guess it is loaded/unloaded in a different order. Try it for yourself, rename gen_ff to gen_aff and see if it crashes.

I have put a bug report in the bug report section for this issue.
Old 3rd April 2004, 05:33   #100
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

But so far, it doesn't crash as gen_ff for anyone but you...

[edit]
No, I didn't try renaming it to gen_aff.dll
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2004, 06:00   #101
shaneh
Major Dude

Did you even try renaming gen_ff to gen_aff? (with other 3rd party plugins disabled, as they may restore the wndproc before gen_ff gets unloaded). I am not experiencing this bug either, now that I have changed the unload order of the plugins.

I installed WA5.03 on a virgin windows 2003 vmware image, and surprise surprise there was no crash. However.... renaming gen_ff to gen_aff causes the fault. I have reproduced this a number of times. This is on a completely clean installation on reliable and easily duplicated "hardware" (vmware).

I have traced the code, and can confidently say with 99% certainty that gen_ff is calling the wndproc of gen_ml after gen_ml has been unloaded. Changing the unload order of these plugins stops the bug from appearing, as expected. (Note gen_ff is not actually mentioned in the crash message because technically the address isn't really any module anymore, as gen_ml (or other plugin) has been unloaded - but I assure you the problem originates from gen_ff calling a non-existant wndproc).

Even though I dont have the source, I could point to you the location of the buggy 'callwindowproc or sendmessage' that is located in gen_ff's quit procedure. Or the failure of gen_ml to unsubclass the window properly. (Actually, it is most likely when gen_ff undocks the playlist and hence sends a DISPLAYCHANGE to the playlist window - whose wndproc has become invalid)

You guys are lucky in that gen_ff happens to get unloaded first for you, but there are others who probably have gen_ff unload after various plugins which dont unsubclass the playlist window (as someone in this thread has already experienced). And more than likely, they are not even aware of the crash because they either don't dock the playlist, or have SEH enabled.

I have no idea why the plugins were loaded in the order they were for me, but the order shouldnt matter anyway, or should be hardcoded to unload gen_ff first. (or gen_ml should unsubclass the playlist window, and the docs should reflect that it is now necessary).

Last edited by shaneh; 3rd April 2004 at 07:04.
Old 3rd April 2004, 12:24   #102
imforumman

Is it just me or is 5.03 faster then the version before? It seems the redrawing is faster.

Keep up the great work!
imforumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 05:59   #103
priestlyboy

Send a message via AIM to priestlyboy Send a message via Yahoo to priestlyboy
Differences between 5.03 and 5.03a

I don't post much to the forums since I use winamp mostly as a music or video player almost exlusively and have had little or no problems with it.

I'm wondering about what was changed for 5.03a. It must have been a rather small change since there was no mention of it in the version history.

Also i was wondering about support for a few new media files I've been hearing about like Ogg Media Video and Matroskia Video i think it's something like that. I know that there is a program that is supporting them already. Media Player Classic.

Thank yous to DJ Egg for giving his time and for being almost consistent in replying to most or all threads. I visit consistently to see what's new and going on but nothing much else unless I feel like there is a need for it.

Ieremiou
priestlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 06:11   #104
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

There was an issue with the new 3-state repeat button messing up older Modern Skins. Since 5.03 wasn't features on the homepage yet it was slipped onto the download servers before the site was updated.

This has happened before actually. The "final" build is usually on the download site a few days before winamp.com is updated. Sometimes a bug that the beta testers missed gets discovered and fixed before the site gets updates. Basically, until you see a version available on Winamp.com, consider it to be a Release Candidate (even when it is on the official Nullsoft download servers).

In 5.02 and above the Ogg Media extension (*.ogm) has been included as a supported extension in the DirectShow decoder. Though, you may need to install OggDS.

Matroska isn't one of the default extensions in the DirectShow decoder as of yet, but it can be added. See this thread for more information on that one.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 07:04   #105
rizod

I've had the exact same problem as described by shaneh. Renaming gen_ff fixes the problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by shaneh

Renaming gen_ff to gen_zff resolved the issue, as I guess it is loaded/unloaded in a different order. Try it for yourself, rename gen_ff to gen_aff and see if it crashes.
rizod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 13:57   #106
inthegray
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to inthegray
For those of you who don't check the other Winamp pages, Steve put up a Security Exploit Advisory, suggesting users with Winamp 2.91 - 5.02 upgrade to 5.03, where the exploit is fixed.

As usual, Winamp Unlimited has covered the topic and has more information, if you need it.
inthegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 17:36   #107
Rellik
Major Dude

it even made it to Slashdot

plenty of uninformed and idiotic opinions to go around there...
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 18:08   #108
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
Are you saying that Slashdot actually loads for you? Hasn't loaded for me in days now...

Edit: well nevermind...

Last edited by YtseJam; 6th April 2004 at 18:59.
YtseJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2004, 18:09   #109
blast7

Quote:
Originally posted by lukeprog
Have any of you experienced the following problem with Winamp 5.03?

- I try to switch skins by right-clicking and navigating to the skin on the menu, but it never switches to that skin. Either that, or a while later it switches to the wrong skin. It's hard to describe because there is a different result every time. Switching to any skin via the Preferences menu always works, though.

This happens to me as well..... the key is to only select skins from the
Options->Skins section of the popup menu

for some reason using
Skins from the popup menu selects either the wrong skin or no skin at all. From a coders perspective it looks like an indexing problem. They probably cache the index from the first list I mention which doesn't resolve correctly on the second list above.

blast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2004, 18:14   #110
blast7

Re: Differences between 5.03 and 5.03a

Quote:
Originally posted by priestlyboy
I don't post much to the forums since I use winamp mostly as a music or video player almost exlusively and have had little or no problems with it.

I'm wondering about what was changed for 5.03a. It must have been a rather small change since there was no mention of it in the version history.

Also i was wondering about support for a few new media files I've been hearing about like Ogg Media Video and Matroskia Video i think it's something like that. I know that there is a program that is supporting them already. Media Player Classic.

Thank yous to DJ Egg for giving his time and for being almost consistent in replying to most or all threads. I visit consistently to see what's new and going on but nothing much else unless I feel like there is a need for it.

Ieremiou

Well, the changelog is at the beginning of this thread and I'd say they addressed quite alot of issues for a minor dot release that's only about two months removed from 5.02.

Old 11th April 2004, 18:16   #111
blast7

Quote:
Originally posted by Dextro
hum who knows, maybe they're getting ready for some new marketing campaign regarding nullsoft...

beats me :S

EDIT: ok stupid question: what is "nuke Library" btw??? :S

You probably already figured this out... but "Nuke Library" just removes all the songs from the Media Library without deleting the files from the hard disk.

Old 11th April 2004, 22:53   #112
Dextro

yeh, I got to that at some other thread, thx for awnsering btw

Old 13th April 2004, 12:36   #113
Galtran

Send a message via ICQ to Galtran Send a message via AIM to Galtran Send a message via Yahoo to Galtran
maybe anyone do what I do... (to put winamp in a strategic place of desktop, and to locate the player supporting skins of the winamp 2 to load in a spot correspondent of the modern).
Would be interesting if the winamp had an option to save this type of configuration.
Galtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2004, 21:06   #114
UltraZelda64

I only have one problem with the docking. I have the main window docked at the top of the screen, and the PL docked on the right side - neither one is set to auto-hide. The main window is set to Always On Top, and the PL isn't (on purpose). I want to have the PL editor at an opacity level of 65-70% until clicked, and the main window toolbar 100% all the time. Problem is, if you set the PL editor at 65%, the main window automatically goes too.

To clarify that a little (if I can) - Basically, I'm using the main window as a type of taskbar, and WANT it just like the Windows Taskbar - always on top and NOT transparent. But I like how when a window is maximized, the PL editor acts as a taskbar and the maximized window never takes up the WHOLE screen (leaving the PL editor visible). The PL editor just takes much more space than the docked main window, so I prefer it to be transparent most of the time.
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2004, 21:37   #115
Rellik
Major Dude

Are you saying you want the playlist to have a different opacity than the main window?

the solution to that is to open preferences > Modern Skins > Alpha Blending Tab > Uncheck "Link all Windows in all Skins"

Now the playlist will have a different opacity than the main window.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 00:45   #116
UltraZelda64

"the solution to that is to open preferences > Modern Skins > Alpha Blending Tab > Uncheck "Link all Windows in all Skins"

That's EXACTLY what I was trying to do. Did that, and it's perfect. Thanks!
Old 15th April 2004, 04:39   #117
UltraZelda64

One more thing. There seems to be a bug - when the playlist is docked, Winamp won't save the settings on exit. Note that I haven't tried to check the status of this with the playlist docked to any side other than the right, and right now I don't have time to. But the main window can be docked without any problems.

There's an easy way around this, though: change any settings, undock the playlist editor, and close Winamp. It should be just as it was before closing, so you'll have to re-dock the playlist.

Someone might want to look into this. Does it happen to anyone else?
Old 15th April 2004, 05:15   #118
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Known issue.

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 12:13   #119
UltraZelda64

Ok, cool - just making sure. Haven't heard anything of it.
Old 16th April 2004, 23:45   #120
xtremeboat

Could docking ever be implemented for the default classic skin??
xtremeboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion