Old 2nd January 2007, 16:48   #1
mysterious_w
Forum King

The Blasphemy Challenge.

http://blasphemychallenge.com/

Seemed like a laugh, and because I always seem to find out about these viral things when it's too late, I got in my response quick to be in the top 1000. Even added my own personal touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z32_4QlAZf4

/edit Here is a video describing how if Christianity is the true religion I have truly fucked myself (Although it does get a bit retarded at the end.)

Also, US TV news reports covering the challenge. 1 2

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 17:47   #2
Schmeet
Major Dude

sending pr0n to ur houses matthew walker.
Schmeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 18:29   #3
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

:massive igor:

I just can't get this kind of 'fun'. These people don't believe in God yet ask Him to damn themselves? What's the point?
It's like standing on the middle of the train rails, while screaming that you don't believe in trains.
If you don't believe in trains, thats fine. but stay away from the fucking rails

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 18:39   #4
zootm
Forum King

Yeah WotL, while I think that was a terrible analogy, I do agree with your point. This seems like a pompous PR exercise which is so up itself that it should consider renaming itself to "Ouroborous Challenge". Fair enough they want to increase the exposure of atheism as a valid belief structure, but why do it in such an intentional "rub their noses in it" style? It's designed to make people feel good about themselves and poke puerile fun at Christians.

Not to mention the fact that it's not pro-Atheist, it's just anti-Christian. They might as well have pinned "...and that is why I have accepted mighty Allah as my lord" on the end.

...rant over!

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 19:27   #5
Mattress
Forum King

So are there any atheist groups out there who constantly attack Islam or other theistic religions? I only ever hear of them ragging on Christianity. Why is that?
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 19:47   #6
Schmeet
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress
So are there any atheist groups out there who constantly attack Islam or other theistic religions? I only ever hear of them ragging on Christianity. Why is that?
Mostly because Christianity is the mainstream religion in the countries where the atheists live. I'd expect it to be a lot more dangerous to be an atheist in Saudi Arabia, for example, than Britain.

I agree with Zootm and Wotl, it's just rather arrogant. Atheism shouldn't be about promoting an 'us and them attitude', but using logic, peaceful and intellectual debate to argue against super-natural ideas.
Schmeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 20:12   #7
germain47

Ahh just a small touch of arrogance and immaturity. However, we certainly know where you stand.

Just a thought. The Christian bible thumper who posted here last week got his thread locked and was subsequently banned. How is this thread any different?
germain47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 20:34   #8
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Most English-speaking Atheists are from a Christian background, and it's the most common religion in the world, notably in most countries which have true freedom of religion.

Old 2nd January 2007, 20:53   #9
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

Be a true Atheist, berate Christians! Fuck understanding and rational thinking. We're Atheists for God's sake!

skryingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 21:20   #10
squakMix
wwwyzzerdd
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by germain47
Ahh just a small touch of arrogance and immaturity. However, we certainly know where you stand.

Just a thought. The Christian bible thumper who posted here last week got his thread locked and was subsequently banned. How is this thread any different?
The creator of this thread didn't register to the forum just to preach his religious or (in this case) antireligious beliefs.
squakMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 01:22   #11
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

but he did start this thread to do so.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 06:29   #12
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
...according to Mark 3:29 in the Holy Bible, "Whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin."
That's one I've never heard before.

Another curiosity in literature... In a spy novel I'm reading at the moment, it says that the top part of the sternum is called the "manubrium". (The lead character takes a toxic dart in that part of his body.) I thought I was quite familiar with human anatomy, but I've never heard of the "manubrium". Has anyone else?

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 09:15   #13
mysterious_w
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by shakey_snake
but he did start this thread to do so.
I apologize for making this thread actually, as I was just earlier complaining about religious debate on fourms. A bit dumb on my part, I think a lock is necessary.

And btw, the main reason I made this thread was to show off that thing I can do with my neck.

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 09:37   #14
zootm
Forum King

*crick*

Old 3rd January 2007, 16:49   #15
jheriko
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to jheriko
Quote:
Originally posted by Schmeet
I'd expect it to be a lot more dangerous to be an atheist in Saudi Arabia, for example, than Britain.
Just to confirm your belief, the punishment for conversion away from Islam is execution.

Nice, eh?

Even in less extreme Islamic countries than Saudi Arabia it is not out of the ordinary to be disowned by your family and possibly even murdered. Of course, the bulk of Muslims that I have known in person believe that these sorts of attitudes are wrong, and even go against the Qu'ran. In fact, the idea of executing people for apostacy originates in a single story, which incidentally is not part of the Qu'ran proper, but the surrounding stories and accounts (hadith) about Mohammed and his life.

-- Jheriko

'Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers'
jheriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 18:29   #16
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
Originally posted by mysterious_w
I apologize for making this thread actually, as I was just earlier complaining about religious debate on fourms. A bit dumb on my part, I think a lock is necessary.

And btw, the main reason I made this thread was to show off that thing I can do with my neck.
fair enough.

You do know that you didn't do it right?
"blasphemes against the Holy Spirit" means "attributing the work of the Spirit to Satan"
Read Mark 3:20-30 for context.
(not that I'd think you actually care)

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 19:14   #17
Mattress
Forum King

I once heard a person speaking in tongues. It creeped me out big time. I don't attribute it to Satan, but I'm not positive it was really the Holy Spirit at work either...
Old 3rd January 2007, 19:16   #18
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Why not? it's not common in most churches, I know, but it's all in the bible. (too lazy to search, I reckon it's at least somewhere in Acts and some of the smaller letters)

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 3rd January 2007, 19:26   #19
Mattress
Forum King

yeah, it's big in Pentecostal churches. I dunno it just felt like they were working themselves up into a frenzy before the tongues started. I guess it felt like it was forced maybe?

It also didn't seem useful to me, I'm pretty sure no one there knew what the guy was saying. What's the point of that?
Old 3rd January 2007, 19:37   #20
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Praying in tongues, just as any other form of praying by the way, is between a person and God. One benefit of praying in tongues is that it's your spririt that's worshiping God directly instead of your thoughts, which may wander off.
If the person was prophesicing (sp?) in tongues, then there should be translation indeed.

Personally I really prefer it if people who pray in tongues in public do it silently though, because it could create a certain atmosphere.

Old 3rd January 2007, 21:18   #21
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

one of atheiest's principle gripes against an organized system of beliefs is that they are always in everyone's face trying to make sure everyone believes the same thing they do. yet lately they are acting just as what they endeavor to defy. recently for all of its (what i can only describe as...) 'trying too hard' atheiests seems as if in all this denying of religon they seem to have orgainized something of their own.

everyone has a reason for believing what they do. i am sure i am not the only one that considers anything that imposes, intrudes, or purposefully beguiles anyone from there own way a cruelness. including over ambitious religions. if the vast majority choose to stay lost that is up to them. all anyone can or should do is provide an example in regards to their own life and how it aplies to them. then give help to those that ask for it.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 22:30   #22
Mattress
Forum King

I never understood why lots of Atheists were so evangelical about it.
Old 3rd January 2007, 23:06   #23
gaekwad2
Foorum King

To show they exist perhaps?
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 23:08   #24
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Value's high, but so is repetition.

Then again, there's only so much range to work with.

Old 3rd January 2007, 23:18   #25
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmeet
but using logic, peaceful and intellectual debate to argue against super-natural ideas.
Why?. What benefit does it provide to anyone to argue against religion?.

I am a moral man, which religion taught me. Experience reinforced that belief, because no one is perfect. I have made mistakes. Usually the ones that were most serious were when I didn't follow Christian morality.

People that don't follow this moral code abuse society and abuse me.

I ask for nothing from anyone. All I ask is that I don't pay when your life gets screwed up because you were an asshole.

To support atheism show me how this enlightened belief makes my life easier.

I'm already paying for all the low lifes on the planet to get a free ride..... because nobody taught em any morals....

My Christian friends are law abiding people that raise their families without excessive expense to the state or me. They don't tend to steal my shit. They helped me some if I've needed it.

They raise kids that go to college and sometimes even the accidental grandchild. They ask nothing. I ask nothing.

But somehow they/I are the problem because we happen to feel the existence of God in our lives and want to live our lives in a beneficial way?.

I could consider the fact that my own feeling about the existence of a living God could be wrong. But how does that help anyone?.

Go to church, say your prayers, eat your brussel sprouts...... you'll be happier....

Last edited by rockouthippie; 4th January 2007 at 00:51.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 01:07   #26
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

OK, the value went up a few points.

Old 6th January 2007, 04:06   #27
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
Quote:
i saw a mormon and yelled "keep pedaling, you'll reach god eventually"

does that count?

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 04:15   #28
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

lament != ragging

Old 6th January 2007, 04:33   #29
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

Quote:
Originally posted by Too-DAMN-Much
does that count?
No, it just makes you look like a twit.
skryingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 10:48   #30
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 11:03   #31
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Too-DAMN-Much
i saw a mormon and yelled "keep pedaling, you'll reach god eventually"

does that count?
I think Mormons are kinda weird, but they never bothered me any. Hell, I've worked for some of them.

They look at you like you nailed Jesus to the cross when you have a smoke or a cup of coffee, but they usually accept a gentle "you could fuck off any time you wanted now...." as correction for that attitude.

The ones I know were honest people and contribute to others. So Mormons are cool, even if a little weird... who isn't?.

Hell, I shoulda become a Mormon. They'll set ya up with a job, a woman, and if she gives you a bunch of shit, you can sick the bishop on her.

Under those circumstances maybe you wouldn't need a beer and a smoke .....

One thing that's really annoying about Mormons is that they seem to be happier than average. But I can't really figure out how to hold it against them, although it's annoying as hell.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions