Old 3rd November 2007, 05:01   #1
jamesl

Send a message via AIM to jamesl
Winamp stops responding

When Winamp is not playing media, and is minimized for an extended period of time, restoring it causes Winamp to stop responding. If the priority is above normal, Windows becomes unresponsive (Despite a 10% max CPU usage at this time).

Current Skin: Big Bento
Winamp Version: 5.5
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 17:39   #2
TheUniqueTiger

Were you using some other programs at that time that consume lots of memory (like games)? Does Winamp finally become responsive or you have to End Task from Task Manager?

You have only One Life... So before You are History, make sure you get into History books. - TheUniqueTiger
My personal website, HiFiBB ... Simply Hifi!, HiFiBB
TheUniqueTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 04:35   #3
eriji

Send a message via ICQ to eriji Send a message via AIM to eriji Send a message via Yahoo to eriji
I am seeing this problem absolutely consistently with Winamp 5.5. It's almost unusable.

It has happened about five times in the last few days.

A couple of additional notes:

1. Winamp doesn't have to be idle for long. Twice it happened after a few minutes. Once of those it was when I added something to the queue. The other times it was restoring a minimized Winamp.

2. The symptom is that Winamp starts using 80% plus of the cpu time. You can change the priority from low to high and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

3. Winamp will NEVER come back. You end up doing a force close and losing your playlist among other things.

4. Nothing else running on the computer while Winamp is minimized and it will still hang up. I was playing Winamp a few minutes ago, I paused it, went to the store, came back in about 20 minutes and it was hung (or it hung when I tried to unpause it.)

This would seem to be a very serious bug... isn't anyone else seeing it?
eriji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 05:04   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by eriji
This would seem to be a very serious bug... isn't anyone else seeing it?
Nope.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#specs

-List of Plugins (Required, or continue to be ignored, it's up to you)
-HJT log
-Any other useful information that might help us to help you.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 22:05   #5
rzazula

I have seen this type of behavior on my system ONLY when I use the Big Bento skin. Once the problem occurs, I kill the runaway CPU winamp.exe process, then rename the Program Files\Winamp\Skins\Big Bento skin directory to anything else, restart Winamp and select the Modern Skin if that is not the default. I can rename the directory to Big Bento which is required for either Bento skin to function. If I wait a few minutes the Bento skin will load without problem until the next time the CPU is found to be above the 90%. I have nothing but Winamp 5.5 standard plug-ins, no additional skins, visual, dsp or other add-ins. Windows XP Pro SP2. It could be helpful if it was possible to specify the startup skin on the command line, thus avoiding the renaming of the folder.
rzazula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 22:37   #6
zombinate

I am also running into this same issue since upgrading to 5.5. The only plugin that I use is "album list," and the issue has manifested with it disabled. I am using windows vista with 3GB of ram. Typically I will see the cpu meter spike, and sometimes will be informed that winamp has stopped responding. If I attempt to manually end the process, it takes tens of minutes before it is actually killed. I have also noted that, upon restarting the player, often it will revert to playing songs that it had passed albums ago (For example, If I am playing multiple full length albums in a row, winamp locks up, and on reload will be starting on album 2 when I had left off listening to album 5). Occasionally attempting to force close the player will not work, and I will have to reboot the machine. Possibly related, when it locks up, USB wireless adaptor drops it's signal.
zombinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2007, 08:31   #7
eriji

Send a message via ICQ to eriji Send a message via AIM to eriji Send a message via Yahoo to eriji
I've upgraded to Winamp 5.51 now and am still having the problem.

The hangs seem random. The only plugins I have are that are not Nullsoft are:
Monkey's Audio Player v4.01
Mad Plugin 0.14.2b
Crudsoft Gapless Output v1.5

Monkey's Audio and Mad I use, the Crudsoft I don't remember where it was from (it may be installed with Winamp I Dont know)

I don't use visualizations. I am using the Aqua_X skin since the upgrade to 5.51. I have not used the Bento one since the upgrade. I have the main control window, equalizer (sometimes) and playlist window open. Other windows are open ONLY if winamp insists on opening them (such as the media library, album art, etc.)

Most commonly, Winamp will stop after being idle for a while. Sometimes between songs, but never in middle of a song. If it is going to stop during playback, it seems that playback may be fuzzy, and you can watch cpu usage start to creep up, and eventually over a 10-15 minute period it will stop (well if you call 90+ cpu usage but not responding stopped!)

It hung up over 10 times today, and had to be EndTask'd.

Otherwise I've not much to add. HJT log attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt startup programs (phoenix) 2007-12-24 00.17.04.txt (13.3 KB, 477 views)
Old 25th December 2007, 01:39   #8
eriji

Ok, it has hung up about six times so far today, and it was more than annoying. It would play about 10-30 min and hang.

I uninstalled the Crudsoft Gapless plugin, and it's played longer (about an hour now) than it has since the 5.5 update.

Maybe 5.5 broke this plugin(s). The last time the plugins (there are three different ones, that seem to be an outgrowth of one original one) were updated was 2001/2002.

It's possible that all the 650,000 times they have been downloaded in total will have a bunch of people having the problem. There have been three or four in this thread.

There's something to look at for the developers.

It's still playing . . . (for now.)
Old 25th December 2007, 01:54   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Winamp supports gapless playback by default, no 3rd-party plugins required.
Maybe that's why the 3rd-party developer hasn't bothered to update the plugin.

And as I said, if the problem persists, provide a List Of Plugins (which if you'd done in the first place, I would've told you that the Crudsoft plugin was probably to blame).
Old 25th December 2007, 02:07   #10
eriji

Here is the system information and plugins list that I left off of the previous posts because I was too lazy to understand the shorthand in a previous post.

Winamp is still running with no stops . . .
Attached Files
File Type: txt plugin list (phoenix) 2007-12-24 18.01.41.txt (5.1 KB, 427 views)
Old 25th December 2007, 02:16   #11
eriji

One more attachment. . .

still running . . .
Attached Files
File Type: zip system information (phoenix) 2007-12-24 17.50.10.zip (50.2 KB, 4987 views)
Old 25th December 2007, 02:29   #12
eriji

Ok, a few questions

1. I have had winamp since 2000 and pro since around 2002, upgrading along and along. How should I have known that Winamp now supports gapless? It didn't originally, so that's why they wrote the plugins. And there is no note in the the "Staff Reviews" saying this in the plugin description, and the last user comment was from 2006 (recent in terms of plugin comments)

2. I have never gotten a message to update a plugin since I have had winamp. How do I know when to do this? Other programs like Firefox and Adobe InDesign give me messages about plug-ins/add-ons constantly.

3. Why is everyone so crabby? The VERY NEXT time I posted, I included a list of plug-ins, as the esteemed Mr. Egg asked. Very soon thereafter I posted the other information requested, and, as noted, at my error it wasn't posted in the first place. And, I DID post again when I found something POSITIVE that may have FIXED the problem, not like most people who just go away and never say anything.

Merry Mid-Winter.
Old 26th December 2007, 19:56   #13
rzazula

CPU spiking additional observations....

It has been a while since my last post regarding Winamp spiking CPU and becoming unusable.... We may be looking at any number of different issues here that seam the same, but I have had some additional observations. I was able to recreate the CPU behaviour by double clicking a bookmark to a Shoutcast radio station that was no longer valid due to a station IP address change. This would occur even if the skin was not a Bento skin. When using the Winamp Modern skin, I did not have to rename folders to restart Winamp without issue. While I love the Big Bento skin, I have found it easier to just stay with the Winamp Modern. Since upgrading to 5.51 I have not had the issue re-occur at all, but have not tested on several systems I use.
Old 11th March 2009, 15:34   #14
HopeUnique

I've just upgraded to latest WinAmp 5.551 and this annoying problem happened again.

It happened to me several times for the last year or two and occurs only with Big Bento skin.
In contrast to the cases described above, in my case Winamp does not even launch (no visible GUI) and eats 50% of dual core CPU. Killing winamp.exe process and restarting Winamp/computer does not help. I resolve this situation as other people described above - by killing "%AppData%\Winamp" folder and using skin other than Bento.

OS is WinXP SP3 (English).

Strange, what's wrong with this Bento skin? Why it works for months and then suddenly Winamp refuses even to launch? Only complete cleanup and reinstall of Winamp allows using Bento skin again...
HopeUnique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 16:05   #15
HopeUnique

I found file "guru.log" in "%AppData%\WinAmp" folder with the following contents. It's old but maybe will be helpful to diagnose the problem.

Wed Sep 24 19:36:45 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Ignoring call - #001C.00A01657.69 Null object called
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Internal error - #0021.00A0166E.69 Script Fatal Error
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Internal error - #0021.00A01685.69 Script Fatal Error
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Internal error - #0021.00A0169C.69 Script Fatal Error
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Internal error - #0021.00A016B3.69 Script Fatal Error
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Internal error - #0021.00A016E1.69 Script Fatal Error
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Internal error - #0021.00A016F8.69 Script Fatal Error
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Internal error - #0021.00A0170F.69 Script Fatal Error
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Internal error - #0021.00A01726.69 Script Fatal Error
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Internal error - #0021.00A0173D.69 Script Fatal Error
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Internal error - #0021.00A221B2.69 Script Fatal Error
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Internal error - #0021.00A221C9.69 Script Fatal Error
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Internal error - #0021.00A2237A.69 Script Fatal Error
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Internal error - #0021.00A0239A.69 Script Fatal Error
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Internal error - #0021.00A023BA.69 Script Fatal Error
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Internal error - #0021.00A023D0.69 Script Fatal Error
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Ignoring call - #001C.00AB23E1.69 Null object called
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Ignoring call - #001C.00AA23F3.69 Null object called
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Ignoring call - #001C.00A8241B.69 Null object called
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Ignoring call - #001C.00A42443.69 Null object called
Wed Sep 24 20:42:07 2008 (Big Bento/C:\Program Files\WinAmp\skins\/Big Bento/scripts/notifier.maki) - Ignoring call - #001C.00A6244E.69 Null object called
Old 11th March 2009, 16:26   #16
rzazula

5.51 is now old! Try 5.54 and see if there is any improvement

It has been a very long time since I saw this behaviour, runaway CPU. If are not using the current version, that is always worth an upgrade.
Old 11th March 2009, 17:11   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

5.551 is the latest version.

The dates from your guru.log are from 2008.
Are there any with the same error from 2009?

Just delete studio.xnf (modern skins settings file) from %appdata%\winamp
which should restore all default skin settings.

If you can get Bento to load, try turning off the Notifier (Main menu -> Options -> Notifications -> Never show) as that seems to be what's causing the problem for you.

If the problem persists...

HijackThis log & List Of Plugins will be required (see my first reply above).
Old 12th March 2009, 15:33   #18
HopeUnique

Thanks for replying!

There's no newer guru.log unfortunately. Don't know why. Maybe it's turned off somewhere in the options? Or maybe this time the error has some other reason.

I tried your suggestion with deleting studio.xnf - it didn't help, the same hang.

I have copies of WinAmp folders in Program Files and in AppData, so I can help in finding root cause of this problem if you (or someone) is interested. Meanwhile I'm using fresh install.

Please let me know if you want to spend time on this and I will provied HijackThis log & List Of Plugins and other stuff. I can also send zipped WinAmp folders with problem instance.
Old 17th February 2011, 18:20   #19
n0ukf

Send a message via ICQ to n0ukf Send a message via AIM to n0ukf Send a message via Yahoo to n0ukf
I've found that after a while (hours or days) Winamp and Firefox will mutually lock up. Closing one from Task Manager Processes tab will usually free up the other.
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support