Old 26th November 2013, 00:56   #1
gpm

Simple way to add "Favorites"

I searched and read everything I could so if there is an obvious answer to this my apologies.

How can I do a one click add to "Favorite" or current playlist? It appears to be a multi step less than intuitive process. I created a playlist in Winamp and tried to add to it. I tried to drag an drop. I clicked + and add file - this takes me to the directory where I pointed it to for storing playlists............

DESIRED SCENARIO
1. Listening to random play of my entire collection of thousands of songs in wav format.
2. Hear a song that I really like and would like to add to a playlist for when I am on the road. (Cannot take thousands because they are large wav files and I have a good DAC)
3. Want to click a single button so that this song is now in the "ON THE ROAD" playlist.

Seems simple. Maybe it is. Ideas? Anyone? Buehler?
gpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 04:01   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi gpm,

In the latest version (5.6.6.3507), you can drag selected items from one playlist to another using the playlists listed in the media library.

In your case, you would have to make a playlist containing all your songs. Import it and all your other playlists to the media library. Right click on the "Playlists" heading in the media library panel on the left and select the appropriate import command. I suggest using the option to link to the actual playlists instead of letting separate media library copies be made. Media library copies are not automatically kept in sync with the actual lists (if you make changes to them).

Then while your master list is playing, you can look at it in the media library. Open the "Playlists" tree in the panel on the left, select the name of the master list, and its contents will be listed in the panel on the right. The song playing is highlighted, but the listing does not automatically scroll to it (you have to do the scrolling yourself). Select the song and drag it to the name of the playlist you want to add it to in the panel on the left.

Not single click, but simple enough, imo.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 04:13   #3
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Latest version is 5.666 Build 3510.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 05:44   #4
gpm

Thanks for the quick and thorough answer. I am trying to settle on a media player and obviously Winamp is the top of the heap. However, I am not sure I want to make several clicks and drag & drops to just mark the currently playing song as a favorite. If you have ever used Spotify (the one I am most familiar with) you simply click a box and it is done. I think I could use Spotify for that purpose with my local music but I don't know if it plays WAV files and it certainly is not as powerful as Winamp.

If anyone has a solution or is working on a solution please let me know.

Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 09:57   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Not familiar with Spotify, but there must be some prior setup involved. I don't understand how just clicking a box gets the song file names (and locations, if necessary) transferred to a particular playlist. I assume all the songs will be in the same folder as the playlist so that specific path location info is not needed.

Anyway, in Winamp there are many ways to do things. I discussed a drag & drop method earlier because you said you couldn't get drag & drop to work.

A different method you can use is to hold down the <Ctrl> key and click on songs in the active playlist in the playlist editor to select (and highlight) them. After you have selected all you want, right click on any 1 of the selected songs and use the "Send to:" command to add them to a library playlist (an existing one or a new one you can name at the time).

Then you can use the "Manage Playlist" menu command (in the media library's Playlists panel) to export a copy of the library playlist (you added to or just made) that you can take as a separate M3U, M3U8, or PLS type file for use elsewhere.

You do have to add the selected group of songs to a library database list and then export a separate playlist file, but there is no drag & drop involved. There may be a plug-in that will do the adding and exporting for you after the songs are selected, but I'm not aware of any.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin

Last edited by Aminifu; 26th November 2013 at 11:01.
Old 27th November 2013, 00:30   #6
gpm

Thanks for the ideas. I will give it a try and will look at the currently available plug ins.

I have attached a screen shot of Spotify. There is no setup required. Simply one click on the "Star" and it gets added to the "Starred" list. Maybe one of the programmers here could figure out how to do this. It would be a nice add on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/109903318@N03/11076185834/
Old 27th November 2013, 00:44   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

I've been using Pandora for quite a while. Intending to check out Spotify and the other new services (except Apple's).

That would be a useful feature for Winamp, much faster than the various ways to accomplish the task now.

Old 5th December 2013, 05:32   #8
xfullmetal17

Only issue with Spotify is no gapless on local files and it feels bloated to me (similar online services to Winamp, save for Shoutcast).
Plus it can't do online .m3u/.pls files, so...
xfullmetal17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support